Another WAMC, because PANIC!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted887884

I usually don't post on here, but my school just contacted me and said, with the number of interviews I have, I need to start thinking of my options. D:

I have gotten 4 interviews so far (out of 39 applied to. I know it's sort of low, but my SO needs to be able to have a job wherever we move to).

COMLEX 1: 553
COMLEX 2: 543
PE: passed
(did not take USMLE)

Did not honor on any rotations last year

LoR:
Physiatrist, Radiologist, GI, ICU

Other: physical exam and OMM tutor in 2nd year

The good news is that I rotated at my first choice and they interviewed me and seemed to be pleased with me. I have lots of ties to the community there and a surprising number of personal connections to the Chief of Staff (who also personally knows my physiatrist LoR writer and has been trying to get him on staff for years). So all looks really good there... but I still worry.

I know this year has been absolutely crazy in terms of number of applicants, so predictions are all out of sorts. But I would really appreciate some feedback. Really, what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you continue on forward as planned and wait to the match. Have a back up plan if you don't match and want to scramble or do a research year. Doing a scramble will be much harder to match in conjunction with your SO. Can always apply to more prelim programs and try to secure your internship. If you only match to prelim you can take all your vacation time next year to interview and go through the match again. Or sometimes you can get a categorical spot from pre-lim in internal medicine if they like you.

I usually don't post on here, but my school just contacted me and said, with the number of interviews I have, I need to start thinking of my options. D:

I have gotten 4 interviews so far (out of 39 applied to. I know it's sort of low, but my SO needs to be able to have a job wherever we move to).

COMLEX 1: 553
COMLEX 2: 543
PE: passed
(did not take USMLE)

Did not honor on any rotations last year

LoR:
Physiatrist, Radiologist, GI, ICU

Other: physical exam and OMM tutor in 2nd year

The good news is that I rotated at my first choice and they interviewed me and seemed to be pleased with me. I have lots of ties to the community there and a surprising number of personal connections to the Chief of Staff (who also personally knows my physiatrist LoR writer and has been trying to get him on staff for years). So all looks really good there... but I still worry.

I know this year has been absolutely crazy in terms of number of applicants, so predictions are all out of sorts. But I would really appreciate some feedback. Really, what are my chances?

I think you should be ok. You’ll probably end up with 7-8 interviews, but having a good situation with your #1 is definitely a positive. BTW...I hope you have a good reason for limiting your options because your SO. If you don’t match...you’re doing NOBODY a favor.

Have you started contacting programs yet? I was in your shoes this time last year with ~5 interviews and had scores about 100 points lower + another red flag. Ended up with 3 more interviews after a simple 'have you checked out my application, I love your program etc..' email. I didn't care about being annoying bc I was in full panic mode. Ended up matching at one of those said programs. Now is the time to take matters into your own hands and atleast know where you stand than to hope invites will trickle in.

That being said - it's a crapshoot and this gave me the (probably false) sense of being in control by getting a yes or no.

Last edited: