Answering "yes" if accepted to other medical schools during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tabiyou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I hope this finds you well on a Friday afternoon. In Spanish, there is saying that goes, "la curiosidad mató al gato, pero la satisfacción lo revivó." Translated, this means, "Curiosity killed the cat. But the satisfaction brought him back to life."

During interviews this year, I was asked if I was accepted into other schools (only happened once). I answered truthfully (yes) and that I was interested in attending school. I then proceeded to explain why I would like to attend this school (all genuine, valid reasons). As these batches of rejections come in, I found out I was ultimately rejected from this school.

For the record, I am not upset. I am extremely grateful I got into Medical School this year. I am thrilled that this school offered me an interview invite and an opportunity to learn more about this program. I recognize other people didn't get interviews or even acceptances this year. I am just curious, as is my nature.

Has anybody else had similar experience?

Members don't see this ad.

not sure what you thought would happen...

Reactions: 1 user
Is it in the applicants best interest to say no to the question of whether or not they have been accepted to other programs? I think the better answer is, yes I have been accepted to x program but my top choice is this school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a no-win question. If you say no, it makes you seem like an inherently undesirable candidate. If you say yes, it makes it seem like you might not come to the school. However, if only because it's the easiest thing to remember, you should tell the truth.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes, we comfort ourselves knowing that a really good applicant will have gotten in somewhere when we feel sad that there is no room at our school. That said, I have never asked this in an interview and I never would. I don't know anyone at my school who does ask.

Have to agree with bananafish94; tell the truth.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a no-win question. If you say no, it makes you seem like an inherently undesirable candidate. If you say yes, it makes it seem like you might not come to the school. However, if only because it's the easiest thing to remember, you should tell the truth.
totally agree...better to be honest and not get into that school than get caught in a lie and still not get in

I said something along the lines of: "yes, I've been fortunate to receive an acceptance/couple acceptances, but at this point I've not made up my mind as to which school would be the best fit and as such I am keeping an open mind". Worked for the most part since it was true.

Reactions: 1 user