Any black female pre-meds out there? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone. How is everything going for you all? Me? Well :scared: that's all I got to say!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have a question about housing for med school. I am a 23 year old, single, black woman with no children. I was planning on buying a home wherever I go to school at. Right now it seems like I will be attending VCU, but I am still waiting on Morehouse and Drew. Is anyone else planning on buying a house? When should I start looking? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I have a question about housing for med school. I am a 23 year old, single, black woman with no children. I was planning on buying a home wherever I go to school at. Right now it seems like I will be attending VCU, but I am still waiting on Morehouse and Drew. Is anyone else planning on buying a house? When should I start looking? Any advice?

As soon as you decide where you want to go to school, you should start looking for housing. You can't decide where to live too soon because the time really goes by quickly once you start getting ready to move and get settled.

Richmond has some affordable housing and many interesting and historic neighborhoods. You can do loads of things from a distance if you make contact with a good realtor who can keep an eye out for something that meets your needs.

Hey there jsnuka!! All is well and Orgo II is almost over. :clap: I am so ready for a break and to get the MCAT over. I was looking over the AMCAS 2007 and some of that stuff is so confusing. :confused: Anyway I am so excited to be getting ready to apply in a couple of months. :D

Extremefocus are you going to VCU's second look weekend?

we need some more black males interested in medicine. I'm the only person I know from my university that's applying to med school... sad

Hey there jsnuka!! All is well and Orgo II is almost over. :clap: I am so ready for a break and to get the MCAT over. I was looking over the AMCAS 2007 and some of that stuff is so confusing. :confused: Anyway I am so excited to be getting ready to apply in a couple of months. :D

Yey! The light at the end of the tunnel. I sure hope you have a little breather before you tackle the MCAT and that AMCAS application. If you download the instructions, and begin skimming, you will find that it's not as daunting as you first realized. If you haven't already done so, this is a good time to request an unofficial transcript. You will have it and you can just add the classes that you are currently taking when you get those grades. It makes sense to work on that application in steps.:eek:

we need some more black males interested in medicine. I'm the only person I know from my university that's applying to med school... sad

Black males in medicine are an endangered species. Glad to have you posting on our little positive thread. Check out our forum Underrepresented in Medicine which is a subforum in "Topics in Healthcare" further down the Main Forums page. There's an awesome list of brothas and sistas who are headed for medical school this year. :D

Greetings everyone! I hope you guys are having a good weekend:)

I wanted to know what everyone thinks about pre- matriculation programs. I applied for one at the medical school I will be attending this fall but I just don't know. Initially, I thought it would be great so that I could have a booster once medical school begins but people tell me that I should take the summer before medical school off to just relax so that has me thinking. I would have about a 2 week break from the time ugrad closes till the time the pre- matriculation program begins. The program is about 6 weeks long and I would have about a 1-2 week break after the program was over before orientation for school begins. I would like to spend those 6 weeks at home with the family but I doubt I'd be doing anything productive during that time;) Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated :D

blk male here. so who here is headed to usc-columbia with me. that's univ of south carolina

Greetings everyone! I hope you guys are having a good weekend:)

I wanted to know what everyone thinks about pre- matriculation programs. I applied for one at the medical school I will be attending this fall but I just don't know. Initially, I thought it would be great so that I could have a booster once medical school begins but people tell me that I should take the summer before medical school off to just relax so that has me thinking. I would have about a 2 week break from the time ugrad closes till the time the pre- matriculation program begins. The program is about 6 weeks long and I would have about a 1-2 week break after the program was over before orientation for school begins. I would like to spend those 6 weeks at home with the family but I doubt I'd be doing anything productive during that time;) Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated :D

If the benefits of attending a Pre-Matric program outweight the benefits of resting, then the Pre-Matric program makes good sense. I can tell you from having the experience of being an instructor for my medical school's Pre-Matric program, that all of the people who participated in the program had a huge headstart first year. This set the tone for a strong second, third and fourth year.

Rest is good but do what you need most. If you need the extra boost in order to make the adjustment from undergraduate into medical school, then do the Pre-Matric. If not, then rest and enjoy your summer.

blk male here. so who here is headed to usc-columbia with me. that's univ of south carolina

Congratulations on your acceptance. Glad to have you here. Check out our URM Subforum under "Topics in Medicine" and add your name to the wall.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the benefits of attending a Pre-Matric program outweight the benefits of resting, then the Pre-Matric program makes good sense. I can tell you from having the experience of being an instructor for my medical school's Pre-Matric program, that all of the people who participated in the program had a huge headstart first year. This set the tone for a strong second, third and fourth year.

Rest is good but do what you need most. If you need the extra boost in order to make the adjustment from undergraduate into medical school, then do the Pre-Matric. If not, then rest and enjoy your summer.

Thanks for your input :D
It will probably help in the long run so I that I won't ben overwhelmed my first year in med school.

PHD,

No, I'm not going to the second look. I don't have the money for a plane ticket right now. I will probably go out there sometime this summer. You going?

Hello everyone! Hey Njbmd, I probably won't have any time between the semesters and the MCAT. I take it in June and I will also be in spring classes, so I have a load for the summer. :scared: I'm sure that I'll be fine though. :) I have already been looking at the '07 app just to get a feel for what I'll be doing. It seems to be alot of work if you get behind. I guess the app for '08 will open up in May so I will start looking things over some more to be fully prepared.

Hello everyone! Hey Njbmd, I probably won't have any time between the semesters and the MCAT. I take it in June and I will also be in spring classes, so I have a load for the summer. :scared: I'm sure that I'll be fine though. :) I have already been looking at the '07 app just to get a feel for what I'll be doing. It seems to be alot of work if you get behind. I guess the app for '08 will open up in May so I will start looking things over some more to be fully prepared.

Nothing like being prepared. Be sure to rest a bit and organize and organize some more so that you get everything done. I am sure that you are going to "rock" so don't be scared.

Thanks njbmd!! :love: I am just so thankful that I can even consider medicine as a career and I am not going to jack up my opportunities. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I hope everyone is having a good week so far. I am getting ready for finals on Wed. and I am so happy to be at another turning point in my life!! :)

So I've been moving along in my application process. Not moving too quickly, but moving nonetheless. I've now chopped my list down to 24 schools. I need to take out atleast another 10. I'm still waiting to get my Divserity in Medschool handbook (I forget what its called exactly). I also need to email the diversity coordinator at these 24 medschools. Do you ladies have any suggestions as to what I should be saying?

also, all the ebst to anyone else that in exams right now :)

MissLys

So I've been moving along in my application process. Not moving too quickly, but moving nonetheless. I've now chopped my list down to 24 schools. I need to take out atleast another 10. I'm still waiting to get my Divserity in Medschool handbook (I forget what its called exactly). I also need to email the diversity coordinator at these 24 medschools. Do you ladies have any suggestions as to what I should be saying?

also, all the ebst to anyone else that in exams right now :)

MissLys

Take a look at these threads.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=392529

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=381946

Good Luck and keep us abreast of how things progress for you.:luck:

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to you all!! :love:

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is having a good day. Well the verdict has been decided, I will be retaking Orgo I and II in the summer. :mad: I am so disappointed in myself for getting a C- in both of them. It just makes me feel like I shouldn't even being thinking about med school right now, but hey it's just a stupid class that I have to master right? :rolleyes: I was supposed to take the lab in the summer but I won't do it b/c it meets twice a week, 8hrs each day, NEVER!! :) Anyways enough about me, what's going on with you all?

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is having a good day. Well the verdict has been decided, I will be retaking Orgo I and II in the summer. :mad: I am so disappointed in myself for getting a C- in both of them. It just makes me feel like I shouldn't even being thinking about med school right now, but hey it's just a stupid class that I have to master right? :rolleyes: I was supposed to take the lab in the summer but I won't do it b/c it meets twice a week, 8hrs each day, NEVER!! :) Anyways enough about me, what's going on with you all?

Sorry to hear that your grade wasn't as high as you hoped.Look at it this way, you are really going to KNOW that organic after the summer is over. Just tell the medical school interviewer when asked that you weren't "carbon-friendly" until the summer. You are going to do fine and you won't be the first person to re-take Organic Chemistry. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about Orgo...not a fun class. I did ok when I took it in GU (a C+ first semester and a B+ the next), but I decided to take it in fall 05 as prep for the MCATs since it had been so long since I took it last. The good thing was just like njbmd said after the class was over I really felt like I knew the information. Good thing since I'm taking the MCATs yet again this summer. I took it pass fail though because I was ok with my grades and wanted to focus on the information rather than just how I cored on the tests. Not the best way to spend your summer, but you can do it!

Thanks for the encouragement njbmd and UVABranch, I am trying so hard to look at this in a positive light. I keep telling myself that I am glad to have gotten a "C-" rather than an "F" but I still feel like a failure. I'm going to try to get over it and not worry about it, but rather move on and count it as an experience to chalk up. Thanks again guys!! :thumbup:

hi everyone,

i am soo glad for this forum, especially for the black women. i need your advice.

I did the MCAT last year and didn't do too well 8 PS 8 BS, 7V O. I am about to graduate with a 3.5 with honors and am planning to do my MPH at an ivy league this fall. Do you suggest I retake the MCAT or just try with those scores? I was somewhat discouraged bcuz I worked soo hard for the exam, but ahh well. Tell me what do you think? I am going to apply for Fall '09. I have everything else except for the great MCAT score, I think...suggestions?

:confused: Hey,

Just wanted to add to the post, First congrats to all of you all!

I am a transfer student who had recently decided to go pre-med. I just got into Berkeley and Davis, but I cannot choose. Does anybody have any advice as to what school would be better as far as having a better chance of getting into medical school. Also since Im entering a whole new world next quater, any advice as to what classes to take? What not to?

hi everyone,

i am soo glad for this forum, especially for the black women. i need your advice.

I did the MCAT last year and didn't do too well 8 PS 8 BS, 7V O. I am about to graduate with a 3.5 with honors and am planning to do my MPH at an ivy league this fall. Do you suggest I retake the MCAT or just try with those scores? I was somewhat discouraged bcuz I worked soo hard for the exam, but ahh well. Tell me what do you think? I am going to apply for Fall '09. I have everything else except for the great MCAT score, I think...suggestions?

Take the MCAT again. Speak with the pre professional advisor(s) at the school you graduated fro mand the one you will be attending. Contact the Office of Diversity/Minority/Multicultural Affairs at the schools you are considering submitting applications to in the future. Secure a copy of the Medical School Admissions Requirements and Minority Student Opportunities in US Medical Schools, both published by the AAMC. Do well in your graduate studies.

Good Luck!!!!:luck:

:confused: Hey,

Just wanted to add to the post, First congrats to all of you all!

I am a transfer student who had recently decided to go pre-med. I just got into Berkeley and Davis, but I cannot choose. Does anybody have any advice as to what school would be better as far as having a better chance of getting into medical school. Also since Im entering a whole new world next quater, any advice as to what classes to take? What not to?

It will not matter which one you decide to attend. Just do well in your classes at whichever one you choose. Reach out to the preprofessional advisor at that school and purchase copies of the Medical School Admissions Requirements and Minority Student Opportunities in US Medical Schools books from the AAMC or take a look at them in your local library.

Good Luck!!!:luck:

thank you jsnuka!!!!:) I have the MSAR but will try and get a copy of the other one. thank you for your input. i am planning to work my butt off:idea:

Where/what are you doing now?

Thanks, I ll be sure to get that book.... something tells me I will do better at Davis, so Im pretty sure that's where I ll be next Fall.

Hey there everyone how's it going? Today seems to be a wonderful day and the AMCAS '08 is out!! :clap: I have already completed the first part of the personal information now I feel like I've done something. :D I have just changed my MCAT date b/c I just wasn't prepared to take it next month. At first I felt bad for changing it, but I need to get a nice score, and now I can take it a little slower while taking my spr/summer courses. :thumbup: I am also gearing up to take a 4 wk prep couse, so my summer will be pretty full. This was the highlight of my entire day besides waking up and breathing God's wonderful air and being excited about the app showing up online. :eek:

Hello everyone, just thought I would stop in before I left work for the day. Hope everyone is having a good day. Try to enjoy some sunshine today. :D

Hello everyone, just thought I would stop in before I left work for the day. Hope everyone is having a good day. Try to enjoy some sunshine today. :D

But it's raining :(

Don't feel bad about changing your MCAT test date. The worst thing you can do is walk into the room to take the test unprepared. So many people take it so lightly and just go to take the test after a week long cram session. I am not trying to make you nervous or anything but the MCAT is a test to be taken seriously and in postponing it, you are taking it seriously. After my experience, the best advice I could tell anyone about the MCAT is to take it when you feel that you are really READY for the test.
:luck:

Hey there everyone how's it going? Today seems to be a wonderful day and the AMCAS '08 is out!! :clap: I have already completed the first part of the personal information now I feel like I've done something. :D I have just changed my MCAT date b/c I just wasn't prepared to take it next month. At first I felt bad for changing it, but I need to get a nice score, and now I can take it a little slower while taking my spr/summer courses. :thumbup: I am also gearing up to take a 4 wk prep couse, so my summer will be pretty full. This was the highlight of my entire day besides waking up and breathing God's wonderful air and being excited about the app showing up online. :eek:

I wondered if you would change your test date. You made a wise decision that in the long run, is the best one to make. No need to rush this process because you want success at the other end and speed doesn't help much.

But it's raining :(

Don't feel bad about changing your MCAT test date. The worst thing you can do is walk into the room to take the test unprepared. So many people take it so lightly and just go to take the test after a week long cram session. I am not trying to make you nervous or anything but the MCAT is a test to be taken seriously and in postponing it, you are taking it seriously. After my experience, the best advice I could tell anyone about the MCAT is to take it when you feel that you are really READY for the test.
:luck:

You are absolutely correct about the above. Taking the MCAT when you are ready is the wisest course. FWIW, it's raining and chilly here. I figure that the weather is just making Queen Elizabeth feel right at home. I was over at VCU yesterday when she was in Richmond and watched all of the excitement from the hospital. For us in Virginia, it's the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in North America. The Queen is hanging out with us for the celebration.

hi everyone,

In general schools want to see higher scores in each section (10's on average). I know that the sections are used a predictors for how you will fair in classes and the USMLE1 (I think it BS and PS respectively...but don't quote me). If you didn't use a prep course the firat time you might want to try that bebacsue it can help with your test taking abilities and thus boopst your score. You might also want to consider taking a science class or two during your MPH to keep you in the "sciences mindset" (maybe over the summer, and it can help your GPA even if only a little). I think an MPH is great especially if you are interested in research and "major" in Epi or biostats. That could prove to be helpfull. Good luck in your MPH (I'm fininshing mine this summer), and good luck applying in 08/09!

In general schools want to see higher scores in each section (10's on average). I know that the sections are used a predictors for how you will fair in classes and the USMLE1 (I think it BS and PS respectively...but don't quote me). If you didn't use a prep course the firat time you might want to try that bebacsue it can help with your test taking abilities and thus boopst your score. You might also want to consider taking a science class or two during your MPH to keep you in the "sciences mindset" (maybe over the summer, and it can help your GPA even if only a little). I think an MPH is great especially if you are interested in research and "major" in Epi or biostats. That could prove to be helpfull. Good luck in your MPH (I'm fininshing mine this summer), and good luck applying in 08/09!

Thank you very much for your input. The sad part is I took a prep course that time but I had a rough summer...anyhoo, I hope to enjoy the MPH. How was your experience and what do you recommend? Also for the science classes, do you mean "extra" science classes or within the MPH program?

Thanks a lot!!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Just dropping in to say hello to everyone!:biglove:

Hey there everyone how's everything going? Just wanted to drop in to say hello!! Hello 1Path! :love:
Njbmd and Cagedbird, when I changed the date it felt like a big load was lifted off of my shoulders. I knew that I had to do it so I just took it like a trooper. ;) Well, I am headed back to the classroom today for another round with Orgo I and tomorrow Biochem! Yipeeee. :D I hope everyone has a wonderful summer semester, and for those who are taking the MCAT this month, do what you do!! :thumbup: and may God give you the stamina that you need to conquer that exam. Also to those who are filling out AMCAS (including myself) happy trails. :D

Good morning everyone!

I have a quick question...I just finished off my sophomore year and will be going into my Junior Year, which is a huge year. And I am still debating whether I should apply 09' or 10'...My reason being, that after calculating my GPA after Junior Year I could potentially be getting an overall GPA of a 3.46 & a BCPM GPA of a 3.69

I feel as though this GPA might be too low and it would be in my best interest to wait it out until Senior year (potential GPA 3.57 BCPM 3.78). What do you all think? Take a risk? or wait it out--take a year off--clinical experience abroad, etc etc?

I have not taken the MCAT--plan to do so next May.

Thanks in advance. God Bless.

Hello all :)
I'm a little jealous that njbmd got to see the queen.
sistahnik- I really like your positive attidue and outlook..that will carry you far in the grueling process known as medical school admissions. Btw, I LOVED biochem.

highcity- That is a very tough call. Your gpa is not bad but a higher gpa is always a plus. Your bcpm is very solid. I think what you should do is look at a MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirement) book and then judge from there if your gpa is within the range of the schools you are applying to. You'd be surprised at the wide range of gpas people have been accepted with. It is hard to say what you should do as the mcat is big factor as well. When you take the mcat and get your scores back, I think you will have a better idea of how you should proceed.
Hope that helps.

:)

Hey all!! Just finished my 1st day of Biochem and I have to say my antennas were really pushing up! :D I enjoyed talking about proteins and nucleic acid and amino's, I just have to brush up on my GChem. :oops: Anyways, the 1st 2 days back to school have been really interesting. Orgo was cool as well. I hope you guys are doing ok today.
CagedBird, I have learned that when you have issues, it's better to conquer than to be conquered!! If I didn't have my God watching my back I would be in trouble. I have been infused with so much of His love and mercy that when I have difficulties, I just look deep within. :love:

Thanks Cagedbird, I will take your advice and wait until MCAT scores come back

Hello everyone!! Just got out of Orgo. :D Have a great day.

heyy wanted to say hi to everyone send positive vibes to everyone! I just finished my first year in UNDERGRAD and is patiently waiting for what the future brings. Reading all your achievements and just feeling your positivity has inspired me tremendously. This past semester was very difficult and I am somewhat anxious to see how I did in Calc and Bio but I know God will work it out =) Yall stay blessed and remain in your beautiful spirits!

hello all,

I can't believe I'm graduating from undergrad this month :oops:- 4 rough years but God saw me through...

all the best to everyone!!!:thumbup:

Hey there,
Can you all tell me what exactly the BCPM GPA is?

hello all,

I can't believe I'm graduating from undergrad this month :oops:- 4 rough years but God saw me through...

all the best to everyone!!!:thumbup:

Congratulations on your graduation! It was four years of hard work and you made it! Go and enjoy yourself.:hardy:

Hey there,
Can you all tell me what exactly the BCPM GPA is?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math Grade Point Average

Thank you very much for your input. The sad part is I took a prep course that time but I had a rough summer...anyhoo, I hope to enjoy the MPH. How was your experience and what do you recommend? Also for the science classes, do you mean "extra" science classes or within the MPH program?

Thanks a lot!!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Overall I had a good experience, but definitly a non traditional on. I went to one school then transfered to the current school (partially to put me closer to the med school I want to go to, and because I liked this city better and thought I'd have more oportunities). While in the MPH prog I took the oportunity to take on some additional leadersip roles. I was the VP of the PubH Student Assoc, and ended up on the med school Student Assoc as a member of their exec board (even though I wasn't a med student, kinda long story, but good experience). Then after that I am/was the University Student Assoc representative for the school of PubH on the Univ Senate (making me a "senator" my school is horribly political, so may people join because they have some other political asperations). I was randomly voted as a write in canidate and said I would do it so the school was represented. If nothing else I want the school I go/went to to be the best it can be, even if I'm not in love w/ all aspects of the school. If i had it to do all over agin I would have gotten my MPH from one of my top two schools. My one has a school of PubH the other only has a program. Either way, I eventually got a job w/ the univ and that helped w/ tuition, and I sloed down my MPH progress to take additional science classes. I need another 13 credits to get a 2nd BA in Bio. I excelled in the epi and biostats classes, and recenetly in the policy classes. Some of my policy professors think I should go to law school...but that's another story. I worked in research before getting into school, so in some cases the classes were boaring or redundant, but many schools will allow you to augment your curiculim especailly if the courses will not be useful in your career/educational goals/ect. If I were you I would focus on finishing your MPH, and only if you have extra time take classes...don't delay finishing your MPH just to take classes. I also did it for financial reasons to reduce the burden of UG, MPH, and MD loans over my lifetime, and eliminate my revolving debt so that when I do get to school, my car and rent/mortgage, and insurance are the only things I'll have to worry about not my old saks card, or the citibank visa I signed up for at one of the football games!

Only one of the science classes I took counted toward my MPH, the rest were all "extra" (cell bio, physiology, etc). I mean extra classes since the ones used towards your MPH will only count for that GPA and the others would be viewed as more of a postbac. But either way it will keep you in that mindset (because MPH clases are sooo not scienc), and when you get good grades that will be good as well. ieAnyway, I'll be done with my MPH this summer, and have my 2nd BA hopefully in December (maybe May depending on how many classes I can take w/ my work schedule). If you don't have good LORs from your UG make sure to befriend your MPH professors. In some cases they are also medical faculty and that might help if you are trying to go to that school for med school too. I only recommend getting an MPH because you want one or the degree will somehow be sueful in your future endavors...it id great if you're interested in research but not a replacement for UG grades. Any advanced degree looks good so that's always a plus, but it's not hard core science work which is what most adcoms are looking for. G'luck!:luck: