any calls yet for GI for 2010??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
emory invite

Members don't see this ad.

Any rejections from Emory ?

Been an absolutely quiet day.....
Anybody has any thoughts on the NRMP listings....
Hematemesis , how are things looking for you..after JHU and Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else Applied to Emory got any calls or rejections

Emory invite yesterday
Vanderbilt invite today
St. Louis University invite over the holidays

so far:
1. MGH
2. Columbia
3. Mayo Clinic Min
4. Brown Univ
5. Umass

rejections:
1. Georgetown Univ program

Any calls or rejections today ?

Any calls or rejections today ?
Rejection from Vanderbilt :(

Reject from Georgetown, just in time for presidential inauguration!!
3 interviews so for JHU, Yale and IU
2 rejects Mayo & Georgetown.
Have not heard from 25 other programs.
Is it too late to apply to more?

Updated list:

1. Yale
2. MGH
3. BU
4. Columbia
5. Brigham & Women's

No rejections yet

rejections georgetown. No calls yet. first rejection. 45 other programs continue to ignore me. sigh.

Polyp , Did you get Interview or Rejection from Georgetown ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of u heard from any programs besides Columbia from NY

so far:
1. MGH
2. Columbia
3. Mayo Clinic Min
4. Brown Univ
5. Umass
6. Brigham

rejections:
1. Georgetown Univ program

So far rejections from georgetown, Univ Missouri, Oregon, Vanderbilt.

No calls yet. Is it late to apply to few more programs?

Any Calls or Rejections today ?. None here it has been a real slow day

So far the list of rejections: Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Mayo, Univers. of Minnesota, U of Missou, U of Chicago

Iowa invite today yall

Iowa Rejection today :(. Nothing else....

no news today...

so far rejections: mizzou, vanderbilt

interviews: none

programs i have applied to that have given out interviews/rejections that i have heard nothing from: indiana, florida, st louis, emory

dont know what that means

University of Utah Rejection....:(

Guys, I know we are early in the season but wanted to put it out there to see what yall think about this. How many calls does one need to be safe to match realistically there are always exceptions on both sides but what is the number of calls that would make you sleep happy in the night until the Match day. Also how many calls should one have by lets day Jan 17th given most of the top programs have responded to feel that one is on the right track.Finally what is the average number of interviews people attend for a GI spot it is 22 according to FREID and to me that is too many what do you all think.

rejections from vanderbilt,missouri,georgetown
interview from utah

whats up with NY programs??

Hi guys,

Profile: IMG, with green card, 2 year clinical experience after residency, 3 peer reviewed publications, 1 review article, 1 national meeting poster, 5 ddw 2009 abstract submissions for this year as first author (pending decision next month), multiple ongoing research projects, and hepatology fellowship 2009-2010

Do I have a fair chance of getting calls?

So far I have rejections from
Mayo Rochester
Univ. of Texas Health Science Center,San Antonio
Vanderbilt
OSHU Oregon
Georgetown
Univ of Missouri
MGH

No interviews :confused:

Last edited:
Hi :
To you guys who seem to be very aware of what's going on, I applied late, January 10....
So far I have not received any comments no rejections or invites, however they downloaded all my papers....do you think there's a chance for me?
profile: 2 reviews articles, basic science lab projects going, book chapter and doing clinical trials

any suggestions?

also any hepatology programs available to apply w/o prior GI fellowship?

thanks

Does any one have calls or rejections from Cornell?

To all of you out there. GI is very competitive, and asking others if they have a chance is a ridiculous question. It is like when your patients ask you what is their chance of living or dying...do you give them an actual percent or date of death? If you are asking if you have a chance, most likely you are insecure about your application and already know you have a small chance! For some reason you want to make yourself more nervous by asking the forum for replies, but none of us have crystal balls to tell the future.:scared:

Of course all of you have a chance, otherwise, why did you even bother applying? I know some that matched with 1 interview and others that don't match with 7, so doesn't matter what other people have, just matters what the programs you interview at feel if you are a "good fit" for them. Everything matters when applying to GI. If you want honesty, then lets go strictly by statistics: you need board scores >230 on step 1 and 2, AMG, multiple publications and top 25 IM residency program to get many interviews. Most of you don't have this, and especially if you are an IMG or FMG, you are competing with AMG's from better residencies, so you have a smaller chance of receiving interviews. Sorry for being blunt, but many of you are asking what your chances are. But again, there are many exceptions to the rule.;)

Also, nobody on this post are fellowship PD's to know what your chances are, but know 2 things, posting your stats and stressing out about your competition getting interviews/rejections is not going to increase your chace of getting interviews, it will just make you more nervous and not able to sleep at night. Forget about asking people if they heard from X or Y program. All programs send out invites/rejections in batches, so doesn't matter what your competition has received.:cool:

I wish you all luck!! Just relax and cross your fingers, it is a long ride!! Most will not match, so to keep your sanity, don't go by what is on this post and have a backup plan or try the following year!!:D

To all of you out there. GI is very competitive, and asking others if they have a chance is a ridiculous question. It is like when your patients ask you what is their chance of living or dying...do you give them an actual percent or date of death? If you are asking if you have a chance, most likely you are insecure about your application and already know you have a small chance! For some reason you want to make yourself more nervous by asking the forum for replies, but none of us have crystal balls to tell the future.:scared:

Of course all of you have a chance, otherwise, why did you even bother applying? I know some that matched with 1 interview and others that don't match with 7, so doesn't matter what other people have, just matters what the programs you interview at feel if you are a "good fit" for them. Everything matters when applying to GI. If you want honesty, then lets go strictly by statistics: you need board scores >230 on step 1 and 2, AMG, multiple publications and top 25 IM residency program to get many interviews. Most of you don't have this, and especially if you are an IMG or FMG, you are competing with AMG's from better residencies, so you have a smaller chance of receiving interviews. Sorry for being blunt, but many of you are asking what your chances are. But again, there are many exceptions to the rule.;)

Also, nobody on this post are fellowship PD's to know what your chances are, but know 2 things, posting your stats and stressing out about your competition getting interviews/rejections is not going to increase your chace of getting interviews, it will just make you more nervous and not able to sleep at night. Forget about asking people if they heard from X or Y program. All programs send out invites/rejections in batches, so doesn't matter what your competition has received.:cool:

I wish you all luck!! Just relax and cross your fingers, it is a long ride!! Most will not match, so to keep your sanity, don't go by what is on this post and have a backup plan or try the following year!!:D

So where did you match last year GIJoes ???
By the way, I pretty much agree with what you said. Most of us FMGs should really have a back up plan and be mentally prepared to go un-matched. Otherwise there will be a big disappointment waiting.......

You really hit the nail on the head GIJOE. None of us have the ability to predict outcomes of the match. As you said GI is very competitive and in my opinion THE most competitive sub-speciality fellowship much more so than Cardiology simply because of sheer numbers of positions available which I think at last count were approximately about 750 for Cards and 300 +/- 10 for GI - including programs that do not participate in the match which are few and far between. (the actual number of purely clinical positions are far less about 190 or so) It is definitely true that AMGs are preferred over IMGs. Based on my personal experience from last year where I had 5 interviews and still did not match, number of interview does not count nor is it what you know but rather who you know. While some programs may use board scores for cut offs, the key is LETTERS, LETTERS, LETTERS from big name people and high quality research - preferably published in a good journal.It is important for IMGs (myself included) to thoroughly research programs before applying. Take the time to go every program's website and look at the fellows and where they came from. If you are applying to Program X where are the fellows are from Harvard, Yale or Hopkins and no one the past 3 years was an IMG, then you are wasting your time and money, although there may be exceptions to the rule. In addition you are probably wasting your money by applying to programs that have only one or two slots, since these are invariably given away to internal candidates as I realized last year.
A quick note on visas, you most likely will find it extremely difficult to get a spot on a H1 Visa as most places who do take IMGs will consider you only if you have a J1 or Green card or are a US Citizen. I have heard that most places do not even sponsor H1 visas for residency. In addition NIH tracks automatically disqualifies applicants who do not have a Green card or US citizenship.
Unfortunately being out of residency is also a disadvantage. Doing a year of hepatology or nutrition may be an advantage to some but a huge disadvantage to others. There are program out there that will NOT consider applicants with hepatology training as they think that the year was done merely to get into GI. There is a new school of thought among leading hepatologists who totally want to separate the two. I also know of programs that blacklist applicants who have applied more than once some of them will consider you if there are SIGNIFICANT changes to your CV. I am unsure where FREIDA posted number of interview required to match, (22) I don't recall reading such a stat. What is available for public perusal however is data from the past two years match which I must say is not great if one is an AMG (65-70%) but pretty dismal if one is an IMG (15-20%). Bottom line, life is box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get. Keep the faith and hope for the best and stop worrying about what ifs and things beyond your control. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
I see the frustration is getting to all of us who are patiently waiting for our very first call...and yes as GIBlues, Hematemesis pointed out its way too early...as for me I received 4 calls last year, attended my last interview in May. Although I didnt match, I know this is not going to be the last time I will be trying to match into GI... If your competitive enough, its hard to ignore your applications, and yes the truth remains its an uphill battle if your an FMG or IMG...hang in there guys, come Feb, many of us will have a few interviews...and hopefully match ....and till then keep updating your interviews......

GI interview goes on till May??...I didnt know that ,sounds pretty late...do you know around when NY programs starts calling...except cornell or so..
thx

Any Interviews or Rejections today yall...........

Hey guys, I'm new to posting here (even though I've been reading the posts for several years now). I figured I'd might as well add to the list.

Interviews:
Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic

Rejections:
Georgetown.

Good Luck!

Gastrogirl-

Which Cleveland Clinic ?

:) Just got Cleveland Clinic interview today......and thats my first...

I too got Cleveland Clinic invite thats 4 so far 2 rejects.

Congrats on your Mayo call guys. Any other calls or rejections today ?

Any Calls Today or Rejections ?

henry ford rejection. hmm that is 2 nays and no yeahs.If Barack Obama can be president then I can get an interview lol. I have a dream.

Henry Ford Rejection here aswell :(

email from aurora saying they are still reviewing the applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.