Any non-traditional majors (non-natural sciences) here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mykani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was just curious how many non-traditional (not biology/chemistry/etc.) pre-dents are on this forum. :D What sort of classes/course load do you guys have? Any upper bios/ interesting courses you would recommend ?

Members don't see this ad.

Me: Psychology.

Take Biochem, Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology.

Philosophy and History of Math and Science for me. I am only taking Biochem myself, it is all I have time for (hopefully).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fine arts major with emphasis on graffiti. 4 interviews so far. But honestly being unique and non traditional didn't help me at all I think. If anything impretty sure it affected me negatively. I woud recommend taking sculpture. Because dentistry is sculpture art. You can have all the dental knowledge but if you lack manual dex you can't be a good dentist sry I talk alot

I'm a Finance major.

I'm taking A&P courses, along with Genetics, Biochem, Microbio, etc. Just take as many as you can and I think you will be OK.

Anthropology major; in my final year I just tried to knock out all the pre-requisites. I had a late application and I'm still getting interviews.

Bachelor of Music in percussion performance.
Associates in dental hygiene.
I just took the required prereqs (which included biochem and micro).
I'm hoping my 4 years experience in restorative hygiene makes up for the lack of upper level sciences.

Cool! Oh I've heard about biochemistry and microbiology as super useful.

In my school there's actually a lot of restrictions on taking upper bio courses.. basically I have to go through two semesters of molecular cell biology to get to microbiology, genetics, etc...

Do you think taking a nursing class's microbiology will suffice? I know it won't count onto my science gpa but it's still some supplementary knowledge for dental school right? (And hopefully can satisfy requirements? I'm in a process of emailing schools my syllabus actually)

Cool! Oh I've heard about biochemistry and microbiology as super useful.

In my school there's actually a lot of restrictions on taking upper bio courses.. basically I have to go through two semesters of molecular cell biology to get to microbiology, genetics, etc...

Do you think taking a nursing class's microbiology will suffice? I know it won't count onto my science gpa but it's still some supplementary knowledge for dental school right? (And hopefully can satisfy requirements? I'm in a process of emailing schools my syllabus actually)

there's a reason you have to take lots of pre-req science before taking microbio and some of the other upper-divs..

they assume you know a lot and dont tend to go slow

How is it take a History major? Is it difficult adding in the pre-reqs and upper level? Also what concentration are you? World, American, European? Sorry for so many questions

fyi chemistry majors have hardly any time to take upper level bios except for biochem so i can add sum info..

Im trying to squeeze in microbiology, physiology, anatomy, and an immunology/virology/or histology class.. these are basically after I graduate tho lol.. i know at my school they make sure u stay busy with chemistry so i dont know about other schools, but i wish i had more chances to take bio classes..

History major over here. I didn't take any other upper level science courses, but I did take a lot of health policy/stats/epidemiology courses. I thought that if you have a good DAT science score you didn't need to prove anything else by taking more science classes.