Any of you prescribing ivermectin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, Bird....skydiving parachuteless???????

If you're serious, how do they not die????
Well, with a combination of Vitamin C, acai berry, and pit-viper testicle extract taken in the week before to strengthen the bones you'd be amazed at what you can do. Haha, just kidding.

None of that works, but it's been done, twice. One guy landed on a massive pile of cardboard boxes [VIDEO] and another guy landed on a gigantic net [VIDEO]. Kinda cool, but I wouldn't call it exactly "smart."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, with a combination of Vitamin C, acai berry, and pit-viper testicle extract taken in the week before to strengthen the bones you'd be amazed at what you can do. Haha, just kidding.

None of that works, but it's been done, twice. One guy landed on a massive pile of cardboard boxes [VIDEO] and another guy landed on a gigantic net [VIDEO]. Kinda cool, but I wouldn't call it exactly "smart."
Those guys were doing it as stunts, not because they don’t believe in parachutes lol. The boxes guy actually had a parachute on him just in case he couldn’t make the boxes.

• Haha
Let me get this straight. Most will agree that BiG I has very little affect on a Virus. If you prescribe it you will be mocked, possibly lose your license, and removed from a medical staff realizing that is has very little side affects.

Yet,
1. We can call everyone with a fever, tachycardia septic thus pumping them with broad spectrum abx before being seen by an MD OK?
2. We can ask pts their pain scale which is always 10, thus prompting Dilaudid that is much more dangerous
3. We can call someone falling 10 feet onto grass walking with a limp a trauma activation and a 10K charge
4. We can prescribe decadron for Covid pts which also has not shown improved outcome but has more adverse effects
5. We prescribe zpaks for URIs b/c pts demands it.

Alot of hypocrisy in medicine.

Disclaimer - I do not prescribe Imvermectine, HCQ

All the things you point out are actively mocked and ridiculed by the majority of physicians and pointed to as current failures of the healthcare system. I would add a majority of helicopter transports to your list. The problem with ivermectin is not the risk/benefit analysis which it doesn't fail much worse than many of the "just in case" things we do in medicine. The problem with ivermectin is it is being pushed by conspiracy theorist *****s outside of medicine in a way that leads individuals and politicians to promote it over actual public health measures and the vaccine and leading people to desperately self-dose from veterinary sources. It would have more in common with a large portion of the country deciding to stay home and treat their sepsis with zinc and fish antibiotics than it does with the surviving sepsis campaign. If everyone was getting vaccinated and making at least some effort at following public health guidelines, I doubt anyone would care about people prescribing ivermectin.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3) I think overly aggressive trauma activation criteria are isolated to a few for profit entities. There is a fairly high threshold for our activation criteria. I'm not heavily involved with our trauma committee, but believe there is a decent amount of regulation. I don't think compensation for activation plays a huge role, but I do always say follow the money so I could be proven wrong.

4) I thought the RECOVERY trial showed benefit. Is there better, or newer, data out there showing differently?
It sure does....for the hospital. It's at least another 10K added to the bill. I don't think ER doctors benefit all that much, but overzealous ones might charge critical care for every limited or full trauma activation.

It sure does....for the hospital. It's at least another 10K added to the bill. I don't think ER doctors benefit all that much, but overzealous ones might charge critical care for every limited or full trauma activation.
Additionally, my understanding is that trauma centers need so many activations to remain a center and have to follow their own activation criteria because they get dinged if they either over or under activate on audit. So they make loose enough criteria to make sure they hit the annual numbers needed and then we're stuck activating for every 10 ft fall or high speed toe stubbing.

I wouldn’t mind seeing an Ivermectin overdose over another trauma. So many traumas over the last few days. Such time sucks between all the lacs and broken bones often without major injuries going emergently to the OR languishing in the ED prior to admit. I don’t think I can justify critical care billing on all of them and feel they take up way more time than they’re worth compared to seeing a couple level 5 chest painers or something ridiculous like an Ivermectin OD. That’s probably how hospitals feel too that they take up a chunk of resources and often don’t pay all that well.

I wouldn’t mind seeing an Ivermectin overdose over another trauma. So many traumas over the last few days. Such time sucks between all the lacs and broken bones often without major injuries going emergently to the OR languishing in the ED prior to admit. I don’t think I can justify critical care billing on all of them and feel they take up way more time than they’re worth compared to seeing a couple level 5 chest painers or something ridiculous like an Ivermectin OD. That’s probably how hospitals feel too that they take up a chunk of resources and often don’t pay all that well.

So glad I don't work in a Trauma Center these days. I don't mind the seriously ill trauma patients who get scooped up by the trauma service, but the barely injured "trauma activations" are irritating because it takes so much of our time dealing with X-raying the entire body for every ache and pain, suturing all the minor lacs and dealing with ortho issues.

This is why discharged patients charged critical care should be scrutinized. Not saying that there is never a reason to bill critical care on a discharged patient (anaphylaxis, AF/RVR you cardiovert and DC home, etc.), but it's not that common.

Yeah this is fake news though.

"Over the last week, a collective meltdown involving the drug ivermectin has taken place. Because some doctors have prescribed it off-label to treat COVID, the media have taken to calling it “horse dewormer,” ignoring that the discoverer of its human form won a Nobel Prize and that it’s FDA approved for use in humans.

But it was when mega-podcast host Joe Rogan announced he had taken ivermectin as part of a cocktail to treat his COVID infection that things really went insane. Media outlets ran headlines claiming he had taken a drug meant for animals and called him anti-vaccine for doing so.
That’s when a story about a rural Oklahoma hospital went viral. According to claims by a doctor who supposedly worked there, the hospital in question was so overwhelmed with people overdosing on ivermectin that it couldn’t treat gun-shot victims.

But within 24-hours the story had started to fall apart, beginning with the revelation that the doctor who was interviewed by Rolling Stone hadn’t worked at the hospital in months.

After that, a full implosion took place. The hospital in question not only released a full statement, but they changed their internet homepage to reflect the correction of the false report.

I just want to note how similar this is to the freak-out of false claims made about hydroxychloroquine. The script we’ve seen play out recently is almost exactly the same. Begin by claiming the drug is meant for animals when it’s not. Then claim masses of rubes are overdosing on it when they aren’t. Finally, never admit fault and move on to the next hysteria.

In the end, hydroxychloroquine turned out to actually have some efficacy against COVID, specifically when taken in the early stages. Studies have now shown that to be true. Yet, for almost a year, the media took a dump on the drug, possibly costing tens of thousands of lives in the process.

But because the media are biased and so obsessed with politics over health, they are running the same playbook again. Now, to be clear, I don’t know if ivermectin has any benefit against COVID. There’s anecdotal evidence to that effect, but we’ll need to wait for actual studies on the matter. Regardless, the media’s behavior has once again been absolute garbage. The news industry and its army of re-tweeting, clapping seals should never be trusted. That goes double for health issues.
" -Red State

Last edited:
Generally, I'm in your boat - but the concept has been applied elsewhere with some success. Metformin for PCOS, NASH, some carcinomas.
I think they pick these types of meds because that's all that's available in some areas of the world. Then case report success stories make their way back to contrarians here in the US looking for their own cure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me get this straight. Most will agree that BiG I has very little affect on a Virus. If you prescribe it you will be mocked, possibly lose your license, and removed from a medical staff realizing that is has very little side affects.

Yet,
1. We can call everyone with a fever, tachycardia septic thus pumping them with broad spectrum abx before being seen by an MD OK?
2. We can ask pts their pain scale which is always 10, thus prompting Dilaudid that is much more dangerous
3. We can call someone falling 10 feet onto grass walking with a limp a trauma activation and a 10K charge
4. We can prescribe decadron for Covid pts which also has not shown improved outcome but has more adverse effects

the only thing i do on that list is decadron for hypoxic COVID patients.

I have been out of the pits for 3 yrs before Covid hit. The dumpster fire that paid me $500/hr would have a PA/NP in triage. So many healthy patients with seasonal URIs with fever 101 and HR in the low 100's were getting Lined/Labs/IV abx/IV fluids. By the time it came to me, they were all loaded up. APCs were so scared of falling out, waits to go back were 2+ hrs, they just rammed the protocol through otherwise get spanked for a missed sepsis pts.

The actual decent hospital I worked at got into the Trauma activation game. Slapped laminated sheets near our desk with nurses bugging me to trauma activate an MVC at some pre defined speed. No way were I going to activate when the pt is walking past me talking on their phone with a coke in one hand. When we were not following protocol, we were told activation would get imaging faster. What crap. They just wanted to slap a 10K charge.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they pick these types of meds because that's all that's available in some areas of the world. Then case report success stories make their way back to contrarians here in the US looking for their own cure.

I'm sure 3 out of every 100 people with COVID, who take ivermectin, get better. Dumb people, and to a lesser extent even smart people, don't understand random chance vs treatment effect.

I'm sure 3 out of every 100 people with COVID, who stick a banana up their arse, will get better. Maybe Joe Rogan and his ilk will be walking around with bananas in their nether regions.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'm sure 3 out of every 100 people with COVID, who take ivermectin, get better. Dumb people, and to a lesser extent even smart people, don't understand random chance vs treatment effect.

I'm sure 3 out of every 100 people with COVID, who stick a banana up their arse, will get better. Maybe Joe Rogan and his ilk will be walking around with bananas in their nether regions.
This is exactly the problem. People don’t understand this and think that if anyone who takes ivermectin gets better, then it must work at least a little.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
This is exactly the problem. People don’t understand this and think that if anyone who takes ivermectin gets better, then it must work at least a little.
"99% of people given banana enemas survive COVID, therefore banana enemas cure COVID 99% of the time."

It's an absurd statement, but I know a lot of people that could be fooled into believing it.

• Haha
Well 99.8% of people will get better after taki
"99% of people given banana enemas survive COVID, therefore banana enemas cure COVID 99% of the time."

It's an absurd statement, but I know a lot of people that could be fooled into believing it.
It's true, just like Ivermectin or Regeneron infusions. For Regeneron, we were only giving it to high-risk people who weren't sick enough for hospitalization. Even in the oldest chort of 90+, they have a greater than 94% survival rate.

Anything will "cure" a virus with a very low fatality rate.

IV Regeneron is the only game changer that I see. We probably infuse 10 a day in one of our ERs. We have not seen one pt get it early on and progress to Covid Pneumonia. We have had atleast 5 pts refuse IV regen then come back with covid pneumonia and some staying in our ER for days.

With all the ICUs full, survival is not the only thing that is important but avoiding admissions. Plus looking at the Xrays, their lungs may not ever be the same.

Last edited:
IV Regeneron is the only game changer that I see. We probably infuse 10 a day in one of our ERs. We have not seen one pt get it early on and progress to Covid Pneumonia. We have had atleast 5 pts refuse IV regen then come back with covid pneumonia and some staying in our ER for days.

With all the ICUs full, survival is not the only thing that is important but avoiding admissions. Plus looking at the Xrays, their lungs may not ever be the same.
While your anecdote is nice, there is no actual data to support REGN-COV2 being a "game changer." The totality of evidence appears to be a sub-group analysis in a single trial. Is it effective for a carefully selected group of patients? Maybe. How much is your group getting paid for this treatment?

No, immunization is a game changer. I find it concerning you don't recognize that.

Regeneron MIGHT be, its a bit early to say.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Have you guys seen this?

This bit is just priceless:

"Julie Smith testified that neither she nor her husband were vaccinated against COVID-19. She said it was “experimental,” so she didn’t trust it.

“We didn’t feel confident it had been out long enough,” she said during a hearing Thursday.

She later connected with Dr. Fred Wagshul, a founding physician of the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance, a nonprofit that touts ivermectin as a wonder drug. Wagshul is a licensed physician but is not board certified within any specialty and hasn’t worked in a hospital for 10 years, according to his testimony.

He prescribed Jeffrey Smith 21 days’ worth of ivermectin without reviewing Jeffrey Smith’s clinical information or talking to any of his treating physicians. He said the pharmaceutical industry and U.S. government have smeared ivermectin and “censored” its allegedly undeniable beneficial value.

However, when asked if it had benefitted Smith, he hedged."

Have you guys seen this?

This bit is just priceless:

"Julie Smith testified that neither she nor her husband were vaccinated against COVID-19. She said it was “experimental,” so she didn’t trust it.

“We didn’t feel confident it had been out long enough,” she said during a hearing Thursday.

She later connected with Dr. Fred Wagshul, a founding physician of the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance, a nonprofit that touts ivermectin as a wonder drug. Wagshul is a licensed physician but is not board certified within any specialty and hasn’t worked in a hospital for 10 years, according to his testimony.

He prescribed Jeffrey Smith 21 days’ worth of ivermectin without reviewing Jeffrey Smith’s clinical information or talking to any of his treating physicians. He said the pharmaceutical industry and U.S. government have smeared ivermectin and “censored” its allegedly undeniable beneficial value.

In other words, it's far too painful to take responsibility for their own actions in refusing the vaccine and much easier to blame someone else, who really isn't at fault.

So he prescribed it without examining the patient? Sounds like the medical board has reason to sanction this individual. Even a telemedicine consult may prevent this, but you can't just prescribe it to people you've never met.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
While your anecdote is nice, there is no actual data to support REGN-COV2 being a "game changer." The totality of evidence appears to be a sub-group analysis in a single trial. Is it effective for a carefully selected group of patients? Maybe. How much is your group getting paid for this treatment?
Data shows clear improvement and the FDA has given the go ahead even for exposure. Game changer may be an over exaggeration for the whole populace but definitely for pts that refuse vaccination. I would say our groups have infused a large amount of patients and I have not heard of one pt who was treated before getting Covid pneumonia end up with it. We have many healthy low risk pts return a wk later with covid pneumonia that was never offered Regen.

We do 24-48 hr call backs and the vast majority feels close to baseline.

I am not sure what getting paid have anything to do with treatment where we follow the guidelines.

No, immunization is a game changer. I find it concerning you don't recognize that.

Regeneron MIGHT be, its a bit early to say.
Vaccines is obviously a game changer but when a large group refuses vaccination, this is the only treatment to show improved outcome early in the course.

Vaccines is obviously a game changer but when a large group refuses vaccination, this is the only treatment to show improved outcome early in the course.
besides, it kept Trump alive. That must count for something.

Data shows clear improvement and the FDA has given the go ahead even for exposure. Game changer may be an over exaggeration for the whole populace but definitely for pts that refuse vaccination. I would say our groups have infused a large amount of patients and I have not heard of one pt who was treated before getting Covid pneumonia end up with it. We have many healthy low risk pts return a wk later with covid pneumonia that was never offered Regen.

I am not sure what getting paid have anything to do with treatment where we follow the guidelines.
Have you looked at the data?

Literally only showed benefit in seronegative patients. And of all subgroup benefits ever studied individually there have been none that have been validated. I’m certainly unconvinced. Would be nice if it worked though.

Last edited:
Yes the Vaccine is a game changer,

Troll I presume? No posts in over 10 years and now a ridiculous post referencing the same (VAERS) database which has reports of people turning into giant green monsters with increased muscle mass secondary the vaccine use

Reactions: 6 users
Troll I presume? No posts in over 10 years and now a ridiculous post referencing the same (VAERS) database which has reports of people turning into giant green monsters with increased muscle mass secondary the vaccine use

Very first AE report from troll's first link:

"Loud intense cry with screaming for 1 1/2 hrs. Seen next day, child normal."

Why vaccine, why 😢 ?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
When someone presents raw VAERS data as causal, it's the first clue they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

No, there is no good data that I am aware of showing clear improvement. And the little data that is available is not consistent with your anecdote. If you have such data, please share.

There are no guidelines that I am aware of recommending treatment with REGN-COV2. Which guidelines are you referring to that you are following?

Getting paid has everything to do with the incentive to provide an expensive, unproven treatment in your environment.

I'm really struggling to understand how this treatment has gotten such widespread traction despite the paucity of evidence.

plot twist - said MD now has covid

• Haha
No, there is no good data that I am aware of showing clear improvement. And the little data that is available is not consistent with your anecdote. If you have such data, please share.

There are no guidelines that I am aware of recommending treatment with REGN-COV2. Which guidelines are you referring to that you are following?

Getting paid has everything to do with the incentive to provide an expensive, unproven treatment in your environment.

I'm really struggling to understand how this treatment has gotten such widespread traction despite the paucity of evidence.
tPa anyone? Also, see the second to last paragraph in your post and you have your answer.

$$$$$$

Should probably also do HAART

be invincible

I mean, at least HAART is for a virus

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
no the doc that was prescribing ivermectin - don't know vaccination status
The Ohio ivermectin court-case doc, Fred Wagshul?

I googled "Dr. Fred Wagshul has covid" and nothing came up.

The docs/midlevels here will automatically get written up to intake registry if they prescribe ivermectin to COVID pts.

It's cool though he has access to ivermectin
A judge reversed the court order once they found out he wasn’t affiliated with the hospital and didn’t even really know the patient, and he was unable to provide “convincing evidence” that it would help.

A judge reversed the court order once they found out he wasn’t affiliated with the hospital and didn’t even really know the patient, and he was unable to provide “convincing evidence” that it would help.
Seems like that's the kind of thing that should've come up at the very first hearing...

Reactions: 3 users

Yet,

This is a lot of hypocrisy in medicine but your list is suspect.

Sepsis is bad. And when you know it’s for sure sepsis it might be too late. Admin nurses going to far is a seperate issue. Dexamethasone DOES work. No prescribes azithro and calls themself a good doctor. A lot of hospitals don’t even used dilaudid.

Your point is reasonable just don’t get the list….

Curious as to if any of you are/have prescribed ivermectin for covid? We have one doc in our shop that is and he gets made fun of by others. He even tried to push our pharmacy into allowing him to use it in house - but obviously got push back. I have seen the other docs mocking it while sitting 5 feet from him, then him trying to justifyn its use. it is comical and a little sad all at once.

When I came down with Covid, I took Hydroxychloroquine, Azithromycin, Zinc, and Asprin. I began treatment 24 hours after I began to have a fever+rigors and I noticed a 2% drop in my SpO2. This was at a time when Regenron was not available and PCR test results were taking a week or more to come back and so I started my treatment based on symptoms alone without a positive test result. Did the same thing for my wife after she had a rapid antigen test.

In both cases I waited to see if we spiked fevers as a proxy for significant systemic inflammatory response, Her course paralleled mine.

In my opinion, that combination worked quite well, pretty much stopping the progression of clinical symptoms within 12 hours after initiation of treatment and putting me on a path to recovery. I was fine 2 days after stopping treatment. One could say that this was simple coincidence, and that the medications did not modify the disease course. To that I would say, first take a look at results from the study from Henry Ford. Second, in this situation, the drop in SpO2 would be indicative of lung involvement, and obviously going down the hypoxia, respiratory failure, ARDS, intubation road is something no one wants to do. Would that 2% drop have just stopped without treatment? Would it have dropped a couple of more points and recovered? Since we couldn't clone ourselves and use that as a control, we will never objectively know...but SOMETHING certainly changed the clinical course. With it's chronological proximity to starting treatment, I would say the answer would not be "a tincture of time".

In my opinion the concept for early oral outpatient treatment combines medicines that work as cytokine inhibitors, inhibitors of viral replication, tylenol to address fever, and something to try and reduce the risk of clotting either by disrupting platelet activity or the coagulation cascade (an Argentine study tried using Aspirin and Lovenox for this).

I would have prescribed the Henry Ford cocktail + Aspirin for some at risk patients early in their disease course had politicians in the state I practiced ordered pharmacies not to fill prescriptions for it.

The those who support Ivermectin use observational data (which unfortunately does not differentiate between correlation and causation and thus may not be reliable) and the fact that in-vitro, ivermectin has some activity in the first two categories. Does it have a clinical effect? Who knows. Does it cause harm when taken in the right formulation and at the right dose? Not according to what I've seen so far. Is it some sort of witch-doctor's brew that's absurd at first look? Hardly.

It still surprises me that some are taking a diagnostic and treatment approach that says "You have Covid, go home and come back if you need Oxygen."

Last edited:
...Ivermectin ...Is it some sort of witch-doctor's brew? Hardly.
I don't support Ivermectin for treating COVID. But you're right, in that there's almost a histrionic, overwrought backlash against it as a medication. Imagine this scenario:

A guy gets diagnoses with Onchocerciasis, otherwise known as River Blindness. He's told, "You have a parasite. If untreated, you'll go blind. The cure is Ivermectin."

"F- that!," the guy says. "I'd rather go blind than take that horse poison!" He refuses Ivermectin. He goes blind.

"F- that!," the guy says. "I'd rather go blind than take that horse poison!" He refuses Ivermectin. He goes blind.
Incidentally, that’s how a lot more people are acting towards the COVID vaccine…

Also,RCTs of Boracitinib are showing a lot more promise than anything else. Lancet study showed NNT of 5, and is effective at reducing mortality from covid, although some people still progressed in their disease course

Status
Not open for further replies.