Any other highschool dropouts..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SymphonyNo4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious - are there any other highschool drop outs on this forum?

Maybe with Aspergers as well..?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How boring.

Thanks.
Maybe. But seriously, not that many hs dropouts go on to get admitted to college then medical school. Hey, I could be wrong but with the competition being rough and getting even more competitive....I don't see it happening.

Maybe. But seriously, not that many hs dropouts go on to get admitted to college then medical school. Hey, I could be wrong but with the competition being rough and getting even more competitive....I don't see it happening.

You're right.

I was three years into a Bio with a chem minor directly after dropping out - completely a waste of time. Under 3.0 GPA. I did severely stupid stuff, such as skipping a group activity worth 20% of course work - and ending with a C. I honestly never knew people studied regularly, and would take tests completely unprepared, and going off memory of the lecture only.

Luckily I didn't graduate and qualify for the "Fresh Start" program (soon, anyway). I became a nurse and have been bidding my time ever since.

I want to enter with a Biology/Chem degree, not nursing.

I technically dropped out of high school, due to a combination of factors (intense boredom, family conflict/dysfunction, extremely poor grades, having to take care of family, etc); however, I began an early college program shortly thereafter, so it ended well for me [at the time, anyways, a lot of things have happened since]. And, while I don't have Aspergers, I do have Complex-PTSD and recurring episodes of well managed depression.

I technically dropped out of high school, due to a combination of factors (intense boredom, family conflict/dysfunction, extremely poor grades, having to take care of family, etc); however, I began an early college program shortly thereafter, so it ended well for me [at the time, anyways, a lot of things have happened since]. And, while I don't have Aspergers, I do have Complex-PTSD and recurring episodes of well managed depression.

you're like 19 right? Interesting, I thought PTSD was diagnosed only in older people

I dropped out of high school, your not alone. :) I just graduated from community college with a 3.75 GPA, (my final GPA before I dropped out of high school was .14) and going on to University in the Fall. I'm not entirely sure if medical school looks at your high school transcripts though.

you're like 19 right? Interesting, I thought PTSD was diagnosed only in older people

A good friend of mine just got back from deployment overseas in Iraq, he's only a few years out of high school. I think it's the experiences, instead of age, which matter primarily in PTSD, but I could be wrong.

Edit: he has PTSD

I am technically a high school dropout. But if you have a GED, no one cares.

16 years of age, actually. As I said, I started college a bit early.

PTSD can be diagnosed at essentially any age, as trauma can occur at any age.

You're right.

I was three years into a Bio with a chem minor directly after dropping out - completely a waste of time. Under 3.0 GPA. I did severely stupid stuff, such as skipping a group activity worth 20% of course work - and ending with a C. I honestly never knew people studied regularly, and would take tests completely unprepared, and going off memory of the lecture only.

Luckily I didn't graduate and qualify for the "Fresh Start" program (soon, anyway). I became a nurse and have been bidding my time ever since.

I want to enter with a Biology/Chem degree, not nursing.

Freshman forgiveness, or "fresh start" doesn't count for medical school admissions. You have to report ALL grades.

And seriously? Your excuse is you didn't know people studied? Might want to revise that before you tell any Adcom that as an excuse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freshman forgiveness, or "fresh start" doesn't count for medical school admissions. You have to report ALL grades.

And seriously? Your excuse is you didn't know people studied? Might want to revise that before you tell any Adcom that as an excuse.

If they are a resident of Texas, they are likely talking about Texas's Academic Fresh Start Program, which does count for admissions to TMDSAS-participating (aka, Texas state) medical schools. In fact, the program was created and intended for non-traditional students seeking admission to professional school programs.

If, however, they are not a Texas resident, then, yes, you would be correct, that type of fresh start program will not count. All transcripts from any college or university must be submitted and all will be taken into account for admissions purposes.

Lol.

I went to a terrible school in Coney Island, and dropped out. I made a few universities (half of my grades were 100's, the other were failures - literally) so I decided rather than wasting time and staying in that hell hole for another year, I can actually just get a GED and go to college. The result? I proved to my friends and family that I was never the problem, and that it was that god-forsaken school. I have a 3.9, and damn happy about it.

In school I stopped attending classes, and instead got tutoring from an ex-foreign doctor about medical topics. So I was learning that for almost two years. I also started to do research. So I had the luxury of not writing some pointless hw assignments and essays, and instead, focused on learning pure science/medicine for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. It was a gamble, but the risk was worth it. Turns out I am not a failure after all.

Excuse?

No - just part of the reason.

I am technically a high school dropout. But if you have a GED, no one cares.

Just took a look at your mdapps after the he mentioned above me-wondering-Did you decide on Emory?

Not me and not med school related, but I thought I'd share.

A close family member was a high school dropout; graduated college Phi Beta Kappa and is working on a masters in Econ. Wants to get a PhD and work for the fed.

Everyone figures themselves out at a different age.

What year are you? I would expect anyone going into the Medical field to know that PTSD has nothing to do with age and everything to do with each individual's experience. It's called Post-Traumatic-Stress Disorder as in you get it after a trauma... Pretty sure you can go trough trauma at all ages. Although maybe that just comes with experience. :rolleyes:

What year are you? I would expect anyone going into the Medical field to know that PTSD has nothing to do with age and everything to do with each individual's experience. It's called Post-Traumatic-Stress Disorder as in you get it after a trauma... Pretty sure you can go trough trauma at all ages. Although maybe that just comes with experience. :rolleyes:

They are a pre-medical student. I would not expect anyone at that level to know the details of specific health conditions, unless a) it was mentioned in an undergraduate course they took; b) they have an interest in it, academically; or c) it impacted them personally.

i skipped my HS graduation ceremony because i was a rebel. :cool:

This one time in high school, I tested out of a class... does that count?

GED right here. Finished my freshman year, got my certificate and then start CC for nursing prereqs when I was 15 years old. Not to say I wouldn't go back if I could, but I'm here. I got into a Uni just fine, as a transfer student. Work my behind off and get great grades. There are always underdog stories. Some people don't get the luxury of finishing high school for personal reasons. Don't let anyone tell you, you can't succeed at something that you want.

I'm actually an attending (orthopedic surgery). Don't look at that silly little pre-medical status by my name.

Oops guess I forgot to go to all my psyc classes back in medical school

Hello,

I do not have aspergers, but I did drop out of highschool.

I am pleased to report that I am in my senior year of undergrad now, graduating soon with a BS in biochem, summa cum laude (with highest honors).

Before college I had an eighth grade education, came from an underprivileged area, and was one of many from my neighborhood to be in constant trouble.

From my experiences, I can safely say that drop outs have to work twice as hard, and that everyone saying "you can't" or "you shouldn't" has never faced that type of battle. It is more than do-able, and I hope you find success.

If I could have done this, anybody can.

One of my attendings dropped out of high school. The guy is crazy smart - I'm pretty sure I remember an AOA plaque in his office and he went to a top residency. Seriously, he's crazy smart and has a wild story.

PTSD in adolescents too. In fact, not that uncommon in adolescents.

Hey guys, just ran across this post. I am a high school dropout with a GED. I took 4 years off before deciding that medicine was worth the sacrifice. I am going into my third year of undergrad (3 year graduate) and applying to medical school this year. (4.0c 4.0s 30MCAT). It is certainly possible to refocus your efforts as long as you are 100% committed. Good luck to any dropouts that run across this thread. The road is not easy, but it isn't impossible!

I am a High School drop out! I have a GED, and I am a currently a 4th year medical student. Just applied to Medical Residency last week. Hang in there. One good thing about SDN is a lot of good info. However the sucky thing about SND is that there are a lot of people on here with tons of opinions and very little real life experience to back up their opinion. If you leave it up to the "gunner" types who do nothing but post on SDN all day, you will believe that you have no chance to accomplish anything with your life unless you have A. 4.0 + GPA your entire academic career, 39 + MCAT scores, Both of your parents are physicians, You've done tons of research as a freshman in college, you come from the upper tiers of society, you know someone at every med school, residency you apply to! I think you get the point. Believe in yourself, you'd be surprised how much people like to hear stories about individuals who overcome obstacles to achieve their goals.

The journey will be hard, but that will set you FARRR apart from your run of the mill average overachieving med-school applicant. Every medical school interview I went to, the first thing that was told to me was how impressive it was that I am a high school drop out. I was also a single parent, who worked 40+ hours a week during college. I got into every school I interviewed with, and I applied VERY VERY late in the season. Had good MCAT scores, and decided to take a late gamble. Ended up with 7 interviews. Hopefully the good luck will continue with my residency interviews. You better believe, my residency personal statement contains info about being a high school drop out. Every one walks their own path. I am happy for the path that I have chosen. In the long run, it will make me a better physician. Stay encouraged, and don't listen to the nay-sayers. They don't want you to be successful, because they know that someone with an interesting story of success is far more impressive than someone who has experienced privilege and nepotism their entire life! :):luck:

Dropped out at 16 (failed general bio) and finished GED. Went straight into community college (no major GPA 2.7), then regular undergrad (BS Biology and BS Chem - 3.4), then grad school (PhD in bacteriology- 3.72).

I'm applying this cycle. It's really doable. Good luck

I am a High School drop out! I have a GED, and I am a currently a 4th year medical student. Just applied to Medical Residency last week. Hang in there. One good thing about SDN is a lot of good info. However the sucky thing about SND is that there are a lot of people on here with tons of opinions and very little real life experience to back up their opinion. If you leave it up to the "gunner" types who do nothing but post on SDN all day, you will believe that you have no chance to accomplish anything with your life unless you have A. 4.0 + GPA your entire academic career, 39 + MCAT scores, Both of your parents are physicians, You've done tons of research as a freshman in college, you come from the upper tiers of society, you know someone at every med school, residency you apply to! I think you get the point. Believe in yourself, you'd be surprised how much people like to hear stories about individuals who overcome obstacles to achieve their goals.

The journey will be hard, but that will set you FARRR apart from your run of the mill average overachieving med-school applicant. Every medical school interview I went to, the first thing that was told to me was how impressive it was that I am a high school drop out. I was also a single parent, who worked 40+ hours a week during college. I got into every school I interviewed with, and I applied VERY VERY late in the season. Had good MCAT scores, and decided to take a late gamble. Ended up with 7 interviews. Hopefully the good luck will continue with my residency interviews. You better believe, my residency personal statement contains info about being a high school drop out. Every one walks their own path. I am happy for the path that I have chosen. In the long run, it will make me a better physician. Stay encouraged, and don't listen to the nay-sayers. They don't want you to be successful, because they know that someone with an interesting story of success is far more impressive than someone who has experienced privilege and nepotism their entire life! :):luck:

:thumbup:

High School dropout here too. Got my GED afterwards. Most people that the topic comes up with could never see me as a "drop out". Never really dwelled on it. Picked myself up and used it as a learning experience.

Doing well enough to apply to medical schools at least :D

Last edited:
I am a high-school dropout, Got my GED. I was sick of the bullying and was board in class as I already knew the material. Finished my Associates (Liberal Arts), then Bachelors (Law & Government Minor Business Management), Then Masters (Integrated Marketing & Communication), now Doctorate in science (Information Systems & Communication). I also attended classes at Oxford as well and finished with a 3.98 GPA. :)

Last edited: