any peds interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah they listed a bunch of interview dates, looks like lots of tuesdays/thursday/saturday with a random wed thrown in there, starting mid nov and ending late jan.

Z

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford just now! (11/3)

:D I just got Stanford too!!! And for all of you human folk out there, I'm not even a super smarty pants (i.e. haven't heard yet from CHOP, Hopkins, UW-Seattle, or Colorado)! It must be b/c they're my alma mater... but I don't care! I'm so excited!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
DC children's today (11/3)

z

Cinci :D
Stanford :)
CHOP :D
Colorado :)
Yale :)
Children's National DC
Lutheran General
Northwestern :)
U. Chicago
Christ/UIC
Hopkins :)
U. Michigan
Wash U/St Louis :)
Einstein/Montefiore
NY Columbia :)
LIJ
Rainbow Babies/Cleveland :)
Pitt
Brown
Baylor

Now I just have to figure out how much energy I can muster and which ones to keep...yikes!

medulla,

christ and UIC are different programs. UIC is friendly but super small and not popular . . . the peds floor is literally half a floor of the University of IL hospital. no Peds GI service, very few patients period. Christ is not university affiliated, located South of the city in Oak Lawn, a stand-alone Children's Hospital (though attached to Christ Hospital), with a much broader exposure. I'm sure there's plenty of info on both of these programs covered earlier somewhere, but just wanted to make sure you know they're different in case you wanted to apply to both.

Thanks for the info, Collinator--I have actually done two rotations at Christ and they are affiliated with UIC as well as Chicago Med and CCOM.
However, your point is well taken because the program is officially listed on ERAS as "University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago/Christ Hospital Program, Oak Lawn, IL" and some of the faculty are affiliated with UIC. That is the only reason I listed it that way, but your point is important for those who may not be familiar with the difference. Thanks and good luck to everyone in finding the peds program that fits them best!

P.S.--Christ has an AWESOME peds program, especially if you are looking for a small-mid-sized program with a close group of residents and faculty and a superb program director--I couldn't fit anymore smilies on but I meant to for Christ! If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to PM me.

congrats! You all sound like you got awesome places. when did you submit your ERAS? I was so busy and didn't submit mine until middle oct. too late? guess there's not much i can do about it now.

what kinds of questions have you been getting?

THANKS!!!

Hi - for mis senioritis -

COMPLETELY understand. Applied to a bunch of programs, but only invested time in one. Pretty nervous, because if I don't get that one, might have to scramble. Hoping for the best though. I've heard from my program that they like to hear your 'personal' story and significant others acutally can factor into the picture. Keeping my fingers crossed becuase I haven't heard from many places...

Hope that helps.

honu-

thanks for calming my nerves a little. i'm rotating at my program of choice this month and they seem to be used to people wanting to be there because of a spouse/family situation. they seem to be the kind of place that wants their residents to be happy... so that makes me happy :) my only issue is, in my interview if they ask me if i have a back-up plan... i don't have one, other than to scramble and be away from my spouse for the year (which doesn't sound fun).

glad to hear i'm not alone! good luck to you :)

children's memorial, hopkins, umass-today
newark-last friday

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who got Stanford interviews...congratulations! Are they offering anything between Dec 18th and Dec 30th? (This scheduling business is getting tricky.) Do they offer every day of the week?
Thanks!

Yeah, they offer interviews on Dec 18-21.

And it seems like interviews are monday-thursday of each week.

boston - earlier this afternoon!!

Boston Children's here too.

I still haven't heard a peep from stanford, driving me up the wall as Boston, CHOP et al decided i was ok..but not stanford. :thumbdown:

Z

Jumping on the Boston Children's bandwagon this AM! :)

i'll add to the boston children's crowd . . . also recently heard from children's memorial (NW) and hopkins, though i think some of you heard from them earlier. time to start cancelling some of these . . . not an easy process! but at least a nice position to be in, right? i think the urge to start cancelling was prompted by the exhaustion of taking a bus, train, plane, train to one city yesterday and then a train, plane, train, and bus back just now (getting in at 1:45 am!). i'm going to be unpleasant on the other side of the morning in 6 hours or so. happy interviewing to you guys and gals!

Mass Gen, Stanford and Children's National Medical Center today :) Good day!!

heh, i may have been premature about getting in a huff with stanford :oops: . Got the invite today so maybe they are just sending them out slow like.

Z

UCLA!!!! Says the girl who obviously wants to move back west. Oh, and Boston Children's and Northwestern too. But yay sunshine! :)

Hello - wow deja vu...feel like I'm back to med school app days checking SDN every day! Congrats to everyone on all your interviews!

I'd been doing ok on getting interview invites from a range of programs until yesterday when I got a rejection e-mail from OHSU (Oregon). I really like the look of this program, and was wondering if anyone has heard whether Oregon has a preference for Oregon state residents or whether it's a very competitive program. I'm considering having someone call on my behalf to ask for an interview, but if I have a very low chance of getting in because I'm not an Oregonian I'm not sure whether it's even worth calling. Also, if I do call, should I call right away or should I wait a bit?

My other question (not so interview related) is about transcripts. Our student affairs office uploaded my transcript before one of my grades was posted (a rotation that I really wanted to be on the transcript) even though I had asked them to wait. They re-uploaded it 7 days later with the rotation, but I'm wondering whether programs will look at the second transcript. What do you think?

UCLA-yesterday

Children's National-today

Hello - wow deja vu...feel like I'm back to med school app days checking SDN every day! Congrats to everyone on all your interviews!

I'd been doing ok on getting interview invites from a range of programs until yesterday when I got a rejection e-mail from OHSU (Oregon). I really like the look of this program, and was wondering if anyone has heard whether Oregon has a preference for Oregon state residents or whether it's a very competitive program. I'm considering having someone call on my behalf to ask for an interview, but if I have a very low chance of getting in because I'm not an Oregonian I'm not sure whether it's even worth calling. Also, if I do call, should I call right away or should I wait a bit?

My other question (not so interview related) is about transcripts. Our student affairs office uploaded my transcript before one of my grades was posted (a rotation that I really wanted to be on the transcript) even though I had asked them to wait. They re-uploaded it 7 days later with the rotation, but I'm wondering whether programs will look at the second transcript. What do you think?

From my understanding oregon is a very solid program, I've never heard anything about them having a preference for oregon residents. Even if the chance is very low why not have someone call on your behalf? It can only do good.

No idea about your 2nd question, sorry.

Z

UCLA ;) and Childrens National in DC yesterday and today

Has anyone heard from Children's Oakland? I think I saw one reply in this list... but anyone else?

I heard from Children's Oakland on 11/7

Re: Oregon, I have a classmate from Chicago with no connections to Oregon who matched there last year (she loves it btw, so definitely give them a call if you really want to be there).

For those of you interviewing at Colorado (or from there), did you get any info on staying with residents or hotel recs? I'm planning on being there 2 nights, so hoping to save some money. Ideas?

Thanks!

UCLA Tri-Campus yesterday. Still not sure which LA interview I should do: UCLA or CHLA? (Yes, I did read the old posts.) Any Cali people have thoughts??? Thanks guys.

Pedialyte...are you able to interview at both? I think the only way to really learn about the programs is to go to the interviews.

People have generally posted all these already anyway, so nothing really new...
Interviews scheduled:
USC
CHLA
Harbor-UCLA
UCLA-Tricampus/CHAT
CHOC
UCI
UCDavis
UCSF-Fresno
Children's Oakland
Kaiser Oakland
Uni of Washington

Waiting for:
Stanford
UCSD
UCSF

OHSU = (

Anyone heard from UCSD yet?

oops and waiting for Uni of Colorado

i got canned from OHSU and seattle on the same day...
and then got an invite from northwestern the day afterwards.
go figure
still waiting on children's oakland, UCSF (fat chance), stanford (fatter chance), and UCLA.
for anyone with any interest, i'm sitting in the detroit airport, having just left my interview at ann arbor. it's worth checking out.

also waiting on UCSF, Stanford, Colorado.

considering that these are the furthest away, and i've scheduled everyone else, i don't see myself dropping everything to buy plane tickets on the rare chance they decide to send me a late interview. bleh.

in other news this week, going to visit seattle, cnmc, and children's memorial/chicago!

jsauce what did you think about umich? i'm going there soon. maybe you can post something in the interview thread!

anyone year from UCSD or UC Davis yet?
Just curious.

got some wonderful rejections this week: Standford, Seattle, Oregon, Northewester, U of Chicago. Good times.... oh well

Hi Flipflopsnsnow - I heard from UCDavis. Just got dismissed from Stanford though.

Remember if any of those programs that you got rejected from are really one's that you'd like to interview at, have one of your profs/deans call on your behalf to ask for an interview

anyone year from UCSD or UC Davis yet?
Just curious.

got some wonderful rejections this week: Standford, Seattle, Oregon, Northewester, U of Chicago. Good times.... oh well

i got denied by boston children's (not surprised) and UChicago this week also. ah, the joys!

Interviews at:
UNC (earlier today!)
Duke
UCSF
Stanford
UC Davis
Oakland Childrens
UW Seattle

Haven't heard from:
UCLA
Colorado

Turned down:
OHSU - I'm actually confused by this, as I actually did a year of research there before starting school, and I've gotten interviews at some of the 'bigger names'. At least I got the interviews I really hoped for. Good luck to everyone on the interview trail, and travel safely!

Interviews at:
UNC (earlier today!)
Duke
UCSF
Stanford
UC Davis
Oakland Childrens
UW Seattle

Haven't heard from:
UCLA
Colorado

Turned down:
OHSU - I'm actually confused by this, as I actually did a year of research there before starting school, and I've gotten interviews at some of the 'bigger names'. At least I got the interviews I really hoped for. Good luck to everyone on the interview trail, and travel safely!

I'm also kind of confused about one of my rejections. I did a sub-I at Seattle and got a glowing eval...... then a rejection. What's up with that?
One thing I'm wondering about is that one of the residents warned me they haven't accepted anyone from Texas in years. Do programs really weigh regional considerations that highly, or do I just suck? (You can be honest:oops: )

Even having 11 interviews stacked up...rejections still suck! (U of Chicago, and Brown)...

Anyone hear from UConn yet? Or Tufts?

It's been a busy week.
A bunch of new invites: Stanford, Children's National, Michigan, Children's Memorial, and Seattle. Very exciting.
Also my first rejection: Chapel Hill
Still haven't heard from Denver, UCSD, Duke or Cincinnati.... Anybody heard from them?
I also have a question for the group: how many interviews are you planning to go to?? I already have a pretty full slate, but am very interested in the ones I haven't heard from. How much is too much?

It's been a busy week.
A bunch of new invites: Stanford, Children's National, Michigan, Children's Memorial, and Seattle. Very exciting.
Still haven't heard from Denver, UCSD, Duke or Cincinnati.... Anybody heard from them?
I also have a question for the group: how many interviews are you planning to go to?? I already have a pretty full slate, but am very interested in the ones I haven't heard from. How much is too much?

I have 15 scheduled but think I am going to have to scale back. I can see myself making it to maybe 8.

So many posts to reply to!
Flipflop & Blanche: Don't worry, I got rejected by Boston Children's literally within four days of my application being submitted. Not surprising, but swift nonetheless. Who knows how this works. I mean, I haven't heard a peep from the New York schools or Emory, but California seems to like me? Is it adding diversity to their program to have a midwestern girl who downhill races? For god's sake, I live in the tundra!
Mendel79: I'm thinking of going to about ten and I'm canceling some stuff this week. I know I'm going to hate going to ten, but my sig-o (non-medical, business-y type) likes to think up our 'contingency' plans, which means more interviews for me...:sleep:

I wish we could bring back "early decision" from our college app days--that'd be great!

I just got an interview offer from Hopkins. Later than everyone else but better late than never.:)

It's been a busy week.

Denver I just heard from and scheduled about a week ago; Cincinnati was one of the first programs I heard from back in September. Not applying to UCSD or Duke, so can't help you there. I applied to 18 programs and scheduled 17 interviews (CHOP still has me on perma-hold status I guess). As soon as I finished my first interview I cancelled 5 interviews (realized that 18 would be ridiculous). Scaling back was hard, but I got bold and cancelled the 2nd tier programs that I considered to be my backups. I think 13 is still to many, but I have them grouped together so financially it won't make much difference if I cancel any more. Basically just need to mentally bear the journey. Best wishes!