Any Success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmedf93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my story. Thanks for taking the time to read it!

So, I've recently began overcoming my anxiety and depression and the aftermath of the past 3 years of my life have left me with a lot of pieces to pick up!

First of all, I stopped going to classes and ended up with some pretty bad grades that are not going to help me stand out when applying to medical schools. Anyway, I dropped out as a sophomore to 'fix' my depression and anxiety and I'm now realizing it didn't necessarily help rid my depression, but it did keep me from ruining my GPA any more than i did my last 2 semesters. I gained 50 pounds, I lost friends, and then I finally( after 1.5 years out of school) decided to be more proactive in fixing my issues (rock bottom). I've lost all that weight in the past 6 months, I've been volunteering at hospitals (falling in love with medicine all over again) and I've been nurturing a positive mindset through hobbies and book reading. I couldn't recommend my psychologist enough.

Anyway,I'm at the point where I've applied to community college to begin furthering my education. I've began looking for doctors to shadow but I'm worried that my last semester which was brutal... might cast a shadow on my obvious upward trend. I'm working on getting all A's or as many realistically possible in the next 4 semesters( summer, fall, spring, summer 2017) before applying to a better university to continue a premed route with a degree in bio-medical engineering (given I'm accepted into that program).

I understand what this may all seem like but I know what I'm capable of and these past few years have been a blessing in cultivating perseverance and dedication within myself. I'm excited to learn each subject this time around, instead of seeing each class as hole punching a card into an eventual degree.

What I'm looking for in responses:
- Success stories!
- Opinions on my situation
- Words of encouragment

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you should never mention your depression. So yeah, don't do that.

Keep a schedule! Don't deviate from the schedule. Tell yourself that if you deviate from the schedule, that would mean you don't have the self control required to be a successful student. Plan ahead. Many people I know that come from community college take forever to get their degree because of certain prereqs. Do you know what is required of your degree? Are there university specific prereqs you will need to take to avoid having to take extra semesters? If so, can you enroll in those prereqs at the university you plan to attend during your time in community college?

It seems like you should never mention your depression. So yeah, don't do that.

Keep a schedule! Don't deviate from the schedule. Tell yourself that if you deviate from the schedule, that would mean you don't have the self control required to be a successful student. Plan ahead. Many people I know that come from community college take forever to get their degree because of certain prereqs. Do you know what is required of your degree? Are there university specific prereqs you will need to take to avoid having to take extra semesters? If so, can you enroll in those prereqs at the university you plan to attend during your time in community college?

I've taken some of those steps such as making a schedule to manage work, school, and study times. I've considered enrolling at Saint Louis University but I'm concerned that I wouldn't be accepted at the moment due to being out of school for 2 years and the grades I received my last semester at UMKC. Also in Missouri, there's a law requiring all universities to accept community college credits so I'm not to worried about my classes not transferring towards a biochemistry or a bio-medical engineering degree. I wasn't planning on mentioning the deppression, but i don't see it as a weakness:) Thank you for your reply