Any Texas interviewees going to the pre-interview socials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got interviews from Houston, Galveston, and UTSW. The former two has socials the night before. Is anyone going to these? I'm going to the Houston one for sure since I live here, but to drive all the way to Galveston to go to a function at Chili's...I dunno. Anyone else going?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP? said:
Are these socials only for the super-qualified applicants? I didn't see an invite in my interview email.
I got an email later telling me about the one in Houston and got the invite to the UTMB one in the snail mail packet. I think they're for all applicants. When are you interviews?

Anastasis said:
I got an email later telling me about the one in Houston and got the invite to the UTMB one in the snail mail packet. I think they're for all applicants. When are you interviews?

I'm interviewing at Houston - 8/2, Galveston - 8/4, and UTSW - 8/19. You guys?

I'm skeptical about going to the Galveston function since it's so far, but I can't help but feel that it will slightly affect my chances of matriculation. I know it's unreasonable, but chances are I'll probably go...

Pkboi24 said:
I'm interviewing at Houston - 8/2, Galveston - 8/4, and UTSW - 8/19. You guys?

I'm skeptical about going to the Galveston function since it's so far, but I can't help but feel that it will slightly affect my chances of matriculation. I know it's unreasonable, but chances are I'll probably go...
I'm at Houston the same day but Galveston a week later. I just don't really want to drive into Houston only to drive back out to where I'm staying with friends.

MSTP? said:
Another question - anyone know about MD/PhD interviews at Houston? My email wasnt specific and I applied to both the MD and MD/PhD programs.
First, about the pre-interview socials in general-- it's really just for fun. No one is evaluating you, it has *nothing* to do with your acceptance chances. I don't think that anyone even keeps track of which interviewees show up. I know that while applying, it's tempting to overanalyze every step of the process (I know, b/c I did that too!), but really, it's just an opportunity to get to know some of the current students and other interviewees. If any of you can't make it, no big deal.

Second, about MD/PhD at UT-H-- the timeline for MD/PhD is later than MD-only. For the past couple of years, the MD/PhD interviews have been October-December. So, your MD-only interview is the one in August, and you could still get an invitation for one of the MD/PhD interviews in a couple months. I know it's not ideal to have the MD-only and MD/PhD interviews on separate weekends, meaning an extra plane flight, but, well, it'll be worth it!

They have SOCIALS for you guys? What do they serve? Frito Pie?
Seriously. The thought of you all standing around, eating cocktail weenies and talking to each other is kinda funny...texas is like its own country.

Yeah I'll probably head over to Chili's before the Aug 4th interview... Cant wait to see some of you there!

When I interviewed at UTSW they had a social the night before at a restraunt (UTSW did not pay for it) that was orgainized by class officers I think. They sent us an email the week or so before but, I'm not sure if they'll do this again this year or not.

FastForward said:
When I interviewed at UTSW they had a social the night before at a restraunt (UTSW did not pay for it) that was orgainized by class officers I think. They sent us an email the week or so before but, I'm not sure if they'll do this again this year or not.

That would be nice considering I'll probably be there the night before. I'm still waiting to hear from UTSA. Why in the world are they taking so damn long???

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be arriving late at night to the cities so my answer is no.

UTHSCSA will also be having a pre-interview social at Flying Saucer on 8/20. It's the one I could go to since I live in SA but you have to be 21+ to get into the place and I'll still be 20. They said that if you're under 21, you can call one of the med students hosting it to make special arrangements but I don't feel like being a loser.

jackieMD2007 said:
They have SOCIALS for you guys? What do they serve? Frito Pie?
Seriously. The thought of you all standing around, eating cocktail weenies and talking to each other is kinda funny...texas is like its own country.

What's up with the hating on TX schools? Getting together the night before to hang with some MS3s, MS4s, and other applicants sounds like a good idea to me. I figured every school did something like that (some companies do it for mass job interviews.)

P.S. I will PROBABLY be at the one in Galveston the night of 8/3. I'm driving in from Austin that day, so if everything works out OK (traffic in Houston, etc) I should be able to make it. I'm easy to pick out since I'll probably be the only old guy there.

I'll be the 6'1 Chinese dude looking lost and periodically tripping over things.

"Hi, nice to meet you." *Spill*

I wonder if alcohol consumption would be frowned upon at these "gatherings"...

the12thmd said:
I wonder if alcohol consumption would be frowned upon at these "gatherings"...

I doubt it since most of them take place in bars.

FastForward said:
UTSW did this? Sounds more like what San Antonio did.

Pkboi24 said:
That would be nice considering I'll probably be there the night before. I'm still waiting to hear from UTSA. Why in the world are they taking so damn long???

I totally agree about the UTSA delay i seriously don't have a big head but i am completely processed with all my stuff in and have gotten interviews at other schools in Texas are all the people getting interviews there non traditional or something alot of people i know that got in there and went were 5th or 6th years sorry for putting this in this thread but its frustrating

OH BTW i will probably go tthe UTH, 8/3 and UTMB 8/10 socials the night before i think its not a bad idea just don't make a fool of yourself

Brick said:
I totally agree about the UTSA delay i seriously don't have a big head but i am completely processed with all my stuff in and have gotten interviews at other schools in Texas are all the people getting interviews there non traditional or something alot of people i know that got in there and went were 5th or 6th years sorry for putting this in this thread but its frustrating

OH BTW i will probably go tthe UTH, 8/3 and UTMB 8/10 socials the night before i think its not a bad idea just don't make a fool of yourself
You must have good stats to feel that sense of entitlement.

Brick said:

Just wanted to let you know that yes, I am a non-traditional applicant with an interview at UTSA. I graduated in 2004 with a degree in dance, and I am also a re-applicant. Don't worry, you must have great stats to get an interview at UTSW, which I don't have. You will get an interview, just be patient!

Wow, dancer, you're doing great! I'm encouraged cuz we have similar numbers.

I guess UTSA likes their non-traditional applicants. Sadly, if only they took the time to interview me they would know that I am anything but traditional.

That's right.

I'm a circus monkey.

I was verified on 7-19 and haven't gotten any interviews from the schools w/o secondaries... :(

chaeymaey said:
Wow, dancer, you're doing great! I'm encouraged cuz we have similar numbers.

Thanks chaeymaey! I hope that this year will be our year! Good luck on the mcat and at Georgetown! Hope to see you in med school next year! :D