Any tips for increasing competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMermaid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

We are getting closer to the 2017-2018 application cycle and I was wondering if anyone had quick tips to increase competitiveness?

So far the main school I am looking at is Drexel which is out-of state for me. I have not created a full list of other schools yet since I have yet to take the MCAT. I will be sure to update this after though!

Here are my stats so far:
3.66 cGPA
3.59 sGPA

Will be taking MCAT in January

Extracurriculars
- Musician (multiple instruments) ~12 years
- Can speak Japanese and Korean with basic/intermediate fluency
- Helping cook for church ~2-3 years
- Hospital volunteer (2 departments) ~350 hours over 1.5 years (ongoing)
- Shadowing (2 MDs so far) ~40 hours (still shadowing one of them)

I only recently decided to pursue medical school and was unable to do research doing my undergraduate because I didn't realize I was interested in it until I was too close to graduation. But, I am hoping to work as a research tech after the MCAT if all goes well.
In case I am unable to, would jobs such as an EEG tech or med tech be good substitutes since they are still related to medicine? Any other ideas in case I am unable to do research?

As a side note, I believe I had posted something similar to this earlier this year in the DO forum, so please don't get angry! The reason I decided to make a separate post was because I am probably only going to apply to MD schools now since I have been having difficulty with finding a DO to shadow. Plus, my ECs are more updated now

Please feel free to share any additional advice you may have :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of in the same boat, taking the MCAT in Jan. Rather than MCAT prepping at this moment, I'm reading SDN and worrying about my personal statement. The truth is for people like us the single best thing we can do to help our apps at this point is to do well on the MCAT. So let's get off SDN and do some MCAT work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Any leadership/ initiative projects? If not, that's an area where you could improve.

Try to get all As from now on to pull that GPA up. (If you're still in school). It'd be nice to have research exposure.
And study your butt off for the MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of in the same boat, taking the MCAT in Jan. Rather than MCAT prepping at this moment, I'm reading SDN and worrying about my personal statement. The truth is for people like us the single best thing we can do to help our apps at this point is to do well on the MCAT. So let's get of SDN and do some MCAT work.
If you are a vet and have a solid MCAT score, you can go anywhere, amigo.

Reactions: 1 users
Service to others less fortunate than yourself is always good. Your app looks quite good.

Hello everyone!

We are getting closer to the 2017-2018 application cycle and I was wondering if anyone had quick tips to increase competitiveness?

So far the main school I am looking at is Drexel which is out-of state for me. I have not created a full list of other schools yet since I have yet to take the MCAT. I will be sure to update this after though!

Here are my stats so far:
3.66 cGPA
3.59 sGPA

Will be taking MCAT in January

Extracurriculars
- Musician (multiple instruments) ~12 years
- Can speak Japanese and Korean with basic/intermediate fluency
- Helping cook for church ~2-3 years
- Hospital volunteer (2 departments) ~350 hours over 1.5 years (ongoing)
- Shadowing (2 MDs so far) ~40 hours (still shadowing one of them)

I only recently decided to pursue medical school and was unable to do research doing my undergraduate because I didn't realize I was interested in it until I was too close to graduation. But, I am hoping to work as a research tech after the MCAT if all goes well.
In case I am unable to, would jobs such as an EEG tech or med tech be good substitutes since they are still related to medicine? Any other ideas in case I am unable to do research?

As a side note, I believe I had posted something similar to this earlier this year in the DO forum, so please don't get angry! The reason I decided to make a separate post was because I am probably only going to apply to MD schools now since I have been having difficulty with finding a DO to shadow. Plus, my ECs are more updated now

Please feel free to share any additional advice you may have :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm kind of in the same boat, taking the MCAT in Jan. Rather than MCAT prepping at this moment, I'm reading SDN and worrying about my personal statement. The truth is for people like us the single best thing we can do to help our apps at this point is to do well on the MCAT. So let's get off SDN and do some MCAT work.

I am guilty of this too. :oops:

The MCAT is the most important test of any premed's life!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice everyone, I greatly appreciate it!

I absolutely agree about the MCAT! It has been definitely been my main focus since graduating in May.
I just needed some advice for the future so I have somewhat of an idea of what to do after the MCAT since it is literally all I do everyday :)

With that I will be logging off and opening my next MCAT book. Thank you! Content review is just so dry at this point. I want to jump into practice exams, but I know I'm not ready.