Anybody have any advice on gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gurlkaur

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so I am stuck at a point where I'm not exactly sure what to do. I know I am taking a gap year for sure and hopefully will be ready to apply next cycle and hopefully be interviewing come next fall. That being said I would really like to know if people think it is feasible for a number of reasons:

1)I have a lower undergrad/science gpa, I'm wondering if I should retake classes. But would it really matter if I retook them after graduation to show that I am rededicating myself to the courses or retake them while still in undergrad. This would also mean taking an extra year.
2)I am taking my MCAT this upcoming winter, should I make the decision after I get my score back?
2) I have plenty of clinical experience and can talk about that so the extra year really wouldn't be dedicated to get more clinical hours, but a cool internship would be exciting
3)I do have research experience in undergrad and can talk about it, do not particularly like research so I would not be looking for research type positions

Ideally I would love to intern somewhere where I could get hands on experience, maybe in maternal or child health. I am open to international but it always comes down to the money aspect.

So: is it worth retaking classes if I have already retaken them in undergrad? Have any gap year suggestions? Anything you wish you would have done? Ideally what should be your score (in terms of above the average of 508) if you have a gpa on the lower end of the scale?

Any input is a big thanks!
 
1) Do you mean taking an extra year plus your gap year, or would that be your gap year? It shouldn't be an issue either way when you take it (although it's possible taking it as a graduate might restrict you with certain student benefits; depends on the school though).

People will disagree, but my opinion on retakes is only do so if you didn't think you did your grade justice, like if you left the class with a really weak foundation and you believe taking it a second time will help you learn the material better. Some people will argue if it's a C or greater (minimum grade req for many schools) to not look back because it will basically be seen as taking a new course added to your overall GPA rather than replaced (unless it's DO). There are pros and cons to both sides. If you can't see yourself benefitting from retaking, don't. It will save you time and money.

2) If it's the winter before you apply, you should be fine.

3) That's fine; just be prepared to talk about your research if you want to include it on your app.

As far as scores, it's hard to figure out the exact MCAT score needed to make up for a low GPA. You definitely should focus on getting a high score knowing your GPA, but in general applicants will tailor their apps to the schools they apply to after getting MCAT scores back, keeping in mind how their stats compare to the applicants of those schools from years before. There are a couple posts on this site that also delve through this topic, which may be helpful.

Other than that, you seem interested in pursuing an internship, so if that's what you want to do, then do it!

Hope this helps; best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know how well you manage time with work, school, life, etc. but I'd highly recommend blocking out a few weeks or months dedicated only to your MCAT studies. Also depending on how low your gpa is, you may or may not need to retake classes or do a masters or SMP. My premed adviser said (depending on your MCAT), for MDs anyone with a 3.2 or under should definitely consider a masters program to boost your gpa, and for DOs you can do grade replacement. The grade replacement would be awesome if you only have like 1-3 classes you tanked and could easily boost your gpa.
 
I was able to successfully retake the MCAT while working full time and a second weekend job. So it definitely possible to take the MCAT and work in your gap year, but you have to be extremely dedicated to studying. I had no life for three months but it was well worth it because I scored much higher.

About taking classes: I did not retake but I did take one additional biology classes to show I am still academically prepared despite being out of school for two years. I heard retaking is really helpful if applying DO because of grade replacement policies but less so in MD school apps. If I had planned better, I would have maybe taken an additional class. However, it is expensive to take classes unless you have a paid job to fund it. Also if you haven't taken biochemistry, I would recommend it because some of the schools required it.