Anybody's parents paying for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I get free undergrad, but then again, I'm going to a community college than transfering. I'm on my own for application, and airfare money.

Members don't see this ad.

my parents will prob pay for it if i get a 40 on my mcat

my parents offered to pay for tuition, and i'm sure as hell accepting it!

my parents are by no means rich, but i got lucky and did not have to pay for undergrad, so it's not as big of a blow.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, mine are. it's kind of an eastern cultural thing tho almost like someone else said. overseas, the kids even live with their parents until they get married so until marriage the parents completely cover the kids' expenses. later tho once the parents start to get older tho, the same is expected in return and the parents generally move in with the kids, the kids pay for all their finances, etc. it's how it works. the eastern family is much more closeknit than the western household. that's why ppl from the US don't understand and are like "WHAT YOUR PARENTS ARE PAYING FOR YOUR MED SCHOOL?? YOU ARE SO SPOILED CAN YOU DO ANYTHING WITHOUT DADDY." the truth is that's how the family system works, but these same kids will also be taking care of their parents when they are older. there is nothing closer than family in the East.

in other words, while Eastern kids may be lucky to have their parents cover all their school expenses if possible for them, the Eastern kids still don't throw their parents into nursing homes when they get older. the concept of a "nursing home" doesn't even really exist overseas. it's an american tradition made by kids to throw their parents away and not care about them.

besides, even tho my parents will be paying for my med school, i am not going to go out and pick the most expensive med school either. i'll try to get into the cheapest one as possible, but if i only get into to like a $40k+/year one, then they'll still cover me. i'll take care of them in the end when they need me. right now, i need them.

Why would you feel guilty? Why would anyone feel guilty? If your parents want to do that for you......great! Lucky you!! It is your parents' decision. It has nothing to do with whether you deserve it or not. It has nothing to do with you having to be grateful or not. It is all about your parents who want to give YOU a free ride to med school! You do not need to explain. You do not need to feel guilty. You do not even need to be grateful. It is their decision and you should not give a flying **** about what anyone could or would think.

Am I correct that you're saying someone doesn't need to be grateful for the gift of a $200,000 education?

Isn't that a bit contrary to the argument that parent's who pay for their kids school aren't spoiling them?

You definitely ought to be grateful. But there is no way to teach these sort of feelings as they are products of ones outlook/state of mind as I described earlier.

I have had to pay for my degrees and always knew that I would have been able to do better without the time lost to jobs that paid for tuition, room and board. Do I feel better about having to pay for my schooling. No. I feel somewhat cheated that I had to work twice as hard as most of the students in school. Ever showed up for calculus at 8 am after working until 4 am hoping you would wake up from the nap you had in your car in the classroom building parking? This sucks and I do not wish for my children to go through this junk.

As a parent you make pacts with your children to provide for them until they are ready to go on their own. Each child is different but you do what you can for each.

I now have paid for my degrees (BS, JD), my son's degree (BS) and my daughter's degrees (BS, MD). I was happy to do so, even though this added maybe 7 years of work before I can retire. They did there part and I met my comittment. No bitterness, just a lot of pride in seeing each kid find their way.

I pray they understand what it took and hope they use the extra leg up to do great things for themselves and their kids.

Breaking a cycle of being a victim all of time through generations is not easy. May each of you have the success you want, with or without the money from parents. It will not be easy but you can do it.

in other words, while Eastern kids may be lucky to have their parents cover all their school expenses if possible for them, the Eastern kids still don't throw their parents into nursing homes when they get older. the concept of a "nursing home" doesn't even really exist overseas. it's an american tradition made by kids to throw their parents away and not care about them.

:D Dang... even I wasn't going to go there!

I second the rest of the post though, :laugh:

My dad said the same thing as DadofDr2B, he put himself through dental school and has said to me "I don't want you to be in debt over 100k when you get out." My response was "why not all of it you selfish butthole, what's another 5 years of work!!!"(just kiddingly, seriously, I was kidding, don't get your panties in a wad.) and his response was "If I had to put myself through, you're going to have to do something." I am actually kind of glad because I will have financial independance before I'm 26 (and can feel like a real adult) but if he cares to extend the offer I'll gladly take it. That being said, he said he'd pay for all of state school tution or half of private (which is where I'm going).

Am I greatful for this... hell yes. Do I want financial independance, kind of but I'm not going to turn down 100k+ because some people think it's "honorable." You show me one person who turns down free $, and I will be there to accept it!

Yeah I didn't get any financial aid from my school because of my parents, but I think I'm getting the better end of the deal :)

Also, I hope to be able to provide the same thing for my chilwren in the future.

:D Dang... even I wasn't going to go there!

... and it's right that you didn't because by changing the focus of the argument from "Parents who pay for their kid's medical school" to "Americans throw their elders in nursing homes" the poster is making an unsupported claim by attacking those who he thinks are making the argument, rather than the argument itself. In short it is ad hominem, a logical fallacy.

For the record, my grandparents are nearly ninety years old and are still fully independent. They live close enough for us to see them several times a week, but still live in the same ranch-style house with horses and a big yard that they've always have. They are proud of their independence, as they have always been, and would probably be offended if my parents asked them to move in.

well, we do live in an individualistic society. i can't very well take care of a parent that's sick or needs help at home when i will need to provide for my own kids. if my parents want to use their money for their hobbies, vacations, cars, motorcycles, that's fine. i don't have a problem with that, but i'm not going to be letting anyone to move in with me later and cutting back work to part time, especially not with the huge debt burden that i have. it's not about throwing anyone away. it's about give and take.

Members don't see this ad :)
... and it's right that you didn't because by changing the focus of the argument from "Parents who pay for their kid's medical school" to "Americans throw their elders in nursing homes" the poster is making an unsupported claim by attacking those who he thinks are making the argument, rather than the argument itself. In short it is ad hominem, a logical fallacy.

For the record, my grandparents are nearly ninety years old and are still fully independent. They live close enough for us to see them several times a week, but still live in the same ranch-style house with horses and a big yard that they've always have. They are proud of their independence, as they have always been, and would probably be offended if my parents asked them to move in.

They live close enough for you to see several times a week eh?

Sounds like you have some asian blood in you ;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

well, we do live in an individualistic society. i can't very well take care of a parent that's sick or needs help at home when i will need to provide for my own kids. it's not about throwing anyone away. we just can't quit our jobs. there's pressure and everything's on us. i don't plan on staying at home and neither does my husband.

Yeah the argument that eastern culture would say to that is, "Well your parents did it, so why can't you"

But I mean that is given that your parents actually did it...

ad hominem? what's that? never heard of it :laugh:

no but seriously, you are missing my point. your grandparents aren't in a nursing home. they choose to be independent and live on their own. HOWEVER, under eastern culture, if they wanted to live with your family, then they would be allowed to since it is expected. i'm sure your parents would allow your grandparents to move in, but i know many fully american families who wouldn't. they have bad relationships with their parents and literally throw them into nursing homes. i'm not making this up man. i know not all elderly in nursing homes are thrown in there but many are.

in fact, my grandmother from my mom's side lived in a retirement home. it was a community of like elderly ppl...not a nursing home but basically a huge apt. complex with older folks. my parents insisted to her that she move in with us when my grandfather passed away but she didn't want to. she wanted to live there and was happy there, so we let her be. she saw it as "you don't need to be looking after an old lady! i can take care of myself!" i'm sure your grandparents think along the same lines and that's why they like to be independent. :)

I would honestly be embarrassed to have my parents pay, even if they had the means. Much more satisfying to know you did it on your own.

That's silly. As if being $200k+ in debt is some sort of badge of maturity. I wish my parents could pay for my schooling - would make residency and beyond far less stressful.

They live close enough for you to see several times a week eh?

Sounds like you have some asian blood in you ;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yeah, exactly! your scenario doesn't fit my statement at all! your family is obviously closeknit if you see them several times a week. that's awesome. i'm referring to many piece of **** families here who do throw their parents into nursing homes.

ppl who immigrate here seriously are astonished when they first hear of the concept of a nursing home. they can't believe it...they seriously see it as the ultimate lack of respect

yeah, mine are. it's kind of an eastern cultural thing tho almost like someone else said. overseas, the kids even live with their parents until they get married so until marriage the parents completely cover the kids' expenses. later tho once the parents start to get older tho, the same is expected in return and the parents generally move in with the kids, the kids pay for all their finances, etc. it's how it works. the eastern family is much more closeknit than the western household. that's why ppl from the US don't understand and are like "WHAT YOUR PARENTS ARE PAYING FOR YOUR MED SCHOOL?? YOU ARE SO SPOILED CAN YOU DO ANYTHING WITHOUT DADDY." the truth is that's how the family system works, but these same kids will also be taking care of their parents when they are older. there is nothing closer than family in the East.

besides, even tho my parents will be paying for my med school, i am not going to go out and pick the most expensive med school either. i'll try to get into the cheapest one as possible, but if i only get into to like a $40k+/year one, then they'll still cover me. i'll take care of them in the end when they need me. right now, i need them.

Um...yeah you'd have to be pretty naive to think this is strictly an "eastern culture" thing. I myself come from a Hispanic background, and the same thing is expected. In any south American country you'll see people living with their parents until they marry. My mother also still takes care of her parents, and I'll probably take care of mine. However, they are not paying for my med school, and this isn't because they do not want to, IT'S CAUSE THEY CAN'T. Sorry they don't have 200k sitting around they can chuck my way. So maybe you see this more often in "eastern" culture because Asians tend to be a lot more wealthy than Hispanics in the US.

That's silly. As if being $200k+ in debt is some sort of badge of maturity. I wish my parents could pay for my schooling - would make residency and beyond far less stressful.

exactly, anyone would prfer to have parents who could afford to pay for their school. like i said, it is then the task of the new generation to do the same for THEIR kids. so if you think about it, i guess technically everyone pays the same amount haha. it's just ppl with parents paying for their school now will just have to pay for med school checks 25 years later lol.

AND ACTUALLY, med school tuitions are only going up...higher education in general is. so technically, the ppl who don't pay now but will pay for their kids later will probably be spending more $$ on their kids lol. so i guess the ppl who have the parents paying for them now are actually more honorable since they may be paying even more for their kids in the future :laugh:

Um...yeah you'd have to be pretty naive to think this is strictly an "eastern culture" thing. I myself come from a Hispanic background, and the same thing is expected. In any south American country you'll see people living with their parents until they marry. My mother also still takes care of her parents, and I'll probably take care of mine. However, they are not paying for my med school, and this isn't because they do not want to, IT'S CAUSE THEY CAN'T. Sorry they don't have 200k sitting around they can chuck my way. So maybe you see this more often in "eastern" culture because Asians tend to be a lot more wealthy than Hispanics in the US.

sorry to say eastern culture...a better way to say it is non-american culture hahaha.

but yea, like i said, they pay for the schools if they CAN. if your parents had the money, i have no doubt they would pay for you. there are plenty of eastern families who can't afford it either and then these kids do have to take loans. so yes, i agree with you.

well, there's a big difference between a family doing the best that they can with their limited means and parents that have $100k collecting interest somewhere who refuse to let it go.

exactly, anyone would prfer to have parents who could afford to pay for their school. like i said, it is then the task of the new generation to do the same for THEIR kids. so if you think about it, i guess technically everyone pays the same amount haha. it's just ppl with parents paying for their school now will just have to pay for med school checks 25 years later lol.

So I guess I luckd out by not having kids? That statement might be premature, but I think i am lucky to be so immature...:)

well, there's a big difference between a family doing the best that they can with their limited means and parents that have $100k collecting interest somewhere who refuse to let it go.

hahaha, are you suggesting hispanics with money are stingy and even if they have the money still won't cover their children's education?

i'm not suggesting this! so don't flame me! i'm apalled to believe that...but i unfortunately don't have any hispanic friends so i don't know. most hispanics i've seen seem VERY hardworking. minus the gangs and stuff haha...but i mean, every race has those.

So I guess I luckd out by not having kids? That statement might be premature, but I think i am lucky to be so immature...:)

haha i was joking...but yea i guess you did luckout lol

Yeah, I second that.

Although I do give my respect and mad props to all the homeless people who were run out of their apartments due to debt, or the people who are in their 40's and still unable to pay downpayment for a home of thier own. I'm sure they are glad they didn't have people to tempt them with paying off their loans. Afterall, we can always make the rich richer by paying loads of interest to the banks.

hahaha, are you suggesting hispanics with money are stingy and even if they have the money still won't cover their children's education?

i'm not suggesting this! so don't flame me! i'm apalled to believe that...but i unfortunately don't have any hispanic friends so i don't know. most hispanics i've seen seem VERY hardworking. minus the gangs and stuff haha...but i mean, every race has those.
no i wasn't trying to imply anything about any particular race/ethnicity.

i just meant that there are a lot of hardworking people that just can't afford to contribute anything to their child's education no matter how much they would like to.

my parents, however, are in a comfortable retirement with money in the bank and will not pay $.01. that's fine by me, but they shouldn't expect much later in terms of help when i will be managing my debt.

man I could go on for days about eastern culture in the US cuz it's always been an interest of mine. We should start a new thread on it... I feel like this is thread jacking..

no i wasn't trying to imply anything about any particular race/ethnicity.

i just meant that there are a lot of hardworking people that just can't afford to contribute anything to their child's education no matter how much they would like to.

my parents, however, are in a comfortable retirement with money in the bank and will not pay $.01. that's fine by me, but they shouldn't expect much later in terms of help when i will be managing my debt.

oohh i see. you shouldn't say that tho...they're your parents. if they don't cover you and that pisses you off, you still are obligated to take care of them, irrespective of how good or bad of parents they were. that's just your a duty as their child no matter what. i don't know...i guess you need religion to convince you of that tho? or maybe just morals...hahaha

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

oohh i see. you shouldn't say that tho...they're your parents. if they don't cover you and that pisses you off, you still are obligated to take care of them, irrespective of how good or bad of parents they were. that's just your a duty as their child no matter what. i don't know...i guess you need religion to convince you of that tho? or maybe just morals...hahaha

i'm not going to abandon anyone here or let them die when they need care. i'm just saying that they will not be living in my house ever, but this is as much a personal issue as it is financial. in any case, it isn't as black and white as i'm laying out here. there are a lot of deep rooted issues that i won't even get into.

i'm not going to abandon anyone here or let them die when they need care. i'm just saying that they will not be living in my house ever, but this is as much a personal issue as it is financial. in any case, it isn't as black and white as i'm laying out here. there are a lot of deep rooted issues that i won't even get into.

that's what i'm saying...if they have nowhere to go and they ask to live with you tho when you're older, you are obligated to take them in IMO. that's just the way i was brought up, but i don't see why anyone would disagree with that. i don't know...oh well your decision

I don't think most of the asians parents who pay for their kid's med school are exactly the most "well off" families. It's just that they save and save and save. Not saying that other cultures don't save, but with the asian culture, this idea of saving money for the time of need is so central to their lives. Why do you think most asian families, when they buy their home, can usually put down 50% down payment (and I live in CA)? Maybe becuase I'm still first generation, but my parents don't go to the movies, expensive restaurants, brand name stores, spas, or own much luxuries. (fine, once or twice a year or something they will go somewhere.... like the zoo :rolleyes: )

Is their life of saving the best way? I didn't say that. But that's how it is with (some/alot/most?) asian families.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think most of the asians parents who pay for their kid's med school are exactly the most "well off" families. It's just that they save and save and save. Not saying that other cultures don't save, but with the asian culture, this idea of saving money for the time of need is so central to their lives. Why do you think most asian families, when they buy their home, can usually put down 50% down payment (and I live in CA)? Maybe becuase I'm still first generation, but my parents don't go to the movies, expensive restaurants, brand name stores, spas, or own much luxuries. (fine, once or twice a year or something they will go somewhere.... like the zoo :rolleyes: )

Is their life of saving the best way? I didn't say that. But that's how it is with (some/alot/most?) asian families.

i have no issue with asian culture. people have different priorities. i'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here.

IMO, you can't have your cake and eat it too. by that, i mean not helping your child out when you have the means to do so and then expecting the world of them later when they're struggling with debt and a family of their own.

that makes you second generation. :laugh: your parents are 1st gen. here!

that makes you second generation. :laugh: your parents are 1st gen. here!

nope, I came when I was 12 with my parents

fluent in both baby!

OG from the East Coast baby, the REAL east coast :laugh:

i have no issue with asian culture. people have different priorities. i'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here.

IMO, you can't have your cake and eat it too. by that, i mean not helping your child out when you have the means to do so and then expecting the world of them later when they're struggling with debt and a family of their own.

cake is sexy.

that said, yeah I know, I'm just trying to bring in a bit clarification about the notion that asians are somehow richer than other minorities (well also depends on your definition of wealth). But I mean... you really would stick your parents in a home if they spent their savings on themselves instead of you? The still provided you with a roof above your head and food in your tummy for years and years and did take care of you still...

Yeah I know the line is grey. That's why I'm not saying your opinon is wrong or anything.

I don't care what others think about this, not in the slightest. I was merely adding my voice to the discussion because I was slightly annoyed by the numerous insinuations that all students with wealthy parents are spoiled brats who wouldn't know what a hard days work was if it smacked them in the face.

I agree. I'm sick of it too.

Most folks in med school get at least some help from their parents, whether in the form of tuition, or just cost of living. Ive spoken to plenty med students who consider themselves to be “paying their own way” because they are taking out loans for tuition, but in reality, the parents help them out a lot with rent, clothing, food etc.

Since most med students start pretty soon after college, if most weren’t getting any help, the average loans med students would be taking out would have to cover 100% of all tuition and cost of living, which is usually not the case.

My Uncle Sam is picking up the bill for my entire medical school bill...and he's even generous enough to send me a check every 2 weeks as well.

cake is sexy.

that said, yeah I know, I'm just trying to bring in a bit clarification about the notion that asians are somehow richer than other minorities (well also depends on your definition of wealth). But I mean... you really would stick your parents in a home if they spent their savings on themselves instead of you? The still provided you with a roof above your head and food in your tummy for years and years and did take care of you still...

Yeah I know the line is grey. That's why I'm not saying your opinon is wrong or anything.

i don't think i can provide an unequivocal answer because there would be lots of factors that go into that decision when it came down to it. are they fairly independent? can they do things by themselves? or are they ill and need someone with them all the time to help them live day to day?

it also depends on the relationship you have with your family. my parents love me. i'm sure of it, but my life growing up wasn't super positive and we're not tight. they're not the first people that i want to talk to when i hear good news.

My grandpa turns 90 this year. Heck, I beg him to come stay with us...as in live with us but he refuses. I would refuse too if I had my own apartment, had no serious illnesses, took the local bus everywhere and love to walk every day. I would not want my own independence taken away by living with my kids (future ones that is...). I just had to clarify that point. SOME grandparents actually like to live on their own...despite us grandkids (and their kids) loving them to death and my parents actually spending 30k on building a new extension in the house just for him...

End of rant. Sorry for going off-topic but I was ticked off by the seeming self-righteous act of taking your parents in with you when you're older. uggh. If I was still healthy and my kids forced me to live with them, I'd disown them and move to Australia. Which is why I totally understand my grandpa's position. In our defense, however, we're just concerned he may fall, break a hip, whatever and he wouldn't be able to get help in time since he's almost 90.

Edit: I ADMIRE OLD PEOPLE LIKE MY GRANDPA WHO CAN STILL HAVE THE DRIVE TO BE INDEPENDENT AT SUCH AN OLD AGE AND CONTINUE TO VISIT THEIR KIDS REGULARLY. haha, I get money from him so I guess in our culture, grandparents end up doing the spoiling. YAY! I just had to praise my grandpa. He's the best. I will continue to bug him to come and stay with us.

My grandpa turns 90 this year. Heck, I beg him to come stay with us...as in live with us but he refuses. I would refuse too if I had my own apartment, had no serious illnesses, took the local bus everywhere and love to walk every day. I would not want my own independence taken away by living with my kids (future ones that is...). I just had to clarify that point. SOME grandparents actually like to live on their own...despite us grandkids (and their kids) loving them to death and my parents actually spending 30k on building a new extension in the house just for him...

End of rant. Sorry for going off-topic but I was ticked off by the seeming self-righteous act of taking your parents in with you when you're older. uggh. If I was still healthy and my kids forced me to live with them, I'd disown them and move to Australia. Which is why I totally understand my grandpa's position. In our defense, however, we're just concerned he may fall, break a hip, whatever and he wouldn't be able to get help in time since he's almost 90.

haha, that's why you need that LifeCall thing or whatever it is. remember "i've fallen and i can't get up?"

haha, that's why you need that LifeCall thing or whatever it is. remember "i've fallen and i can't get up?"

:laugh::laugh:
Holy crap that commercial used to crack me up. The operator on the other line is WAY to calm.

LOL. I will look into it!

Holy crap that commercial used to crack me up. The operator on the other line is WAY to calm.

damn, never heard that commercial. I guess we don't care about broken hips in elders. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

*read the last sentence with a tonne of sarcasm*

...SOME grandparents actually like to live on their own...despite us grandkids (and their kids) loving them to death and my parents actually spending 30k on building a new extension in the house just for him...

Yeah but what if in the case they have an accident? Sometimes it's for their own safety you know. And it's not like you have to live in the same room as them. If they want independence then get them a place down the block from you so you can visit. It's like of like how you don't just say "okay suit yourself" to a guy who is refusing chemo for his bone cancer, you try to work something out. (Okay fine I know some people would say that but I wouldn't, so the analogy made sense to me at least)

Actually I just realized I was thinking about the commercial where the elderly man falls and yells out, "Help! I'm having heart attack!"

The falling one commercial is good too, but that heart attack one is just pure gold. Granted some people could tell when they are having a heart attack but who yells out their diagnosis like that when they are falling over? It's like someone fell on the street and was like, "help! I'm having an acute liver failure!"

Yeah but what if in the case they have an accident? Sometimes it's for their own safety you know. And it's not like you have to live in the same room as them. If they want independence then get them a place down the block from you so you can visit. It's like of like how you don't just say "okay suit yourself" to a guy who is refusing chemo for his bone cancer, you try to work something out. (Okay fine I know some people would say that but I wouldn't, so the analogy made sense to me at least)

Did you read my post? We built him a whole new extension just for him. That includes room, bathroom, plasma TV, and whatever else we thought he would like to have/ make him comfortable. I'd rather have a happy grandpa living his last few years with peace of mind than a miserable grandpa forced to live with his kid. My grandpa likes to take walks and I won't lie. We get all worried when he's not back within a reasonable time frame and I think that bothers him. He likes being his own boss and I don't blame him. I'm the exact same way and I'll be stubborn with my kids as well.