Anybody's parents paying for med school?

Started by 186321
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Did you read my post? We built him a whole new extension just for him. That includes room, bathroom, plasma TV, and whatever else we thought he would like to have/ make him comfortable. I'd rather have a happy grandpa living his last few years with peace of mind than a miserable grandpa forced to live with his kid. My grandpa likes to take walks and I won't lie. We get all worried when he's not back within a reasonable time frame and I think that bothers him. He likes being his own boss and I don't blame him. I'm the exact same way and I'll be stubborn with my kids as well.

mm okay I'll concede to that people have different opinions on this issue
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...

in other words, while Eastern kids may be lucky to have their parents cover all their school expenses if possible for them, the Eastern kids still don't throw their parents into nursing homes when they get older. the concept of a "nursing home" doesn't even really exist overseas. it's an american tradition made by kids to throw their parents away and not care about them.
....

I get what you're saying. I love my parents but I don't like them... Their constant nagging drives me crazy. I have been out of their house for over ten years and never returned... not even for the holidays. Although we are in good terms and actually we do have a good relationship, I don't see myself living with them any more.

I think sending parents to nursing home is a good idea for at least two reasons. First, eventually we have a family. I don't see how you can have a happy family of your own if your parents or in-laws live with you and are meddling all the time. I am married but with no kids and based on my experience, parents can't help it but to give unsolicited comments when my spouse does or does not do something to their liking. It seems they try to conspire with me against my spouse or something. And it does feel a waste of time to even talk to them against it. Parents always think that they are right and can do no wrong, at least my parents think so.

Second, when they get older, they will need constant attention (medical etc.) that we will not be able to provide, especially that we have to work. Think about it, if they fall and no one else is around, what's going to happen? This actually happened to my mother-in-law when the house was empty. She was not found until someone got back from work. For our happiness and their safety, nursing home is a wonderful alternative. I do not see why parents, especially asians(?) should object to this kind of living. I know many retirement homes in SF that offer affordable yet luxurious living for the elderlies at a reasonable price tag. Older generations should seriously change their mindset...
 
i'm seriously considering writing to angelina jolie and asking her to include me in her charity fund.

agreed. I don't understand why these rich people are throwing money left and right for some obscure foreigners while they can help us, their fellow Americans who are in training to do good.
 
Um...yeah you'd have to be pretty naive to think this is strictly an "eastern culture" thing. I myself come from a Hispanic background, and the same thing is expected. In any south American country you'll see people living with their parents until they marry. My mother also still takes care of her parents, and I'll probably take care of mine. However, they are not paying for my med school, and this isn't because they do not want to, IT'S CAUSE THEY CAN'T. Sorry they don't have 200k sitting around they can chuck my way. So maybe you see this more often in "eastern" culture because Asians tend to be a lot more wealthy than Hispanics in the US.


Lol, who said every Asian parent has 200K sitting around? Lol, my 'rents don't have 200K+ sitting around, I don't have a cellphone and my allowance is 10 bucks a week (not that i am complaining about it, i think it's alright.) my dad works two jobs and used to work 3 but gave the other one up since he can't take the stress from his other job and he still pays for my tuition and they do not want me to work. I'd be willing to work of course. Idk about the rich thing about Asians, well it's not like there's something wrong with it right? well, unless you steal money for your wealth.
 
I have had to pay for my degrees and always knew that I would have been able to do better without the time lost to jobs that paid for tuition, room and board. Do I feel better about having to pay for my schooling. No. I feel somewhat cheated that I had to work twice as hard as most of the students in school. Ever showed up for calculus at 8 am after working until 4 am hoping you would wake up from the nap you had in your car in the classroom building parking? This sucks and I do not wish for my children to go through this junk.
Sure, I have. I had a 9am class right after a 24-hour shift that got off at 7:30am. I even worked 48 hours in a 72 hour span, in the middle of the school week. I certainly didn't feel cheated in the slightest, because I know that I got more out of my school experience than most of my classmates. You get out what you put in, so I put a lot in.
 
oohh i see. you shouldn't say that tho...they're your parents. if they don't cover you and that pisses you off, you still are obligated to take care of them, irrespective of how good or bad of parents they were. that's just your a duty as their child no matter what. i don't know...i guess you need religion to convince you of that tho? or maybe just morals...hahaha
Not exactly. It was THEIR decision to have you, not the other way around. Their responsibility is to the child up until 18 years, and it doesn't just switch at that point.
 
yeah, exactly! your scenario doesn't fit my statement at all! your family is obviously closeknit if you see them several times a week. that's awesome. i'm referring to many piece of **** families here who do throw their parents into nursing homes.

ppl who immigrate here seriously are astonished when they first hear of the concept of a nursing home. they can't believe it...they seriously see it as the ultimate lack of respect

lol, heck yes. my dad feels that way, he's a huge critic about it, i try to explain things to him but he just wouldn't listen. lol, but it's ok.. also my dad does not like the idea of making your kids move out (unless you go to a diff't univ that's away from home). He realizes the independence virtue thing but he disregards it anyway. He deems it as an impractical idea for 18+ y/o peeps to move out intentionally and also the idea for parents to want to kick out their children (he thinks that you're not taking care of your children.) Impractical because if you would be moving out and live in the same vicinity, just different apartment/house, it would be much more expensive and also you have to pay for other costs (internet, phone, food, etc etc, yeah i know you guys know that 🙂) whereas living in your parents home would cost less . You could help them out with the bills but not spend as much compared to living in a diff't house in the same vicinity. I'd agree with him about that. 😀 I guess some kids want to move out since they don't like rules. lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I doubt there are many pre-meds, if at all, that will be getting a free ride because of their parents.

Believe it or not, my parents offered to pay for all of med school. My father says it's their responsibility to put me through all of college (even though they already paid my undergrad tuition in its entirety through loans). And I'm not even a traditional student. I'm in my 30s. I turned them down, but I have the best parents in the whole world.
 
Believe it or not, my parents offered to pay for all of med school. My father says it's their responsibility to put me through all of college (even though they already paid my undergrad tuition in its entirety through loans). And I'm not even a traditional student. I'm in my 30s. I turned them down, but I have the best parents in the whole world.

Oh, my parents want to pay for med school as well. I didn't turn down their offer. I was just saying we're a lucky few. My parents paid for my undergrad and my living expenses during undergrad (I didn't live at home). But even then, I worked during the summer so that I may have extra pocket money, so to speak. And well, as long as I had money in my bank account, I spent it on food, bills, etc.... My parents would gladly give me money. I just think I like to work and cover some of my expenses on my own.

I'm one lucky gal, I know. I'm grateful that both my parents are working physicians....
 
Yeah but what if in the case they have an accident? Sometimes it's for their own safety you know. And it's not like you have to live in the same room as them. If they want independence then get them a place down the block from you so you can visit. It's like of like how you don't just say "okay suit yourself" to a guy who is refusing chemo for his bone cancer, you try to work something out. (Okay fine I know some people would say that but I wouldn't, so the analogy made sense to me at least)
If they have an accident, they can call 911 or their children. My aunt now lives with my grandma (in my grandma's house), and most of my grandma's other 7 daughters visit her often, so she has almost around-the-clock help. Does my grandma need help? Yes. Would she want to move in with any of us? Hell no. That'd be a huge insult to her independence.
 
If they have an accident, they can call 911 or their children. My aunt now lives with my grandma (in my grandma's house), and most of my grandma's other 7 daughters visit her often, so she has almost around-the-clock help. Does my grandma need help? Yes. Would she want to move in with any of us? Hell no. That'd be a huge insult to her independence.

👍 My point exactly.
 
No my parents wont be paying for any of that. They never have and i hope that they will never have to. I have been fortunate enough to have a job that will pay for my undergrad and will "help" with med school if I work there after I am done.

but if i ever offered my parents help they would get extremly offended. it must be a mexican thing 🙄.
 
Not exactly. It was THEIR decision to have you, not the other way around. Their responsibility is to the child up until 18 years, and it doesn't just switch at that point.

In my view, that responsibility does end at 18 years. I don't plan to pay for undergrad for my kids, even on a doctor's salary. Much less medical school. Loans are just so easy to get. Maybe I'll go as far as in-state tuition, and anything above that they can pay if they want to go to the Ivy League or Swarthmore or what have you. They can pay their own room-and-board, or live at home for free.

My own situation was that my parents paid for my undergrad until I dropped out. When I went back a few years later, I paid my own way and my GPA improved quite a bit. Coincidence? I think people appreciate things more when they pay for it, or take out loans for it, themselves.
 
In my view, that responsibility does end at 18 years. I don't plan to pay for undergrad for my kids, even on a doctor's salary. Much less medical school. Loans are just so easy to get. Maybe I'll go as far as in-state tuition, and anything above that they can pay if they want to go to the Ivy League or Swarthmore or what have you. They can pay their own room-and-board, or live at home for free.

My own situation was that my parents paid for my undergrad until I dropped out. When I went back a few years later, I paid my own way and my GPA improved quite a bit. Coincidence? I think people appreciate things more when they pay for it, or take out loans for it, themselves.



TheProwler isn't arguing that a parent's responsibility should extend past 18 years old. In fact, he's arguing that it SHOULD, just like you. He was saying that it doesn't SWITCH so that suddenly at the age of 18 your responsibility is to take care of your parents.
 
My own situation was that my parents paid for my undergrad until I dropped out. When I went back a few years later, I paid my own way and my GPA improved quite a bit. Coincidence? I think people appreciate things more when they pay for it, or take out loans for it, themselves.

Birds of Paradise, right? Man, it has been a long time.
 
oh boy, am I glad that all education is free in Denmark, where I live! Including medical school! Yeah, not to worry about debt or anything... (Just 50% taxes for the rest of my life, but still... 🙂)
 
Birds of Paradise, right? Man, it has been a long time.

LOL, yeah! You're the first person to recognize the BoP the nearly 2 years they've been plastered all over these forums... hahaha. Either you're an older guy like me or you were very young when you played!
 
LOL, yeah! You're the first person to recognize the BoP the nearly 2 years they've been plastered all over these forums... hahaha. Either you're an older guy like me or you were very young when you played!

I started in the fall of 1996, Mirage had just been released, and I was 11. BoP had that same image until 2001, though.
 
I started in the fall of 1996, Mirage had just been released, and I was 11. BoP had that same image until 2001, though.

Ha, I was wrong then huh! I stopped playing within a year before you started, because I didn't have time for it in college! Just think, you were 11 then and I was in college, now you're probably in medical school and I'm not yet!

Just played again over Christmas with an old friend... we still have all of our old cards! We played from the Legends expansion through Ice Age. It was a joy to pull out the Birds of Paradise again, all 4 of them.. all Revised, because that's the only basic set we were ever really around for.
 
I've taken care of my undergrad and will be also paying for medical school...which means taking out ridiculous amounts of loans and hoping for great financial aid. My boyfriend (who will be my husband by this time) will be working, so hopefully that will decrease the level of loans I'll have to take out...but overall, it's gonna be expensive...I'm poor enough, though, so maybe I'll get good finaid options. Does anyone know the levels of grant money available for med students?
 
... and it's right that you didn't because by changing the focus of the argument from "Parents who pay for their kid's medical school" to "Americans throw their elders in nursing homes" the poster is making an unsupported claim by attacking those who he thinks are making the argument, rather than the argument itself. In short it is ad hominem, a logical fallacy.

For the record:

Argumentum ad hominem is the logical fallacy of attempting to undermine a speaker's argument by attacking the speaker instead of addressing the argument. The mere presence of a personal attack does not indicate ad hominem: the attack must be used for the purpose of undermining the argument, or otherwise the logical fallacy isn't there. It is not a logical fallacy to attack someone; the fallacy comes from assuming that a personal attack is also necessarily an attack on that person's arguments.

You are wrong, coldweatherblue.
 
For the record:

Argumentum ad hominem is the logical fallacy of attempting to undermine a speaker's argument by attacking the speaker instead of addressing the argument. The mere presence of a personal attack does not indicate ad hominem: the attack must be used for the purpose of undermining the argument, or otherwise the logical fallacy isn't there. It is not a logical fallacy to attack someone; the fallacy comes from assuming that a personal attack is also necessarily an attack on that person's arguments.

You are wrong, coldweatherblue.

Perhaps "straw man" is the better term for the fallacy coldweather was trying to say?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If your parents are wealthy, but not billionaires, or even if they are...

... my story is for you to read.

My older cousin attended a very expensive medical school, C.O.A. of over 70K a year, that her parents completely financed. I will remain vague to protect disclosure of her.

Soon after completing her USMLE- Step II (she was an M4), she died in a freak accident. No one was at fault.

The whole situation was awful, but what saddened me, was how she used to talk proudly about the dream she was going to fulfill as a doctor, and buy her mom a new BMW, as a "thank you, thanks for believing in me."

While her parents did not cry over their lost 300K for the 4 years of school, they only missed their daughter.

But I was upset for two reasons-- not only was my cousin gone, but she could never do what she had so proudly planned for her mom.

SDN'er's - perhaps if she had purchased life insurance for herself while in medical school, her dream could still have happened.

Please interpret my story as you will... its just that I've read many of your posts in this thread that state you really appreciate your parents paying for med school, and as a doctor you plan on assisting them as well (by whatever means). So, a question you might ask yourself-

What if you don't complete medical school?
 
You're separate for federal purposes, but almost all institutions require parent info to be considered for grant/scholarship money (or at the very least certain grants/scholarships). Thus, for this money it makes all the difference in the world.

I have a question... I'm going to be 40 when I start, and I don't have a lot of contact with my parents - in fact, I'm not even sure where one of them is. (Long story). So will this apply to me? And if it does, is there some kind of waiver for this kind of situation?

Sorry for the highjack... um, obviously, I'm paying for it, just like I did for undergrad (and I graduated with 1000.00 of debt). :laugh:
 
I have a question... I'm going to be 40 when I start, and I don't have a lot of contact with my parents - in fact, I'm not even sure where one of them is. (Long story). So will this apply to me? And if it does, is there some kind of waiver for this kind of situation?

Sorry for the highjack... um, obviously, I'm paying for it, just like I did for undergrad (and I graduated with 1000.00 of debt). :laugh:

unfortunately, for most schools, parental information is required to be considered for institutional aid. i'm sure if they're deceased or you don't know where they are, that will be taken into account.

when you get an acceptance, that might be something to talk with financial aid about. give em a call.
 
oohh i see. you shouldn't say that tho...they're your parents. if they don't cover you and that pisses you off, you still are obligated to take care of them, irrespective of how good or bad of parents they were. that's just your a duty as their child no matter what. i don't know...i guess you need religion to convince you of that tho? or maybe just morals...hahaha

^^^^WINNER!!!
That's exactly how I feel. I live for my parents and live for their best interests. Which is to hurry the f*ck up and get into med school to take care of them before the grim reaper does..:laugh::laugh: jk I don't know what I'll do if that happen. But, I know it will definitely make me try even harder to succeed in life.
 
With my family it's pretty much an unspoken understanding that my parents will provide for me until I can make the big bux, then I am expected to take care of my parents as they have for me (i.e. buy them a vacation home, have them move in with me, hire servants/caretakers for them, send them 20-30% of my monthly income etc.)

I don't think so my folks expect the same thing. It may just be an asian thing.

I know for a fact that after sophomore year, my parents told me I had to start taking out loans in order to pay for the rest of my college tuition in my junior and senior years. Thus, asking them for help to pay for medical school when they have three more kids after me was definitely out of the question. It also doesn't help that my family is Filipino. I am on my own in paying for my education.

Yeah, when ****in' monkies fly out of my ***.

That's right. You'll have two permanent, happy babysitters! 🙄

In reality, you'll end up supporting two grumpy old people who require lots of room, attention, and cost lots to support. And those two grumpy old people will play with the grandkids for a week, after which they'll spend the rest of their lives telling you how the grandkids are getting out of control and how you need to be a better parent and how the kids should shut the hell up. And your marriage will be trashed when they start to hate your wife.

Or maybe that's just a white American thing!

I'm Irish.

When I asked my parents to pay for med school, they said yes but didn't remember it the next morning when the hangover wore off. :luck::laugh::luck:
 
I initially didn't want my parents to help me pay for med school, but they asked me if I'd rather owe the bank or owe them. I considered the Army program but eventually decided the extra commitment after I graduate would be too much for me in exchange for the money. I'm going to try for scholarships/grants/subsidized loans in the meantime and borrow (interest-free of course 🙂) from my parents to cover the rest. In return, I will take care of them when they're no longer able to (which I would have done even if they didn't offer me the money, before I get flamed).

P.S. I'm Asian too if NotForTheMoney is still interested.
 
Yeah I think the idea that both you and your parents are on your own once you hit 18 is a sad and lonely one. My mom can't afford to pay for any of my med school, but she did offer to sell her house the other day to help me with it, which I would definitely not allow. She believes it's her duty to do whatever she can to help her kids until the day she dies. Even though she likes to think she would never let me give her money or help her in any way once she's older, I fully plan to because that just seems right to me. She's definitely been pretty crazy in my life, but I agree that the character of your parents or how much they irritate you (unless they terribly mistreated or abused you) should not have a bearing on your sense of duty to repay your unpayable debt to them. There's a reason why every culture (until this one) has held parents as the holiest of holies short of some almighty force.

P.S. not asian, but I am an immigrant
 
Last edited:
Well my undergrad was paid by the lottery and I just borrowed for study abroad

My parents have done a lot for me though- my dad bought my first (cheap) car which was something he had told me he wouldn't do then he co-signed on a new car for me when that was was totaled.

Now he has taken over car payments and will pay my car off before I start medical school- that is a lot for me!

There is a chance my parents will contribute time to time as my dad gets bonuses and stuff but I am not expecting it and will count it as a blessing if they help me
 
My grandparents made investments when I was born for the sole purpose of paying for whatever education I ended up pursuing. Not enough for all med school, but it will cover 2 years of tuition, books, housing, and whatnot. Then for the second 2 years, I'm on my own getting loans.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
in short yes

the story behind it:

I was planning on going to law school, my parents want me to go to medical school, so they convinced me to spend an extra year in undergrad to finish requirements, but doing so, I am giving up my law school acceptances + money, so they are going to pay for the medical school.
 
My parents are immigrants, they would think it was a failure of theirs if I did NOT accept their money to go to medical school. It's really weird, and I feel lucky.

I will work damn hard so I can provide my family with the same opportunity.

I also agree with earlier posts about not putting your parents into houses of death. I will NEVER put my parents in a home. It is a disgrace.
 
My parents are immigrants, they would think it was a failure of theirs if I did NOT accept their money to go to medical school. It's really weird, and I feel lucky.

I will work damn hard so I can provide my family with the same opportunity.

I also agree with earlier posts about not putting your parents into houses of death. I will NEVER put my parents in a home. It is a disgrace.

lol, just wanted to point out that this statement sounds kind of funny when taken out of the context.

"I will NEVER put my parents in a home."

😀
 
Whats more sad is that I don't even get it 😳

nvm, it's late, and I been studying all day, so my perception of humor is no longer normal.

To justify what I was thinking, I would have put, "I'd rather put them in a sweat shop!" or something along those lines after your statement. Like I said, I need to get out and go for a jog or something. 🙄