Anybody's parents paying for med school?

Started by 186321
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My grandfather made some pretty wise investments in his later years so he's come into some money as of late. He offered to cover tuition since he knows that's a pretty good way to invest in the future of his family. Living expenses are all me, but who can complain about that? I just hope when I'm his age, my kids will be doing fine and my good fortune can skip to the next generation.
 
My parents make WAY too much money for me to be considered for any financial aid. Of course, they're way over their heads in credit card debt because they are terrible with money, so there's no way in hell they can help me. Soon I will be another family member with a gigantic sad red number glaring at me. I hope that physician salaries won't end up so low that I can't afford to pay back my loans... I bet that I'll be getting nothing but "we hate you because your parents make lots of money" high-interest loans. Of course, I am still waiting for my family to give me this year's taxes... 🙁

Yeah. I hope that I'll be able to find a nice cardboard box to live in during my residency.

As a medical student you're considered independent and it doesn't matter what your parents make. You will be eligible for financial aid.
 
My parents are paying. It was never even a question. My mother basically said id get the $ now, or Id get it in their will, so theres absolutely no way they wouldnt consider paying. I dont know what wed do otherwise. Were using our savings to buy a house, I dont think wed be able to do that if I had to pay for medical school. Its like what 200k or something right? Im really thankful that my parents are paying, but truth be told, among my friends, most of them are not taking out loans, their parents are paying for med/dent/law school.

However, I am also disgusted by the notion that I should be embarrassed that my parents are paying for my medical education. It seems to be a common perception that individuals with wealthy parents are by default lazy and have never worked a day in their life (although certainly true in some cases). I have held a steady job (full time in summer, part time during school) since sophomore year of high school. Nothing outstanding I know, but I also know that I that I work more hours and put more effort into school than several friends who complain about having poor parents and having to take out loans. Don't dismiss someone's work ethic or competence because they were dealt a great hand.

I agree with every word of this. I worked every summer since I was in 8th grade, either part time or full time. Just because I "have it easy" in some ways and can afford to go on nice trips and whatever, doesnt mean I have no work ethic, am spoiled, and lazy.


Oh, and whoever said that they wouldn't let their parents pay if they could afford it is either full of **** or seriously lacking in common sense. Luckily my momma didn't raise no fool.
Im with you 100%!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My parents make WAY too much money for me to be considered for any financial aid. Of course, they're way over their heads in credit card debt because they are terrible with money, so there's no way in hell they can help me. Soon I will be another family member with a gigantic sad red number glaring at me. I hope that physician salaries won't end up so low that I can't afford to pay back my loans... I bet that I'll be getting nothing but "we hate you because your parents make lots of money" high-interest loans. Of course, I am still waiting for my family to give me this year's taxes... 🙁

Yeah. I hope that I'll be able to find a nice cardboard box to live in during my residency.

SBBunny,

As far as loans, since medical school is considered graduate school by the federal government, you file your FAFSA as an independent. Your parents' income is not factored into your EFC at all. As a result, you will be getting gobs of financial aid - most of it in stafford unsubsidized loans.
 
I'm not judging any of you whose parents are paying full ride for med school, since I don't know you on a personal level, but the students at my school whose parents are paying full ride tend to be conceited about this issue. My parents are helping a little, but most of my med school will be paid for with loans.
 
I'm sure that there's many med students whose parents are paying for it all.

That said, I'm not sure there's many med students' parents who can afford to pay for it all.

In my experience, baby boomers feel that it's some kind of "status symbol" to brag that they have saved and paid for their kids' educations. It's almost a mark of shame to admit that they can't pay for education.

Which is odd, because most baby boomers have saved next to nothing for retirement.

"Modern" financial advice is that you should save for your own retirement first. Then when that is settled and in good shape, you can start thinking about saving for your kids' college. Most boomers got that the wrong way round.

So here's my take on what will happen.

1 - student has parents shell out at least $250,000 for med school (and undergrad).
2 - parents get a little older and sicker.
3 - parents end up realizing that medical care for older people is a lot more expensive than they thought.
4 - student, now a doctor in the key years of developing a solid career foundation, ends up spending a crapload of their own money supporting the parents. For years and years and years, because the parents have the ultimate guilt story - "we're in this situation because we put you through school to give you a great life as a doctor."

It all evens up in the end financially. And if it doesn't, then it doesn't really matter - as a doctor, you should be in a good position to save for retirement and pay for your kids' college.

And putting yourself through college or med school, even by borrowing the whole thing, is something character-building and to be proud of. I also think those students paying for it themselves tend to get better grades since it's their "own money" that they're spending and they want to get the best value for it.

(Plus, to be honest, a 26 to 28 year old who has never had to support him or herself is kind of a tool in real life. Nobody likes them! :meanie:)
 
i dont know about you guys, but the way i was raised, parents take care of you until your older and set, then its your turn to take care of them. so if your parents are paying for your education, good for you, just make sure you shell out a few grand from your monthly income to make sure your parents are comfortable, even if they already are. my parents are in no way paying for my education, all loans here, but im definitely putting at least 3 grand away per month once im an attending so that my mother no longer has to work or pay for morgage.
 
McLovinMD said:
Oh, and whoever said that they wouldn't let their parents pay if they could afford it is either full of **** or seriously lacking in common sense. Luckily my momma didn't raise no fool.

Some parents who offer to pay for medical school do so even if they don't just have the money saved up - parents will do crazy things for their children, pulling from their retirement funds, personal savings, etc in order to see their children succeed.

I know that if my mother had offered to help me pay for medical school (and she fluctuated on that fact earlier on) I would have told her no. She's 54 years old, she worked her butt off to help me get through undergrad, and I know she did so at the expense of her retirement fund. She deserves to start putting money towards HER future, not mine when I am easily eligible for all the loans I need.
 
Anyone else have mom/dad/parents in general that are crazy rich but unwilling to help you financially in med school while at the same time ramming crazy expectations into you from the age of barney-binky sucking age 2? Oh well, atleast I found this quote:

"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
 
My parents make way too much money for me to actually even dream of getting some serious govt aid. They are going to laugh in my face just like they did when I applied for financial aid for undergrad.

I often picture getting a you're joking letter back from medical schools when I turn in my fafsa next year (God willing...if I am successful in the app process).

However, I do recognize that I am pretty blessed by the fact that I did not have to take out any loans for undergrad.
 

Why do some of you think you're "honorable" for paying your way through med school, or it's embarrassing to have parents pay for it? I'm sorry my parents have decided to pay, but that isn't going to make med school or residency any easier, i'll just have more money, (and they can afford it)
​

Ultimately the only things one "possesses" are his physical abilities and his state of mind. I consider it a privilege to have been self-reliant from an early age because it has given me both the satisfaction that comes from hard, necessary work, and the assurance that with enough effort anything is possible. These things are pretty much priceless because they are nearly impossible to obtain outside of experiences that most would consider "unpleasant" such as sitting in Chateau d'If for fourteen years :laugh: or working 30 hrs/week in undergrad to support oneself. I'm not saying life has been hard for me; I've never been in need of food or shelter, on the contrary it has been very easy and enjoyable; but difficult enough so that I know that the more I accomplish on my own the more self-respect I have, and that is something very valuable to me.

Plus if your parents pay for med school, aren't you pretty much their b****? Imagine sitting around the table as a fifty-year old attending and having your mom say "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" and to everything you respond saying how you don't want to eat meat, they'll just say "Well we paid for med school so eat the damn meat!!!".
 
Well, my parents have both the money and desire to pay for me to attend the bigger named private school, than to go to state school. If I had to do this all on loans I'd go to state school and save the 100k difference. But the very thought of that practically drives me parents crazy, so they offered to pay the tuition for me to attend the school with better bragging rights.

All sarcasm aside though, I do consider myself extremely lucky to have folks who can "give" me the money for med school. I have every intention of paying it back when I can. They'll be taking interest In the form of moving in with me when I have kids so they can retire and just play with their grandkids. Yeah, I think it's an Asian thing.
 
I'm an older student and my parents were older when they had me, so they are both over 70 now. One is retired and the other is still working because she can't afford to retire. She's 71 and still working so that she can afford her dental bills and mortgage. When I graduated college, I got a good paying job so that I could give HER money when needed. And I haven't gotten support from my dad since his last child-support payment. I'm certainly not expecting any now.

I do find it rather insulting to have them have to parade their finances to the school before I can sign the dotted line for my loans. But, such is the way it is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Um, my mom is going to continue paying my cell phone bill... I'm not sure if that counts.
 
Plus if your parents pay for med school, aren't you pretty much their b****? Imagine sitting around the table as a fifty-year old attending and having your mom say "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" and to everything you respond saying how you don't want to eat meat, they'll just say "Well we paid for med school so eat the damn meat!!!".

This is absolutely correct. After realizing that parental support doesn't come for free - there are these kind of strings attached - I gave up on asking my parents for anything. It's not worth it.
 
They'll be taking interest In the form of moving in with me when I have kids so they can retire and just play with their grandkids.

That's right. You'll have two permanent, happy babysitters! 🙄

In reality, you'll end up supporting two grumpy old people who require lots of room, attention, and cost lots to support. And those two grumpy old people will play with the grandkids for a week, after which they'll spend the rest of their lives telling you how the grandkids are getting out of control and how you need to be a better parent and how the kids should shut the hell up. And your marriage will be trashed when they start to hate your wife.

Or maybe that's just a white American thing!
 
As a medical student you're considered independent and it doesn't matter what your parents make. You will be eligible for financial aid.

SBBunny,

As far as loans, since medical school is considered graduate school by the federal government, you file your FAFSA as an independent. Your parents' income is not factored into your EFC at all. As a result, you will be getting gobs of financial aid - most of it in stafford unsubsidized loans.

For any institutional aid, schools need parental information for any grants and scholarships (anyone under thirty years of age is considered dependent on their parents for financial support in considering need-based aid). You do have a point though- I'm still eligible for federal loans and it's comforting to hear that I'll still be able to finance my education. On the bright side, I've always been most interested in the various surgical specialties (and I would be no matter what my finances looked like), so I can reasonably expect to pay back the loans... but after 7+ years of residency, the interest is not going to be pretty.

Plus if your parents pay for med school, aren't you pretty much their b****? Imagine sitting around the table as a fifty-year old attending and having your mom say "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" and to everything you respond saying how you don't want to eat meat, they'll just say "Well we paid for med school so eat the damn meat!!!".

On the bright side, financial independence will be a really good feeling. I can (and do) eat AS MUCH PUDDING AS I WANT!!!!
 
My parents will contribute. They certainly won't pay for all of it. My dad could, but he sees it as me investing more into my education. As morbid as it is, my gma is 97 and lives with my parents, so I'm in line for some cash that way too. If I get into a state school then I'll have very little debt. If I go somewhere with 50k a year then I'll have around 100k of debt or so, which as unfathomable as that is now, is a drop in the bucket compared to many people.
 
Well, my parents will continue to pay for my rent, food, car insurance, bills, ect. But 42 K tuition per year is all mine. Damn.
 
My parents said they would be happy to help pay for part of my med school tuition.

Granted, I am on a full scholarship for college and have a job, so they have paid virtually nothing for my college education.
 
However, I am also disgusted by the notion that I should be embarrassed that my parents are paying for my medical education. It seems to be a common perception that individuals with wealthy parents are by default lazy and have never worked a day in their life (although certainly true in some cases). I have held a steady job (full time in summer, part time during school) since sophomore year of high school. Nothing outstanding I know, but I also know that I that I work more hours and put more effort into school than several friends who complain about having poor parents and having to take out loans.

Okay, I don't think anyone should be embarrassed for anything that isn't 100% immoral. I don't think many people would say you should be embarrassed for having financial resources.

But I am kinda embarrassed, most of my great friends had working class parents, and I knew plenty of rich kids who worked a lot, it was the students with rich parents who used summers for unpaid internships in Washington or New York, who spent a semester working in Nepal for an NGO, to et cetera et cetera while my friends were working food service or dividing time between three jobs, or working in security because that was a job that allowed them to do homework while working 30-40 hrs a week.

Now, I know my friends would never begrudge me any chance to not have to worry about money, and if it makes sense for me I will take some money from my parents cause we've been pretty lucky as of late in some senses. But it definitely feels weird that I'm taking advantage of an option that the people who've been with me all my life don't have.

Its especially weird sense I've been essentially independent for the last 6 years (save for my cell phone bill... and last year my car insurance...but other than that).
 
Some parents who offer to pay for medical school do so even if they don't just have the money saved up - parents will do crazy things for their children, pulling from their retirement funds, personal savings, etc in order to see their children succeed.

I know that if my mother had offered to help me pay for medical school (and she fluctuated on that fact earlier on) I would have told her no. She's 54 years old, she worked her butt off to help me get through undergrad, and I know she did so at the expense of her retirement fund. She deserves to start putting money towards HER future, not mine when I am easily eligible for all the loans I need.

That's perfectly understandable...but you took that quote of of the context of the rest of my post, which included the stipulation that my parents can easily afford the tuition. If the money came at the expense of my parents current and future well-being, then of course I wouldn't take it.
 
Why do some of you think you're "honorable" for paying your way through med school, or it's embarrassing to have parents pay for it?
While I disagree that it's embarrassing to have your parents pay for it, I would say it's more honorable to pay for it on your own. It's an accomplishment, just like it's an accomplishment to get good grades or work hard at your job.

I'm sorry my parents have decided to pay, but that isn't going to make med school or residency any easier, i'll just have more money, (and they can afford it)
That will make it easier. Many people moonlight or have to eat Ramen or drive a crappy car in order to get by through med school or residency. You'll have it easier. I don't hold that against you, but don't think that you don't have perks.
 
So it will be easier for me to study, i'll have easier tests, and boards will be a breeze, along with clinicals and residency hours?

I understand that it may lead to less stress, but i'm sure there will be 100 other things to worry about
The people I know who get money from their parents can live alone (a lot of people have roommate problems), get a nice apartment in a nice neighborhood, drive a newer car that doesn't require expensive repairs, go on vacation over spring break, get nice clothes, etc. Some parents buy a house/condo for their kids and let them live there for free. That's pretty nice too.

Those "other 100 things" you have to worry about? Everyone else has those too - and then some.
 
With my family it's pretty much an unspoken understanding that my parents will provide for me until I can make the big bux, then I am expected to take care of my parents as they have for me (i.e. buy them a vacation home, have them move in with me, hire servants/caretakers for them, send them 20-30% of my monthly income etc.)

Very true.

This was a joke, right?
no it's not. it's just how the way it works.


I'm getting pretty much a free ride from parents. I'm asian though, and I have a feeling a lot of asian families pay for it for their kids.


HAHA, heck yes.

I'm asian too.

In the asian culture, 'rents are obligated to pay for their kids' tuition and have them live in their homes until they have jobs for the return of their kids taking care of them and not dumping them to a nursing home (not that i think putting your parents in a nursing home is bad). (welp, i dont think there's such thing as a nursing home in asia?) Even if your parents don't have high income jobs, they are still going to put you to school and they actually prefer their kids not working while going to school. It's not that they intend the kids to make them lazy, it's just the parents deem that school is a top priority... though I yes some westernized Asian kids still work. 🙂

but whatever, It's an asian thing.
 
Personally, I would try to minimize my debt burden and care more about my future financial situation rather than worry about being "embarassed" about the means in which I do this. (hypothetically speaking)


Exactly.
 
Okay, I don't think anyone should be embarrassed for anything that isn't 100% immoral. I don't think many people would say you should be embarrassed for having financial resources.

But I am kinda embarrassed, most of my great friends had working class parents, and I knew plenty of rich kids who worked a lot, it was the students with rich parents who used summers for unpaid internships in Washington or New York, who spent a semester working in Nepal for an NGO, to et cetera et cetera while my friends were working food service or dividing time between three jobs, or working in security because that was a job that allowed them to do homework while working 30-40 hrs a week.

Now, I know my friends would never begrudge me any chance to not have to worry about money, and if it makes sense for me I will take some money from my parents cause we've been pretty lucky as of late in some senses. But it definitely feels weird that I'm taking advantage of an option that the people who've been with me all my life don't have.

Its especially weird sense I've been essentially independent for the last 6 years (save for my cell phone bill... and last year my car insurance...but other than that).

I hear you. I have rich friends who "worked" bogus jobs that their parents got them, but my jobs have included working as a bag boy, on a grocery freight crew (graveyard shift), and on my grandpa's farm...so again, it's just another false generalization about work ethic. I also have poor friends who have done nothing but play video games and smoke weed, and poor friends who work their ***es off.

I agree that it feels weird, and definitely more so for you due to your past independence, to be in such a fortunate circumstance when most people you know are in a very different situation. Doesn't make it something to be embarrassed or ashamed about IMO. With that said, I certainly avoid telling people about my situation in person because I consider it a private matter and I presume a lot of people would make similar false judgments as many have shown on this thread.
 
Honestly, if my parents offered to pay for my tuition, I would take them up on it in a second.

Throughout my undergraduate experience and in my post-graduate work life, I have seen people from all walks of life, those who have been dealt amazing hands and those who have had to rely on predominantly themselves to get to where they want to be. The difference between the individuals I have met has not been that different, and in most cases I could not distinguish between the two until they told me more about their backgrounds. Some individuals spent most of their teen and college years working low-level jobs that helped them save up for their education and living expenses. These individuals told me many stories about the difficulties they faced and the lessons they learned when struggling to make it on their own. Some individuals were able to rely on family aid to alleviate these burdens, and their stories revolved around traveling, extensive volunteering in all sorts of unconventional ways, and exploring the world around them without the limitations of debt.

At the end of the day, my coworker (and in the case of college, other students), did the same quality of work and had the same sense of accomplishment in their profession/studies, and from what I could tell, they definitely arrived at the same place as far as character and work ethic. What these interactions taught me was that everyone takes a different path to where they want to arrive. In the case of debt, you are usually forced down a much more stringent path that does not allow you to explore possibilities as well as an individual who does not have to be concerned about paying back outrageous sums of money.

I belong to the group who could not rely on familial support and had to make personal sacrifices to get where I am today. I do not regret the path I took, but I do know that if given the opportunity to explore the world and live beyond the constraint of my checkbook, to enjoy life without worrying about my car/healthinsurance/groceries/rent/savings/creditcards/etc, I would not hesitate for a second.

After all, some parents achieve their happiness by traveling themselves or by purchasing their dream home/car/boat. Some parents derive that same happiness by providing for their children a life free from the debt that restricted their own decisions, allowing them to pursue a future that they themselves could not due to financial responsibilities. Either way, it is their money and their right to do what they want with it, though I can say that when i am older, I hope to provide my children with enough financial security so that they can pursue any path they choose.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was raised by a single mom who raised 3 kids on about $20-25K/year. I paid for undergrad myself (meaning I took out 6 years of loans for private school and will be paying for the rest of my life). Now she married a man (When I was 21), who makes about $60K/year, has another kid in college and a new baby. But alas, even though they still can't help me out, and even if they could, my stepdad doesn't believe in paying for kids education, I'll probably be screwed because my parents aren't technically dirt poor anymore.

It sucks, and I'll probably end up taking a high paying specialty even if it's not where my heart is, but I hope not.
 
My parents offerred to pay for everything but I respectfully declined their offer. One thing about my parents is that there is no such thing as free lunch. I don't want them to say in the future "look, we paid for your med school, therefore you have to take care of us.." and all that BS. I would be paying for med school with my own money.. I will be 150K short after med school.. but heck, I'll be debt-free and no parents nagging me in the future.
 
My parents offerred to pay for everything but I respectfully declined their offer. One thing about my parents is that there is no such thing as free lunch. I don't want them to say in the future "look, we paid for your med school, therefore you have to take care of us.." and all that BS. I would be paying for med school with my own money.. I will be 150K short after med school.. but heck, I'll be debt-free and no parents nagging me in the future.

my parents nag me constantly AND they have no financial stake in my life. i can't imagine what it would be like if they did. 😱

they can keep their money. it will pay for a great "home" one day for them.
 
I get some help to pay for anything beyond what Staffords will cover, which basically just comes out to the equivalent of my rent payments each month. It also helps that I live about 10k per year UNDER my school's recommended budget. (not keeping a car in the city goes a long way)

Oregon 39. Michigan 7.
 
...
HAHA, heck yes.

I'm asian too.

In the asian culture, 'rents are obligated to pay for their kids' tuition and have them live in their homes until they have jobs for the return of their kids taking care of them and not dumping them to a nursing home (not that i think putting your parents in a nursing home is bad)...

but whatever, It's an asian thing.


Word
 
Um, my mom is going to continue paying my cell phone bill... I'm not sure if that counts.
👍 haha second this. my parents gave me about $5,000/yr for undergrad (which was $40,000/yr), and they don't intend to pay anything for my med school. They have the money (mother and stepdad, don't know real dad), but they spend it on vacations and such...While i understand that it's their money to do with what they like, i can't say i don't which that one of the things they'd "like" is to help me out educationally. It definitely frustrates me that they CAN afford it but don't want to, but i know i have to accept that because it's not my money. I did start having serious financial trouble in the past two months after i had a car accident that set me back, and my mom took over my cell phone bill. I'm hoping that she forgets to make me start paying it again, or remembers and chooses not to. Every once in a while, she'll do something like that, pay a bill for me and just make sure neither of us tells me step dad. I appreciate that more than words can say, and it always comes at just the right time.
 
With my family it's pretty much an unspoken understanding that my parents will provide for me until I can make the big bux, then I am expected to take care of my parents as they have for me (i.e. buy them a vacation home, have them move in with me, hire servants/caretakers for them, send them 20-30% of my monthly income etc.)

I don't think so my folks expect the same thing. It may just be an asian thing.

Yea, I know for Asian families this concept applies...
 
My parents have the means to offset my first two years of medical school (cheap state school). I get what this thread is about, but:

...setting honor and independance aside, isn't it more financially responsible of me to take their money? I can pay them back later, of course.
 
It depends on what kind of a relationship you have with your parents, what their situation is, etc. I agree with the other people who mentioned the cultural factor. My family is not Asian, but my parents (who moved to the US independently before college) have helped me with undergrad and will probably contribute some money (I'm still taking out major loans... yikes) to med school. If anything did happen to them medically down the line, I would step up because 1) I'm a doctor 2) They were always there for me and they're not the guilt trip type (lucky situation I guess)

I'm still going to rack up debt. But if they want to help some, why stop them? If your parents honestly are proud and able to help you, that's cool. I know I'm scared about how much debt I'll be in. But I guess we're all going to pay it off in the end...
 
If your parents live in Los Angeles or San Diego, and drive a 4 wheel drive SUV, ask yourself why, since it never snows in Los Angeles or San Diego. You get crappy gas mileage and the roads are never icy. So you never put the car into 4X4. So you drive a 4X4 for 100,000 miles and then buy another 4x4 and never put it into the gear the car was designed for. So drive the car to Alaska, spend the winter, and catch and eat a Chinook Salmon, gut it and eat it yourself. And then kill and gut a moose. And eat it.
 
If your parents live in Los Angeles or San Diego, and drive a 4 wheel drive SUV, ask yourself why, since it never snows in Los Angeles or San Diego. You get crappy gas mileage and the roads are never icy. So you never put the car into 4X4. So you drive a 4X4 for 100,000 miles and then buy another 4x4 and never put it into the gear the car was designed for. So drive the car to Alaska, spend the winter, and catch and eat a Chinook Salmon, gut it and eat it yourself. And then kill and gut a moose. And eat it.

😕
 
One of my interviewers actually asked me if I've thought about how I would pay for medical school and if I'd thought about salary and such- I thought it was a simple answer. Duh- I'm going to take out loans. But now my grandma has said she will pay for med school if and when I get in- I'm stoked! I wonder what he would have said had I said- my grandma is going to pay. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My parents have offered to pay in full.

And you know why I'm not in the least bit embarrassed? Because graduating debt-free will allow me to choose whichever specialty I want and then immediately return to sub-Saharan Africa to work after completing residency. If I were to refuse their incredibly generous offer (and yes, I classify it as that even though they have plenty of money to spare) and insist on taking out loans, as some of the OPs have suggested, there's no way I'd be able to take off and work for an NGO after residency, because I'd be up to my ears in debt. So, in sum, I don't feel guilty in the slightest--I consider myself a sort of Robin Hood, taking money from the rich (my parents) and giving it to the poor (in the form of medical care) 😉

But I am extraordinarily grateful for the card I was dealt....
 
My parents have offered to pay in full.

And you know why I'm not in the least bit embarrassed? Because graduating debt-free will allow me to choose whichever specialty I want and then immediately return to sub-Saharan Africa to work after completing residency. If I were to refuse their incredibly generous offer (and yes, I classify it as that even though they have plenty of money to spare) and insist on taking out loans, as some of the OPs have suggested, there's no way I'd be able to take off and work for an NGO after residency, because I'd be up to my ears in debt. So, in sum, I don't feel guilty in the slightest--I consider myself a sort of Robin Hood, taking money from the rich (my parents) and giving it to the poor (in the form of medical care) 😉

But I am extraordinarily grateful for the card I was dealt....


Why would you feel guilty? Why would anyone feel guilty? If your parents want to do that for you......great! Lucky you!! It is your parents' decision. It has nothing to do with whether you deserve it or not. It has nothing to do with you having to be grateful or not. It is all about your parents who want to give YOU a free ride to med school! You do not need to explain. You do not need to feel guilty. You do not even need to be grateful. It is their decision and you should not give a flying **** about what anyone could or would think.
 
I don't care what others think about this, not in the slightest. I was merely adding my voice to the discussion because I was slightly annoyed by the numerous insinuations that all students with wealthy parents are spoiled brats who wouldn't know what a hard days work was if it smacked them in the face.