Anybody's parents paying for med school?

Started by 186321
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Total or in proportion to their share of the population? Asians are what, 4 or 5% of the US population as of the last census? Jews aren't more than 2.5% of the population.

That's no med school stats, at least, not what I've seen
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I've seen studies about the religiosity of physicians that say roughly 13% of practicing physicians are Jewish. What % are Asian?
Addendum: According to AAMC data, about 20% of the people entering med school are Asian, but that number can't be directly compared to the # above, which iirc is from a survey of physicians currently practicing.

Demographics are certainly different in the two populations, once you consider that medical school makeup was rather different in the 70s/80s, and that foreign graduates have to be accounted for. Basically, I have no idea how the two populations compare.
 
you can throw me in with the rest of the screwed middle class. Me & my parents will both be paying for my medical education (although my parents swear they will be paying for it)

My family makes too much to qualify for any need-based grants (I think around $120,000/yr) but makes way too little to be able to pay for undergrad or med school upfront. So I have accepted my fate of loans that I will be paying for the rest of my life. My parents promised to pay for my undergrad loans. Their strategy was to buy a beach house in Florida with my college money and let the money grow over time. Once I graduated, they were going to sell the house and pay off my undergrad loans... I graduated in May right before the housing market bottomed out in Florida... but once the market goes back up they will get rid of those loans (hopefully) but in the meantime I'm sending my first check this month 🙁

UgH I wish some schools would give me some aid! I hate being middle class!
 
you can throw me in with the rest of the screwed middle class. Me & my parents will both be paying for my medical education (although my parents swear they will be paying for it)

My family makes too much to qualify for any need-based grants (I think around $120,000/yr) but makes way too little to be able to pay for undergrad or med school upfront. So I have accepted my fate of loans that I will be paying for the rest of my life. My parents promised to pay for my undergrad loans. Their strategy was to buy a beach house in Florida with my college money and let the money grow over time. Once I graduated, they were going to sell the house and pay off my undergrad loans... I graduated in May right before the housing market bottomed out in Florida... but once the market goes back up they will get rid of those loans (hopefully) but in the meantime I'm sending my first check this month 🙁

UgH I wish some schools would give me some aid! I hate being middle class!

As a middle-classer as well, I understand your frustrations of being ineligible for most need-based scholarships and the idea of being in debt for the better part of your life. But please please keep your perspective...most aren't lucky enough to call themselves middle-class. Considering the bigger picture, you're very fortunate to be in the predicament that you're in.
 
As a middle-classer as well, I understand your frustrations of being ineligible for most need-based scholarships and the idea of being in debt for the better part of your life. But please please keep your perspective...most aren't lucky enough to call themselves middle-class. Considering the bigger picture, you're very fortunate to be in the predicament that you're in.
you are 100% right. sorry i was just venting but I'm more than grateful to be where I am. I know too many people that have missed so many opportunities because they don't have AnY support.
 
My parents have paid for undergrad (160K+) and will be paying for med school so I am fortunate enough to be 100% debt-free...they make great money, but we're not millions deep or anything so it's still a substantial fraction of their income

However, I am Asian and as people mentioned, it's a cultural thing. I will take care of them as soon as I am able to and they will work not a day longer...it's a privilege for me to do so, I love my parents =)
 
I am NOT Asian so my parents are letting me pay for medical school and they will be paying all their retirement... they have a lot saved and are inheriting some very valuable stuff from relatives so they will be set- they have said they will pray (we are very religious) about when/if they should help me... and they will continue to pay for family vacations and stuff like that.

Oh and they are paying some stuff that isn't tuition- health insurance, car insurance, cell phone bills, etc which helps a lot!
 
Undergrad was mostly paid for by my parents, but I started using loans and will continue taking loans out into medical school. I will be expecting some inheritances in the near future that may alleviate my situation. I hate to put it that way, but it reminds of Death of a Salesman when Willy Loman feels as though he's worth more dead than alive 🙁
 
My parents paid for all of undergrad (it was understood from a young age that they would pay for both me and my brother) and so long as I get into a state med. school (I am crossing my fingers) I will have paid 0 dollars for my schooling. If I have to go to a private school, or a state-school outside my state, I will have to pay back a portion of tuition to my parents, but thankfully I wont have to take out any loans. I am actually very appreciative and grateful to be in a position like this because I understand so many people come out of med school with >$100,000 debt. It is nice to have it all paid for, however, if it wasn't, I wouldn't change anything, I would just have to take loans out myself.
 
If my parents were willing to pay my full tuition, I would be glad to take it. However, I'm grateful they are covering all living expenses for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If my parents were willing to pay my full tuition, I would be glad to take it. However, I'm grateful they are covering all living expenses for me.

necro29844976_lrg.jpg