Anyone Applying to Oklahoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miko22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to OU, and I was wondering if anyone else is??? :p

Members don't see this ad.

miko22 said:

I am as well.

miko22 said:
I am bro...i was born in the big OK state...now a resident of Iowa...

Members don't see this ad :)
count me in...I've done the secondary and paid the app fee, but haven't heard anything. It's been a little over 2 weeks.

Hey!

I'm applying to OU as well - it's my first choice. I work on campus doing medical research, so I've been in and out of the admissions office a bit. I'll share the info I've been told.

The admissions lady's name is Judy (her number is 405-271-3530) and she's very polite. They start interviews in October, and they rank you on a point system to determine the order of interviewies (is that a word??). You get points based on your overall GPA and DAT scores. You can get 5 points for each one, so 10 points is the most you can get. I don't know the cut-offs for the numbers, but I think a DAT of 17 or 18 overall gets you 5 points, then less points for lower numbers, etc. Also, all oklahoma residents that apply get an interview. The have 3 selection meetings, and 1/3 of the class is selected at each meeting. The first meeting is in the first of December, and 20 are selected. The next meeting is in the end of Dec/first of Jan, and 20 more are selected. The final meeting is usually at the end of Jan, and the last 20 are selected. I heard that they are taking more out of state applicants this year - 10 (up from 7 or so), and those are usually selected in the first meeting. I guess that means if we interview by the end of November we could be considered in the first selection meeting? I'm not sure. Most of this info I got from talking with either the dean of students (Dr. Miller) and the president of the 2nd year class (had a tour with him, but forgot his name).

Hopefully we'll all get calls soon for interviews. Good luck, everybody! Let's try and keep this thread updated when people get interviews, how they went, etc.

-Brian

That's great info. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

jdcinza13 said:
That's great info. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

No problem.

Jdcinza13, I notice that you are from Mesa. Are you applying to Arizona, too? I'm applying there - I kind of consider them my 2nd choice, mostly due to geographic reasons. I've just got to fill out that secondary app from them. Now that my OU app is all done, it's hard for me to get myself to finish up all the other ones.

Hey Brian, I clicked your link and I was listening to your songs. They are really nice and relaxing. I really like, "The Way it Has to be"

Dentist 2 be said:
Hey Brian, I clicked your link and I was listening to your songs. They are really nice and relaxing. I really like, "The Way it Has to be"

Wow, thanks a lot. Maybe if I don't make it in to dental school I can pursue a career as a rock and roll superstar (except I don't really play rock music, hmmmm).

But really, I appreciate the compliment.

wahlbj said:
Wow, thanks a lot. Maybe if I don't make it in to dental school I can pursue a career as a rock and roll superstar (except I don't really play rock music, hmmmm).

But really, I appreciate the compliment.

I too just listened to your music. You remind me of Lifehouse (when they play accosutic songs). What made you choose dentistry over music?

favabean said:
I too just listened to your music. You remind me of Lifehouse (when they play accosutic songs). What made you choose dentistry over music?

Again, thank you very much for the compliment.

I'm flattered you ask why I chose dentistry over music, as if music would be a career choice for me, haha. Actually, I've always wanted to be involved in health care, and I think dentistry is the perfect fit for me. I never thought my music stuff was all that good, anyway (at least not good enough to make a living at it). Maybe I'm wrong, but if I do become a dentist, hopefully I can make enough money to support my music/recording hobby (that crap is freakin' expensive).

Thanks again for listening.

wahlbj said:
No problem.

Jdcinza13, I notice that you are from Mesa. Are you applying to Arizona, too? I'm applying there - I kind of consider them my 2nd choice, mostly due to geographic reasons. I've just got to fill out that secondary app from them. Now that my OU app is all done, it's hard for me to get myself to finish up all the other ones.

Yes, I am applying to Arizona. I'm done with most of my apps but I need to send in my app fees and pic to some schools to be complete.

jdcinza13 said:
count me in...I've done the secondary and paid the app fee, but haven't heard anything. It's been a little over 2 weeks.

Hey I was wondering what you mean by a secondary. Would you mind explaining that? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
miko22 said:
Hey I was wondering what you mean by a secondary. Would you mind explaining that? Thanks!!

Hey Miko22, did you ever find this link?
http://www.dcsb.org/admissions/

It's the admissions info form the OU dental school site. If you are in-state you don't have to apply through AADSAS, but if you are out of state, you do. There is a form (pdf I believe) on the page that I think is what was called the secondary. I think their process is pretty clear from the info on that page. If you need more info just let me know, but I am in state, so I didn't apply to OU via AADSAS.

wahlbj said:
Hey Miko22, did you ever find this link?
http://www.dcsb.org/admissions/

It's the admissions info form the OU dental school site. If you are in-state you don't have to apply through AADSAS, but if you are out of state, you do. There is a form (pdf I believe) on the page that I think is what was called the secondary. I think their process is pretty clear from the info on that page. If you need more info just let me know, but I am in state, so I didn't apply to OU via AADSAS.

Ok, gotcha. I wasn't sure what you were considering a secondary.

We should all try to keep each other informed of what's going on. Let me know when you guys get an interview!

Hey guys i got an interview invite today...How about yall? Let me know!!

miko22 said:
Hey guys i got an interview invite today...How about yall? Let me know!!

Hey that's great news. You must be one of the first, since they don't start interviewing till October. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I think they go on stats to give order to interviews.

fleisch said:
Hey you all!,
Just saw this thread and thought I'd add a little to it....OU is my top choice...right now Im a Senior at the Univ of Arizona. I was born and bred in Oklahoma (Tulsa), and much to my dad's dismay I opted to go out of state for undergrad....
I can't wait to start hearing back from the school...Both my aunt and uncle graduated from OU's Dental School in the 80s...they absoultely love the place....and it will be nice to go back "home."

I applied very early in the summer, and have not heard anything yet...I am an in-stater....so maybe I won't hear till later....I have a 4.00 GPA, and a 20/20 DAT score....Dr. David Boren wrote my letter of rec (he's the president of the university)....so I'm hoping I will be okay!:)

Keep us all posted if any of you hear anything back...I am interested to know, and maybe we will be future classmates someday!:) :) :)

Wow, I think they have 59 spots left, cause you are a freakin shoe-in. I offer an early congradulations on your acceptance.

fleisch said:
Hey you all!,
Just saw this thread and thought I'd add a little to it....OU is my top choice...right now Im a Senior at the Univ of Arizona. I was born and bred in Oklahoma (Tulsa), and much to my dad's dismay I opted to go out of state for undergrad....
I can't wait to start hearing back from the school...Both my aunt and uncle graduated from OU's Dental School in the 80s...they absoultely love the place....and it will be nice to go back "home."

I applied very early in the summer, and have not heard anything yet...I am an in-stater....so maybe I won't hear till later....I have a 4.00 GPA, and a 20/20 DAT score....Dr. David Boren wrote my letter of rec (he's the president of the university)....so I'm hoping I will be okay!:)

Keep us all posted if any of you hear anything back...I am interested to know, and maybe we will be future classmates someday!:) :) :)

Yeah, I agree with you Brian, she is definitely going to get in! Hopefully there aren't too many others with the GPA/DAT like yours...give the rest of us normal people a chance!!! :cool:

Hey Fleisch, I was just wondering how you know David Boren. Is he a family friend? I was just curious. Also, did you submit it as an extra letter of recommendation? I thought you could only have 2 science instructors and one from a dentist. (I am probably wrong!) :)

Hey everyone, where are you all from? I think we should all get to know a little bit about each other so we can help each other out in this process.
After all, if we don't get in this year we can use it as a learning exerience for next year.

A lil about me: I am a senior at Southeastern Oklahoma State Univ. in Durant, OK. I went to Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, OK. I have a pretty good GPA but a sub-par DAT score (so bad I won't even list it!). I'd love to hear from all of you either on the forum or by PM. Good Luck!

Hey where did all the Oklahoma applicants go? I'd like to hear about everyone!

Hey

I got a letter in the mail today requesting that I call and schedule an interview. Wish me luck!

wahlbj said:
Hey

I got a letter in the mail today requesting that I call and schedule an interview. Wish me luck!

That's great news, Brian.

Any other OU applicants hear anything yet?

Brian-
Are you an OK resident?
Just wondering, cause I am, and I have not heard anything yet. In fact, I talked to an Admissions lady today, and they said they are currently beginning to review Non Resident applications, and then will move to Resident applications not until December.... (??)

Hopefully she isnt lying to me!

Miko22---My dad and David Boren are good friends. :) Hey, come on, its all about "WHAT you know and WHO you know!".....hahahahahah. :)

Keep us all updated...cause I am anxious to be a Sooner! (That is, if I dont get to be a Bruin first!:)) Heehee....

miko22 said:
That's great news, Brian.

Any other OU applicants hear anything yet?

Fleisch,

I am an Oklahoma resident. I grew up in OK, but went to undergrad in Kansas. I moved back to Oklahoma a little over a year ago to take a job in research. If you grew up in OK, you should be considered an in-state applicant, even if you go to school in AZ.

Do you remember who you talked to? I've spoken with Judy and Debbie as well as a few other people in the admissions office, and I've never heard anything about processing in-state apps in December. I think they process them as they come in, and interviews start the first week of October, which is just starting. They won't give an interview if everything is not complete in the file, like the application, DAT scores, letters of rec, statements and essays, and transcripts. If I were you I'd call them (but it seems you have been) and just make sure they have all of your application complete. I know that Judy (who I think handles most of the applications) was ill or something for the first couple months after they started taking applications (like in June/July), so when I called a month or two ago to see what I needed to complete she didn't have the first half of my app that I sent in June, but she found it quickly and updated it immediately. I think they had somebody higher up in the office handling all the applications while she was gone.

I hope this helps. Make sure you tell them you're an OK resident (which I'm sure you have). As long as you interview by November 11th, you'll be considered in their first acceptance meeting, which is Nov. 18th-ish.

Well, I just called and scheduled my interview. It's Tuesday, Oct. 12th. They sure don't waste much time. I just got the letter in the mail requesting I schedule one yesterday.

wahlbj said:
Well, I just called and scheduled my interview. It's Tuesday, Oct. 12th. They sure don't waste much time. I just got the letter in the mail requesting I schedule one yesterday.

Hey Brian,
I'm glad you're going before me so I can know what to expect! :) Silly me, I forgot to ask where to go for the interview. Do we go to the dean's office? Do you know how long the interview will lastor how many people are doing it? Keep me updated!

When I went for my tour I was told that the first people that they would interview would be those with a good DAT and good GPA and science GPA (on the scale of 10). I was told those with 10s and 9s would interview first. But...I am definitely not a 10 or a 9.... So what do you think that means? Everything but my DAT is really good, including extracurricular activities and shadowing, and job experience. Any ideas????

Miko22---My dad and David Boren are good friends. :) Hey, come on, its all about "WHAT you know and WHO you know!".....hahahahahah. :)

Lucky girl!!!! :D

miko22 said:
Hey Brian,
I'm glad you're going before me so I can know what to expect! :) Silly me, I forgot to ask where to go for the interview. Do we go to the dean's office? Do you know how long the interview will lastor how many people are doing it? Keep me updated!

When I went for my tour I was told that the first people that they would interview would be those with a good DAT and good GPA and science GPA (on the scale of 10). I was told those with 10s and 9s would interview first. But...I am definitely not a 10 or a 9.... So what do you think that means? Everything but my DAT is really good, including extracurricular activities and shadowing, and job experience. Any ideas????

I heard that 10 point thing, too. My GPA and Science GPA is definately not up there, so I can't imagine my point total is 10 or 9. I would say more like 7 or 8. It must mean we just applied really early compared to other applicants. I submitted everything in June - I was just waiting on DAT scores to be completed, and I handed the admissions office a copy of my scores about a month ago, so my file has been complete for a while. Being early is always a good thing, though.

I'm not sure where to go, probably the admissions office. I'll email Judy in the admissions office and find out - but I'm guessing it's just the admissions office.

Hey...
I submitted the first of September. Do you know how many interviews they are giving this first round? (Won't they take 20 this round?).
Let me know what you find out, thanks!

Hey there guys,
Okay, after reading both of your interview invite stories...i am starting to sweat it. (regarding this whole ranking scale thing...) I am thinking I would be pretty high up there....eeeeek! I hope they dont forget about me! I keep searching through the mail like a mad woman.....
:( Let me know how both of your interviews go...
:thumbup:

Fleisch, I wouldn't start sweating yet. As long as you interview before Nov. 11th, you're considered in the first meeting, and there are 2 more after that. I would think with your stats they'd accept you after the last meeting, haha. I'm sure you will get your interview soon. Are you positive they have all of your application complete as well as your money?

About the interview, I emailed Judy in the admissions office about where the interview is, but she hasn't emailed me back. I've emailed her before and didn't get a response, so I'm thinking she's more of a phone person than an email person. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow afternoon I'll call her.

I also have a friend who I worked with in the lab who is the president of the 3rd year class at OU dental school. She worked in the lab during the summer. She was kind of the one who introduced me to the idea of dentistry as a profession. I emailed her about the interview, and she had a few pointers which I'll share.

She said the interviews are really laid back, and they really just want to get to know you and see if you can communicate with people. She said to know your application inside and out (like your personal statement, essays, volunteer/shadowing experience, etc.) She said they will ask you questions about it just to make sure you wrote and actually did everything, as well as to get more of how you think those experiences shaped you as a person and why they turned you on to dentistry. She said expect the normal "Why dentistry" and "Why OU" questions. She said if you have a low GPA/DAT score they'll ask you why. They'll want to know what hobbies you have, and what kind of manual dexterity type of things you do, like playing instruments, painting, etc. Most importantly she said just to be yourself and don't sound rehearsed. Just be honest and humble. She also said they asked her how many teeth are in the human mouth (20 in the primary dentition and 32 in the permanent dentition - that was her answer).

I thought it was some good advice.

fleisch said:
Hey there guys,
Okay, after reading both of your interview invite stories...i am starting to sweat it. (regarding this whole ranking scale thing...) I am thinking I would be pretty high up there....eeeeek!
:

Also, if your GPA is 4.0 like you said, and your DAT is above an 18, which you said yours was - you'd have a 10 on the point scale, which is perfect. I'm sure your letter is on the way.

wahlbj said:
Also, if your GPA is 4.0 like you said, and your DAT is above an 18, which you said yours was - you'd have a 10 on the point scale, which is perfect. I'm sure your letter is on the way.

Thanks for the all awesome advice/tips Brian...Let us know how your interview goes...:) I am waiting by my mailbox as we speak...hahaha :laugh: ...maybe we will all three be in the same class next year? Ha, that would be so cool!:) I went to Bishop Kelley HS in Tulsa...where did you say you grew up? Kansas or OK? ..... Good luck with everything, and thanks for writing me back!

Hey, here's some tips I've received from a current dental student:
* the might possibly as some questions about politics (bad news for me, cause I don't know much!)

*of course, be ready to answer why you want to be a dentist

*like Brian said, know your application

*be able to tell why you are good with your hands

*3 words that describe you best

*tell about the activities you are involved in and classes you are taking this semester and next.

*why should they represent you over someone else?

Those are just a few things I've been told. Hope they help! :)

wahlbj said:

I met with Dr. Coy and got this year's system of ranking students. So actually you would have 5 points for your gpa, including your science and overall gpa. You would have 3 points for your DAT score, giving you an 8 for your academic score out of 10 possible points on the academic side.

There are also 5 other areas that are non-academic that they score you on as well, with a possible 20 points. They then divide that by 2 to get a total possible 10 points for the non-academic side.

If you have any questions let me know. I am a multiple year applicant to OU and have interviewed there in the past. I know a few people on the board and many dental students there.

Hey DDSdude!
Where are you from? Do you know when your interview is yet? If you have any interview advice I would really appreciate it. I'm both looking forward to and dreading next Thursday...

Well, finally found out where to go for my interview (which is tomorrow - Tuesday)

5th floor, Room 510. I suspected that's where it was. Anyway, I'll let you all know how it went tomorrow afternoon. My interview is at 11:15.

When you get off the elevator on the fifth floor you hang a right and it is the first office there on your right. You walk through the door and the desk to your left is where you check in. When you first walk through the doors there are double doors just in front of you. That is where the interview takes place, in a conference room, at a long table. Judy will check you in, or Sally, and explain to you the point system. They will take your picture and go over your application to make sure it is correct. They will also let you know who you are interviewing with and if they are practicing dentists or faculty.

Good Luck!!

DDSdude said:
When you get off the elevator on the fifth floor you hang a right and it is the first office there on your right. You walk through the door and the desk to your left is where you check in. When you first walk through the doors there are double doors just in front of you. That is where the interview takes place, in a conference room, at a long table. Judy will check you in, or Sally, and explain to you the point system. They will take your picture and go over your application to make sure it is correct. They will also let you know who you are interviewing with and if they are practicing dentists or faculty.

Good Luck!!

Hey DDSdude,
Is that room 510 you are talking about? Or a different room? How long are most interviews? So you sit across the table from the interviewers?
As you can tell I'm getting really nervous.... :oops:

Good Luck Brian! :)

miko22 said:
Hey DDSdude,
Is that room 510 you are talking about? Or a different room? How long are most interviews? So you sit across the table from the interviewers?
As you can tell I'm getting really nervous.... :oops:

Good Luck Brian! :)

Don't be nervous! It is pretty relaxed. It lasts anywhere from 30 min to an hour depending on who you interview with and the things that are brought up. You interview with two people. They are either full-time practicing dentists or faculty. You do sit across the table from them, or at least that is how it was last year.

Yes 510 is the room I am talking about. It will go great. Just be yourself and everything will be fine. Call and ask who you will be interviewing with, let me know who they are. They will let you know who you are interviewing with if you ask them. If I know them or of them I will fill you in on anything I know. Good Luck!!!

wahlbj said:
Hey!

I'm applying to OU as well - it's my first choice. I work on campus doing medical research, so I've been in and out of the admissions office a bit. I'll share the info I've been told.

The admissions lady's name is Judy (her number is 405-271-3530) and she's very polite. They start interviews in October, and they rank you on a point system to determine the order of interviewies (is that a word??). You get points based on your overall GPA and DAT scores. You can get 5 points for each one, so 10 points is the most you can get. I don't know the cut-offs for the numbers, but I think a DAT of 17 or 18 overall gets you 5 points, then less points for lower numbers, etc. Also, all oklahoma residents that apply get an interview. The have 3 selection meetings, and 1/3 of the class is selected at each meeting. The first meeting is in the first of December, and 20 are selected. The next meeting is in the end of Dec/first of Jan, and 20 more are selected. The final meeting is usually at the end of Jan, and the last 20 are selected. I heard that they are taking more out of state applicants this year - 10 (up from 7 or so), and those are usually selected in the first meeting. I guess that means if we interview by the end of November we could be considered in the first selection meeting? I'm not sure. Most of this info I got from talking with either the dean of students (Dr. Miller) and the president of the 2nd year class (had a tour with him, but forgot his name).

Hopefully we'll all get calls soon for interviews. Good luck, everybody! Let's try and keep this thread updated when people get interviews, how they went, etc.

-Brian

Don't mean to be rude, but the first admissions meeting is in the middle part of November, either the 14th or 17th, I can't remember. The letters are sent out the first of December.

DDSdude said:
Don't be nervous! It is pretty relaxed. It lasts anywhere from 30 min to an hour depending on who you interview with and the things that are brought up. You interview with two people. They are either full-time practicing dentists or faculty. You do sit across the table from them, or at least that is how it was last year.

Yes 510 is the room I am talking about. It will go great. Just be yourself and everything will be fine. Call and ask who you will be interviewing with, let me know who they are. They will let you know who you are interviewing with if you ask them. If I know them or of them I will fill you in on anything I know. Good Luck!!!

I'll call tomorrow and ask who is giving the interview. It's hard for me not to be nervous...
Do you know when your interview is yet? Thanks for the help and advice.

DDSdude said:
Don't mean to be rude, but the first admissions meeting is in the middle part of November, either the 14th or 17th, I can't remember. The letters are sent out the first of December.

Hey, no offense taken, DDSdude. I hadn't seen the calender on the web site before I posted that - just went on what I remembered people telling me. Thanks for the info regarding the interview. I go in exactly 12 hours, so I'd better go to bed.

Good luck!! You will do great. You will be pleasantly surprised about the feeling you have in the interview. They make you feel comfortable and are very down to earth. Let me know who you interview with.

DDSDude,
You're the man!!!! I guess you are guaranteed at OU this year....What are you, the ADCOM's favorite???? You know everything.!!!!!!

Jdcinza13

jdcinza13 said:
DDSDude,
You're the man!!!! I guess you are guaranteed at OU this year....What are you, the ADCOM's favorite???? You know everything.!!!!!!

Jdcinza13

Well Jdcinza13, I appreciate your comments. You sound like a very humble person full of encouragement. I am really just a mere flawed mortal trying to help others become all they can become...... :D

Hey Guys!
Got my interview invite in the mail today...I think I am going to schedule my interview for the 6th of November...that way I will definitely be within the first selections meeting..:) Let us all know about your interviews...I am sure you will be great!:)
:thumbup:

Fleisch,
When did you complete their secondary application online?

Sometime in July....