Anyone Applying to Oklahoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DDSdude said:
I had my interview last Friday and there were about 10 of us in the luncheon. So, no you won't be the only one in there. It is a great time to ask anything you want and get some additional face time with those on the committee. I would just wear the same thing. But then again I am not a fashion expert my any stretch of the imagination. :confused:

And YES, The Sooners ROCK!! :laugh:

Hey DDSDude,
I didnt' know you already had your interview! Would you mind giving us some details? Who were your interviewers? What kind of feedback did you get? For some reason I thought you were going to wait until you retook the DAT (did you already retake it?) Bye!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you all!
Just had my interview yesterday afternoon, and it was AWESOME...it was so relaxed and chill...the two gentlemen that interviewed me were last names Braggs and Morrisey...they were two of the nicest guys ever...throwing in jokes here and there, and just really getting to know me...they did ask a few "situational" questions regarding some ethical decisions, but anyone with half a brain (and half a conscience) would be able to answer them just fine...
All in all it was SUCH a positive experience. They should you what your pre-interview score is at (your academic score out of a possible 10 points)--it is based solely on your GPA, you Sci GPA, and your AA on the DAT. So you know where you stand as far as the numbers go, and then they just jump right into the interview. It is so relaxed and remember: you are in OKLAHOMA, so people are FRIENDLY, CORDIAL, POLITE, and EASY TO TALK TO....If you can be the same (which hopefully you are if you wanna become a dentist), then you will have no problem having a great interview. Also, two seniors took me on a tour of the building afterwards...you all will be OBSESSED with the new labs...they are so awesome (supposedly ranked number one in the country right now).. :thumbup: Don't stress and good luck to you all!....:) :luck:

Thanks for the feedback Fliesch. My interview is today, so wish me luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
fleisch said:
Hey you all!
Just had my interview yesterday afternoon, and it was AWESOME...it was so relaxed and chill...the two gentlemen that interviewed me were last names Braggs and Morrisey...they were two of the nicest guys ever...throwing in jokes here and there, and just really getting to know me...they did ask a few "situational" questions regarding some ethical decisions, but anyone with half a brain (and half a conscience) would be able to answer them just fine...
All in all it was SUCH a positive experience. They should you what your pre-interview score is at (your academic score out of a possible 10 points)--it is based solely on your GPA, you Sci GPA, and your AA on the DAT. So you know where you stand as far as the numbers go, and then they just jump right into the interview. It is so relaxed and remember: you are in OKLAHOMA, so people are FRIENDLY, CORDIAL, POLITE, and EASY TO TALK TO....If you can be the same (which hopefully you are if you wanna become a dentist), then you will have no problem having a great interview. Also, two seniors took me on a tour of the building afterwards...you all will be OBSESSED with the new labs...they are so awesome (supposedly ranked number one in the country right now).. :thumbup: Don't stress and good luck to you all!....:) :luck:

The new lab is very sweet. Did Mike Wallace and Aaron Bulleigh give you a tour? Sounds like things went great. You will be hard pressed to find a better interview experiene than that found at OU.

DDSdude said:
The new lab is very sweet. Did Mike Wallace and Aaron Bulleigh give you a tour? Sounds like things went great. You will be hard pressed to find a better interview experiene than that found at OU.

Yes, those were the two that gave me the tour. It was such a great experience. I am pretty dead-set on being there next year. :) The interviewers pretty much said that they would be disappointed not to see me there next year. So I guess that is a good thing!!.... :thumbup:

fleisch said:
Yes, those were the two that gave me the tour. It was such a great experience. I am pretty dead-set on being there next year. :) The interviewers pretty much said that they would be disappointed not to see me there next year. So I guess that is a good thing!!.... :thumbup:

Sounds very positive for you. Mike and Aaron are great guys. Top of their class and have been all four years. You couldn't have found two better students to give you a tour and talk about the school with.

Are you a non-res or res of OK?

DDSdude said:
Sounds very positive for you. Mike and Aaron are great guys. Top of their class and have been all four years. You couldn't have found two better students to give you a tour and talk about the school with.

Are you a non-res or res of OK?

Resident of OK--born and raised in Tulsa--undergrad at U of Arizona right now....

Hey you all--
I know this is preemptive and probably not likely to happen, but I was thinking...if I am accepted to OU during the first selections meeting (Nov 19th) and receive my letter around Dec 1st, I have 30 days to secure my spot at OU (500 dollar nonrefundable deposit)---BUT, I am still waiting to receive interviews (fingers crossed) to some other schools such as UCLA (which would be my ultimate dream to go to)---but if I get into OU, I am obviously going to secure my spot, so do I just pay the 500 bucks to save my seat and still wait to hear back from the other schools that I applied to? Is that what other people do? It sucks that they make you pay so much to keep your seat but I guess it makes sense from their end....
And again-I know it is early to tell about this sort of thing, but I am just playing around with scenarios in my head...any advice would be awesome! :thumbup: :rolleyes:

Pay the money...take advantage of it. At least you will be guaranteed a spot in school, then if you get an acceptance to UCLA you're set. Worst case scenario, you might lose $500, but just imagine if you didn't put the money down and didn't get accepted anywhere else......

Hello all,

I've taken quite a break from the boards lately. Glad to see the OU thread is still kinda going.

The first meeting is coming up. I'm nervous to say the least. I spoke with Dr. Coy the other day about my application. He basically told me I've got an 80% chance of getting in, but he also made it sound like I shouldn't bank on the first meeting. I find that a bit hard to believe, given my stats (getting in at all, that is).

My overall GPA is a 3.03, and science gpa is a 2.5, but everyhthing else on my app is pretty strong. I've got about 100 hours of shadowing, and I'm enrolled in some classes to help boost my gpa (or at least give it a positive trend).

My DAT is 20/21, which combined with my crappy GPA makes me a wierd candidate. Guess I can hope for the best.

What are everybody's stats? Just curious.

Brian

For those that are non-residents, apparently they are sending out some more interview invites next week. There might be some hope still for some of us out there. It has been 2 months since I sent in my secondary and so far I've heard nothing, even though i've followed up a couple times.

jdcinza13 said:
For those that are non-residents, apparently they are sending out some more interview invites next week. There might be some hope still for some of us out there. It has been 2 months since I sent in my secondary and so far I've heard nothing, even though i've followed up a couple times.

You will get one! :cool:

wahlbj said:
Hello all,

I've taken quite a break from the boards lately. Glad to see the OU thread is still kinda going.

The first meeting is coming up. I'm nervous to say the least. I spoke with Dr. Coy the other day about my application. He basically told me I've got an 80% chance of getting in, but he also made it sound like I shouldn't bank on the first meeting. I find that a bit hard to believe, given my stats (getting in at all, that is).

My overall GPA is a 3.03, and science gpa is a 2.5, but everyhthing else on my app is pretty strong. I've got about 100 hours of shadowing, and I'm enrolled in some classes to help boost my gpa (or at least give it a positive trend).

My DAT is 20/21, which combined with my crappy GPA makes me a wierd candidate. Guess I can hope for the best.

What are everybody's stats? Just curious.

Brian

From what I understand coming from Dr. Coy, he likes a high DAT score as he sees it as a better assessment than GPA because there are so many variables with GPA (major, university attended, etc.). This is what I have heard from people who have asked him. :confused: As far as my stats, I have a CPGA of 3.6 and science GPA of 4.0 from OU. I majored in Civil Engineering and have been working as such for 3 years. I got a 17/17/16 on the DAT. I wasn't able to study for it as I have been taking prerequisites along with working fulltime. So, if I dont get in my DAT will be the first thing I try to improve upon.

Good luck to you!

Ryan

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all!~
Regarding the emphasis on DAT score, I really do not feel like OU places a higher emphasis on one or the other (DAT vs GPA)...you receive an academic score based on a total of 10 points...5 points are for your DAT score, and 2 points for your total GPA, and 3 points for your Science GPA...based on each of your scores in these categories, you can obtain a maximum of 10...you will be shown that score at the beginning of your interview. So I truly do not feel like DAT or GPA really weighs more..:)

Also-I truly think that at OU, they are looking for A) Someone who is interested in becoming an expert clinician as well as B) Someone who wants to be at OU more than anything else. OU has alot of pride in its school, and they are looking for students who do as well.

Good luck to all of you. I am hoping to hear back after this first selections meeting. I am on OK resident, with a 3.98 GPA and a 22 DAT...I have two family members that graduated from OU Dental...and I am absolutely in love with the place. Hope to see each of you in the class of 2009 there next year!:) :thumbup: :luck: :D

fleisch said:
Good luck to all of you. I am hoping to hear back after this first selections meeting. I am on OK resident, with a 4.0 GPA and a 20/20 AA/PAT...I have two family members that graduated from OU Dental...and I am absolutely in love with the place. Hope to see each of you in the class of 2009 there next year!:) :thumbup: :luck: :D

. . . .sounds like a shoe-in to me. I'm sure you'll hear some good news soon.

Best of luck to everybody!

fleisch said:
Hello all!~
Regarding the emphasis on DAT score, I really do not feel like OU places a higher emphasis on one or the other (DAT vs GPA)...you receive an academic score based on a total of 10 points...5 points are for your DAT score, and 2 points for your total GPA, and 3 points for your Science GPA...based on each of your scores in these categories, you can obtain a maximum of 10...you will be shown that score at the beginning of your interview. So I truly do not feel like DAT or GPA really weighs more..:)

Also-I truly think that at OU, they are looking for A) Someone who is interested in becoming an expert clinician as well as B) Someone who wants to be at OU more than anything else. OU has alot of pride in its school, and they are looking for students who do as well.

Good luck to all of you. I am hoping to hear back after this first selections meeting. I am on OK resident, with a 4.0 GPA and a 20/20 AA/PAT...I have two family members that graduated from OU Dental...and I am absolutely in love with the place. Hope to see each of you in the class of 2009 there next year!:) :thumbup: :luck: :D

Shoe In!! Congratulations on your hard work! That is great!

In regards to the DAT. The DAT is worth 50% of the overall academic score. Therefore it holds the most weight academically. It seems to be the common thread to compare applicants against. As mentioned before and also by Dr. Coy, schools have such a fluctuation in difficulty that it is near impossible to make GPA the determining factor, thus the DAT holds the most weight academically. Don't get me wrong though, your GPA is very important as well, but the DAT can make or break you the most.

I am sure we will all get into OU and study hard together, or at least I hope so.... :laugh:

Well today is the day...in fact I think the fate of some of us is currently being determined. Does anyone feel funny? :D If so, they are probably talking about you....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

DDSdude said:
Well today is the day...in fact I think the fate of some of us is currently being determined. Does anyone feel funny? :D If so, they are probably talking about you....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Been thinking about that all day. I guess the plus is that there are 2 more days if we don't make it today. . . .and that funny feeling is definately going on for me.

I don't suppose there's any way we can find out what happened for us before Dec. 1, is there? Like can we call Judy and see if she can tell us anything?

wahlbj said:
Been thinking about that all day. I guess the plus is that there are 2 more days if we don't make it today. . . .and that funny feeling is definately going on for me.

I don't suppose there's any way we can find out what happened for us before Dec. 1, is there? Like can we call Judy and see if she can tell us anything?

Never hurts to ask. The worst thing they can say is no. Thus, the answer to your question is.....No. They will not say anything until December 1st. You can always call Wed Dec 1st. So enjoy Thanksgiving thinking about it all day long..... :laugh:

The worst part is knowing that they have already decided for this round of meetings and the answers are there... :smuggrin: Devils advocate here!

I am sure there will good news for many in 12.15 days.

wahlbj said:

Hey I think you should be the brave one out of all of us to call and see what they say. Maybe Judy will give you a hint! :cool:

miko22 said:
Hey I think you should be the brave one out of all of us to call and see what they say. Maybe Judy will give you a hint! :cool:

Ha, Brian the Scapegoat. What if she says, "Well, we were going to let you in, but patience is one of the values that we look for in a dentist - so better luck next year." Now that would just be bad. :)

Seriously, though, I don't think 11 days is going to be that hard to wait out. I could be wrong though. If I don't hear anything by the 3rd, though - I'm calling. I'm sure that office (every dental admissions office in the country) just gets slammed on Dec. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, so I'll try and make thier lives a bit easier and not call on the 1st. Maybe they'll be efficient and let us know before we have a chance to hound them.

wahlbj said:
Ha, Brian the Scapegoat. What if she says, "Well, we were going to let you in, but patience is one of the values that we look for in a dentist - so better luck next year." Now that would just be bad. :)

Seriously, though, I don't think 11 days is going to be that hard to wait out. I could be wrong though. If I don't hear anything by the 3rd, though - I'm calling. I'm sure that office (every dental admissions office in the country) just gets slammed on Dec. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, so I'll try and make thier lives a bit easier and not call on the 1st. Maybe they'll be efficient and let us know before we have a chance to hound them.

Why WAIT!!? Make it easier on them? Not like any of this is easy on us. I believe we have earned the right to call them on the first to find out. And if you can honestly sit there knowing it is just a phone call away to find out and you still wait past the first....well you are a much more patient person than myself. :laugh:

Oh yea, I am being very sarcastic and not getting upset at all. Just think that we should all call on the first. Anyone else with we? :laugh: :thumbup: :D

Just keeping this thread alive. . .we're on page 3 now. (well, we were). Too bad I'm going to be out of town on an interview in Boston on Dec. 1. Guess I'll wait till Dec. 2 to find anything out. Probably won't do me much good. . .I'm pretty sure I'll be at least deferred to the next adcom meeting which is January 21. Maybe Jan. 22 will hold some good news for me. (Wow, that seems like such a long time).

wahlbj said:
Just keeping this thread alive. . .we're on page 3 now. (well, we were). Too bad I'm going to be out of town on an interview in Boston on Dec. 1. Guess I'll wait till Dec. 2 to find anything out. Probably won't do me much good. . .I'm pretty sure I'll be at least deferred to the next adcom meeting which is January 21. Maybe Jan. 22 will hold some good news for me. (Wow, that seems like such a long time).

Hey I feel ya! When is the third adcom meeting? And does anyone know how many they are going to accept each meeting.
Good luck to everyone, I know some of you are going to be getting some very good news soon.

miko22 said:
Hey I feel ya! When is the third adcom meeting? And does anyone know how many they are going to accept each meeting.
Good luck to everyone, I know some of you are going to be getting some very good news soon.

The third meeting is Feb. 18. If you go to the school's webpage and go under applicant information, there's a calender at the bottom that has all the dates. I'm pretty sure they accept 20 at each meeting. I've also heard (not sure how true this is) that in the first meeting they accept most or all of the out of state students, so the breakdown of the first meeting is something like 10 out of state and 10 in state acceptances - so it's tough to get in at the first meeting if you're from OK. All the other meetings should focus on in-state applicants, then, if it's true about the 1st meeting. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.

wahlbj said:
The third meeting is Feb. 18. If you go to the school's webpage and go under applicant information, there's a calender at the bottom that has all the dates. I'm pretty sure they accept 20 at each meeting. I've also heard (not sure how true this is) that in the first meeting they accept most or all of the out of state students, so the breakdown of the first meeting is something like 10 out of state and 10 in state acceptances - so it's tough to get in at the first meeting if you're from OK. All the other meetings should focus on in-state applicants, then, if it's true about the 1st meeting. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.

The final meeting there are usually around 4-5 spots left. Then they work on the alternate list during that meeting as well. So they do pick 20 more. 4-5 for the class and 15 or so for the alternate list.

miko22 said:
Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought that they accepted the fewest amount of people after the third meeting. The first group would be the biggest, then the second, then just a few in the last. I could definitely be wrong....

The first meeting is usually focused on non-res students. The second meeting is when they choose the bulk of the class.

Hey guys! Has anyone had the guts to call them yet? Or have you received the letter yet? I think they weren't actually going to mail it until today though :( .

Hope to hear about some acceptances soon! Good luck everyone!

Well, I just called and they said they give out no info over the phone. Darn.

tryan77 said:
Well, I just called and they said they give out no info over the phone. Darn.

Uggh, that sucks! I bet my mail man will be glad when I hear something...I have been stalking him for the last week! :laugh:

I'm in, I'm in' I'm in!! I just got home and there was a letter from OUHSC in the mailbox. Of course I had to rip it open in the driveway! You can not peal the smile off of my face right now! :D

tryan77 said:
I'm in, I'm in' I'm in!! I just got home and there was a letter from OUHSC in the mailbox. Of course I had to rip it open in the driveway! You can not peal the smile off of my face right now! :D

Congrats tryan77!!! That is awesome news. :thumbup:
If you don't mind me asking, what did the letter say?

miko22 said:
Congrats tryan77!!! That is awesome news. :thumbup:
If you don't mind me asking, what did the letter say?

It said "It is a pleasure to inform you that the Admissions Commitee for the University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry has voted to ADMIT you to the 2005 entering class..." Then goes on to explain about the deposit, etc.

Hopefully you will get the same one tomorrow. It is about 4 paragraphs long so takes up most of one page.

Good Luck!

Ryan

That's really cool, Ryan!

Cross your fingers for me. Maybe we will be classmates this July. :)
But I'm pretty sure I'll be waitlisted until I get my DAT score up. Anyone know if they send out a letter telling you that?

wahlbj said:

Just curious, but do any of you know how many OK residents were accepted for the 1st round of picks? I got a letter yesterday basically saying to wait. As for the 2nd and 3rd round picks, Dr. Coy said that they don't even look at non-resident applicants during those meetings. At that time, only residents will get picked. Well, good luck to you all. It sucks that I have to wait for over another month (hopefully just another month) to find out.

Oh yeah, congrats tryan77.

Well, I got the letter I expected today. My application for admissions is "still under consideration". They requested that I send my new DAT scores and a transcript after this semester.

Just thought I'd let you all know. Hope today is a great day for many of you. I'm gonna try and stay away from this site for a while--it seems to make me even more depressed. Good luck!

twankfanny said:
Just curious, but do any of you know how many OK residents were accepted for the 1st round of picks? I got a letter yesterday basically saying to wait. As for the 2nd and 3rd round picks, Dr. Coy said that they don't even look at non-resident applicants during those meetings. At that time, only residents will get picked. Well, good luck to you all. It sucks that I have to wait for over another month (hopefully just another month) to find out.

Oh yeah, congrats tryan77.

If that is the case, why are they still inviting non-res applicants to fly in and interview? I will get an update on that and post when I find out.

tryan77 said:
It said "It is a pleasure to inform you that the Admissions Commitee for the University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry has voted to ADMIT you to the 2005 entering class..." Then goes on to explain about the deposit, etc.

Hopefully you will get the same one tomorrow. It is about 4 paragraphs long so takes up most of one page.

Good Luck!

Ryan

YOU ROCK!!! Congratulations! :thumbup:

DDSdude said:
YOU ROCK!!! Congratulations! :thumbup:

Thanks alot guys!

I hope all you guys find out soon. I know the wait is pure torture.

I actually called yesterday (I was interviewing at Tufts in Boston - which was a really great experience, by the way), and Judy told me that I was still under review. She had to ask Dr. Coy if she could tell me first, though. I got my letter last night when I got home from Boston. Guess I'll just have to wait another month and a half (plus a few more days) to find anything out again. Judy told me also that they don't accept very many residents at the first meeting at all - almost all non-residents.

They told me word for word in my interview at Tufts, "You should expect a letter of acceptance within a month from us". To bad OU isn't so confirming, haha. OU is really my only choice, even if I get in at other places and not at OU - I'll just have to turn them down and apply again next year.

Good luck to all - hopefully you will have good news waiting in the mail today.

tryan77 said:
Thanks alot guys!

I hope all you guys find out soon. I know the wait is pure torture.

Oh yeah, meant to ask you, tryan, are you an Oklahoma resident or did you apply as a non-resident?

wahlbj said:
Oh yeah, meant to ask you, tryan, are you an Oklahoma resident or did you apply as a non-resident?

Just a thought and my two cents. Some schools may view your turning down acceptances as a sign of second guessing your career choice. The application at OU does ask if you have applied to other schools and if you were accepted and decided not to attend to explain why. It may be viewed as your seriousness to attend OU only but may also be contrued another way to your detriment. They may question why you applied to other schools and did not attend if you knew you wouldn't if you were accepted to them.

I could be wrong though. :D

Hey everyone,

I just got my acceptance letter this afternoon around 3:30. I had to chase down three different mailmen in my neighborhood but it was well worth it (THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE). I am an Oklahoma resident and a senior at Oklahoma State University majoring in Biology; I will graduate this spring.

Good luck to EVERYONE!!! I know the waiting game is tough.

Hang in there!!!! :)

DDSdude said:
Just a thought and my two cents. Some schools may view your turning down acceptances as a sign of second guessing your career choice. The application at OU does ask if you have applied to other schools and if you were accepted and decided not to attend to explain why. It may be viewed as your seriousness to attend OU only but may also be contrued another way to your detriment. They may question why you applied to other schools and did not attend if you knew you wouldn't if you were accepted to them.

I could be wrong though. :D

My plan is (if I get into Tufts) to tell OU that I am accepted to another school, but that I still want to go to OU. Maybe the fact that I got in somewhere else would make them more willing to accept me. That's kind of the vibe I got from OU.

wahlbj said:

Im a resident. Grew up in Mustang (just outside OKC).

Congrats ritterzs!

tryan77 said:
Im a resident. Grew up in Mustang (just outside OKC).

Congrats ritterzs!

Thanks tryan77, CONGRATS to you too and I hope to meet you this summer! :)

Hey you guys!
I got my acceptance letter TODAY!!:) Woooohooooo!!
Im so pumped--Oklahoma will be a really great place to be for the next four years...
I just finished my interview at Harvard a couple days ago, and I must say, it wouldn't be bad to be there either.. :laugh:
For those of you that have been accepted are you definitely gonna go?
Best wishes to the rest of you, and maybe we will be classmates in July!! :thumbup:

fleisch said:
Hey you guys!
I got my acceptance letter TODAY!!:) Woooohooooo!!
Im so pumped--Oklahoma will be a really great place to be for the next four years...
I just finished my interview at Harvard a couple days ago, and I must say, it wouldn't be bad to be there either.. :laugh:
For those of you that have been accepted are you definitely gonna go?
Best wishes to the rest of you, and maybe we will be classmates in July!! :thumbup:

Congrats! For me, yes it is certain. It is important for me to stick around Oklahoma for a while longer. Good luck with your options should they manifest. (Sent the second letter back with a deposit a couple days ago.)