Anyone Applying to Oklahoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,

Got my interview done yesterday. You go in, they take your picture, give your your stats to look over, then you go in to the conference room. I was interviewed by two faculty members, both of them very nice. (I don't remember the names right now). The first question. . . ."So, tell us about yourself". That's always a tough one, but you can do lots of things with it. The rest of the interview was pretty much tailored to my application. I had a lot of service when I was in undergrad, so I got a "So what service have you done since you graduated over a year ago". The also asked if I could change one thing about myself, what would it be. They asked what the hardest thing I've been through away from home was, how I dealt with it, and what I learned from it.

Overall, the atmosphere was very laid back, but they didn't ask a bunch of easy questions - some were difficult, but it really seemed they just wanted to get to know me.

They concluded the interview with several suggestions for me. One was that I do as much shadowing between now and the end of the year as I could, and to call and let them know when I had. I've only got 10 hours of shadowing, and they said I need more like 100. They also said to take some classes next semester to prove I could handle a hard workload of science classes. My science GPA is below a 3.0, though my overall GPA is above, and my DAT score is 20/21. I'm not sure if that was a "do this and apply again next year" or "do this before december and you'll have a better shot of getting in" kind of thing.

In the end I really think they enjoyed talking with me, and it felt more like a conversation than anything. I would say be prepared to talk about yourself and what makes you the kind of person you are, backed with examples from your life. It's totally a no-stress atmosphere, though.

Good luck all

Members don't see this ad.

sounds awesome....good luck and thanks for the feedback.

Hey Brian,

Sounds like your interview went great. I will let you and everybody else know how mine goes on Thursday.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your interview experience sounds great! See miko22, you have nothing to worry about. :laugh:

They really do want to get to know who you are and what makes you tick. All of you will do great!

Thanks for the reply's, but I'm still a bit worried.

The whole, "here are 3 suggestions" at the end of the interview tells me they are trying to say "better luck next year, after you do these things we suggest". Maybe I'm off the mark, but that's how I feel. I don't know how I'm going to shadow 100 hours and take classes and work full time and part time and get it all done. I still have to pay rent, and bills, and my car payment, and the list just goes on and on. Maybe my reaction is too negative. I'm going to try and shadow 40 hours in the next 2 weeks (my boss is quite gracious/supportive) and try and meet with Dr. Coy after and see what impressions I get from him. Hopefully I've still got a chance in this cycle.

wahlbj said:
Thanks for the reply's, but I'm still a bit worried.

The whole, "here are 3 suggestions" at the end of the interview tells me they are trying to say "better luck next year, after you do these things we suggest". Maybe I'm off the mark, but that's how I feel. I don't know how I'm going to shadow 100 hours and take classes and work full time and part time and get it all done. I still have to pay rent, and bills, and my car payment, and the list just goes on and on. Maybe my reaction is too negative. I'm going to try and shadow 40 hours in the next 2 weeks (my boss is quite gracious/supportive) and try and meet with Dr. Coy after and see what impressions I get from him. Hopefully I've still got a chance in this cycle.

I am sure you still have a great shot. They gave you that advice to see if you will do it. They will make note of their recommendations to you in your file and it will be brought up later in the admissions meetings to see if you have done it. I would use it to your advantage. It shows interest in you as an applicant. If you do all they recommend than they shouldn't have a reason to not accept you. Don't give them a reason not to or they will take it and accept someone else over you!! Stay positive!! :thumbup:

Brian,
Try not to get too discouraged. I know it is hard working, going to school and on top of that trying to fit other things into your schedule. Try to look at it on the bright side, at least they are interested in you and told you valuable information to make you the best candidate you can possibly be. If for some reason you don't get in this year, then by next year you will be ready. A lot of people don't get in on their first try.

That being said, I need to heed my own advice to you. I know they are going to want me to retake and score higher on the DAT, and like you, I can't seem to find time to fit anything else into my schedule. And forbid I have a social life!

Try to stay positive!!!

Stay positive buddy...most of the people on SDN will get in SOMEWHERE...maybe not their top choice, but they'll get in.

Hey Miko22,

Best of luck today! Let us know how it goes.

Well, I also am applying to OU and I just took the DAT for the first time today. I got 17,17,16 scores. I was thankful to have done this well because I have had no time to prepare for it yet. I have been working fulltime and taking 9 hours of prereques in the evenings. I have a CGPA of about 3.6 and my science GPA is 4.0. I have my BS in Civil Engineering from OU. I haven't had a lot of time to shadow yet (about 16 hours) but will be taking some vacation time in the next month to do about 20 more hours. I'm hoping since I work fulltime as an engineer they will cut me a little slack on shadow time. :confused:

What do you think of my chances for this cycle??

Thanks
Ryan

After reading the posts, you guys sound like a great group of people. I wish you all the luck with all of your interviews and I hope we all get in. I'm also applying for OU again this year and will be interviewing this coming Tuesday. Wish me luck!!

Ryan,

You've got a killer (well, perfect) science GPA, and your overall is very good, too. Your DAT scores are good enough, I think. The average DAT scores at OU are like 17's or 18's - so you are very close. If you've got good letters of rec., purpose statement, service activities, etc; I think you will have a great shot. I have a ton of service activities on my app, and I think they really liked that - they kept talking about it in my interview.

If I were you I'd take the unofficial scores that you've got from your test today and turn them into thier office if you live close. They will treat them as official scores and you can get a way earlier interview. If you need to know how to get there or anything I can help you out.

I work full time in research, plus I teach for Kaplan as a second job, and they still pounded the shadow thing at the end of my interview. I have 10 hours and they said to try for 100. It seemed the shadowing was a very important part of the application to my interviewers.

tryan77 said:
Well, I also am applying to OU and I just took the DAT for the first time today. I got 17,17,16 scores. I was thankful to have done this well because I have had no time to prepare for it yet. I have been working fulltime and taking 9 hours of prereques in the evenings. I have a CGPA of about 3.6 and my science GPA is 4.0. I have my BS in Civil Engineering from OU. I haven't had a lot of time to shadow yet (about 16 hours) but will be taking some vacation time in the next month to do about 20 more hours. I'm hoping since I work fulltime as an engineer they will cut me a little slack on shadow time. :confused:

What do you think of my chances for this cycle??

Thanks
Ryan

Hey Ryan,
You scored pretty well your first time taking that DAT considering the time you had to prepare for it. Your GPAs look great! I believe the average DAT score for last year's cycle for OU was a 17.1 with GPAs about 3.4ish. How much more pre-reqs do you have left? I can't really tell you how your chances are for this cycle since I've been trying to get into OU 3X already. hehehe :laugh: But keep up your science GPA!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys. I am taking two prereques this semester (Zoology and Human Physiology) and then I only need Organic Chem II in the spring and I am done. If I dont get in this year I will definitely be doing alot more shadowing and I will be beefing up my volunteer work. I currently volunteer for my church and have done that for some time, but no time outside of that as I have been working fulltime as a civil engineer and of course going to school parttime to get the other classes I needed. I'm am hopeful for this year of course, but if I have to apply again next year so be it. :

Hey everyone,

Yup, I survived my interview. Not only that, I really enjoyed the whole experience! I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Not only that, the 2 faculty members who interviewed me were kind, supportive, and overall great people. I never felt like they were grilling me, it was more like a conversation. It lasted almost an hour and we could have talked even longer.

I hope everyone has an equally enjoyable experience.

Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I'm not applying to OU, but I am applying to Ariz. I was hoping that maybe one of you can still help me answer some questions.

-The ones that have had an interview, did you bring with you some sort of notebook to the interview or you did you go empty handed?

-Were any of you asked ethical questions?

Leenie_OU said:
Hey Ryan,
You scored pretty well your first time taking that DAT considering the time you had to prepare for it. Your GPAs look great! I believe the average DAT score for last year's cycle for OU was a 17.1 with GPAs about 3.4ish. How much more pre-reqs do you have left? I can't really tell you how your chances are for this cycle since I've been trying to get into OU 3X already. hehehe :laugh: But keep up your science GPA!!!

I met with Dr. Coy a couple of weeks ago and he said that the average DAT was in the 18's.

It is good to see you again in the forum Leenie_OU.

DDSdude,

Did he give you any other interesting/helpful information?

Thanks again for all the pre-interview help. I really appreciate it. :D

Brian,

Have you found time to do any shadowing? This week is Fall Break so I'm gonna try to fit some study time for the DAT in. Maybe...Hopefully... :cool:

miko22 said:
DDSdude,

Did he give you any other interesting/helpful information?

Thanks again for all the pre-interview help. I really appreciate it. :D

Brian,

Have you found time to do any shadowing? This week is Fall Break so I'm gonna try to fit some study time for the DAT in. Maybe...Hopefully... :cool:

The meeting with him was very insightful. He has done extensive research and has found that those who have been accepted in the past to OU with below a 16 have failed first boards in the 40%+ realm and that is if they made it to the second year. He also said that chance are that they will not accept anyone with below a 16 on the DAT because of those findings. It may happen, but I believe he said it is around a 1 to 2 percent chance.

Yeah, that is interesting. When do students take that first board exam? Is it in the second year?

I'm interviewing this Friday, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what Dr. Lucas is like.

twankfanny said:
I'm interviewing this Friday, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what Dr. Lucas is like.

I interviewed with him last year. Great guy. A practicing dentist in Watonga. Has been practicing for awhile and has problably one of if not the largest practices there in Watonga. He is very down to earth. Good Luck! He is very easy to talk to.

Who else are you interviewing with? Dr. Henry, Dr. Cohlmia? They usually have practicing dentists interview on Fridays.

I called today to ask who my interviewers are, and Judy only knew of Dr. Lucas since the other one bailed on her. She has to find a replacement interviewer by Friday.

Also, since my interviewers (at least one for sure) are practicing dentists, is there any difference in their interview approach compared to faculty interviewers? What are the chances of getting asked about current dental issues?

Thanks for the info.

twankfanny said:
I called today to ask who my interviewers are, and Judy only knew of Dr. Lucas since the other one bailed on her. She has to find a replacement interviewer by Friday.

Also, since my interviewers (at least one for sure) are practicing dentists, is there any difference in their interview approach compared to faculty interviewers? What are the chances of getting asked about current dental issues?

Thanks for the info.

I would be surprised if you don't interview with Dr. Henry, Dr. Cohlmia, or Dr. Harraz as well as Dr. Lucas. They usually interview on Fridays.

Practicing dentists, I feel, take more of an approach that would give them some insight as to your effectiveness to practice dentistry and faculty seem to find out if you can handle the load in school. He may ask you some current issues or what aspects of dentistry you enjoy the most. Just be ready for anything. Alot of it depends on your application, essay, LOR, etc. They are pretty specific to each candadite and want to dive deeper into who you are underneath all the paperwork.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Thanks DDSDude for the additional info.

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between general DDS and AEGD? For instance, what AEGD includes that general dentistry doesn't, how many more years does an AEGD student have to go?

I looked on OUHSC's website, but it wasn't very informative.

twankfanny said:

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between general DDS and AEGD? For instance, what AEGD includes that general dentistry doesn't, how many more years does an AEGD student have to go?

AEGD is an additional year of general dentistry work. It includes more procedures such as implants, root canals, cosmetic, etc depending on where you go. Some take the residency to improve their skills and speed. Others may do it if they haven't passed their licensure boards since you can practice in the AEGD without one. Some do it becuase they aren't sure what they want to do or haven't found the right opportunity to go into out of school. I have a friend who just finished one at OU.

twankfanny said:

How did the interview go? Who did you interview with?

Hey Everyone!
How was everyone's interviews? I hope it went well. Mine was great! The interview was very comfortable and I was able to form a relationship with my interviewers (Deborah Butler and Dr. Beavers). They were very nice!

I have a friend whose interview is this Friday with OU. She said that she received a phone call from the interviewer (Dr. Jacobsen) today and was asked to have lunch with them along with 2 dental students. She was wondering if the interview would be nontraditional. Does anyone know anything about this lunch/interview? I've never heard of this. I wish to help her by giving her advice since she is very nervous. :)

Thanks!!

Leenie_OU said:
Hey Everyone!
How was everyone's interviews? I hope it went well. Mine was great! The interview was very comfortable and I was able to form a relationship with my interviewers (Deborah Butler and Dr. Beavers). They were very nice!

I have a friend whose interview is this Friday with OU. She said that she received a phone call from the interviewer (Dr. Jacobsen) today and was asked to have lunch with them along with 2 dental students. She was wondering if the interview would be nontraditional. Does anyone know anything about this lunch/interview? I've never heard of this. I wish to help her by giving her advice since she is very nervous. :)

Thanks!!

She will have the interview and then at noon have lunch with them. They just started doing this last Friday. So the interview should be "traditional" followed by a lunch with the group of interviewers and interviewees. Do you know who she is interviewing with? What is her name?

DDSdude said:
She will have the interview and then at noon have lunch with them. They just started doing this last Friday. So the interview should be "traditional" followed by a lunch with the group of interviewers and interviewees. Do you know who she is interviewing with? What is her name?

She'll be interviewing with Dr. Jacobsen and Dr. Wallace. I've had an interview with Dr. Jacobsen a few years ago and thought that she was helpful and easy going. I don't know Dr. Wallace.

Leenie_OU said:
She'll be interviewing with Dr. Jacobsen and Dr. Wallace. I've had an interview with Dr. Jacobsen a few years ago and thought that she was helpful and easy going. I don't know Dr. Wallace.

What else do you know about Dr. Jacobsen? Is she a practicing dentist or faculty?

DDSdude said:
What else do you know about Dr. Jacobsen? Is she a practicing dentist or faculty?

She's faculty. I forget what she teaches. My brother, who is an alum, told me once, but I can't seem to remember. :confused: I'll ask him whenever I talk to him. :)

DDSdude said:
How did the interview go? Who did you interview with?

The interview was good. Very relaxing environment like everyone's said. I was wondering if you or anyone in this forum knows of anyone who's taken any Botany courses or are a Botany major? I'm asking because when I was told my sci GPA before my interview, it was lower than what I calculated. I've recalculated by myself and with my advisor, and it seems that my botany hours were left off. I called them and according to the people at the dental school, Botany doesn't count as a "natural" science, but strange enough, sciences such as Physics and Chem does.

What do you all think. :confused:

twankfanny said:
The interview was good. Very relaxing environment like everyone's said. I was wondering if you or anyone in this forum knows of anyone who's taken any Botany courses or are a Botany major? I'm asking because when I was told my sci GPA before my interview, it was lower than what I calculated. I've recalculated by myself and with my advisor, and it seems that my botany hours were left off. I called them and according to the people at the dental school, Botany doesn't count as a "natural" science, but strange enough, sciences such as Physics and Chem does.

What do you all think. :confused:

I thought that botany was a biologicial science, thus making it a science course. Botany is covered in general biology. I am not sure how they determine it. I would give Dr. Coy a call and ask if he can clarify it for you.

DDSdude said:
Dr. Jacobsen is a removable prosthodontics professor.

Leenie_OU said:
Dr. Jacobsen is a removable prosthodontics professor.

Thank you for that information!

I think this is the longest thread ever on SDN for OU!!!!!! :thumbup:

Hey you all!
I am heading back to Okie Land next Thursday...my interview is at 3:15 next Friday...:)
Im getting sorta nervous....were you all thrown any Loops? Like, "What are some current issues in Dentistry..?" or anything like that? I am just worried they are going to ask me a question I wont know the answer to...did you all prepare??
Let me know if you can!!
BOOMER SOONERS!!:):):)

Hey everybody! I haven't posted in a while but I really haven't had anything good or interesting to say. I'm just waiting like everybody else around here. (And taking a break from studying genetics). :D

So here's my question: During my interview, my 2 interviewers mentioned that I could call Judy and get some feedback about my interview. I have been kind of hesitant to call because I wasn't sure if that was something appropriate to do or not. I mean, what would I say, "Are you going to let me in or what?" Does anyone know if that is ok to do, or have any advice on this?

I guess I'm heading back to genetics. I've been so busy with school and bball that I've had no time to even look at my DAT stuff. I am planning on scheduling my second try tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm in the same boat. My interview is Monday, November 8th. Any feedback from you guys that have interviewed at OU would be much appreciated! :D

tryan77 said:
I'm in the same boat. My interview is Monday, November 8th. Any feedback from you guys that have interviewed at OU would be much appreciated! :D
The interview is pretty laidback considering it is a formal interview. The interview consists of 2 interviewers both who are either faculty members, dentists from the community, or dental students. They'll ask you questions like why do you want to become a dentist, who did you observe and what did you observe, how many hours of observation you have, and how active you are in school especially in the pre-dental club. They might ask you different things, but that is what they asked me. Then you tell them about your life. They really want to get to know you. To get over your nervousness, just think that they are just regular people and you'll do fine. Practice your answers too!!! :)

Hey, for you guys that have applied to OU before, have you figured out what they are looking for that kept you from getting in before?? I've talked to another student that is of a family of dentists, very high GPA, high DAT and didn't get in last year. :( It makes things feel even more uncertain when there doesn't seem to be any real pattern. :confused:

DDSdude said:
I thought that botany was a biologicial science, thus making it a science course. Botany is covered in general biology. I am not sure how they determine it. I would give Dr. Coy a call and ask if he can clarify it for you.

Unfortunately, Dr. Coy is & will be out of the office for a couple of weeks. Both Nancy (predent advisor) and I have contacted the Dent School, and they told us that Botany was never counted because it's not a "natural sci". I guess I'll just have to wait to talk to Dr. Coy.

If you all don't mind me asking or don't mind telling, what is your science GPA? I'm a little worried about getting in and all now that they're not counting my botany courses and my sci GPA is a bit lower.

Also, my interviewers said that even though it says that they start notifying applicants Dec. 1st lots of times it's usually for non-resident applicants, and resident applicants don't usually find out until maybe later in the month or beginning of the year. Is this right?

Hey you all~
Just wanted to see if any of you out there are going to be on campus this Friday, Nov 5th-
The school just called me to invite me to a luncheon from 12-1 that day (my interview is at 3:15)...Are any of you gonna be on campus? Id love to meet up in between lunch and my interview!
(P.S. Has anyone been to this luncheon thing???) :D

Hey its pretty cool that they started doing the luncheons with the interviews. I wish I had gotten to do that... Do you think it is a disadvantage to those who just got the plain ole interview?

I live 3 hours from okc, so I won't be in the area, but good luck, you'll do great! By the way, what did you decide to wear?

Also, my interviewers said that even though it says that they start notifying applicants Dec. 1st lots of times it's usually for non-resident applicants, and resident applicants don't usually find out until maybe later in the month or beginning of the year. Is this right?[/QUOTE]

Uggh...that sucks if they are going to wait till mid month to send some kind of answer out. :confused:

miko22 said:
Also, my interviewers said that even though it says that they start notifying applicants Dec. 1st lots of times it's usually for non-resident applicants, and resident applicants don't usually find out until maybe later in the month or beginning of the year. Is this right?

Uggh...that sucks if they are going to wait till mid month to send some kind of answer out. :confused:[/QUOTE]

As far as what I have experienced heard and seen in the past, their main focus this first meeting is to try to fill the non-res spots in the class. The day I interviewed they interviewed around 10 non-res that day a few res applicants. If they get to the res list than they will accept a few off of that list. Overall though they focus on non-res this first meeting.

The board does meet again in Jan and Feb. They will notify res students after each meeting if they have been accepted. If they have not you will be deferred until the final meeting when they fill the class and fill the alternate list. I believe there will be a non-res and res alternate list.

DDSdude said:
Uggh...that sucks if they are going to wait till mid month to send some kind of answer out. :confused:

I also think they accept 10 non-residents and 10 residents in December.

Hey Guys!~
Just thought I might ask if any of you have attended this "luncheon" thing I am going to on Friday a couple of hours before my actual Interview...Im guessing I should just wear the same thing I am wearing for my interview...God, I hope I am not the only interviewee at the lunch (which I am sure I wont be)...:) Best of luck to everyone who will be waiting on the first selections meeting!:) Gotta love those Sooners!:):):)

fleisch said:
Hey Guys!~
Just thought I might ask if any of you have attended this "luncheon" thing I am going to on Friday a couple of hours before my actual Interview...Im guessing I should just wear the same thing I am wearing for my interview...God, I hope I am not the only interviewee at the lunch (which I am sure I wont be)...:) Best of luck to everyone who will be waiting on the first selections meeting!:) Gotta love those Sooners!:):):)

I had my interview last Friday and there were about 10 of us in the luncheon. So, no you won't be the only one in there. It is a great time to ask anything you want and get some additional face time with those on the committee. I would just wear the same thing. But then again I am not a fashion expert my any stretch of the imagination. :confused:

And YES, The Sooners ROCK!! :laugh: