Anyone Applying to Oklahoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tryan77 said:
Congrats! For me, yes it is certain. It is important for me to stick around Oklahoma for a while longer. Good luck with your options should they manifest. (Sent the second letter back with a deposit a couple days ago.)

I was just wondering if anyone has spoken with the Dental school to see if they're allowing anymore slots to non-residents. Last I heard was that the dental school sent out 24 resident's acceptance letters, and I forgot how many non-resident (but only 8 will be accepted). However, Dr. Coy said that 50 more interviews are going on since Dec 1, so are there more slots available for non-residents or that's all? Well, to those who are residents and still waiting, which includes myself, ONLY about 26 openings left for us. :eek: This waiting just kills me. So much for enjoying the holidays huh?

Members don't see this ad.

twankfanny said:
I was just wondering if anyone has spoken with the Dental school to see if they're allowing anymore slots to non-residents. Last I heard was that the dental school sent out 24 resident's acceptance letters, and I forgot how many non-resident (but only 8 will be accepted). However, Dr. Coy said that 50 more interviews are going on since Dec 1, so are there more slots available for non-residents or that's all? Well, to those who are residents and still waiting, which includes myself, ONLY about 26 openings left for us. :eek: This waiting just kills me. So much for enjoying the holidays huh?

Yeah, the waiting does definately suck. One thing to remember - OU might have sent out 24 acceptances to residents, but it is unlikely that all 24 of those people will matriculate. Most of them probably will, but probably a few of them will go to different schools. The number of students a school accepts is always larger than the number that matriculate, so there are probably more than JUST 26 openings left for residents (at least, I sure hope so!).

twankfanny said:

A good friend of mine is interviewing this morning at OU and he is a non-resident. They are still accepting non-res students during this next meeting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just interviewed on Dec. 9th. Loved everything about it. Great place to go to school. One of my interviewers invited me to observe at his practice and I did for about 2 hrs that day. Loved it. I hope that's a good sign.

Hey you all!
Just thought I would bring the Oklahoma thread back up to the forefront..
How is everyone doing? Any more acceptances out there?
For those of you that have been accepted, have you sent in your confirmation/deposit yet?
Mine is due January 4th, and I think I am going to wait until the last possible minute...Im waiting to hear from Harvard, and I just got accepted to U of Washington a couple days ago...I am having a really tough time trying to decide where I want to go...I used to think I was deadset on Oklahoma, and I know that it is such a great school and all, but something about living in OKC for the next 4+ years of my life is sorta depressing... :oops: ...what are you all planning on doing? And for those of you who are definitely attending, where are you living? I have looked at the University Village apartments (blah), as well as those aptmts in the Deep Deuce area...Keep us updated! Or PM me!! :D

fleisch said:
Hey you all!
Just thought I would bring the Oklahoma thread back up to the forefront..
How is everyone doing? Any more acceptances out there?
For those of you that have been accepted, have you sent in your confirmation/deposit yet?
Mine is due January 4th, and I think I am going to wait until the last possible minute...Im waiting to hear from Harvard, and I just got accepted to U of Washington a couple days ago...I am having a really tough time trying to decide where I want to go...I used to think I was deadset on Oklahoma, and I know that it is such a great school and all, but something about living in OKC for the next 4+ years of my life is sorta depressing... :oops: ...what are you all planning on doing? And for those of you who are definitely attending, where are you living? I have looked at the University Village apartments (blah), as well as those aptmts in the Deep Deuce area...Keep us updated! Or PM me!! :D

I live in OKC, and there's really nothing depressing about it at all. I would stay away from the university apartments - overpriced and really small. Deep Deuce is really cool - right next to bricktown, but way way overpriced. A 2 bedroom there will run you 1200+/mo, which might not sound so bad, but is really expensive here. I live in the Village (about 7 miles north of downtown) in a 1400 sq. ft. house, 2-bed, 1 bath, all hardwood floors, backyard, garage, etc, for $600/mo. I would definately look into renting a house. I can let you know kind of where the village area is (it's just one good rental area) if you're interested.

You could also look into buying a house. My fiance' bought a house several years ago when she started med. school here and it is really reasonable. Speaking of, the house I rent will be up for lease here in about 6 months, haha. You could sell after your 4 years of dent. school and probably make some money, but there are more headaches involved in buying than renting. My 2 cents.

Hey guys!
Just sent in my confirmation and deposit yesterday to OU...Im still waiting on the rest of my schools to get back to me though:(...what's next with OU? Nothing in the mail till April-ish re: orientation and such?
How are the rest of you doing? Any word from them? When does the 2nd round of acceptances come out? Good luck to all of you!

fleisch said:
How are the rest of you doing? Any word from them? When does the 2nd round of acceptances come out? Good luck to all of you!

I think they meet Jan. 21. I've got my fingers crossed.

wahlbj said:
I think they meet Jan. 21. I've got my fingers crossed.

Best of Luck to you!

I called the dental office the other day and they said we probably won’t get anything until the last of the acceptances are complete. I've started trying to get my FAFSA stuff rolling. Got to get the fat credit line established :rolleyes:

I have to finish up with Organic Chem. II this Spring semester. Feels really odd knowing it is just a formality. I'm just about ready to have one job again, splitting my energy between work and school is getting old. There are some pleasantries to the pliable student schedule.

Well,

I found our thread on page 7. Figure'd I'd bump us up to page 1 for a bit.

The committee met on Friday, so my stomach is in knots not knowing what they did with my application. I tried calling them today, but I didn't get any answers concerning my application specifically. This is what she told me:

"We sent letters this morning to those who were accpeted. Otherwise, we will meet again on Feb. the 11th. For some reason I thought the 3rd meeting was on the 18th, but it seems I'm wrong"

Anyway, I hope that all of you who are still under review like me will get a happy letter in the mail on Wednesday-ish. For those of you accepted (TRyan, fleisch), what kind of envelope should we hope to see in the mail? A thin one, or something bigger or thicker? I guess it would only take about 15 seconds to open it and find out, haha.

wahlbj said:
Well,

The committee met on Friday, so my stomach is in knots not knowing what they did with my application. I tried calling them today, but I didn't get any answers concerning my application specifically. This is what she told me:

"We sent letters this morning to those who were accpeted. Otherwise, we will meet again on Feb. the 11th. For some reason I thought the 3rd meeting was on the 18th, but it seems I'm wrong"

Anyway, I hope that all of you who are still under review like me will get a happy letter in the mail on Wednesday-ish. For those of you accepted (TRyan, fleisch), what kind of envelope should we hope to see in the mail? A thin one, or something bigger or thicker? I guess it would only take about 15 seconds to open it and find out, haha.

Haha....well, Brian, the envelope was a normal sized-one....although I am quite positive it had three sheets of paper folded in it, so it will feel a touch on the thick side..:)
I sure am prayin for ya! I know you really wanna get in--good luck and keep us posted! :thumbup: :luck:

thanks for the info, fleisch, and for the prayers. Have you decided to go to OU for sure? Last time you wrote in you said you were still waiting on a few other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Judy as well, but I pressed her a little more and she said I wouldn't be receiving an envelope this time, but I'm still under consideration...I guess maybe that's not very good since I'm out-of-state. The form that shows deadlines and dates for OUCOD says that the 11th is the last day for interviews and the final admissions meeting is on Feb. 18th. I really want to go to OUCOD, but it's looking like next year for out-of-staters that haven't received an envelope yet.

wahlbj said:
thanks for the info, fleisch, and for the prayers. Have you decided to go to OU for sure? Last time you wrote in you said you were still waiting on a few other schools.

Hey Brian--Yeah, I still havent decided yet...I definitely have my spot secured over there, but I am waiting to hear back from Harvard still (as the days go by, my hope diminishes), and I am really really really hoping to get an interview from UCLA....who knows though...I might be a Sooner after all...Im just letting the cards fall how they may..:)
Good luck on Wednesday with the mail, and remember that everything happens for a reason! :thumbup:

wahlbj said:
Well,

I know exactly how you feel. I've been checking the mail constantly for OU"s letter. I thought about calling Judy, but it's no use trying to make myself any more nerve-wrecked than I already am.

Anyway, if they sent the letters today, then the metro area people should be receiving the letter tomorrow if the mailmans are nice.

Good luck to you all.!

Heys!!! How's everyone doing? I've been studying abroad so I've been out of the loop. I just got a call from my dad this morning saying that I was accepted. I'm so excited! I think i'll be coming home sooner now. Yah!! Good luck with everything!!!

Leenie_OU said:
Heys!!! How's everyone doing? I've been studying abroad so I've been out of the loop. I just got a call from my dad this morning saying that I was accepted. I'm so excited! I think i'll be coming home sooner now. Yah!! Good luck with everything!!!

In the words of Napoleon Dynamite: "Lucky. . .",

Though I'm sure your getting in has much more to do with hard work and determination than luck, but I had to throw that one in there - that was such a sweet movie.

Congrats! :thumbup:

I'm hoping for the next round.

wahlbj said:

Though I'm sure your getting in has much more to do with hard work and determination than luck, but I had to throw that one in there - that was such a sweet movie.

Hahaha...This is my third time applying with a second degree, but I guess hard work and perseverance paid off. I wish I could have been lucky 2 years ago though. :laugh:

wahlbj said:

Brian--Did you get your letter??????????????? :luck:

fleisch said:
Brian--Did you get your letter??????????????? :luck:

Nope, no love from my mailbox :( . Thanks for asking, though.

I hope I'll get one in a month or so.

On another note - you guys should go check out my website www.feelslikefridaymusic.com. I moonlight as a rock star (at least I'd like to think I do), and this is a website I made for my one-man band "Feels Like Friday". (More hits on the site would make me happy :) )

Just bumping this up for the person who asked where all the OU people were... :)

Hey Miko!!~
Where are you living next year??? Are you currently in undergrad??

fleisch said:
Hey Miko!!~
Where are you living next year??? Are you currently in undergrad??

Hey everyone!

I haven't really been posting or getting on SDN lately... I have been kinda sad since I know that I won't be attending OU this year. But I am planning on applying early for the next round. Yes, I am finishing up my undergrad at Southeastern Okla. State Univ. (in Durant for those of you who don't know where that is). I am really wanting to move back to the OKC area...maybe Edmond....

congrats to all of you who got in, and for those of us who didnt let's keep in touch for when we try again next year. ;)

miko22 said:
Hey everyone!

I haven't really been posting or getting on SDN lately... I have been kinda sad since I know that I won't be attending OU this year. But I am planning on applying early for the next round. Yes, I am finishing up my undergrad at Southeastern Okla. State Univ. (in Durant for those of you who don't know where that is). I am really wanting to move back to the OKC area...maybe Edmond....

congrats to all of you who got in, and for those of us who didnt let's keep in touch for when we try again next year. ;)

Hey miko,

If I don't get in this year I'll definately keep this thread alive with you for next cycle.

Hey do you guys think that there would be any point in taking the DAT this Spring and applying to OUCOD with only 64 hours and an A.S. in chemistry?

RPW said:
Hey do you guys think that there would be any point in taking the DAT this Spring and applying to OUCOD with only 64 hours and an A.S. in chemistry?

First we would need to know some more about you.

What is your overall GPA and science GPA?
How much experience do you have in a dental office setting?

If those areas are strong and it were me I would rock the DAT and apply. You have nothing to lose and worst case is you don't get in but have the opportunity to get in front of the admissions board and experience the process.

My two cents...

Right now I have a 3.8 overall GPA. I am gonna try to figure out my science GPA. in a while because I have got to go to class.

Anyways I have 3 B's 1 in college algebra, 1 in college trig and one in breif organic chemistry 1 ( I took it the spring of my first year in college and would have had an A but the way the guy curved the class down I was won to go down. He only allowed for 2 A's in the class and I had the lowest A of three people so I got a B. Sucks).

Anyways I try and figure out my science GPA and get it posted here.

Ok, so best I can figure I have a 3.8 gpa and a 3.76 science gpa if you don't count college algebra, trig. If you count them then I have a 3.6. However I should bring that up because I should make an A in all of my classes this term which are:

First Aid

Physics II

Botany

General Physical Science
&,
I am doing a 3 credit hour research project over Grignard reactions(will that count on science GPA?)

Oklahoma doesn't count math courses in the Science GPA. They will only take the regular BCP and anatomy type classes. For some reason they used my psychology class, but nothing for math.

Well in that case my science GPA would be around right at 3.8 or just a little over that. So would ya'll go ahead and take the dat and apply?

Congrats Leenie!!

I bumped into another applicant in my Organic II class. We discussed the interviews a little and recent OUCOD news. I had heard that the Senior class has been selling a CD to the lower classmen containing test files. I assumed it was an above the board, traditional, type thing...apparently not. The Faculty wasn't pleased. Point being, I believe that was the basis of my ethical question in the interview. Basically, I was put hypothetically in the position of the student that turned them in. Just thought that was interesting.

I keep hearing the summer anatomy class is brutal, I am really curious to see how I measure up to the first "onslaught". I guess the real question is how talented/driven you guys are (that was inclusive of the ladies :) ). I’m sure grades are distributed on a curve. I did well in all my Engineering classes but you have to wonder, at least a little, when something is touted as very difficult.

Best of Luck to All,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I also heard that the anatomy class in a little rough, but I think we'll manage. :)

Just wanted to bump us up to the top of the forum again.

Who else is waiting with me for the last meeting? I think I'm going to hold a prayer vigil starting now till Friday around 5 or so, haha.

TRyan, what O-Chem II class are you in? I'm in the night class at OCCC (the cheapest one out there) and I think everybody is applying to OUCOD - or is going to next year. It's crazy. I teach/tutor DAT among other things for Kaplan, and everybody that works for Kaplan is applying, or so it seems. Pretty tough competition out there.

wahlbj said:
Just wanted to bump us up to the top of the forum again.

Who else is waiting with me for the last meeting? I think I'm going to hold a prayer vigil starting now till Friday around 5 or so, haha.

TRyan, what O-Chem II class are you in? I'm in the night class at OCCC (the cheapest one out there) and I think everybody is applying to OUCOD - or is going to next year. It's crazy. I teach/tutor DAT among other things for Kaplan, and everybody that works for Kaplan is applying, or so it seems. Pretty tough competition out there.

There is only one night class. T-TH 5:30-7:25 McKenna

Best of Luck to You.

tryan77 said:
There is only one night class. T-TH 5:30-7:25 McKenna

Best of Luck to You.

That's my class. Thanks!

As of last Friday (the final admin meeting at OU) they did not have any seats in the class to fill. In the past they have had 3-5 spots left to fill in the final meeting but those letters they sent out for acceptances after the second to final meeting were all accepted.

Another amazing stat is that in the past they have had 4-7 non-res students accept to go to OU and this year they have a record 14 non-res that have accepted. Of course that may change as time goes on and they are possibly accepted elsewhere but that does take away 7-10 spots for res applicants which diminishes our chances by about 10-15%. They will be working from the res alternate list to fill spots as non-res decide to go somewhere else.

For those of us not accepted....pray for a spot in the top 3 on the alternate list and we may still get in this year at OU. Although last year the alternate list didn't move.... :(

This makes me sad.

I did talk with Judy yesterday, and she said letters would probably go out Tuesday (today). I didn't really try and get any more info from her, though.

DDSdude said:
As of last Friday (the final admin meeting at OU) they did not have any seats in the class to fill. In the past they have had 3-5 spots left to fill in the final meeting but those letters they sent out for acceptances after the second to final meeting were all accepted.

Another amazing stat is that in the past they have had 4-7 non-res students accept to go to OU and this year they have a record 14 non-res that have accepted. Of course that may change as time goes on and they are possibly accepted elsewhere but that does take away 7-10 spots for res applicants which diminishes our chances by about 10-15%. They will be working from the res alternate list to fill spots as non-res decide to go somewhere else.

For those of us not accepted....pray for a spot in the top 3 on the alternate list and we may still get in this year at OU. Although last year the alternate list didn't move.... :(

Do you think since more out of state residents were accepted that there might be a better chance for the alternate list to move? Basically I am #2 on the alternate list, I am just wondering if I have a chance! Thanks

dosocho said:
Do you think since more out of state residents were accepted that there might be a better chance for the alternate list to move? Basically I am #2 on the alternate list, I am just wondering if I have a chance! Thanks

I would guess that would be the case. That's just a guess, though. By the way, how did you find out you were #2 on the list? I'm just curious - I haven't heard anything yet.

wahlbj said:
I would guess that would be the case. That's just a guess, though. By the way, how did you find out you were #2 on the list? I'm just curious - I haven't heard anything yet.

I talked to Judy yesterday...she asked my name, and told me that I was #2 on the alternate list...Good luck!!!

dosocho said:
I talked to Judy yesterday...she asked my name, and told me that I was #2 on the alternate list...Good luck!!!

I plan to apply there !

Its a real good school.

Leenie_OU said:
Thanks Ryan! I also heard that the anatomy class in a little rough, but I think we'll manage. :)

Hello again. I've also heard about the anat course being tough. Something else to freak us out. Well, at least it has freaked me out a little since I'm taking it easy this semester. Did any of you take comparative anat at OU? I thought the lab was a little tough, so I'm a little worried about the anat course in dent school.

Whats up. I am a first year at OU. Let me give everyone a real perspective of OU. Some of this stuff I am reading is hilarious that you guys have heard. I'll try to give you some truth. First off, anatomy is not that bad. They tried to scare me too. Just look at it every night. Whoever was talking about the "CD", you are misinformed. Just hang loose until the 2 years give you your orientation this summer. Our class has about 10 out of state in it. Any questions just pm me. Good luck to all of yall. -A

Austin1 said:
Whats up. I am a first year at OU. Let me give everyone a real perspective of OU. Some of this stuff I am reading is hilarious that you guys have heard. I'll try to give you some truth. First off, anatomy is not that bad. They tried to scare me too. Just look at it every night. Whoever was talking about the "CD", you are misinformed. Just hang loose until the 2 years give you your orientation this summer. Our class has about 10 out of state in it. Any questions just pm me. Good luck to all of yall. -A

Thanks for the info, A. I appreciate the info. Another other advice would be of great help also. :)

Austin1 said:

Hmm...good to hear. I look forward to sorting things out then.

dosocho said:

That's really weird because I received a letter stating I was #2 on the out of state alternate list. Are you sure it was #2 on the out of state list, or resident list. If so, did you get it in writing??? I'd be interested to know.

jdcinza13 said:
That's really weird because I received a letter stating I was #2 on the out of state alternate list. Are you sure it was #2 on the out of state list, or resident list. If so, did you get it in writing??? I'd be interested to know.

I am #2 on the resident alternate list...i just wasnt sure if they would accept residents in place of non residents since there are so many non residents..i would be interested to know how that works.

dosocho said:
I am #2 on the resident alternate list...i just wasnt sure if they would accept residents in place of non residents since there are so many non residents..i would be interested to know how that works.

To be honest, I think they are trying to get the out-of-state list to about 10. I think that they might fill out-of state drops with residents first.