Anyone applying with a Graduate Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodeomarie

UW c/o 2021
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
As I'm no longer in undergrad and now have pursued a graduate degree - I'm now considered a non-traditional student - YAY! ;)

With that said, I'm curious to know how many of you are in the same boat? And perhaps (those of you already in vet school) know roughly how many students with grad degrees apply vs. how many with one get in?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying with a MPH (awarded August 2015) this cycle. I've applied previous years as a graduate student but was not admitted, though I did interview last year at my in state.

Some schools publish what types of degrees incoming classes hold. For most schools, Master's and PhD's are the minority - like less than 10% of the class. As for the number of applicants vs. number admitted with graduate degrees, I am not aware of any school that posts those stats. I would love to know though. I imagine it's a mixed bag - some schools favor advanced degrees and extend special privileges like automatic interviews and others could not care less what degrees you have as long as your GPA and experience hours are well above average.

I'm applying this year and will have a PhD in a month. Yay the non-traditional route! I only decided within the past 1-2 years to pursue a career in veterinary medicine, so I'm hoping my research experience makes up for a lower amount of vet experience at some schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this year and will have a PhD in a month. Yay the non-traditional route! I only decided within the past 1-2 years to pursue a career in veterinary medicine, so I'm hoping my research experience makes up for a lower amount of vet experience at some schools.
That's great! What schools are you two applying to?!

I will get my masters degree this spring. I hope it helps me with this application cycle :rolleyes:

I finished my MS in December 2014 and I'm a 1st year right now. I think there's ~4 or 5 others in my class with a master's degree. It certainly helps in applying but it isn't a guaranteed in. There are quite a few other non-traditional students in my class that don't have graduate degrees, so I don't feel like the only old person

I have a master's as well, you're not alone!

I applied to Michigan State, Ohio State, Auburn, Virginia Regional, Penn, and NCSU! You?
Great! I'm aapplying to Wisconsin (IS), Mich State, U of Minn, Iowa, Ohio State, Washington & Oregon. So happy to hear there's others on here as well!

Sorry, more time today.

I am only applying to CSU (IS) and Wisconsin.

I'm a first year and I have a biology MS. There are several non trads in my class and at least 1 has a PhD, but I think there are actually 2. Several of us have masters. I do believe it can help as long as you do well as it shows you can handle upper level science classes (assuming it's a science related degree). Part of the reason that people with graduate degrees make up such a small percentage of admitted students, is that far fewer people with graduate degrees apply to vet school. Not many people get a PhD and then realize they want to torture themselves for 4 more years by going to vet school, but clearly is does happen!

Not many people get a PhD and then realize they want to torture themselves for 4 more years by going to vet school, but clearly is does happen!

This statement perfectly sums up the first thing anyone says to me when I tell them what I'm doing. And I sometimes think it myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be ME!!!!! Already have a MA and working on my MS in animals science. Doing the second master's because I am very determined to get into vet school!
Glad to see that I am not alone!

PS: I am applying for c/o 2021!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For my class there were at least 3 people with PhDs (I think there were 4), and if I remember correctly 30+ people with Master's degrees. I tried to find the info now, but it no longer seems to be published anymore for my class. I feel old.

We don't hear about it as often anymore here, but 'back in the day' we used to have thread after thread about getting master's degrees prior to applying to vet school. I can't remember the last time I saw a 'plan B' master program thread (1 year science master's program designed specifically for people who are not competitive for vet/med schools to prove they can handle a rigorous science curriculum).

I keep thinking about picking up another Master's. Right now I'm interested in an MS in Entomology. If I don't get into vet school again, I'll probably pursue that. If I do get into vet school, I'd like to at least consider doing a dual program.

I guess Im a bit concerned simply because of the fact that my undergrad wasn't the best due to academics taking the back seat with the loss of my dad. Since, Ive tried to repeat courses and took an MS but seem to get pretty discouraged considering that no matter what happens, undergrad/prereq gpas have always brought me down and cause me to not make it to the next round. So what's the point of getting a postbacc degree if only the "Last XYZ gpa" is considered when taking your Masters or PhD into account?

Does that makes sense?

I guess Im a bit concerned simply because of the fact that my undergrad wasn't the best due to academics taking the back seat with the loss of my dad. Since, Ive tried to repeat courses and took an MS but seem to get pretty discouraged considering that no matter what happens, undergrad/prereq gpas have always brought me down and cause me to not make it to the next round. So what's the point of getting a postbacc degree if only the "Last XYZ gpa" is considered when taking your Masters or PhD into account?

Does that makes sense?

I'd say it depends! I have the impression (you might want to check) that the vet schools would not take seminar courses and research credits into consideration for the last say 45 credits gpa. But if you take higher level undergrad science courses, they count.
I am also taking some 100 and 200 level undergrad courses in graduate school because I did not have them before. And I know it's such a pain to talk with your advisor and committee again and again to get their permissions.
Anyways good luck with it!

Me!! I finished all my coursework in the spring and just defended and submitted my written thesis last month so I will have my MS this December!

The problem I have is my cum gpa is low because my first two years of undergrad I thought I was a cool engineer but I realized I wasn't as cool as I thought and failed some classes. My grad gpa and my last 45 are awesome (as well as the gpa after I changed to microbio). Just sucks that schools only look at cum gpa and don't consider grad gpa at all (unless it is part of cum gpa). We should get more credit for taking grad classes, considering they are much more work that undergrad classes.

Me!! I finished all my coursework in the spring and just defended and submitted my written thesis last month so I will have my MS this December!

The problem I have is my cum gpa is low because my first two years of undergrad I thought I was a cool engineer but I realized I wasn't as cool as I thought and failed some classes. My grad gpa and my last 45 are awesome (as well as the gpa after I changed to microbio). Just sucks that schools only look at cum gpa and don't consider grad gpa at all (unless it is part of cum gpa). We should get more credit for taking grad classes, considering they are much more work that undergrad classes.
YES! I feel Im in a similar boat - undergrad wasnt the greatest but grad school was much much better. I fully agree with you! Best of luck through this process in hopes the schools will look past undergrad for us :)

YES! I feel Im in a similar boat - undergrad wasnt the greatest but grad school was much much better. I fully agree with you! Best of luck through this process in hopes the schools will look past undergrad for us :)
Best of luck to you, too! I tried to explain how I chose the wrong major when I first started out and once I switched I did so much better. I just hope they take that into consideration.

Pretty sure this is school-dependent. I would look into it more. I know some schools look at last-45 pretty highly, and I don't think UMN even looks at cum GPA at all.

Reactions: 2 users

Best of luck to you, too! I tried to explain how I chose the wrong major when I first started out and once I switched I did so much better. I just hope they take that into consideration.

Hey guys (@everybody), are these things that could be mentioned in a personal statement? Or is that not a place to talk about grades?

Hey guys (@everybody), are these things that could be mentioned in a personal statement? Or is that not a place to talk about grades?

Yes absolutely - however we must be able to get past the GPA calculations (usually the 1st phase) for them to read everything else as to the "why" :)

Yes absolutely - however we must be able to get past the GPA calculations (usually the 1st phase) for them to read everything else as to the "why" :)

Oh, I see.

So then at the most competitive schools, if you don't have good grades, they aren't even gonna give you a second thought?

Oh, I see.

So then at the most competitive schools, if you don't have good grades, they aren't even gonna give you a second thought?
For an extreme example, Davis looks at nothing else besides GPA, GRE, and PPI scores. If those numbers don't cut it, then you will likely not get an interview, and that's that. 1 or 2 years ago, one girl told me that admissions straight up didn't read any personal statements for the cycle she was accepted into. I'm not sure if they've changed the system since then, since it seems like a few very qualified applicants this cycle still did not get an interview. :shrug:

I would like to think that some of the other schools at least give your experiences and/or explanation statement a cursory glance before rejecting applications. But maybe that's just me trying to be optimistic about my own application, heh.

Would you recommend pursuing a Master's if you don't get accepted to a vet school after a few cycles, and trying again after the Master's is done? I wonder if this has been done before, or if it's even advisable to do it at all.

Some background, I applied for the first time this cycle and went with an all-or-nothing approach, applying to many schools in the hopes of being accepted somewhere. My original plan was to try to get a Master's degree before applying to make up for my undergrad GPA (weakest part of my application), but after debating pros and cons with my mentor, I ended up applying right away. I guess what I'm asking is whether going the Master's route is a good way to balance a low GPA, or whether there are other things I can do for that.

Would you recommend pursuing a Master's if you don't get accepted to a vet school after a few cycles, and trying again after the Master's is done? I wonder if this has been done before, or if it's even advisable to do it at all.

Some background, I applied for the first time this cycle and went with an all-or-nothing approach, applying to many schools in the hopes of being accepted somewhere. My original plan was to try to get a Master's degree before applying to make up for my undergrad GPA (weakest part of my application), but after debating pros and cons with my mentor, I ended up applying right away. I guess what I'm asking is whether going the Master's route is a good way to balance a low GPA, or whether there are other things I can do for that.
I applied my first time last year between my first year and second year of my MS. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference gpa-wise. BUT you can add that research experience, and if you are lucky enough to do research where you are interacting with animals, that would definitely look good on your application. It really just depends on your experiences.

I applied my first time last year between my first year and second year of my MS. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference gpa-wise. BUT you can add that research experience, and if you are lucky enough to do research where you are interacting with animals, that would definitely look good on your application. It really just depends on your experiences.
Well, as far as research experience in general, I have a good amount of that already and I'm currently doing research now, in my gap year. If that's the only pro to doing a Master's before applying, then maybe that's not the best way to go for me. One of my professors made it a huge point to emphasize that experience will not necessarily make up for GPA, as much as I would like it to.

You can watch and see what happens with me. 4th application cycle, 1st I was an alternate slot with WSU, next 2 times were no, just finished a MS as I apply for round 4. Crap undergrad grades, pretty good MS grades. We'll see.

Reactions: 3 users
You can watch and see what happens with me. 4th application cycle, 1st I was an alternate slot with WSU, next 2 times were no, just finished a MS as I apply for round 4. Crap undergrad grades, pretty good MS grades. We'll see.
Ditto!

Best of luck to you both! And thank you for the input.

I'm the one who wrote the whole "Goatie's got milk" song. (On the Wisconsin thread)

I'm the one who wrote the whole "Goatie's got milk" song. (On the Wisconsin thread)
Excellent! That is my IS, so selfishly I hope we get in there together - I presume from your profile you are pursuing LA as well?

Excellent! That is my IS, so selfishly I hope we get in there together - I presume from your profile you are pursuing LA as well?
I would love to do mixed practice, but keep getting told I'll be forced to go down one of 4 roads: equine, bovine, SA, or exotics. I wanna do it all... but if reality does bite than bovine/caprine leaning heavy on dairy would be the goal. I have a ton of SA and exotics experience, and it would suck to "throw that out the window" but over and over again I keep getting told there is no way to do it all. Meh, we'll see what happens. :)

I would love to do mixed practice, but keep getting told I'll be forced to go down one of 4 roads: equine, bovine, SA, or exotics. I wanna do it all... but if reality does bite than bovine/caprine leaning heavy on dairy would be the goal. I have a ton of SA and exotics experience, and it would suck to "throw that out the window" but over and over again I keep getting told there is no way to do it all. Meh, we'll see what happens. :)
Thats the beauty of vet school - you dont have to decide now definitively you can use your summer breaks through more specific experiences (&depending on the material we learn) what may suit you best!

I will graduate in May 2016 with a Master's degree. I went for an MPH following the advice of a veterinary pathologist for whom I worked. It is true, a well-networked MPH will open up career paths even if I don't make it in this year. At least one manager for whom I worked in a research institution was a fresh-out-of-college MPH grad. Honestly, the MPH is the only reason I'll have a competitive GPA.

I have a question based on a trend that I've noticed on this forum.

I often hear people say that their masters GPA is better than their undergrad GPA. But masters classes are harder, right? Why are people getting better GPAs with their masters? Is it because they were experienced students when they started the masters program?

I often hear people say that their masters GPA is better than their undergrad GPA. But masters classes are harder, right? Why are people getting better GPAs with their masters? Is it because they were experienced students when they started the masters program?

In my experience I've found that my Master's classes had more work to do, but in general, the professors marked things easier, and because they are usually small in size, everyone tends to do well.

I've found a common theme that because Graduate courses both Masters and PhD/Dr are more topic-specific, towards what you are interested in. I myself have enjoyed pursuing a Masters simply for that reason; I would get 2 or 3 if I could have avoided getting a Bachelors hahaha. Ive met a lot of now friends that did better academically in vet school for the same reason - the content is more specific to your passion.

Reactions: 1 users
It really depends on the program. The graduate program I'm in has a very intense workload and requires a deep understanding in everything. Every semester a few people are put on academic probation and are at risk for getting kicked out of the program. Any grade below a B will not count towards your degree in my program. I look at it like boot-camp before vet school.

Reactions: 1 users
Graduate courses are a lot more intensive. Every single course I took required a term paper and an oral presentation. The courses are a lot more than just memorization like undergrad classes. You really have to think critically about the topics. All my exams were essay type. No multiple choice or fill in the blank. If you are in a grad program thet expect you to keep and A/B average. Cs will get you kicked out. So between all my coursework and my research and all the stuff I was doing with organizations and volunteering I was pretty busy.
I guess it depends on the school and program but TAMU grad classes are pretty intense and they don't give you any slack. You are in a grad program so you should be able to handle everything.

So then in a masters program, if you get below a B, you basically failed that class. It seems like getting a masters is A LOT more stressful than getting a bachelors.

So then in a masters program, if you get below a B, you basically failed that class. It seems like getting a masters is A LOT more stressful than getting a bachelors.
Well I think you get probation with one or two Cs but you can't have more than that. Most Masters or PhD students get funded by a grant that pays a stipend and sometimes tuition, and they require you to keep a certain gpa usually 3.3 or 3.5. It is supposed to be more stressful than undergrad. You are going more in depth in fewer topics than undergrad. The whole point of a grad degree is to become an expert in your chosen field.

Well I think you get probation with one or two Cs but you can't have more than that. Most Masters or PhD students get funded by a grant that pays a stipend and sometimes tuition, and they require you to keep a certain gpa usually 3.3 or 3.5. It is supposed to be more stressful than undergrad. You are going more in depth in fewer topics than undergrad. The whole point of a grad degree is to become an expert in your chosen field.

I guess this explains why it's so much easier to get into a bachelors program than one for a masters.

I guess this explains why it's so much easier to get into a bachelors program than one for a masters.
Yes, and for various reasons. I don't know about all schools and programs but for my school you are required to find funding either thru a grant or thru a prof who has money to support you before you can even apply. And they are very competitive, too. The agencies giving the grants are not going to waste their money on students who aren't interested in becoming a published member of the scientific community. Grad degrees are definitely not for those who are not intetested or committe to spending years on novel research to expand the knowledge in their field. I think it is super cool when you graduate though. They shake your hand and congratulate you on becoming their colleague/equal. :)

Yes, and for various reasons. I don't know about all schools and programs but for my school you are required to find funding either thru a grant or thru a prof who has money to support you before you can even apply. And they are very competitive, too. The agencies giving the grants are not going to waste their money on students who aren't interested in becoming a published member of the scientific community. Grad degrees are definitely not for those who are not intetested or committe to spending years on novel research to expand the knowledge in their field. I think it is super cool when you graduate though. They shake your hand and congratulate you on becoming their colleague/equal. :)

I had no idea that a masters program could require funding. I always thought all the money came out of the student's pocket (probably in the form of loans.)

When a student has funding, do they also pay for their schooling?

There are definitely still mixed practices out there. Maybe you can't do everything but you can still have a variety if you find the right place!