Anyone else freakin' cuz your interviews are too late for an acceptance?O_o

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mota, you better be the first post!

Members don't see this ad.

Just read about this in the your other thread, gd. I'll join: 5 interviews. Had 1 interview in mid-october at UWSOM (currently swimming in their competitive pool). Have 4 more coming up, but they're all in January. I'm a little anxious from hearing the "if you interview after the holiday break, you are probably interviewing for the waitlist" rumor. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
another reason why i love gdbaby.

by the way, ME. 4 interviews. all in january though. killer. but i'm keepin this thread alive til the day i die. or get an acceptance. whichever comes first.

-mota

btw, were you drunk when you wrote the title for this thread?
-mota

DaMota said:
another reason why i love gdbaby.
Yes, my lemming-like quality is so endearing.

Yup. IF i get any more interviews, they will definitely be in January or later. This could truly suck. But, hey, a little more neurosis, a little more hypertension, a little less sleep... what the hey! It's all good... :D

gdbaby said:
Yes, my lemming-like quality is so endearing.

hahaah
where did the eyes go?? its all about the eyes..fly lemming fly.
-mota

DaMota said:
hahaah
where did the eyes go?? its all about the eyes..fly lemming fly.
-mota
Too many characters in the title. Let me think about this one...

gdbaby said:
Too many characters in the title. Let me think about this one...

lol. now you dropped the anyone else part.

how about "anyone else unconfident about being accepted because their intervews are late? o_O"

-mota

i'm a bit nervous...i haven't gotten any UC invites yet, and i'm assuming if i do they will all be in january...you just have to work harder to wow the pants off of them.

good luck all

man, who started this rumor about "if you interview after the holidays you're probably interviewing for the waitlist spots"? I keep being told that I'm just halfway through the season and that I'll get a January/February Blizzard. Are my friends (my boyfriend and his medical school classmates) just pulling my leg? I am afraid I'm stuck on three and won't get anymore, but it seems like SDN folks are a little too pessimistic. And what's wrong with getting a spot on the waitlist? I guess it means more waiting. But it also means a little more hope (and torture).

But here's a story: a neurologist I work with said that he didn't get in anywhere at first, sat on the waitlist at 3 schools, got mad and went to St. Maarten, only to come home and find 3 acceptances, 3 days in a row, with the last one on the day before classes started. He accepted, and commuted to class the next day at UMDNJ.
He told me that story as encouragement, I think, but it just made me smack my head and say "doh! I'm never going to survive this wait!" I should just go to St. Maarten now.

DaMota said:
by the way, ME. 4 interviews. all in january though.

Woah, I drift out of my SDN obsession for a little while and now you have four interviews?? That is way too frickin' cool! Congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Risa said:
Woah, I drift out of my SDN obsession for a little while and now you have four interviews?? That is way too frickin' cool! Congrats!!!

thanks risa- i'm kinda baffled by it to tell you the truth.

btw- you're a sweetheart from turning down those interviews after your pitt acceptance. congrats on that too. i have a good friend who's an MS1 at pitt and she loves it (except for the times that she tells me to not go to med school ;) )

this thread's pretty f-ing cool huh?
-mota

i sure do hope this january waitlist thing is just a rumor... most of my interviews are in jan. i think lots of august mcaters' interviews are in jan.

Yes, I have an acceptance, but since I made this damn thread (per Mota's request--I am his servant) I am jumping on. No word from Colorado, so the earliest I could interview there is late January. I can only hope many of the OOSers will get multiple acceptances and rescind CU's offer.

On that note, best of luck to all of you!

gdbaby said:
Mota, you better be the first post!

They are NOT too late! C'mon, guys! I know someone that didn't get accepted til JULY 1st!! Crazy, I know... But just hang in there. Plenty of time....

Orthodoc40 said:
They are NOT too late! C'mon, guys! I know someone that didn't get accepted til JULY 1st!! Crazy, I know... But just hang in there. Plenty of time....

much appreciated. but they are kinda late...

so who fills up their classes first, rolling or non-rolling schools? i don't really get the whole things.
-mota

It would seem to me that rolling schools would fill up first, but I am no expert. I would love to meet some of the actuaries who devised this application scheme: how many to invite, how many to reject, how many are going to accept your offer, how many are going to decline, how many will keep you dangling until the deadline....

It does seem like more of the rolling schools recommend applying early vs the non-rolling. Cripes, I don't know. Why am I trying to answer this question? Why am I still typing?

gdbaby said:
Why am I trying to answer this question? Why am I still typing?
Is this a riddle? Riddles are cool. Moving on...
Oh, and the answer is "to avoid other sundry work tasks".

desiredusername said:
Is this a riddle? Riddles are cool. Moving on...
Oh, and the answer is "to avoid other sundry work tasks".
Aaaah yes! I should be preparing for my presentation on the synthesis of 9,10-pentacosadiene, but instead I try to answer questions that are outside of my scope of knnowledge (like my presentation!).

Forget your presentation. Start presenting and then go off on a tangent. Tell them that they will be tested on the stuff you didn't get to present but they'll have to learn it on their own. I used to work for a professor who pulled that **** all the time. He was a huge ass. You can be that ass!
Or, there was my Orgo prof, who tested us on new material she would present during review sessions the evening before the test. Damn you, Karen Wooley!

desiredusername said:
You can be that ass!
QUOTE]
Unfortunately, I am the student in this scenario so it is to my advantage to stay on task, keep talking quickly and get through the presentation fast so that people are too overwhelmed to ask questions that I cannot answer. Plus, I would choose a pert ass over a large one anyday!

gdbaby said:
desiredusername said:
You can be that ass!
QUOTE]
Unfortunately, I am the student in this scenario so it is to my advantage to stay on task, keep talking quickly and get through the presentation fast so that people are too overwhelmed to ask questions that I cannot answer. Plus, I would choose a pert ass over a large one anyday!

one piece of advice. at the end of the presentation when you have to ask if anyone has questions, just look at your watch, check your cell phone, readjust your position, look past all the people with their hands up and say 'anybody? really? no questions? ok see you all next time' and then run out as quickly as possible. works every time.
-mota

DaMota said:
gdbaby said:
one piece of advice. at the end of the presentation when you have to ask if anyone has questions, just look at your watch, check your cell phone, readjust your position, look past all the people with their hands up and say 'anybody? really? no questions? ok see you all next time' and then run out as quickly as possible. works every time.
-mota
Ha! There are only four of us in the class! Do you think I can still do it? Maybe if I start packing up my stuff while I am asking about questions?

gdbaby said:
DaMota said:
Ha! There are only four of us in the class! Do you think I can still do it? Maybe if I start packing up my stuff while I am asking about questions?

hmm..only four. that makes the situation a little trickier. how about this:

gd: "any questions?"
(3 second pause)
gd: "meteor shower!!"
(as your un out of the room flailing your arms)
-mota

Myself, with only four in the class, I prefer the "stare 'em down until they forget their question" technique.

LucidSplash said:
Just to answer the question of the thread title....

Definitely a little nauseous and over-anxious. I will reserve freaking for around February.

in the meantime become a subscriber to this thread. i'm keeping it alive til i get in somewhere (med school/mental ward)
-mota

gd, we've got 800 posts in ~20 hours. hopefully we'll have 1000 by the 24 hour mark.

-mota

stop calling me a psycopath. yes, you. a-hole.

DaMota said:
gd, we've got 800 posts in ~20 hours. hopefully we'll have 1000 by the 24 hour mark.

-mota

stop calling me a psycopath. yes, you. a-hole.
Let me add to the tally. Just finished my presentation and may I say that some ass kicking on my part was performed. I beautifully explained conjugation buffer of the allene system makes it so the terminal carbons can be percieved as chiral. Then I shouted "Shoe Sale" and everyone went running. This class has some nice footwear.

So, for as popular as my posts have become, I never get any stars. Let's rate this bitch-hog a 5-star success!

5 stars baby.
-mota

Bumping so we can get 1000 views in 24 hours (okay a bit more than 24, but close)!

this thread is so hot right now.
-mota

gdbaby said:
Bumping so we can get 1000 views in 24 hours (okay a bit more than 24, but close)!

btw...i wish i had applied to iowa. lets both get into loyola or something? sound good? see you there.
-mota

you two are my favorite sdners. keep up the good work!

Risa said:
you two are my favorite sdners. keep up the good work!

risa..don't make me e-blush. please. if you really like us you'll click on the link 54 times so we make it to 1000 hits. what do you say? you're already accepted to like 12 schools right? ;)
-mota

DaMota said:
btw...i wish i had applied to iowa. lets both get into loyola or something? sound good? see you there.
-mota
Yes, perhaps if I call Stritch and tell them that I just rented a house in Oak Park they will feel obligated to let me in. I think you and I applied to a few of the same schools, GW too right?

gdbaby said:
Yes, perhaps if I call Stritch and tell them that I just rented a house in Oak Park they will feel obligated to let me in. I think you and I applied to a few of the same schools, GW too right?

ya...lets write identical update letters and see what happens. it might be kinda weird talking about how i gave birth like a year ago but maybe that'll intrigue them enough to give me an interview?
-mota

DaMota said:
ya...lets write identical update letters and see what happens. it might be kinda weird talking about how i gave birth like a year ago but maybe that'll intrigue them enough to give me an interview?
-mota
HA! Yes, we must definitely go to school together!

DaMota said:
-mota

:laugh: You guys are too funny! Keepin' me entertained though. Keep up the good work!

a neurologist....acceptances....with the last one on the day before classes started.

A pulmonologist I work with got into Loyola LAST MINUTE! I believe he was interviewed a crazy 2 weeks before classes started or something...and he lived in CA when he was applying. Hey folks, it CAN and DOES happen! And, all the schools I have talked to say they are backlogged this year (due to a higher # of applicants :eek:) and that is holding up the process. Rumor has it that one particular school does not want to follow the "After Jan 1st you are on the waitlist rule" as they did that previous years and were upset when they had nothing but waitlist spots to offer great applicants who applied later in the game.

KEEP YOUR CHINS UP PEOPLE! :oops:

Also remember I am living proof that all it takes is ONE interview. I am shooting for 2 for 2 this Friday at Creighton. Other than that, Mota nad I are on hold together at GW, which is a lot less fun than Mota and I holding each other at GW.

Thanks for all the nice comments about me and that crazy dude from Berkeley. The key to staying so virtually popular is to never post on any threads that always lead to inevitable destruction: topics like URM status, socialized medicine, abortion, how do you feel about....I like to get a feel for people before I divulge my opinions about hot topics. That way nobody can say "Gee, I like that gdbaby, but man he opinions about Roth IRA's are whacked!"

timmaaaaaaayyyy!...you are my favorite south park character.

as i countdown the days the days til my first interview, i must come up with things to distract myself. i'd like to open up this forum to debate the merits of peanut butter. as you all know, if you are human, you like peanut butter. but what i wanna know is just what KIND of pb you enjoy the most.

super chunk - MOTA!!!!
chunky
creamy
organic (ew..)

i'll tell you guys which kind i like most later.
p.s. gdbaby- GW called, they said "mr. mota...you're crazy. we like you...but you're craaaazy"

-mota

DaMota said:

as i countdown the days the days til my first interview, i must come up with things to distract myself. i'd like to open up this forum to debate the merits of peanut butter. as you all know, if you are human, you like peanut butter. but what i wanna know is just what KIND of pb you enjoy the most.

super chunk - MOTA!!!!
chunky
creamy
organic (ew..)

i'll tell you guys which kind i like most later.
p.s. gdbaby- GW called, they said "mr. mota...you're crazy. we like you...but you're craaaazy"

-mota

i'm a chunky organic girl. :)

oops, i just realized how bad that sounded. if i keep on eating the pb, i'll probably be there.

TimmyTheWonderD said:
A pulmonologist I work with got into Loyola LAST MINUTE! I believe he was interviewed a crazy 2 weeks before classes started or something...and he lived in CA when he was applying. Hey folks, it CAN and DOES happen! And, all the schools I have talked to say they are backlogged this year (due to a higher # of applicants :eek:) and that is holding up the process. Rumor has it that one particular school does not want to follow the "After Jan 1st you are on the waitlist rule" as they did that previous years and were upset when they had nothing but waitlist spots to offer great applicants who applied later in the game.

KEEP YOUR CHINS UP PEOPLE! :oops:

really? that gives me a glimmer of hope.
at this point, with 5 rejections and just one interview, i am beginning to think that there is seriously something wrong with my application. what? what?? my essays? did one of my LOR writers put something bad in there?
it's driving me nuts.

bubbleyum said:
really? that gives me a glimmer of hope.
at this point, with 5 rejections and just one interview, i am beginning to think that there is seriously something wrong with my application. what? what?? my essays? did one of my LOR writers put something bad in there?
it's driving me nuts.

maybe sending in a naughty picture for your 2X2 wasn't such a good idea after all.
-mota

DaMota said:
maybe sending in a naughty picture for your 2X2 wasn't such a good idea after all.
-mota

dang it, i thought that was a pro not a con.

DaMota said:

I wanna know is just what KIND of pb you enjoy the most.

Someone else on these boards told me my avatar gave them nightmares!

Timmmaaaaaayyyyyyy likes Trader Joe's "better 'n peanut butter", it has the same great PB taste with only 2gms of fat! I AM A FREAK! :p

Even though I run everyday and watch what I eat my metabolism will not allow me to eat regular PB without paying serious consequences!