SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone else getting butthurt at Physical Therapists saying they are "doctors"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kingsmen2018, Dec 25, 2017.

1. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    Whereas anyone with a doctorate can be called "doctor" in any non-clinical setting, calling non-physicians Doctor in a hospital or clinic gives patients misinformation. In many clinical settings (including mine) calling anyone who is not an MD, or DO (or dentist) by this honorific is strictly against policy.

PashaOdesit, chemdoctor, Goro and 2 others like this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Foxy. 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2016
    As I said before, anyone with a doctorate may refer to themselves as Dr. Whatever when they are in a non-clinical setting. If someone really wants to get an online doctorate so that they can make a reservation under Dr. Insecure, that's fine with me. The point of the argument is that they are trying to refer to themselves as Dr. Lastname in a CLINICAL setting. I don't care if you add "nurse practitioner" into it (i.e., Doctor of Nursing Practice Lastname), it is still dishonest. When a patient hears "Dr. Lastname," they assume they are talking with a physician. Anyone else using that title is misleading that patient.

I have no qualms with someone getting a DNP and calling themselves Dr. Whatever in the classroom or at home.

They have a doctorate and can use the honorific in a non-clinical setting. That doesn't make them doctors.

DPTinthemaking15 likes this.
  4. Veni vidi vicii

Veni vidi vicii

Nov 1, 2017
    I'm saying the same thing. Read the entire thing. You quoted a snapshot of something I said which is technically true and what I used to follow up is exactly what you're saying.

5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    I did.
    My comment is a clarification for those who may not have followed the whole (convoluted) thread.

Goro, Veni vidi vicii and libertyyne like this.
  6. Veni vidi vicii

Veni vidi vicii

Nov 1, 2017
    We are essentially saying the same thing and I'm glad we discussed this. You're 100% right it is a form of dishonesty because it is misleading. I was just saying technically they are doctors, but in modern times doctor means physician so obviously they shouldn't even call themselves doctors when orally communicating.

Matthew9Thirtyfive likes this.
  7. Veni vidi vicii

Veni vidi vicii

Nov 1, 2017
    Good idea. I see how it can be confusing. Especially in this day and age where people overlook nuances and tiny details. To be honest I didn't think I'd benefit from this thread but it's always nice to see how people think and you guys are 100% right. It is a form of dishonesty when someone refers to themselves as a doctor when in fact they aren't. It would be depressing to see a physical therapist refer to themselves as a doctor instead of PT.

What my contention is that the wheel is slowly turning. By that I mean NP's are getting doctorate degrees, which will lead them to believe they are on par with someone as a physician and soon enough the value of an MD will slowly deteriorate just like a taxi medallion because of uber in NYC. Some nurses already have egos and think they are overworked, the doctorate degree will just be the cherry on the icing. Obviously, not all nurses, but this can soon become a huge problem, if not already.

8. Goro

Goro Faculty 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    I am wondering how many people in this thread are pissing and moaning about the use of the term "doctor " because of a mindset that this should be only used for God's anointed, vs those who are honestly worried about patients being confused, like the wise gyngyn .

cactusman and amlope03 like this.
  9. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Not sure, but I personally don’t care if a DNP calls herself Dr. on her tax forms or in a classroom.

10. Goro

Jun 10, 2010
    But in the clinic???

11. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    I’ve seen a DNP introduce herself to patients as Dr. Lastname and then contradict what the patient’s surgeon told them. As far as the patient knew, another doctor is telling her to ignore something her surgeon said—but it was actually just a midlevel that worked for same day.

So no, they should not use the term doctor in clinic. That word in a clinical setting is assumed to mean physician. I have no problem seeing a PA or an NP, but I want to know that’s who I’m seeing.

libertyyne likes this.
  12. Goro

Jun 10, 2010
    So at least you are concerned about patient safety. Other people complaining in this thread? I wonder.

Although the "just a midelvel"...that also is telling.

13. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Don’t read too much into that. I take my daughters to see an FNP whom we love. No hate for midlevels who practice within their scope. I did midlevel care too.

14. libertyyne

libertyyne 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2015
    I think a good gauge of this is pharmacy. They have doctorates, they dont go around telling people in clinic that they are doctors. Outside of a hospital I will call you what ever you want me to call you. And obviously I call all my professors who are PHD's doctor because they are, they earned the right to be called doctor however this is outside the hospital patient care setting.

freak7 and Matthew9Thirtyfive like this.
  15. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Exactly. I called my Shakespeare professor “doctor.” The term isn’t specific to physicians except in a clinical setting.

16. meningealworm

meningealworm

Oct 22, 2017
    Just curious.....what are your feelings on veterinarians? I get the impression that there are people who feel that only physicians should be allowed to use the title of doctor.

17. libertyyne

Mar 5, 2015
    Why on earth wouldnt Vets be called doctor. They are doctors, but vets dont show up in human clinic and interact with patients either .

18. DPTinthemaking15

DPTinthemaking15

Oct 21, 2016
    Take this for what its worth... I used to be in a DPT program and a few of my classmates were already gearing up for everyone to call them "Doctors." One guy told me "Yeah, everyone is going to call me Dr. McButtSpasm, because I will earn the right to do so." To combat this, a few of my professors in the PT program completely agreed that the term Dr. should NOT be used in a hospital setting, because it really does confuse the patient.

For example, my mom barely obtained a high school degree and she has issues differentiating between NP's, PA's, and MD/DO's. If a person walks in with a white coat on, she assumes they are the doctor. Likewise, if they state their name as Dr. _____ my mom will assume they are the physician in charge (This has happened on MULTIPLE occasions). I know my mom is not the only patient out there that goes through the same issues. Anyways, when I become a physician I intend on giving DPT's, DNP's, DPM's, etc. the same respect, because they earned their doctorate degree.

19. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    While simultaneously not referring to them as doctor in the hospital, right?

DPTinthemaking15 likes this.
  20. DPTinthemaking15

DPTinthemaking15

Oct 21, 2016
    Crap... You got me. :laugh: I'll just avoid them altogether in the hospital *walks briskly past the rehab facility*

ekmf27050 likes this.
  21. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    It’s against policy in a lot of hospitals to call anyone doctor who isn’t a physician. It’s like that for a reason. As you said, it confuses patients. It’s not disrespectful to refer to a DPT as a physical therapist or a DNP as a nurse practitioner.

22. DPTinthemaking15

DPTinthemaking15

Oct 21, 2016
    Very true. I hate it because I know obtaining those degrees aren't easy per se, but like you said, patients are confused as heck. I know some folks would disagree, but they need to have an encounter with my mom lol. Anyways, I could rant about this for hours, because I wished the PT degree was still a BS or Master's degree. But I guess you can't get everything you want lol.

23. Goro

Jun 10, 2010
    There was a thread not too long ago about this! Poster reported about one of God's anointed getting pissed off when he went to the vet for his pet and the vet was referred to as "Dr Jones".

24. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Out of curiosity, is this a term you use for physicians in general or just the ones who think having the MD makes them holier than thou? I’ve been assuming the latter, but you never know.

25. Goro

Jun 10, 2010

26. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Thought so!

27. Tyrone.

Tyrone. Y'all got any more of them acceptance letters? Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Nov 25, 2016
    Neverland Ranch
    The have their doctorate. We call them doctor because that is what they are. Not Physician, but doctor. Where it starts to get gray is when DNP or DSc-PA’s say they are doctor so and so. That distinguishment should be held outside of a clinical setting and moreso in academic.. as that is really the only reason to have a doctorate and their position; to teach or hold a higher position than just in clinic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amlope03, Matthew9Thirtyfive and Goro like this.
  28. JKGarv

JKGarv

Aug 30, 2016
    I think it's OK for DPM's to call themselves doctor in a clinical setting? Maybe its a grey area.

29. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Yeah, I meant DPTs and DNPs. Pods have completed a professional medical program and in the states I’ve lived in are legally allowed to call themselves podiatric physicians.

GypsyHummus likes this.
  30. libertyyne

Mar 5, 2015
  31. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    OWO and libertyyne like this.
  32. GypsyHummus

GypsyHummus 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2011
    In America, I would hope most people considers Podiatrists who have gone through all the schooling (7+ years) a physician, especially when that have that big long scalpel ready to do an incision!

Like the DO degree, podiatry means something diff outside America.

Kingsmen2018 likes this.
  33. libertyyne

Mar 5, 2015
  34. Dr.Sticks

Dr.Sticks 2+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2014
    If they have a doctorate they have a doctorate...
    I called the NP I visited before Dr.X..
    The NP also had a PhD though

Besides, I am not a doctor or a PhD so it doesn't matter to me..

Except for Naturopaths, I will outright refuse to consider a naturopath a doctor..

I won't go near a naturpathic clinic either, nope..

But as far as if the DNP, the Doctor of Physical therapy or whoever else should or should not be called Doctor or what have ya, technically they have a doctorate and so formally are to be addressed as Dr._____

Who am I to tell someone what their title is?
    Heck, I haven't even gotten my B.S yet, my opinion is moot.

35. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Yeah, I've worked with a few of them. I'll call anyone who does surgery like that doctor lol.

36. Dr.Sticks

Dr.Sticks 2+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2014
  37. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    In non-clinical settings, I agree. In the clinical setting, it confuses patients. We are here to take care of patients, not stroke our egos.

Isoval likes this.
  38. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    It's only like 40 bucks to become a lord. If I wasn't afraid it would mess with my security clearance, I'd do it.

freak7 likes this.
  39. Dr.Sticks

Dr.Sticks 2+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Their title is clear on their badge, and the forums.
    Never been confused by a DNP, in fact you are usually told you will be seeing the DNP and not the doctor.

40. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    You're not most patients. An enormous number of patients--the majority, I'd say--are easily confused. I have seen patients refer to PAs and NPs as the doctor even when they don't introduce themselves that way. I've seen a patient call an anesthesia tech a doctor. I've seen patients call doctors nurses or orderlies.

Most patients are not as well educated as you, and most of them don't understand what the different roles are. Like it or not, the physician is the quarterback. NPs and PAs have an important role, but when you have an NP going to patients and introducing themself as Dr. Lastname, that gets unnecessarily confusing to patients (and their doctors, when the patient says "the doctor" told me X and everyone is trying to figure out who told them that). When a DNP who works in the surgical department introduces herself as Dr. Lastname and tells patients her own opinion on their care, sometimes contradicting their physicians, that is dangerous.

41. Dr.Sticks

Dr.Sticks 2+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2014
    I think the lab coats confuse a lot of people too
    Everyone has a lab coat uncluding the phlebotomist

That is why I like what Mayo does, the suits.

Who doesn't want to wear s 3 piece suit every day?

42. libertyyne

Mar 5, 2015
    having worn one for a few years I can tell you it isnt as glamorous as you would think. Plus you are probably gonna get MRSA on all your nice suits that can only be dry cleaned.

Isoval and Matthew9Thirtyfive like this.
  43. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Agreed. I like the fleece that has your name embroidered. Comfy and looks nice.

44. Husky12

Husky12 2+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Ok but what about that contestant on the Bachelorette last season that was calling himself a “chiropractic physician”?

45. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Jan 10, 2016
    Cringe.

Govols22, Isoval, GypsyHummus and 3 others like this.
  46. Oxymoron

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

47. libertyyne

Mar 5, 2015
    That's up there with cathopathic physician. Natropathic physican.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM
  48. Husky12

Husky12 2+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2013
    It gets better though. There was an actual family practice MD on that season but his stated profession was “tickle monster.” Isn’t reality TV the best?

49. altblue

altblue 2+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2014
    accp

It's like the ultimate SDN troll-job.

50. GypsyHummus

GypsyHummus 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2011
    No kidding, thought this was a joke and thought it was about Cats.

altblue likes this.
  51. Durty-Trixxx

Durty-Trixxx

Jan 21, 2018
    In all 50 states, a chiro-quacker should lose his/her license for a whole year for saying that.