Anyone else planning on enjoying life in medschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think planning on alcohol use is the right mentality for med school. Pretending to be somebody else gets women frustrated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
less than half of 3rd year really sucks. Surg, IM, L&D on OB and maybe IP peds. All of psych and fm, most of peds, and about half of OB I lived a normal, well-adjusted life

Okay so I'm curious. Why is L&D bad? From other SDN posts it looks like it's basically you have a lot of free time/boredom and then the occasional delivery. Are you not allowed to use your free time to say study for the boards? If they didn't let you study/read/do something else while waiting then I could see how bad it could be (I hate being bored out of my mind).

Okay so I'm curious. Why is L&D bad? From other SDN posts it looks like it's basically you have a lot of free time/boredom and then the occasional delivery. Are you not allowed to use your free time to say study for the boards? If they didn't let you study/read/do something else while waiting then I could see how bad it could be (I hate being bored out of my mind).

It's mainly the hours. For us nights were from 6PM to 8AM. We got to leave after morning report. 14 hour shifts just suck and it messes up your sleep schedule. Days were 6AM to 6PM but we also had to round on patients before morning report.

How many deliveries you do is all luck, sometimes it's really busy, sometimes it's not but the way ours was set up was that half of the floor was for deliveries and the other half for acute complaints for those under 20 weeks I think. So the L&D people had to cover that as well, you could have a busy night where you never sit down and not have one delivery.

Obviously it varies by med school and even by attending/resident but only Surg had worse hours than L&D.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do so many people dislike MS2? If you remove Step 1 from the equation, is it still "worse" or any more difficult that MS1?

Yes. Same level of difficulty, 5X more material to learn. Still way better than M3 year

Why do so many people dislike MS2? If you remove Step 1 from the equation, is it still "worse" or any more difficult that MS1?

We started our MS2 material in the last 10 weeks of MS1 (so we did Cardio and Lung block with Path, Physio, and Pharm components). Definitely more material.....or....well... not necessarily more material, but you need to know it in much more depth. Exams are harder and much more specific/nit-picky than MS1 exams. You need to know a lot of specific details and even though our blocks are only 3-4 weeks long (12 lectures/week), there is an insane amount of material in there to learn. I feel as though you could know MS1 material in a more general sense and still do well enough to pass exams. Not the case for MS2 stuff.

Having said that, I enjoyed it more. At least in our system, with block scheduling you do one organ system at a time. The rest of MS1 was a bunch of random classes with different topics taken concurrently, so there was a lot of juggling. I like having one topic/system to concentrate on at a time. Our school also integrates it with the Practice of Medicine course, so we learn clinical skills related to the organ system, do case discussions, etc. You start to feel more like a real med student/doctor and the material becomes way more interesting once you see it applied to clinical medicine. MS2 ramps up though with concurrent boards studying. From what others have told me, it's good to study boards material concurrently with MS2 material....as there will be a lot they won't cover and it's better to cover say....all the obscure lung cancers during your lung block than in the 4 weeks before Step 1.

At my school M2 just had much more material and many more exams. I didn't hate it but it's still the worst year of med school IMO

I think it's important to keep in mind that it varies a lot by school...

At my school M2>>>>> M1, but at my best friend's school...not so much. Her M1 year seemed like a joke compared to mine. I may be bias, but I also believe that schools that haven't done much curriculum "revamping" in recent years suck more too. Traditional curriculum can be a huge time suck if you do what you're "supposed" to do, but my life became infinitely better when I just stopped sitting through 50 minutes of an instructor reading verbatim from slides they possibly didn't even write.

I also had absolutely no idea how to study before M1. I never really had to study much and didn't keep up with material in college etc. The hardest part of this year for me was figuring out what was the most efficient use of my time. Like another poster said, the material in med student is not difficult. The amount of material is just unreal...at least for us during M1. I hear our M2s had more time than they knew what to do with...until boards that is :scared:

All that being said...it's certainly possibly to have a life in medical school. I would work on trying to find the balance between keeping your options fairly open and maintaining your sanity.