AOA vs. ACGME match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KVBane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year DO student, and I was wondering what the differences that you people value more when choosing whether to match AOA or ACGME?

Assuming that location doesn't matter, and you can match into the specialty with both, why choose one over the other (i.e. If you could do EM, why choose AOA or ACGME).

Im just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a second year DO student, and I was wondering what the differences that you people value more when choosing whether to match AOA or ACGME?

Assuming that location doesn't matter, and you can match into the specialty with both, why choose one over the other (i.e. If you could do EM, why choose AOA or ACGME).

Im just curious.
I think there are so many specialty specific aspects to this that it's hard to answer with a simple answer. EM for one example is largely 3 year programs in ACGME vs the AOA programs which are (I believe) entirely 4 years.

For anesthesia, the ACGME programs are generally higher acuity and more variety in your training, which I felt was important.

Location may turn out to be a big deal. Being that ACGME has more programs, it will give you more flexibility on where you train location wise, especially if you are looking out west.

Last edited:
Might not be a AOA match for you. If there are any programs left they're probably not going to be the stronger ones.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
as a second year, you wont be applying to aoa programs because of the merger unless you are doing a prelim or tri for an advanced residency placement.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

as a second year, you wont be applying to aoa programs because of the merger unless you are doing a prelim or tri for an advanced residency placement.

If the merger goes into full effect in 2020, and I will be applying for the 2019 residency class, wouldn't I be applying to the AOA?

If the merger goes into full effect in 2020, and I will be applying for the 2019 residency class, wouldn't I be applying to the AOA?
I think there will still be an AOA match for '19, but every program that isn't any longer in review and has managed to become fully accredited will probably appear on the ACGME match.

There are talks now of eliminating the AOA match for 2019, but officially any programs that have applied for accreditation would be able to participate in the AOA match in 2019, and those that got initial ACGME accreditation could participate in the ACGME match. Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if by then the majority of programs that are staying accredited were in the ACGME match only . Programs are already starting to transition.

If I were you, I would hold off on worrying about which match to be in. I didn't decide until halfway through the interview season. When the time comes, it'll be obvious.

Reactions: 1 users

Nope. Because the only programs left to apply to in AOA in 2018-2019 will be a few transitional years (1 year) which aren't residencies per se in thatbyou wont become board eligible for anything. You'll be applying through ERAS for ACGME programs that were once AOA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

One thing to also keep in mind. I just finished all my interviews. I'm only matching ACGME, however, did interview at a few "dual accredited programs." Out of the 4 dual accredited programs, 2 of them have elected to forgo the AOA match for various reasons. This has numerous implications. First, make sure you apply to these programs correctly and ask them which matches they are participating in because it isn't always clear on the website. Also, you may want to let the programs know which match you are participating in., at least in my opinion but that is a personal decision. (especially if you end up applying only ACGME.) I told all the ACGME programs straight up that I wasn't even applying AOA, so that they would know they would not "lose me to the AOA match" if they ranked me high.

Reactions: 1 user