Aoa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bokermmk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for med school this year. I thought AOA was for 10% of med students. A student tour guide was talking about AOA and said it only applied to 3% of students. (I dont know if she was talking about this particular school or in general). Anyway, what exactly is AOA and how many students get it?

Members don't see this ad.

AOA is alpha omega alpha, a medical school honor society. It's selection criteria differs from school to school, but generally, selection is largely based on your grades, particularly your clinical grades. Other selection criteria includes your extracurricular activites such as leadership positions or community service activities and your level of professionalism and respect you have among your peers. Most schools say that the top 10-15% of the class are eligible to be elected, but I believe that this criteria is up to each school. Most select students during their junior and senior year, but some only select students during their senior year. Here is their website:
http://www.alphaomegaalpha.org/AOAmain.htm