AP Credit Rule Interpretation (Harvard specific)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiwiberries

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked through lots of forums but I'm getting confused the more I read it.

So I understand some schools take AP credit for fulfilling pre-med requirements and some don't. For example, Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern) takes AP credit to fulfill the pre-med course requirements even though they expect to see advanced courses in science.

Now in some other instances, they don't OR rather worded a bit confusing (maybe it's just me). Harvard for instance says the following specifications:

Biology: "Advanced placement credits cannot be used to satisfy this requirement; upper-level courses should be taken if students have been granted advanced placement credits."

My interpretation -> can't just use AP to throw bio requirement out the window, but if used, upper-bio can be used to fulfill. I took genetics, microbiology, homeostasis/immunology, & other bio courses. Does that fulfill it?

Chemistry: "Advanced placement credits that enable students to take an upper-level course may be used to meet one semester equivalent of this requirement as long as students demonstrate mastery of biologically relevant general and organic chemistry and biochemistry."

My interpretation -> again, can't just use AP to skip general chem. 1 semester waived, but 1 upper chem must be taken to fulfill 1 year inorganic chem requirement? I skipped Gen. Chem altogether. Finished 1 yr OChem + lab, and did 1 year of Biochem (chem department offered course) but no lab. Does that fulfill it?

Physics: "Advanced placement credits that enable students to take an upper-level course may be used to meet one semester equivalent of this requirement as long as students demonstrate mastery of the principles of biologically relevant physics."

My interpretation -> just like chem, can't just use AP to skip physics. 1 semester waived, but 1 general physics course must be taken? Now comes the confusing part because on AP Physics C exam, I got credit for 1st semester (mechanics) but didn't do well on the 2nd semester (E&M) test. So at my college, I skipped 1st semester (mechanics), but took course for 2nd semester calculus based physics (E&M) at my college. Then does my 1 semester credit waived because of AP and 1 semester course I took at my university fulfill this 1 year physics requirement?

Math: "Advanced placement calculus credits may satisfy the calculus component of this requirement (Calculus AB and/or Calculus BC). A course in statistics will not satisfy the calculus component of this requirement."

My interpretation -> I skipped 1 year calc because of 5 on AP Calc BC. I couldn't fit biostatistics in my schedule, but took regular statistics course to fulfill statistics requirement so I should be good right?

Writing: "Advanced placement credits cannot be used to satisfy this requirement." & "Humanities or social science courses involving substantial expository writing will satisfy this requirement"

My interpretation -> I skipped 1 semester of 1st year English due to ACT score. I took 2nd semester English at my college, but also took intro sociology, psychology, and anthropology; 1 semester each. So would that fulfill this requirement?

HMS is my dream med school I've always wanted to attend. If I must take more classes, so be it, I will take it. But I want to spend more time on exploring other interesting options rather than taking courses unless I must take them.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make sure I explain everything in detail... Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

I've looked through lots of forums but I'm getting confused the more I read it.

So I understand some schools take AP credit for fulfilling pre-med requirements and some don't. For example, Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern) takes AP credit to fulfill the pre-med course requirements even though they expect to see advanced courses in science.

Now in some other instances, they don't OR rather worded a bit confusing (maybe it's just me). Harvard for instance says the following specifications:

Biology: "Advanced placement credits cannot be used to satisfy this requirement; upper-level courses should be taken if students have been granted advanced placement credits."

My interpretation -> can't just use AP to throw bio requirement out the window, but if used, upper-bio can be used to fulfill. I took genetics, microbiology, homeostasis/immunology, & other bio courses. Does that fulfill it?

Chemistry: "Advanced placement credits that enable students to take an upper-level course may be used to meet one semester equivalent of this requirement as long as students demonstrate mastery of biologically relevant general and organic chemistry and biochemistry."

My interpretation -> again, can't just use AP to skip general chem. 1 semester waived, but 1 upper chem must be taken to fulfill 1 year inorganic chem requirement? I skipped Gen. Chem altogether. Finished 1 yr OChem + lab, and did 1 year of Biochem (chem department offered course) but no lab. Does that fulfill it?

Physics: "Advanced placement credits that enable students to take an upper-level course may be used to meet one semester equivalent of this requirement as long as students demonstrate mastery of the principles of biologically relevant physics."

My interpretation -> just like chem, can't just use AP to skip physics. 1 semester waived, but 1 general physics course must be taken? Now comes the confusing part because on AP Physics C exam, I got credit for 1st semester (mechanics) but didn't do well on the 2nd semester (E&M) test. So at my college, I skipped 1st semester (mechanics), but took course for 2nd semester calculus based physics (E&M) at my college. Then does my 1 semester credit waived because of AP and 1 semester course I took at my university fulfill this 1 year physics requirement?

Math: "Advanced placement calculus credits may satisfy the calculus component of this requirement (Calculus AB and/or Calculus BC). A course in statistics will not satisfy the calculus component of this requirement."

My interpretation -> I skipped 1 year calc because of 5 on AP Calc BC. I couldn't fit biostatistics in my schedule, but took regular statistics course to fulfill statistics requirement so I should be good right?

Writing: "Advanced placement credits cannot be used to satisfy this requirement." & "Humanities or social science courses involving substantial expository writing will satisfy this requirement"

My interpretation -> I skipped 1 semester of 1st year English due to ACT score. I took 2nd semester English at my college, but also took intro sociology, psychology, and anthropology; 1 semester each. So would that fulfill this requirement?

HMS is my dream med school I've always wanted to attend. If I must take more classes, so be it, I will take it. But I want to spend more time on exploring other interesting options rather than taking courses unless I must take them.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make sure I explain everything in detail... Thanks for reading!

I had this problem with Icahn Mt. Sinai and I eventually emailed them to clarify. They said that my two semesters of OChem and two semesters of Biochem sufficed for their chemistry requirements. It appears this works for most schools, but I am taking Physical Chemistry to meet Columbia's requirement (more of a strong suggestion on the website), which should meet many other schools' requests for upper level chemistry classes. I highly recommend calling and/or emailing to be sure you meet the requirements. I did this every time I added a school to my primary application to be sure that I didn't pay for a school that I would absolutely not be able to attend. I had to cut two off my list as there was no physical way to complete the requirements in time (schools that require everything before application or before January), but I have met the requirements for nearly everywhere else.

If you do call, update and let us know what you discover! I need to call them with a question about HST requirements and I'll ask as well.

EDIT: I did take physics, but some schools want evidence of current mastery and don't accept, say, a 99% percentile MCAT score and 11 years as an engineer as proof that I understand physics. So I enrolled in a four-credit course in physics applications to medicine and biology. Sounds interesting - we'll see. I decided to throw more biology courses into the mix as I feel like those of us with AP credit can't seem to fulfill the requirements at every school...

So I've contacted them, and here's what I got.

Biology -> No AP accepted, take upper level to cover for it. Besides, this is very easy to accomplish because to best prepare for MCAT, it's highly recommended to take genetics, microbiology, and molecular biology.

Chemistry -> If you skipped your 2 semesters worth of general chemistry, you only then need to take 3 courses to meet their requirement. AP credit that allow students to take upper level course may be used to meet one semester, doesn't necessary mean you have to take higher level to cover.

Since chemistry requires 1 year of organic, for those with AP chemistry credit, it's probably recommended to take biochemistry to use it for general chemistry requirement and also get a dip into the content for MCAT prep.

Physics -> Same rules apply. Just like chemistry, 1 semester will be waived, but you'll have to take 1 semester of it. If you already skipped both physics semesters, tough luck. You must take at least 1 semester of physics if AP is used. I lucked out because I got waived for 1st semester but actually took the 2nd semester.

Math -> regular statistics is fine, but biostatistics is probably more helpful in terms of understanding bio-related research stats reading and etc. HMS link tells you that calculus can be waived for both semesters but not statistics. Statistics is easy, just take it again if you already took AP class for it; or even better, take biostatistics

Writing -> anthropology, psychology, sociology, etc. They are good enough to fulfill this need because it's writing intensive. HMS link also tells you this as well.

This is true as of NOW, as of this application cycle. Requirements may be subjected to change. Best wishes to those applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard is weird because they're moving to competency-based admissions but they'll still give you a sheet on interview day and ask you to fill in how you met the "requirements." If you meet it in another way, such as doing a lot of statistical modeling/analysis for various research projects, you can write that on there.

Harvard is weird because they're moving to competency-based admissions but they'll still give you a sheet on interview day and ask you to fill in how you met the "requirements." If you meet it in another way, such as doing a lot of statistical modeling/analysis for various research projects, you can write that on there.

Do they do this for the HST program (specifically for Linear Algebra). That's the only class I got a D in, but I understand the material just fine and received a much higher grade in an advanced class. I keep thinking that in the completely ridiculous chance that I somehow got an interview, I'd need to retake that class...

Do they do this for the HST program (specifically for Linear Algebra). That's the only class I got a D in, but I understand the material just fine and received a much higher grade in an advanced class. I keep thinking that in the completely ridiculous chance that I somehow got an interview, I'd need to retake that class...

To my knowledge, it was only the Pathways program but I'm not sure whether they do that for HST. They evaluate competencies on a case-by-case basis so if you get in, they'll check if your requirements have been fulfilled then and that's when it would come up. I remember that you're a non-trad engineer and have been working for some time now right? I think it should be fine since you did well in an upper-level course or if you've been using linear algebra as a part of your job, as long as you're comfortable with using it now.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it's a good thing that they first ask you how you believe you've met the requirement. I think this give interviewees the flexibility to present their thoughts of meeting the standard. Besides, I was told that somehow if you've got interviewed but you lacked a certain requirement, you simply need to get it done before the matriculation. I thought that was quite nifty.