AP English credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallmediumbig

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took two years of AP English in high school, which gave me credit at my undergrad institution. It appears as 9 transfer credits on my transcripts but obviously don't have grades. Do dental schools generally accept this as the English prerequisite or would I need to actually take English classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Each school has their own rules regarding AP credits. Time to google.

Generally, I found that if the AP credits are called something like "AP English" or "Transfer English credit" by your university, they will be accepted. If all your AP credits are lumped together and just called something like "Transfer credits" or "AP Credits" and not differentiated as English, they will not be accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took an insanely easy online English class just to cover my bases.

Generally, I found that if the AP credits are called something like "AP English" or "Transfer English credit" by your university, they will be accepted. If all your AP credits are lumped together and just called something like "Transfer credits" or "AP Credits" and not differentiated as English, they will not be accepted.
Thanks for replying. On my transcript, they're listed as 3 credits for English 101, 3 credits for English 102 (these are the two classes that are required to graduate from my school), and then 3 credits for English elective.

Thanks for replying. On my transcript, they're listed as 3 credits for English 101, 3 credits for English 102 (these are the two classes that are required to graduate from my school), and then 3 credits for English elective.
That's about what I had and it was ok with all my schools. I did double check with a few places I applied to during the cycle just in case.