PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Site: Hawaii Psychology Internship Consortium
Date Notification Received: 12/6
Notification: Personal Email
Tracks: Applied to two: Hawaii Youth Correctional Facility; East Hawaii Family Guidance Center
Interview Dates: Skype only; Scheduled on Jan 2.

PUMPED

Congrats!!!! Hoping to get interviews for their school sites.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t get a rejection yet but did anyone get an interview invite from MEDVAMC. Maybe I am wait listed.
I just received an interview invitation for the 11th. They are only offering that date. I declined the invitation so maybe you will hear from them. Good luck =)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for this input - very helpful. Other than understanding the site and why we are interested in it / communicating fit, what other things can we do to help us move up the list? And also - what are some of the red flags that generally could lead to someone getting moved down the list?

This is probably pretty vague, but to answer the question about moving up on the rank list: The applicants that I get excited about are the ones that are excited about my program. If you are genuinely interested in a program, I think communicating that interest is important (without obviously breaking the rule of saying where you plan to rank the site). Being prepared and knowing the site well is a "turn on." Asking good questions that are site-specific can also communicate you are familiar and interested (i.e., I see on rotation X there is the possibility of supervising practicum students; what might that look like? Rather than just asking if there are opportunities to supervise). Giving examples from your own experience to highlight your responses can also be helpful.

The other question from multiple folks was about red flags. Most are really blatant that even other applicants the day of will notice, such as narcissism, seeming competitive with other applicants, seeming argumentative, "knowing better" than others, etc. There have even been applicants who have argued with their potential supervisor during the interview. I understand if you don't agree with what your interviewer is saying, but there's no need to hash it out in an interview (and the arguments were very trivial). Not asking any questions can be a red flag. I know many sites allow ample opportunity to ask questions, but even with your last interviewer, it can't hurt to ask the same question just to get a different perspective. Also, make sure you interact with the current interns, if given the opportunity. We've had candidates that are shy and aren't as open to asking questions, but making eye contact, nodding, etc. can go a long way to show you're engaged (although definitely take advantage of the time you have with them - it can help with your own decision making). We've had interns tell us that there were applicants who were on their phone the whole time and didn't talk to them at all. I know you may need to check your phone - especially if you're still waiting to hear from sites, but if you want to check your phone, do it on a break in the bathroom.

Someone else asked about nervousness. It's completely normal to be nervous on an interview day, and I hope that most will recognize this (we're psychologists after all). Heck, I'm always a little nervous because I want the applicants to like me/the site too! I think it could be detrimental if you're so anxious that it is impacting how you respond. For example, if you're giving one-word answers, completely having lots of mind-blanking moments, you could also look disinterested or not prepared. If you know you get very anxious for interviews and may have these sorts of problems, then ask your faculty to do some practice interviews. Or do some with your classmates. Or stand in front of a mirror.

Although this question wasn't directed at me specifically, I wanted to give my input re: facial piercings and tattoos. I have no problems with these, but I do know of other faculty who have brought it up in ranking meetings. The concern is usually questioning the judgment of the applicant since many are told to remove them or cover them for interviews. Some places also have dress codes against these things and I wouldn't expect an applicant to know the ins and outs of the site's dress code, but it could give pause from other faculty. I would say, if you want to be cautious and not jeopardize your chances, remove them/cover them for your interview. It's possible that one person (who you may never even work with) may have a problem with it and it could affect where you fall on the rank list. On the other hand, if you didn't want to match at a site that had judgments about it (even if it was your absolute top choice), then wear them.

TLDR:
Be genuine, be prepared, be interested in the site. It's fine if you're nervous. Remove/cover facial piercings/tattoos if you want to be conservative/not want it to affect you (you would be okay not matching at your top site for that reason).

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview invitation for the 11th. They are only offering that date. I declined the invitation so maybe you will hear from them. Good luck =)

Hopefully not for the neuro track? Houston is arguably one of the best neuro training grounds in the country.

Just got an email from one of my sites letting me know that my application was incomplete because I didn’t include the supplementary materials (I can’t believe I did this...). I’m wondering if it’s possible for them to still consider my application or if there are guidelines in place that absolutely don’t allow this. If it’s at all up to the training director, it might be worth at least asking. Probably won’t help either way but I would hate to miss out because of something like this.

It's hard to potentially miss out because of it. But, it happens. One of my sites did not have this clearly marked and I nearly missed it. It is a really hectic time and you were juggling a lot of different things. You can always attempt to see if they will take it.

TLDR:
Be genuine, be prepared, be interested in the site. It's fine if you're nervous. Remove/cover facial piercings/tattoos if you want to be conservative/not want it to affect you (you would be okay not matching at your top site for that reason).

Thanks for this insight! I know that asking questions is important, but I've run into the issue a couple of times now where my interview with the person goes over, someone is waiting outside the door and they will say "we are bit over time and need to wrap up, but do you have any questions?" I've felt pressured to not ask my whole list of questions, and want to demonstrate that i'm respectful of the next person, but also that i'm interested in the site. What is the best way to handle this situation? Just saying that I'm aware time is up, and I do have questions but just ask the one most pressing?

Reactions: 1 user
Test for four hours, return to phone which shows 13 emails. None of them are internship-related. Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 12 users
Tracks: Kauai School District
Interview Dates: Skype only; Scheduled on Jan 9

So excited!

Reactions: 10 users
Just got an email from one of my sites letting me know that my application was incomplete because I didn’t include the supplementary materials (I can’t believe I did this...). I’m wondering if it’s possible for them to still consider my application or if there are guidelines in place that absolutely don’t allow this. If it’s at all up to the training director, it might be worth at least asking. Probably won’t help either way but I would hate to miss out because of something like this.

There are no official guidelines saying that they can't accept it, although they may have their own rules. I'd recommend sending an email back, apologize for the mistake, state that you hope that they will still be able to consider your application and attach the missing documents. The worst they can do is not consider you.

Thanks for this insight! I know that asking questions is important, but I've run into the issue a couple of times now where my interview with the person goes over, someone is waiting outside the door and they will say "we are bit over time and need to wrap up, but do you have any questions?" I've felt pressured to not ask my whole list of questions, and want to demonstrate that i'm respectful of the next person, but also that i'm interested in the site. What is the best way to handle this situation? Just saying that I'm aware time is up, and I do have questions but just ask the one most pressing?

You could always say something like, "I do have a few questions, but it could probably be answered by others, so I'm happy to hold off knowing that we're out of time." There may be opportunities later in the day to ask the faculty questions, or if it's a genuine question that you have after you've left the site, you can always reach out after.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have had this happen at my first practicum and I was simply honest with the training director. After I asked a few of the most important questions, I stated that I wanted to be respectful of their time and of the other applicant, but I had additional questions since I was highly interested in the site. I also asked if it would be possible to email or call at a later time/date to ask these questions and the training director was more that happy to address them later. It worked really well in my case as I got the position! Hope this helps.

Official Site Name: El Paso Psychology Internship Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 12/5/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: TBD

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Official Site Name: Ohio State University Counseling and Consultation Service
Date Invitation Received: 12/6/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: I think he said 1/2-1/7? He is going to follow up with an email + signup link soon

Reactions: 5 users
Tracks: Kauai School District
Interview Dates: Skype only; Scheduled on Jan 9

So excited!

So excited FOR you! That's awesome!

Official Site Name: Ohio State University Counseling and Consultation Service
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Offered Interview Dates: I think he said 1/2-1/7? He is going to follow up with an email + signup link soon
congrats. Seems like this one is sending in waves... hoping one of those waves hits me soon

congrats. Seems like this one is sending in waves... hoping one of those waves hits me soon
Thank you! I think he said they are sending out the link tomorrow, so I hope you hear back soon! :) I just got the call about a half hour ago so I'm sure he's not through the list yet.

Do current interns have much of an impact on the rankings of the applicants interviewing at their sites? I do not mean the obvious cases when they would likely report back any clear red flags they might observe during the day, or when they are explicitly interviewing the applicant. I am curious about more of the technically non-evaluative contexts, such as group lunches/other potential social events.

Do current interns have much of an impact on the rankings of the applicants interviewing at their sites? I do not mean the obvious cases when they would likely report back any clear red flags they might observe during the day, or when they are explicitly interviewing the applicant. I am curious about more of the technically non-evaluative contexts, such as group lunches/other potential social events.

IME only if there is a significant red flag.

Not usually. I think there are some sites out there that have interns participate, but usually they are just notifying faculty of red flags or others who seem particularly enthusiastic.

Edited to add: I also prefer not having our interns involved because it allows the applicants to be more relaxed and ask questions of the interns they actually have rather than to feel "on" the whole day. I think it's incredibly important for the applicants to have a good understanding of the site - ranking is a two way street!

The level of intern involvement in selection has been different even among the few sites where I've worked -- but assume that they do weigh in and act accordingly, just to be safe.

Official Site Name: Maimonides Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/06/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult
Offered Interview Dates: December 20, December 27, January 2, January 3, January 7, or January 10
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Cuddling with my dog and super grateful to have another interview!

Reactions: 7 users
Rejection from Maimonides Medical Center - emailed with a general letter attached.

Official Site Name:Hawai'i Psychology Internship Consortium
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personalied email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Kauai School District, East Hawai'i Family Guidance Center, Hawai'i School District, West Hawai'i School District
Offered Interview Dates: Assigned interview dates of January 2 and January 9.
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I'm not lol

Reactions: 5 users
Official Site Name:Hawai'i Psychology Internship Consortium
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personalied email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Kauai School District, East Hawai'i Family Guidance Center, Hawai'i School District, West Hawai'i School District
Offered Interview Dates: Assigned interview dates of January 2 and January 9.
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I'm not lol

Congrats! It seems like they aren't offering the Oahu school district track this year. A bit awkward as my application materials were most tailored towards that track. Either way, exciting! :)

Official Site Name: Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child and Adolescent Specialization
Offered Interview Dates: Jan 8, 10, 16

Reactions: 14 users
Has anyone hear from University of Kansas Medical Center Underserved Population Track? Thanks!
I received an invite for the underserved population track on 11/19. They offered dates of 12/21, 1/4, and 1/11.

Official Site Name: Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child and Adolescent Specialization

I wonder if they sent the adult one too but i just didn’t get it?

Has someone interviewed at Community Healthlink? I believe someone said they had and I am wondering how the interview process went. I have mine coming up and I am excited and nervous!

Are other people still waiting on UMass or should we assume all invites (for forensic) have gone out? Seems like few people have heard...

I have not heard from Umass but at this point I'm assuming I'm rejected. If that's not the case I'll be pleasantly surprised, but seems really unlikely at this point.

I wonder if they sent the adult one too but i just didn’t get it?
I would guess that they are notifying one track at a time. They are having people call in and speak with the secretary to reserve their dates, so I am guessing that they are going to stagger so she isn't bombarded with every applicant calling at once.

Wow, you are a unicorn!!! Good for you!!!!

Official Site Name: UMass Med School/Worcester Recovery Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): phone call
Offered Interview Dates: Jan 4, 15

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected from Fort Worth ISD. On the bright side, I had heard this was an incredibly assessment focused site and I’m really looking for a better balance, so maybe it just wasn’t the right fit.

Which track?

:0 maybe there is still hope for me yet. They sure are spreading out these calls