PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by A Blue Duck, Nov 6, 2018.

1. BMED2020

They’ve all blurred together for me at this point, I just know everything I did is health psych haha but I know I applied for health psych rotations...so maybe it’s not a track but the specific rotations I applied for are health psych.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

2. neuropsych2020

understandable. When did they email you, if you don't mind me asking?

3. psychedout88

I received an interview offer this morning

SoPSYcheD2020 likes this.
  4. psychedout88

I interviewed there on Wednesday. It was a (surprisingly ) pleasant process and everyone was very friendly/welcoming.

5. PSYCHed2020

Congrats!! I got this one too! :)

6. SoPSYcheD2020

Congrats! Still haven’t heard from them :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

7. arewethereyet21

Official Site Name: San Francisco VA Healthcare System
    Date Invitation Received: 12/6
    Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): phone call
    Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
    Offered Interview Dates: 1/3, 1/7, 1,8, 1/10, 1/14, but very flexible
    (In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
    : yoga and work

8. BMED2020

6:22 pm EST!

9. Action_Potential

Psychology Student
    Congratulations!!!!!

Well, I am now dead inside and seething with envy. Guess it's time for Schitt's Creek and some wine.

10. Bowser's Castle

Official Site Name: Ancora Psychiatric Hospital
    Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
    Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
    Offered Interview Dates: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10

11. quitealright

Good vibes cat.

Attached Files:

12. JoePianist

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    The VA system has an annual internal review for all sites, which is publicly available to view on the VA website. You can read about how their rating system works in the link below, but the Washington VA has been embattled for years with a constant change in leadership.

End of Year Hospital Star Rating (FY2018) - Quality of Care

13. Appicsearch2018

If I haven’t heard from Menninger should I just count that as a rejection if I got one from Texas children’s?

14. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I would not use this rating system in any way to help choose VA training sites, for many reasons. One, these ratings are based on mostly things not even related to the training program, like nursing capacity, or access numbers in unrelated clinics, etc. When you finally get to a job in a hospital system, you truly learn how arbitrary and meaningless rating systems are in the healthcare system. Two, these numbers are nowhere near where I'd rank the training, especially for specialty training areas. There are some 4s and 5s with not great to mediocre training programs, while some 2s and 3s are probably in the top 5 for their specialty. While I haven't heard stellar things about the Washington VA, the rest of the numbers are arbitrary and generally meaningless in terms of training.

15. neuroguy101

Psychology Student
    I’m in the same boat. Menninger has been notified so I’m guessing rejection, but no one can know for certain.

16. psyc'd

I’ve been wondering the same! My suit will cover my super visible tattoo, but I can’t decide what to do about my nose piercing. I think it’s pretty inconspicuous when I wear a stud, and I agree that it has helped clients find me more approachable, but I don’t want to appear unprofessional. I’m just not sure whether interviewers care or not!

17. bigdreamer3

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Someone (a TD I think) just responded to this topic actually. They essentially said that most places you go these days it will not matter. However, there may be some people on training committees who view it unfavorably. This, in turn, could potentially affect your standing in rankings for match. Even if the person is not someone you'd work with on internship. Ultimately it becomes a personal decision as to weighing whether you want to alter yourself to fit the site that could potentially judge you on this matter.

#2667 bigdreamer3, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    psyc'd likes this.
  18. CrimPsych2020

Has anyone heard from the NC department of public safety? Notification deadline is tomorrow

19. Ms.PhD.Eventually

I’m keeping mine in. It’s a stud and somewhat tiny. I don’t think I’d want to end up somewhere that I’d be judged just for a nose ring lol

reeses4761 and tn15an like this.
  20. child_psych123

Official Site Name: WestCoast Children's Clinic
    Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
    Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
    Offered Interview Dates: 1/8, 1/10, 1/15, 1/17

21. MrsPsyD2020

Psychology Student
    If you’ve totally lost it raise your Hand :bow:

Texas Children’s -Baylor rejection
    8 more emails pending, 2 brain cells left

22. I_love_brains

Psychology Student
    Whoa this is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing!! Lol just wish I knew about this before I applied! o_O Oh well...interesting nonetheless, and might come in handy for post-doc!

JoePianist likes this.
  23. I_love_brains

Psychology Student
    Literally just had a minor breakdown. You're not alone... :dead:

24. I_love_brains

Psychology Student
    :love:

quitealright and Forensic234 like this.
  25. irish80122

irish80122 DCT at Miss State U.
    Faculty 15+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Hi intern applicants,

Sorry for the second posting but one of our students suggested you may not have seen this on the main list.

I wanted you to have the information on the Mississippi State University Counseling Center internship, which is accepting its inaugural class next year.

Since they are new they are not yet accredited, but they have already submitted an intent to apply application to APA and received feedback. They are planning on submitting their self-study as soon as they have interns on campus.

Here are a few things that stand out about the program:

1. These are full benefit positions, so they come with the same health insurance and retirement permanent employees receive. For anyone with a health condition this is a really big advantage.
    2. Interns are eligible for the faculty housing program, which provides low-cost housing, and when combined with the $30,000 stipend makes for a generous package, especially for Mississippi

Although counseling center experience is a bonus, it is not required.

The full announcement is below and the website can be found here: Counseling Services :: Mississippi State University.

Please think about it and let me know if you have any questions!

Michael

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mississippi State University Student Counseling Services (SCS) is currently recruiting its first psychology internship cohort for the 2019-2020 training year. Applicants who are interested in working in a dynamic, interdisciplinary setting at a rural university with a student body from diverse and often underserved populations are encouraged to apply. 3 positions with a stipend of $30,000 and full benefits are available. Interns will also be eligible to participate in the MS State University faculty housing program.

Interns can expect to receive a variety of experiences including: Individual therapy, group therapy, crisis and after-hour experience, outreach, and supervision. Additionally, SCS offers a variety of specialized rotations to choose from including LGBT+ students, sexual assault and trauma work, international students, and a specialized rotation within our satellite office at the MS State College of Veterinary Medicine.

SCS is not an APPIC member and is not accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). SCS has a current status with APA of “Intent to Apply” having submitted an intent to apply application and received feedback from APA on July 22,2018. This indicates that SCS has intention of application for APA-Accreditation, on contingency, as soon as our first internship cohort begins. Greater information regarding our proposed timeline can be found here

SCS is participating in the current APPIC match (Match ID# 248211). Interested applicants are required to utilize the AAPI online application portal when applying to the program. Completed applications should be received no later than December 10, 2019. Questions about the internship program should be directed to Dr. Ty Stafford at [email protected] Further information about the program and Mississippi State University can be found at our website: http://health.msstate.edu/scs/training.php

MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.

26. AichhornOak

Official Site Name: Virginia Treatment Center for Children (VTCC)
    Date Invitation Received: 12/6 (at night)
    Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
    Offered Interview Dates: 1/9, 1/11, 1/18
    (In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Hot chocolate, reading a new book, and lifting weights!

27. deadinsidealreadytaken

I respect this.

I_love_brains and McMackAttack like this.
  28. OP
    OP
    A Blue Duck

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Happy Friday everyone. Today is a somewhat popular day for interviews; if you have one today or interviews coming up, good luck!

I wanted to give a heads up that my plan is to update the list until Dec. 15th, which is the recommended APPIC deadline for notification. I realize there will still be some notifications outstanding at that point, and please continue to post these to the thread so that everyone can be alerted. However, it's simply time for me to end this fun little hobby and place full focus on my interviews, dissertation, and holidays with family.

I'll post again on the 15th or 16th signifying the point at which the list will no longer be updated.

29. Intern2019

Thanks for creating this helpful list, and thanks for all your hard work helping us through this process.

30. 2019applicant5

Agree with everyone. Thank you so much for taking this on. You were a tremendous help! Wishing you the best with your interviews and dissertation and hope you get to enjoy family time!

31. Appicsearch2018

Yup

32. Appicsearch2018

I totally shed a tear or two

33. CARCAL515

Thanks so much! This was extremely helpful. Good luck to you.

Psych1215 and SingingPhD like this.
  34. laughingasong

Thank you, thank you, A Blue Duck!

I have to say I am feeling a small bit of jealousy for those of you who have everything all wrapped up and know your plans. I'm still waiting on 10 sites. Hoping for some news today!

35. reeses4761

2+ Year Member

I feel the same way. I’ve had my tiny stud in for almost 9 years - at this point it’s a part of who I am. If a site doesn’t want me for all of me, then I don’t want them either. We should all celebrate who we are as a whole person! My boyfriend sent me this quote recently:

“Accept everything about yourself - I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end - no apologies, no regrets” - Henry Kissinger

I’ve taken this to heart (as much as possible) and hope you all can benefit from these inspiring words. We all have something unique to offer the world (and the field of psychology) and we can choose to embrace it or try to change it. I’m choosing to try to embrace it, and expect this will always be a work in progress!

#2685 reeses4761, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  36. mypointlesspov

Psychology Student
    Long shot but has anyone heard from the following? Most have notification dates of next week, but I was wondering if there was any information that may not have been posted here yet.
    • Virginia Beach Public Schools
    • Momentous Institute
    • Harris County Juvenile Probation Dept.
    • Mount Sinai Adolescent Health
    • MercyFirst
    • Hutchings Psychiatric Center (Child track)
    • The School at Columbia
    • Lincoln Medical Center
    • Citrus Health Network
    • Terry Children's Center
    • Avondale Elementary School District
    • Devereux Massachusetts and Rhode Island
    Although some of these (e.g. VA Beach, Devereux, Lincoln Medical, and Citrus Health) had very recent application deadlines, so I'm not expecting to hear anything yet.

37. SingingPhD

Also waiting on harris, devereux, and citrus.

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

mypointlesspov likes this.
  38. NeuroPsyched

Thanks for building an informative, supportive online community :) Best of luck with your interviews!!

SingingPhD likes this.
  39. GradStudent2020

I followed up with Greg about this because my understanding was sites should send interview invites AND rejections by their posted date. He confirmed that they are supposed to send rejections as well.

#2689 GradStudent2020, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  40. McMackAttack

Also waiting on devereux, Virginia Beach, and have cohortmates waiting on the school at Columbia and Avondale. Devereux’s deadline was today so I think that one will be awhile... schools in general seem to notify next week, for the most part. But oh how I wish that weren’t the case.

mypointlesspov likes this.
  41. neuroguy101

Psychology Student
    I was hoping that I would wake up this morning to a couple notifications from the east coast (nope), and that I’d be hearing from more throughout the day. Fingers crossed that the second piece does come to fruition.

42. laughingasong

By the way, folks who have already had an interview/ are having their first interviews this week and next! Please come back and let us know how it went! I am rooting for every single one of you!!!

43. TryingToStaySane

Waiting on Terry Children's Center as well - seems like they have waited until the last minute in the past.

psychedout88 and mypointlesspov like this.
  44. LurkerTurnedParticipant

Official Site Name: Harvard Medical School/Boston Children’s Hospital
    Date Invitation Received: 12/7
    Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
    Offered Interview Dates: 1/4, 1/7, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18

Just in case others were waiting on this one, apparently there’s still hope!!

45. reeses4761

2+ Year Member

Official Site Name: University of New Hampshire Psychological and Counseling Services
    Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
    Offered Interview Dates: 1/4, 1/7, 1/8

46. letmeCBTthat

I wanted to post this because I think next year's applicants may find it useful to know that McLean Hospital sent out another (possibly the 4th?) wave of invites today. My friend in another program and I both got one so it could be a geographical thing? (we are both very far from Belmont for what it is worth)

Official Site Name: McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School
    Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
    Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult track
    Offered Interview Dates: 1/11, 1/18

47. laughingasong

Just received 3 MORE emails from Fort Worth ISD rejecting me, despite the fact that I had already been rejected yesterday. I had to truly utilize some calming, coping skills to avoid emailing back a sarcastic reply about how "I get the point!"

48. tn15an

I'm still waiting on 4 sites. I want this process to end.

49. SingingPhD

Omgggg I'd be so mad. That happened to me with grad schools, i was rejected from u of South Carolina like 6 times hahah

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

50. ClinicalPsych2013

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Also waiting on Mount Sinai Adolescent Health!

clinpsych223 likes this.