PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official Site Name: MercyFirst
Date Invitation Received: 12/7
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: Request to reply to email or contact via phone to schedule an interview.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw. Things are finally looking up!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Just received 3 MORE emails from Fort Worth ISD rejecting me, despite the fact that I had already been rejected yesterday. I had to truly utilize some calming, coping skills to avoid emailing back a sarcastic reply about how "I get the point!"

Omg. Not cool, Fort Worth ISD! That is so disorganized.

I didn’t apply there. I wanted to but sent them an email awhile back asking if they would consider clinical psych applicants and they didn’t even respond. They have excellent ASD resources/training for a school district.

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: MercyFirst
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Offered Interview Dates: Request to reply to email or contact via phone to schedule an interview.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw. Things are finally looking up!

Yay! Me too!! :banana:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Four rejections in the past hour, 20 overall and 1 interview. Is time to eat ice cream now??? Still waiting on four more sites!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 4 users
Official Site Name: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General track
Offered Interview Dates: 1/14

Official Site Name: Harvard Medical School/Boston Children’s Hospital
Offered Interview Dates: 1/4, 1/7, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18

Just in case others were waiting on this one, apparently there’s still hope!!

Congrats! Last year they seemed to reject people first as they went along so this is good news!

Reactions: 1 user
BOP Allenwood and Lexington just sent out mass email invites

Reactions: 2 users
Still haven’t heard from Menninger even though they sent invites earlier this month. I don’t know if I should just count that one as a rejection.....same with UT health San Antonio

I googled what dates are considered “early December” and today is the last day to hear from them! Unless they decided to go into mid-December

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For MercyFirst, interview dates offered:

12/20 at 10am or 11am
1/10 at 10am or 11am
1/17 at 10am or 11am

Just two more sites to hear from and then I am freeeeeeeeeeeee!

Long shot but has anyone heard from the following? Most have notification dates of next week, but I was wondering if there was any information that may not have been posted here yet.
  • Virginia Beach Public Schools
  • Momentous Institute
  • Harris County Juvenile Probation Dept.
  • Mount Sinai Adolescent Health
  • MercyFirst
  • Hutchings Psychiatric Center (Child track)
  • The School at Columbia
  • Lincoln Medical Center
  • Citrus Health Network
  • Terry Children's Center
  • Avondale Elementary School District
  • Devereux Massachusetts and Rhode Island
Although some of these (e.g. VA Beach, Devereux, Lincoln Medical, and Citrus Health) had very recent application deadlines, so I'm not expecting to hear anything yet.
I am also waiting on Virginia Beach and Avondale. A few of my cohortmates are waiting on The School at Columbia!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also waiting on Virginia Beach and Avondale. A few of my cohortmates are waiting on The School at Columbia!
Scratch that, cohortmate just got a rejection from Avondale, so looks like they are starting to send stuff out.

Still haven’t heard from Menninger even though they sent invites earlier this month. I don’t know if I should just count that one as a rejection.....same with UT health San Antonio

UT health San Antonio has their application deadline set to next Monday at 11:59pm , so the earliest anyone could hear from them is Tuesday the 11th.

News from this forum just caused me to cry in my office for 30 minutes straight, so I definitely need to back off. I'm only allowing myself on here going forward to post about my own notifications, just to keep people posted. Hoping y'all have a great Friday, relaxing weekend, and luck with this process.

Official Site Name: Avondale School District
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/9, 1/11, 1/16, 1/30, 2/1

Rejection from Bedford VA - not overly surprising. Unfortunately, they accidentally sent it with a subject line about their open house, which then gave a bit of whiplash when it was actually a rejection.

News from this forum just caused me to cry in my office for 30 minutes straight, so I definitely need to back off. I'm only allowing myself on here going forward to post about my own notifications, just to keep people posted. Hoping y'all have a great Friday, relaxing weekend, and luck with this process.

Honestly me too. I applied to 16 places and I got 2 interviews to my top 2 sites. Then 2 rejections and pretty much silence from everywhere else, including places that I see have sent out interview offers. Not a great feeling at all.

Honestly me too. I applied to 16 places and I got 2 interviews to my top 2 sites. Then 2 rejections and pretty much silence from everywhere else, including places that I see have sent out interview offers. Not a great feeling at all.

My current site, which I LOVE and work hard at 21 hours per week, has sent out interview offers but radio silence for me. Honestly, it would just be very tough to not take a rejection personally. At this point I just need to hear something.

My current site, which I LOVE and work hard at 21 hours per week, has sent out interview offers but radio silence for me. Honestly, it would just be very tough to not take a rejection personally. At this point I just need to hear something.

This happens quite a bit at the schools in my city - externship does not automatically translate to internship, even though one would expect it to be an advantage in the early decision stages. It says nothing negative about your performance. But as always, only draw conclusions when you hear one way or another. I'm awaiting quite a few sites, many of which have sent invites in unusual waves, making it impossible to gauge and very easy to become frustrated. Hang in there!

Reactions: 5 users

I know what you mean, but i know some post docs don't like to take on students who interned there as to provide variety of training i think? So maybe some sites similarly don't like to take their practicum students as their interns? It would suck though having to continue working there after not being invited for an interview :/ . I originally wanted to apply to a practicum site where I spent a year and a half and loved it but ended up deciding against it because the practicum there is very similar to their internship and I wanted my training to have more variety of experiences.

I know what you mean, but i know some post docs don't like to take on students who interned there as to provide variety of training i think? So maybe some sites similarly don't like to take their practicum students as their interns? It would suck though having to continue working there after not being invited for an interview :/ . I originally wanted to apply to a practicum site where I spent a year and a half and loved it but ended up deciding against it because the practicum there is very similar to their internship and I wanted my training to have more variety of experiences.

The thing is, I reached out to the training director before applying and they said they frequently take students who have been externs, and in fact, one of last year's interns had been an extern the previous year. There are rational reasons why I would be rejected, and none of my 2 direct supervisors actually make the decisions, but it just makes me feel extremely bad about myself.

Honestly, there hasn't been a time this year where I wanted to just lay in bed, watch Netflix and drink wine while thinking about nothing more then today.

The thing is, I reached out to the training director before applying and they said they frequently take students who have been externs, and in fact, one of last year's interns had been an extern the previous year. There are rational reasons why I would be rejected, and none of my 2 direct supervisors actually make the decisions, but it just makes me feel extremely bad about myself.

Honestly, there hasn't been a time this year where I wanted to just lay in bed, watch Netflix and drink wine while thinking about nothing more then today.

I'm sorry, that sucks :(

I'm losing it today too! The waiting anxiety is killing me, I can't focus on anything or get anything done

That's completely understandable. There are reasons within every application that could warrant a rejection or even a lower ranking following interviews. There are also countless reasons for rejection that have nothing to do with application deficits, as a previous DOT posted on here, that no one can control in this "crapshoot" of a process: certain letters have buzz words that interest one particular reader on one particular day of the week and at one particular time of day; the reverse to this can also be true depending on the specific person, day, and time; one could be tied for 12th on a list that can only be 12 people long, and fall on the wrong side of the coin; the list goes on and we could continue to create scenarios in which qualified candidates are not being invited.

This doesn't change the situation itself, unfortunately. The hardest part is just trusting that whatever is meant to happen will happen. This is not generally how I view things (overly optimistic) but am realizing that this is the only way to get through this highly stressful process. I trust that all of us will successfully make it through to the other side and never look back.

Reactions: 6 users
I got rejected from one of my current sites and it does suck

UT health San Antonio has their application deadline set to next Monday at 11:59pm , so the earliest anyone could hear from them is Tuesday the 11th.

Ug. Going on previous years I've been sitting on the edge fo my seat waiting for them to contact today/yesterday. I wonder why they made their deadline so late.

One of my sites sent a mass email saying to let them know if we have any food allergies... since I do not, I assumed a reply was unnecessary. A week later the emailed me asking if I have a food allergy. Does it look bad I didn’t reply the first time? The way it was worded made it sound like to only email if we do have one.

One of my sites sent a mass email saying to let them know if we have any food allergies... since I do not, I assumed a reply was unnecessary. A week later the emailed me asking if I have a food allergy. Does it look bad I didn’t reply the first time? The way it was worded made it sound like to only email if we do have one.

I think (myself included) we are all overthinking this too much. I doubt that your impressive clinical skills are going to be overlooked because you neglected to reply to a mass email about food allergies.

Reactions: 6 users

I feel that this is likely a common occurrence - I also would not have responded if it was phrased in an interpretable manner. They probably do not want countless emails coming in and it makes sense to choose to not contribute to their inbox unnecessarily. At this point, I would just briefly state no allergies and apologize for not responding due to not wanting to add to a likely overwhelming inbox.

Hopefully, later today. It would really suck if they dragged this out for their other tracks into the next week.

Agreed. Though, the post from yesterday of the Child track being invited makes me wonder if the email actually specified the track or if that was just the track to which the poster applied. Sometimes that matters. But who knows - last year they invited on multiple days. I applied to the Combined track.

Anybody else waiting on Children’s Mercy KC? I know some invites have gone out but today is their posted notification date.

Has anybody heard anything about Autism or Trauma tracks from the Yale Child Study Center yet? So far I've only seen posts for the Pediatric and Early Childhood tracks.

Reading through these anxiety posts has helped me to put some of this experience into perspective. Worst case scenario, I spend another year as not a psychologist. Nobody is threatening to shoot me if I don't match, and I assume it is the same for everyone else here. It feels as if there is alot of suffering on here as a result of the interview process... may I humbly offer that aiming to be psychologist doesn't render emotion regulaton and cognitive therapy techniques ineffective? Whether or not we get our perfect (or any) invitations, the sun will still come up, the Earth will still spin on its axis, and we will still be worth loving.

Reactions: 19 users
Reading through these anxiety posts has helped me to put some of this experience into perspective. Worst case scenario, I spend another year as not a psychologist. Nobody is threatening to shoot me if I don't match, and I assume it is the same for everyone else here. It feels as if there is alot of suffering on here as a result of the interview process... may I humbly offer that aiming to be psychologist doesn't render emotion regulaton and cognitive therapy techniques ineffective? Whether or not we get our perfect (or any) invitations, the sun will still come up, the Earth will still spin on its axis, and we will still be worth loving.

Even gall bladder is worth loving.

upload_2018-12-7_12-26-11.jpeg

Reactions: 15 users
BOP Allenwood and Lexington just sent out mass email invites

Crimpsych2020, or anyone who has heard from Lexington, I was wondering if you have heard from Ms. Reed, I'm guessing it's forthcoming, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I'd like to schedule asap!

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Screenshot_2018-12-07-12-33-24-1.png

Just an anxiety meme for your enjoyment. *no emails today YET! Good luck on interviews everyone. I hear they have been much better of an experience than all the waiting.

Reactions: 12 users
Ug. Going on previous years I've been sitting on the edge fo my seat waiting for them to contact today/yesterday. I wonder why they made their deadline so late.

I don’t know what their deadline was last year but the invites went out on 12/11 i think