Applicant Statistics / Average USMLE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurryPower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, specifically, I am interested in Dermatology, a field that I am currently doing clinical research in undergrad and have been passionate about based on personal encounters (my relatives who were burned victims and skin cancer patients). However, I realized very recently that it is perhaps one of the toughest residencies to obtain. I was interested was "How many candidates applied to Dermatology on their match list and how many students were ultimately matched?" based on recent statistics from their medical schools. Essentially, would this percentage of acceptance be higher at higher ranked medical school, i.e. such as going to Yale, Harvard, or JHU Medical school?

Another factor I was considering was whether the reputation of the school's departments, not the ranking of the school, may impact my chances of obtaining a residency spot. For example, NYU is not listed at the top of med school list, but its dermatology program is outstanding in the top 5. Thus, I was wondering based on candidates who apply, does these schools have a higher percentage of people who get accepted to their dermatology residency based on their match list?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, specifically, I am interested in Dermatology, a field that I am currently doing clinical research in undergrad and have been passionate about based on personal encounters (my relatives who were burned victims and skin cancer patients). However, I realized very recently that it is perhaps one of the toughest residencies to obtain. I was interested was "How many candidates applied to Dermatology on their match list and how many students were ultimately matched?" based on recent statistics from their medical schools. Essentially, would this percentage of acceptance be higher at higher ranked medical school, i.e. such as going to Yale, Harvard, or JHU Medical school?

Another factor I was considering was whether the reputation of the school's departments, not the ranking of the school, may impact my chances of obtaining a residency spot. For example, NYU is not listed at the top of med school list, but its dermatology program is outstanding in the top 5. Thus, I was wondering based on candidates who apply, does these schools have a higher percentage of people who get accepted to their dermatology residency based on their match list?

And then this one time in bandcamp. And then...and then..and then!

Since this forum gets very little action (but lots of foot traffic apparently), I've bolded your questions to increase the odds of you getting answers from one of our derm brothas/sistas.

In fact, I'll even go ahead and rephrase AND list your questions to increase your odds even more:

1) How many students apply for (and match) Derm from each med school in the country?

2) How many students apply for (and match) Derm from "top" med schools in the country?

3) Does reputation of the Derm dept of a particular med school have any impact on my odds of matching Derm?

4) Does having a reputable Derm dept increase my odds of matching AT THAT PARTICULAR program?

Did I mention I really love Dermatology? (and the word "match list")

G'luck young grasshoper!

And then this one time in bandcamp. And then...and then..and then!

Since this forum gets very little action (but lots of foot traffic apparently), I've bolded your questions to increase the odds of you getting answers from one of our derm brothas/sistas.

In fact, I'll even go ahead and rephrase AND list your questions to increase your odds even more:

1) How many students apply for (and match) Derm from each med school in the country?

2) How many students apply for (and match) Derm from "top" med schools in the country?

3) Does reputation of the Derm dept of a particular med school have any impact on my odds of matching Derm?

4) Does having a reputable Derm dept increase my odds of matching AT THAT PARTICULAR program?

Did I mention I really love Dermatology? (and the word "match list")

G'luck young grasshoper!

For the OP, goto this link page 32 http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

1. According to the link 574 applied and 317 matched, but it is my understanding that the 574 are the people who got interviews not the total that applied. The total I've read on the dermboard was ~900 applied for ~300 spots.

2. Don't know that one, and don't know if my alm mater is a "top" school but last year 12 applied from my school and 11 matched.

3. I would think so, but I think other things matter more like board scores and publications.

4. I would also think so.

1-Yes the reputation of the schools Derm dept will matter more than the schools overall rep.Thats because faculty letters carry much weight in this process so a well connected department can do much for an applicant.
Jefferson has a big name in Derm so contacts,research there can help its applicants.There are a few other schools with name derm programs but not "top "schools.And there are top schools of course that are also tops in Derm too such as Yale 2- A high prcentage of Derm applicants who match do so at thier home program.So yes your own med schools Derm program is generally your best bet.You will have to be a very strong candidate if you expect to to apply and match at another program as you will be competing against a national pool of applicants.