Application advice: Should I apply and or retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhg07

Reaction score
Hello, I recently retook my DAT and did terribly, but I really want to apply this cycle. I’m not quite sure what to do- whether I have a chance at applying (or wait until next cycle), and if I should retake the DAT in late August and send a letter to the schools that I will be applying. I have included my stats below as well as both my DAT scores. Also, are there any schools recommended for my stats? Thank you so much for your help!

Date of submission: 6/20
Overall GPA: 3.395
Science GPA: 3.700
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 -> 19 AA/ 18 -> 18 TS/ 16->17 PAT/ 18 ->16 OC/ 16 -> 20 BIO/ 20 ->18 GC/ 24 -> 21 RC/ 20 ->22 QR
State of Residence: CA

Undergrad Attended: UCLA
Major: Biology
Minor: no
Minority?
no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? Yes, took 1 gap year

Shadowing Experience:
100 in person general dentist, 190 hours ortho
Volunteering Experience: 150+ hours (tutoring, digital Sherpa for cancer patients)
Employment:
900 hours as dental assistant (7 months) before quitting to focus on shadowing
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: Joined a dental program (Basic dental principles) with UCLA, Did a dental volunteering event for dental screening and will be doing more during the summer
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Honor List 4 quarters
LOR type and strength: Volunteer coordinator (close r/s with coordinator), chemistry professor (not close, but sent professor a strong statement for my LOC), orthodontist (close r/s), stats professor (not close)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: first generation college student, low income
School list
AT Still - AZ
Boston U
Loma Linda
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Touro
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
UOP
U of Nevada, Las Vegas
U of Washington
UNE
USC
Western

Members don't see this ad.

This is a tough call. I would contact some of the schools on your list and get their advice, getting into dental school is much more than a DAT score. From your first attempt to your 2nd attempt is it apparent you put a lot of work into the Orgo Section and moved your score up 4 points which is great but your scores went down points in some other sections. Why do you think your scores did not improve across the board? Did you focus so much on Orgo you neglected the other sections. You are a good student and I am sure these scores are not what you wanted or expected.
You can apply with these scores and because you are applying to a lot of schools I think should get an interview at a few.
Wishing you the best!
Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake and do an update letter
This is a tough call. I would contact some of the schools on your list and get their advice, getting into dental school is much more than a DAT score. From your first attempt to your 2nd attempt is it apparent you put a lot of work into the Orgo Section and moved your score up 4 points which is great but your scores went down points in some other sections. Why do you think your scores did not improve across the board? Did you focus so much on Orgo you neglected the other sections. You are a good student and I am sure these scores are not what you wanted or expected.
You can apply with these scores and because you are applying to a lot of schools I think should get an interview at a few.
Wishing you the best!
Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers
Thank you!

I would retake and do an update letter
Should I put that I am planning to retake the DAT within my application (the DAT test score section allows me to put a planned date) and would inputting that as opposed to an update letter result in them not considering my application until the new test date? Thank you so much for your time!

Should I put that I am planning to retake the DAT within my application (the DAT test score section allows me to put a planned date) and would inputting that as opposed to an update letter result in them not considering my application until the new test date? Thank you so much for your time!
saying you will retake puts your application on hold...

Hello, I recently retook my DAT and did terribly, but I really want to apply this cycle. I’m not quite sure what to do- whether I have a chance at applying (or wait until next cycle), and if I should retake the DAT in late August and send a letter to the schools that I will be applying. I have included my stats below as well as both my DAT scores. Also, are there any schools recommended for my stats? Thank you so much for your help!

Date of submission: 6/20
Overall GPA: 3.395
Science GPA: 3.700
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 -> 19 AA/ 18 -> 18 TS/ 16->17 PAT/ 18 ->16 OC/ 16 -> 20 BIO/ 20 ->18 GC/ 24 -> 21 RC/ 20 ->22 QR
State of Residence: CA

Undergrad Attended: UCLA
Major: Biology
Minor: no
Minority?
no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? Yes, took 1 gap year

Shadowing Experience:
100 in person general dentist, 190 hours ortho
Volunteering Experience: 150+ hours (tutoring, digital Sherpa for cancer patients)
Employment:
900 hours as dental assistant (7 months) before quitting to focus on shadowing
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: Joined a dental program (Basic dental principles) with UCLA, Did a dental volunteering event for dental screening and will be doing more during the summer
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Honor List 4 quarters
LOR type and strength: Volunteer coordinator (close r/s with coordinator), chemistry professor (not close, but sent professor a strong statement for my LOC), orthodontist (close r/s), stats professor (not close)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: first generation college student, low income
School list
AT Still - AZ
Boston U
Loma Linda
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Touro
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
UOP
U of Nevada, Las Vegas
U of Washington
UNE
USC
Western

I’m not an expert, but I think you should add more safety schools. It seems like the schools you listed are pretty competitive. Also, UW is not OOS friendly so I think you should take that school out unless you have a reason.

Also, someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think stats professor does not count as a science letter. You need 2 science letters for most schools, but those needs to be from your biology, chemistry, biochemistry or physics courses. Since your major is biology, I recommend you to get one from a biology professor. I also graduated from ucla and I’m getting one from life science 7 series professor!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I’m not an expert, but I think you should add more safety schools. It seems like the schools you listed are pretty competitive. Also, UW is not OOS friendly so I think you should take that school out unless you have a reason.

Also, someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think stats professor does not count as a science letter. You need 2 science letters for most schools, but those needs to be from your biology, chemistry, biochemistry or physics courses. Since your major is biology, I recommend you to get one from a biology professor. I also graduated from ucla and I’m getting one from life science 7 series professor!

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your advice and catching that! :) Do you happen to have a list of OOS friendly safety schools?