Application Updates: Please Pose Here to Update What's Happening With Your Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry about case western =( but that's awesome that you've heard back from most of your schools, especially since it seems overwhelmingly positive! Good luck with all of your interviews...you sound like you're going to be super busy in the next month!

Members don't see this ad.

Twiggers, I completely agree with you about how busy thigns are getting! I only applied to 13 schools, but I have 5 interviews so far. Luckily, I was able to schedule Kent State and Case Western within the same few days so I only have to fly to Ohio once. Temple was pretty easy to get to, and my other 2 are in the Bronx and Queens, NY, so that'll be easy. But I'm taking so much time off from work all at once!

I hear ya Sara. Since I"m in CA I am flying all over the place. Missing work and school :-( I'm pretty sure I'm gonna fly to Detroit...hubby says I should stop wasting my time since I'm kinda set on Notre Dame or Purdue, he thinks I'm pulling an ego trip just trying to find out how many I can get into. Really though....I just want to keep my options open.

Also ...I got ahold of Marquette and they're willing to do phone interviews. Phew. She even offered the phone one before I declined. I even said that the airfare on such late notice (only 1 week notice) was just too high, and she completely agreed.

Just found out that Purdue is going to transport me from Indianapolis to Lafayette in a limo...how cool is that! lol

Pup: Thanks! I'm not too bummed about Case Western....I think it's only because I've gotten so many other interviews that I'm too swamped to care.

Members don't see this ad :)
twiggers said:
Also ...I got ahold of Marquette and they're willing to do phone interviews. Phew. She even offered the phone one before I declined. I even said that the airfare on such late notice (only 1 week notice) was just too high, and she completely agreed.

I am surprised that some schools offer their interviews on such short notice. I got invited to interview at Yeshiva and she said the dates were Feb 14-17. That's next week! The alternate date was this Thursday....as in tomorrow. And she called yesterday. I felt like asking "What about people who have to fly??"

Hey everyone,

I received an email about getting interview notification for UT Southwestern during the week of Feb. 7th. I guess I'm getting anxious because it is already Wednesday. Has anyone heard from UT Southwestern yet?

Thanks

I almost wonder if maybe some people turned down interviews and therefore I was next in line to be called??? I don't know....plus this school originally said they would be calling starting last week, and I just heard yesterday.
I laughed when she told me the alternate date was 2 days after the original one...like that would have made a difference in airfare.
I wonder if they realize that when you book flights, you usually need at least 10-14 days to get the good rates.

EL CAPeeeTAN said:
I received a call Monday (2/7) and was invited to interview on March 11th. I was told that I would receive a letter in the mail explaining the whole interview day. I guess it is pretty much an all day interview. I am excited because this is one of my top choices!!!!
Good Luck to everyone!

I just got contacted today via email about the Rosalind Franklin interview. It seems like the person I want to work with is doing good and interesting work, but I'm completely in the dark about the atmosphere of the school in general. Do you have any insight about the atmosphere/reputation of the program? I guess I'm just so used to large state schools at this point...

Northern Illinois sent out invites via email this evening :)

Hey Laxy,
I got the same email from UT southwestern and haven't heard anything yet either. So either they haven't notified people yet or we aren't getting interviewed. Hey, Anyone heard from the University of Houston, they were an earlier app deadline and I haven't heard from them. I'm thinking its a rejection.

Hello All.
I've received interview invitation email from Binghamton University.
Inteview day is 7 March (MON) & 11 March (FRI).

amimi said:
I just got contacted today via email about the Rosalind Franklin interview. It seems like the person I want to work with is doing good and interesting work, but I'm completely in the dark about the atmosphere of the school in general. Do you have any insight about the atmosphere/reputation of the program? I guess I'm just so used to large state schools at this point...

Who is the prof. that you are interested in working with? I listed a few of the profs. The problem was that I found many that were working on things that I would be interested in.
As far as the school goes, from my research I have found that the psych PhD program is highly regarded and the fact that it is based within a medical school there are many opportunities for neuropsych and health psychology. Infact the med school and psych program work closely together on several areas. The practicums are extensive, so the students get a wide range of opportunities to see many different clinical scenarios. The program is a nice mix of research and clinical practice.
I think that they are interviewing 30 people for 9 - 10 spots. Congtrats on the interview.
Are you from Chicago? I live here and if you need any info just let me know.

I got a rejection email from U of South Florida yesterday :(

Twiggers (and everyone else), does anyone know anything about the Clinical Psy (PhD) program at Biola University and Fuller Seminary? Twiggers, I thought you might know because you are from southern CA (?)

Thanks!

Distance: Sorry I don't know.....and my friend who is applying to SoCal schools...those aren't any of hers.

Got invite this morning from Northern Illinois. 3/4 interview date. I'm tossed up....I had semi-committed to Wayne State (who reimburses 150$ of airfare) by telling them that I didn't anticipate having a problem, but not really committing to it.
Then NIU came in with the same date of an interview, but no reimbursement. I like NIU way better than Wayne State.

I only have 3 schools left after this....Uconn, Bloomington, and South Dakota (who doesn't interview). I called UConn and they said they weren't done inviting.

Members don't see this ad :)
EL CAPeeeTAN said:
Who is the prof. that you are interested in working with? I listed a few of the profs. The problem was that I found many that were working on things that I would be interested in.
As far as the school goes, from my research I have found that the psych PhD program is highly regarded and the fact that it is based within a medical school there are many opportunities for neuropsych and health psychology. Infact the med school and psych program work closely together on several areas. The practicums are extensive, so the students get a wide range of opportunities to see many different clinical scenarios. The program is a nice mix of research and clinical practice.
I think that they are interviewing 30 people for 9 - 10 spots. Congtrats on the interview.
Are you from Chicago? I live here and if you need any info just let me know.

I'm interested in working with John Calamari. I'm interested in the risk factors of developing anxiety disorders, and I also have a background in substance abuse research, and he has been studying comorbidity between these two things lately. I possibly listed a couple of additional researchers, but that was during the madness of the application process, so I'm going to have to go back & check.
Your impression seems to match with the little information I had gathered, so that's reassuring.
I'm actually from Southern California (I'm actually ACTUALLY from Texas, just in SoCal for the past couple of years), so Chicago is going to be a whole new experience! I'm sure I'll take advanatage of your offer once the date gets closer. Thanks!

UT Southwestern sent emails about interview notification today.
They will be held on March 5th all day.

Sanman, I haven't heard about U of Houston either.

I just got an email invite for an interview at George Mason U. (clinical) on March 4th or 5th.

(Two invites in two days...exciting!)

Has anyone here heard from CUNY City College in NYC?

I heard Teacher's College started inviting for interviews. The dates are 3/3 and 3/10. I'm not holding out much hope for that one.

I also heard Drexel sent some invites. Interview dates are Feb 18, and another day in Feb, that I can't remember.

Can anyone confirm these?

Thanks, Sara

I interviewed at Finch (aka Rosalind Franklin) last year, and and was offered admission. The program is a good one, and yes, the closeness with the medical school is definitely an advantage for those neuro or health psych inclined. The people are very nice, too. I didn't like not having an undergraduate school because I am very interested in teaching. Also, I didn't like the area (kind of in the middle of nowhere). In any event, overall, it is a very good program that is doing a lot of progressive neuro. research. Hope this helps.

Thanks anono! I'm looking forward to getting out there and getting a look around. The lack of an undergraduate program impacting your teaching experience is something I hadn't thought of.

Has anyone heard from the clinical programs at U. of Arkansas or U. of Iowa? They're the only ones I haven't heard from/ haven't heard about on boards like this.

Thanks!

Received a call from a professor today about interviewing during March 5th at University of Houston.
They have an informal gathering with graduate students on March 4th too.
Hope that helps everyone!

laxyhead said:
Received a call from a professor today about interviewing during March 5th at University of Houston.
They have an informal gathering with graduate students on March 4th too.
Hope that helps everyone!

I got an invite there too...last night! But I don't know if I'll be able to go since I'd already accepted an interview for that weekend at Auburn. Good luck! :D

What are you guys telling people when you're already booked for a weekend?

I've been saying that I have a prior commitment that weekend. I hope it doesn't come off to snobby or anything.

laxyhead said:
UT Southwestern sent emails about interview notification today.
They will be held on March 5th all day.

Sanman, I haven't heard about U of Houston either.
my fiance was called yesterday(2/10) for U of H hope this helps.

twiggers said:
What are you guys telling people when you're already booked for a weekend?

I've been saying that I have a prior commitment that weekend. I hope it doesn't come off to snobby or anything.

Twiggers, I've been honest and said that I've already committed myself to another interview. I think that it's good to let them know that there are other programs interested in you as well.

I had a question for you though...I've been searching high and low for information about "clinical-science" programs and haven't been able to find any. It sounds like there is a distinction between this and "scientist-practioner" however most of the sites I've found use these terms interchangeably. Can you point me in the right direction of where I might find more info? Good luck making a final decision--you sound like a great candidate. I think we will have interviewed at a few of the same places when all is said and done, so maybe we'll be classmates somewhere :)

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Hiya RES,

I will most likely be at NIU. Where else have you interviewed?

Well I was introduced to the term "clinical science" in my clinical psychology class. Basically the distinction is that they are totally focused on science as opposed to an integration. They believe that the clinical training is basically not as important as the "science/research". There are only a handful of schools in the country who label themselves as "clinical science". IN addition (and I may not be correct here) I believe the clinical science definition started around the time of the APA/APS split, and it is more of a APS thing.
If you need more info let me know....I kept all of my notes from my clinical psych class, and I probably have the exact definition at home.

SaraL124 said:
I also heard Drexel sent some invites. Interview dates are Feb 18, and another day in Feb, that I can't remember.

Can anyone confirm these?

Thanks, Sara

Ok, I called Drexel just now and the woman I spoke with said they had not yet invited anyone to interview for the Clinical Psych PhD program. She said invites would go out in a week or so. I guess the other info I had was no good. oops!

Anyone else expecting/hoping to hear from Drexel?

I just got a call for an interview for Missouri-St. Louis. INterview date is 3/4 (of course the same as others I've already committed too).

Also I told Wayne State that I would not be able to make it. They were really nice about it, and offered the telephone interview.

I haven't heard anything yet from these places that I'm supposed to do phone interviews with.....hopefully they all start contacting me soon....between those and live interviews I'm going to be so busy.

All in all...now I only have 4 schools left (and I'm pretty sure I can cross of UConn and Bloomington).

I can't wait for this interview stuff to be done and start getting acceptance/rejection letters so I can plan the next 4 years of my life :)

twiggers said:
Hiya RES,

I will most likely be at NIU. Where else have you interviewed?

Well I was introduced to the term "clinical science" in my clinical psychology class. Basically the distinction is that they are totally focused on science as opposed to an integration. They believe that the clinical training is basically not as important as the "science/research". There are only a handful of schools in the country who label themselves as "clinical science". IN addition (and I may not be correct here) I believe the clinical science definition started around the time of the APA/APS split, and it is more of a APS thing.
If you need more info let me know....I kept all of my notes from my clinical psych class, and I probably have the exact definition at home.

Well, that makes a lot of sense! I actually came across something written by a prof at one of the UC schools that alluded to this, but he never made a clear distinction so I was a bit confused. But I really appreciate you sharing that info with me!

I unfortunately do not think I'll be at the NIU interview. I'd already committed myself to Auburn for that weekend (just the day before actually) by the time I got the NIU invite. It's getting to the point where if I can't do a phone interview, I don't think that I will be able to go to anymore interviews as I currently have 7 scheduled (but have gotten 9 invites). I haven't gone on any yet but am going to Purdue on Monday (I already had another interview scheduled for their interview weekend on the 25th) and then I'm going to Indiana for a more informal interview. Next weekend I'm at Kent State and Miami University of Ohio. After that I'm at Virginia Tech, then Auburn and W. Michigan the 12th of March. I'm hoping that I can do a phone interview for NIU and University of Houston since their interview is the same day and also the same day of the Auburn one. It's getting a tad confusing keeping all this straight. On the other hand, I'd much rather have this dilemma :)

Hey RES-

I'll be at Kent next weekend too! Who are you interested in working with?

Hey,
Just heard from suffolk university. They interview march 4th and 5th as well. Is it just me or are a lot of schools interviewing that weekend. Thats a problem because it seems I applied to a bunch of schools that interview that weekend.

RES:

I totally hear you! I'm beyond confused....and can't even keep half of this straight. I have 4 schools on the 25th, but I had committed to Notre Dame already. I have 3 schools on the 4th of March, and out of them I chose NIU because I like it better.
I think I have a total of 10 invites now. Way too confusing. I'm kind of relieved that I got UW Milwaukee done (the 3 phone interviews)....and as I get denials I am just throwing all my stuff on the college in the trash otherwise stuff gets mixed up.

But I agree....this dilemma is better than the one I had envisioned (not getting in anywhere and scrambling for masters programs).

7 scheduled? ouch on the pocket book! I am only flying to 3. If Wisconsin-Madison HDFS accepts me (I was told I had a really good shot) then I imagine they will have me fly up there too.

I actually gave up on the "this is hurting my pocketbook thing" and decided to go to a few, but then the interview dates all started piling up.

I've typically just told schools that I have a previous committment, I wasn't sure if saying I had an interview sounded bad, like it would make me seem uninterested in their program. I am sure they are inferring that it is because of interviews, these schools have to know that EVERYONE is inviting this month.

Sanman: I have 3 schools for that weekend. 4 schools for the 25th. I think the schools probably realize that this is an issue for students. It's tough because you don't want to turn down anyone, but at the same time you've got to take the chance and go with your higher ranked school.

Is there any way to have bought a crystal ball, and seen which schools were going to invite you, and then we all could have saved a ton of money.

SaraL124 said:
Hey RES-

I'll be at Kent next weekend too! Who are you interested in working with?

Hey SaraL124! I'm applying to work with Stephen Hobfoll...and if memory serves me correctly, so are you, right? I met Dr. Hobfoll at ISTSS this year and he is wicked nice! One if his students is on internship here at the National Center for PTSD at the Boston VA where I work and he loves the program and Dr. Hobfoll. So that is good to hear! Do you know who you're staying with for the weekend? I'll look forward to seeing you there!! :D

twiggers said:
RES:

I totally hear you! I'm beyond confused....and can't even keep half of this straight. I have 4 schools on the 25th, but I had committed to Notre Dame already. I have 3 schools on the 4th of March, and out of them I chose NIU because I like it better.
I think I have a total of 10 invites now. Way too confusing. I'm kind of relieved that I got UW Milwaukee done (the 3 phone interviews)....and as I get denials I am just throwing all my stuff on the college in the trash otherwise stuff gets mixed up.

But I agree....this dilemma is better than the one I had envisioned (not getting in anywhere and scrambling for masters programs).

7 scheduled? ouch on the pocket book! I am only flying to 3. If Wisconsin-Madison HDFS accepts me (I was told I had a really good shot) then I imagine they will have me fly up there too.

I actually gave up on the "this is hurting my pocketbook thing" and decided to go to a few, but then the interview dates all started piling up.

I've typically just told schools that I have a previous committment, I wasn't sure if saying I had an interview sounded bad, like it would make me seem uninterested in their program. I am sure they are inferring that it is because of interviews, these schools have to know that EVERYONE is inviting this month.

Well the whole pocketbook thing is where I'm at right now. I've been extremely lucky in that one program I am interviewing at is paying for my whole ride down there--airfare, hotel, everything--that's a good deal for me. Two of my other programs have offered me partial reimbursement (up to $150 each) so that helps a little too. For my final two interviews, the ones in March, I'm gonna see if I can use some of my frequent flyer miles since I've racked up a ton. I guess we'll see. I guess I knew going into this process that it'd be expensive, but I look at it as an investment in my future. It'll pay off, in about 10 years, but still :laugh: I think it's probably a bit tougher on you cause from some of your posts, I'm assuming that you are a student?? If that is the case, I admire you because I know that as a student, I would never have been able to afford this process. I've been working for about 3 years now so it's been a bit easier on me financially, but still quite a burden.

Unfortunately, I think that programs that are making interview offers this late have to realize that if someone declines it's probably due to another interview commitment so I agree with you (about just saying that you have another commitment). I had done that originally, and then just started saying that unfortunately I'd already committed myself to another interview. I hope that they respect the fact that I stick to my commitments kinda thing, you know?

RES said:
Hey SaraL124! I'm applying to work with Stephen Hobfoll...and if memory serves me correctly, so are you, right? I met Dr. Hobfoll at ISTSS this year and he is wicked nice! One if his students is on internship here at the National Center for PTSD at the Boston VA where I work and he loves the program and Dr. Hobfoll. So that is good to hear! Do you know who you're staying with for the weekend? I'll look forward to seeing you there!! :D

You're memory is correct. I am also applying to work with Dr. Hobfoll. He has been really helpful so far in answering a lot of my questions via email and such. The people who I've been working with cite him all the time, so I think that's what led me to him. When he called me to invite me to interview he said he unfortunately wasn't going to be there on the 19th. That is really dissapointing because I really would have loved the chance to meet with him and speak to him about his research.
Did he tell you that too? I suppose we'll just meet with his grad students instead of him.

I actually emailed with another student who worked with him and is now on her internship in VA and she said he was such a great advisor. I'm really excited!!!

I'm actually not staying with a student becasue my parents live in Cleveland, so my mom volunteered to drive me down for the "party" on Fri night, and the interview on Saturday.
I hope that won't hurt my chances.

SaraL124 said:
You're memory is correct. I am also applying to work with Dr. Hobfoll. He has been really helpful so far in answering a lot of my questions via email and such. The people who I've been working with cite him all the time, so I think that's what led me to him. When he called me to invite me to interview he said he unfortunately wasn't going to be there on the 19th. That is really dissapointing because I really would have loved the chance to meet with him and speak to him about his research.
Did he tell you that too? I suppose we'll just meet with his grad students instead of him.

I actually emailed with another student who worked with him and is now on her internship in VA and she said he was such a great advisor. I'm really excited!!!

I'm actually not staying with a student becasue my parents live in Cleveland, so my mom volunteered to drive me down for the "party" on Fri night, and the interview on Saturday.
I hope that won't hurt my chances.

Yea, he did tell me the same thing (about not being there on the 19th). I think I first became interested in his work the same way (my mentors/bosses work with him often) and we do a lot of PTSD and risk and resilience stuff here so he seemed like a good fit. I don't think it will hurt your chances at all, especially since you'll be there for the party!

Yes RES I am a student. Married and with a whole lot of bills :-(

twiggers said:
Yes RES I am a student. Married and with a whole lot of bills :-(

I can feel your pain! Married 2 kids, I am changing careers and have been the main source of revenue for the family. Luckily my wife is very understanding!! It will all work out. Hang in there everyone. Doing what you love is priceless.

...sent out invites tonight via email. Interview weekend is, surprise, surprise March 4th. Of course it's that weekend because I have the potential of four interviews that weekend (but can obviously only go to one). Hoping they'll phone interview...

Rubba21 said:
Hey all! So this is my first post, and I like all of you am worried about the interview process. But hopefully everything will work out for all of us. That being said, has anyone received information about interviews from the following schools' clinical programs...UCONN, U. of Denver, American, GWU, Suffolk, Rutgers, FDU, Binghamton, Long Island University, CUNY, Drexel or UPitt?? Thanks and good luck to you all!

My top 3 choices were CUNY, Rutgers (PsyD), and FDU.

I was invited to a CUNY interview on Thursday night2/10 :). It was my first invite. My valentine treats consisted of calls for interviews from Adelphi, and Yeshiva who I thought were done inviting.

I called FDU 2/11, as I knew a lot of people who had interviews there that weekend and unfortunately they told me they were done inviting applicants. :(

Now that people have started to hear from Rutgers (PsyD) I am anxiously waiting.

I called GW (PhD), Fordham, and Lehigh (Counseling) this morning as I know all have done some inviting. All I know is that they got my applications and the departments are reviewing them.... the waiting continues.

I am still awaiting LIU Brooklyn. Has anyone heard from them?

Hi everyone,

I've just been reading these posts and I just wanted to tell everyone how much I admire you all. It's funny how many different people are coming from all walks of life to pursue psychology.

I'm just graduating undergrad this year and hearing from people who have been out in the workforce returning to pursue psychology is really encouraging. At least I don't feel as reckless in pursuing something I like for the sake of something practical (finance - my major).

And everyone is right, you only need 1 interview and one school to accept you when all is said and done. Press on everyone! Good luck with ALL your interviews :)

SFS said:
My top 3 choices were CUNY, Rutgers (PsyD), and FDU.

I was invited to a CUNY interview on Thursday night :). It was my first invite.

I am still awaiting LIU Brooklyn. Has anyone heard from them?

Congrats on CUNY. That's one of my top choices too, but I haven't heard from them yet. Hopefully they'll take a few days to call everyone....

I am also still waiting on LIU Brooklyn...but I also only submitted my app on 2/1 which was their deadline date. So they may still be reviewing applications. good luck!

A few schools I've heard from have not been listed yet:

University of Rhode Island
University of Missouri - St. Louis
CUNY - city college (was it mentioned or just asked about, got a call last night from them)

Does anyone know anyone who goes to the Clinical program at URI or does anyone have any opinions about the program. That interview conflicts with another and I am trying to get as much info as I can before I decide.

I'm not sure if any one else on here applied to the clinical program at Arkansas, but I just got an invite for their interviews--Sunday Feb. 27th & Monday Feb. 28th.

Paendrag said:
I know two Fuller graduates, both in neuropsychology. They have done well. It appears that students are able to do research with UCLA professors, given the close proximity. That's nice. However, the school rapes their students financially. We're talking 8k+ per semester, having to pay on internship (other programs don't do this), and little in the way of support. It's like a professional school in that regard. If you have another option, I'd take it.

Yeah....they don't provide much funding for student since it's a private school...plus you don't get to get much $$ for being a TA since they don't have undergraduate body. But i am really interested in spirituality and it seems Fuller and Biola are the only PhD program that's doing those kind of stuff....Hey, by the way, do you know how did you two Fuller graduate friends got hook to UCLA professors and do research with them??

Got the official rejection letter from Loyola-Chicago, dated 2/10.

Got an email from a school that I had to decline going to. I had told them that I could not afford to fly out and had school committments that weekend. Then I got an email back the same day telling me that they "found" another 250$ that they could give me for travel reimbursements. I had to decline the offer because I had prior committments on the weekends they had available to come down. Overall they were really understanding about it. I just thought I'd mention it in case this ever happens to someone else out there.

Also heard from Missouri-St. Louis, 3/4 interview date.

I just got an e-mail this morning saying that I have been invited to interview for GWU clicnical program (PsyD). I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. The interview dates are Feb 26 and March 5th.

well, I just recieved a call from Virginia consortium ( my only PsyD program), they interiew feb 25 and march 4 (of course). Anybody heard anything from georgia state university or American U.? Anyone rejected from U of Houston? Just curious b/c I haven't been called, so I guess its a rejection.