Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think i just got into Cal.... super excited! just graduated from there so it would be nice to go back.

Members don't see this ad.

Which program? How did you find out?

i think i just got into Cal.... super excited! just graduated from there so it would be nice to go back.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks mate! best of luck! such a tedious process...

Congratulations!

p.s. I'm Canadian so please pardon my ignorance - by Cal, do you mean UC Berkeley or another UC campus or a whole other school entirely?

Congratulations! Still waiting over here too, when did you submit everything?

futuredwight, "Cal" is California-speak for UC Berkeley.

Just got an email saying I'm in at Yale!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!

p.s. I'm Canadian so please pardon my ignorance - by Cal, do you mean UC Berkeley or another UC campus or a whole other school entirely?

Thanks! and yes, i meant UC Berkeley. best of luck

Congratulations! Still waiting over here too, when did you submit everything?

I submitted on the 26th or so of November.

Congrats. Mind telling me what department and on what date Yale emailed you and told you your app was complete?

Got news this week from Drexel and SLU - admitted to both! Epi programs in both of 'em. Heard from both via e-mail first, then got my admittance package in the mail from Drexel almost the next day.

Got a merit scholarship from Drexel too - haven't gotten my official admittance package from SLU yet though.

Stats:
GRE Take 1: 630V, 530Q, 4
GRE Take 2: 167V, 152Q, 4.5
GPA: 2.9
Undergrad major at UMinn in Individualized Studies (Public health, child psychology, and Asian languages and literature)
Experience: Almost a year studying to be a doula (labor assistant), a year as an EMT, and about a year's worth of experience as a research assistant, mostly psychology-related.

Still waiting on UMinn and UIC, but UIC's already out, I've decided. So 1 more school decision and I can make an actual choice!

Got news this week from Drexel and SLU - admitted to both! Epi programs in both of 'em. Heard from both via e-mail first, then got my admittance package in the mail from Drexel almost the next day.

Got a merit scholarship from Drexel too - haven't gotten my official admittance package from SLU yet though.

Stats:
GRE Take 1: 630V, 530Q, 4
GRE Take 2: 167V, 152Q, 4.5
GPA: 2.9
Undergrad major at UMinn in Individualized Studies (Public health, child psychology, and Asian languages and literature)
Experience: Almost a year studying to be a doula (labor assistant), a year as an EMT, and about a year's worth of experience as a research assistant, mostly psychology-related.

Still waiting on UMinn and UIC, but UIC's already out, I've decided. So 1 more school decision and I can make an actual choice!

Congrats! Have you visited SLU before?

Haven't visited the actual campus before, no, but I've been in the area quite a few times because that's where my boyfriend's from. Thinking about taking advantage of one of the visit days, if I can scrape together the money to do it. But then I want to visit Drexel too, and I've -never- been to Philadelphia...

Haven't visited the actual campus before, no, but I've been in the area quite a few times because that's where my boyfriend's from. Thinking about taking advantage of one of the visit days, if I can scrape together the money to do it. But then I want to visit Drexel too, and I've -never- been to Philadelphia...

They recently completed a remodel and it looks really nice. I was happy to see that all of the faculty were genuinely interested in each other's research. I walked away with extremely positive things to say about the school.

Drexel was on my list, but I didn't apply and I'm kicking myself for not doing so.

In at UNC!!!! MPH- Health Behavior Health Education!! Woke up to an email telling me to check my application status.

I am so unbelievably happy- it was my first choice!

Was accepted to George Washington University - Prevention & Community Health MPH Program today via email! They mentioned my "offer package" being finalize by next week.. so maybe a scholarship?

Congrats to all with acceptances so far! :highfive:

Applied: BU, Columbia, GW, Upitt, Uconn, NYU, Drexel, Dartmouth, NYMC
Accepted: UPitt, NYMC, Drexel, BU, Dartmouth, NYU, GW

waiting on the rest...

In at UNC!!!! MPH- Health Behavior Health Education!! Woke up to an email telling me to check my application status.

I am so unbelievably happy- it was my first choice!

Yay congrats!! :) I might be going there too!

I got a rejection via e-mail from Yale today (Chronic Disease Epi). I submitted in early November. I figured I'd share since this whole time I'd been wondering if anyone had been rejected yet.

Accepted: BU, Drexel (merit award from both), Tulane, GW, and Pitt
Rejected: Yale
Waiting: Columbia

I got an informal rejection from UNC (MPH in Maternal and Child Health) when I emailed to ask about scheduling an interview. Sad for the first response to be bad news . . .

Applied: BU, Tulane, UIC, UNC, USF, UW
Accepted: ?
Rejected: UNC

(3.25 GPA undergrad from top university, 3.8 GPA in M.S. in non-health field, 161/162/5.0 VQA; 7 years in nonprofit management; 1.5 in public health)

Last edited:
I got an informal rejection from UNC (MPH in Maternal and Child Health) when I emailed to ask about scheduling an interview. Sad for the first response to be bad news . . .

Applied: BU, Tulane, UIC, UNC, USF, UW
Accepted: ?
Rejected: UNC

(3.25 GPA undergrad from top university, 3.8 GPA in M.S. in non-health field, 161/162/5.0 VQA; 7 years in nonprofit management; 1.5 in public health)

Sorry to hear that. I'm shocked to be honest. I've read so many others with lower stats getting in.

Here's to hoping to better! :thumbup:

Sorry to hear that. I'm shocked to be honest. I've read so many others with lower stats getting in.

Here's to hoping to better! :thumbup:
I don't have a lot of MCH experience, so I knew UNC was a stretch. I have higher hopes for other programs.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from UCLA or Berkeley yet?? I'm getting really nervous :(

Bruin106, I also applied to both UCLA and Berkeley, and my understanding is that they tend to send out notifications a bit later than other schools. Few applicants on this board seem to have heard back from either school yet, so I'm doing my best to relax about it for the time being. Hopefully we will have some news closer to March.

Hey There,

I'm still sort of on the fence about public health schools. Public health has always been a passion of mine, but I am having a difficult time finding the right match for me. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction regarding the following questions?

-Distinctions of each school: what makes each school unique?
-Focus of each school: guess it's the same as above, but what area of public health is each school known to focus on?
-Student focus: which schools are known to place a high emphasis on students?
-In addition, I'm interested in schools that bring in students who see public health as a career and not as a transitioning degree between undergraduate and medical school with no commitment to public health. From aquaintences, I know that many students who could not get into medical school, use the MPH as a GPA booster or whatever. I definitely do not want to be surrounded by students who don't see a career in public health. I would love to be able to talk to current students at PH schools. Are these current students on any particular forum?

Aside from looking at each school's website, where would I be able to find this info?

As for me, I have a dual interest in public health and medicine. I see myself working administratively and clinically to address population-wide issues and diseases at the individual level and hence I am aiming for an MD/MPH. However, I'd like to be in an environment where people take public health seriously and not as a resume booster.

My stats:
MCAT: 32Q
GPA (According to SOPHAS): 3.863

Applied: UMichigan (MPH/RD Human Nutrition) Tulane (MSPH Trop. Med.), Yale (MPH Epi of Mic. Dis.), Columbia (MPH Epi), Emory (MPH Epi)
Accepted: UMich, Tulane, Emory

Anyone know what this is about?

"Thank you for applying to the University of Michigan, School of Public Health via SOPHAS. The University of Michigan requires a separate non-refundable application processing fee in addition to the SOPHAS fee. Please submit your payment as soon as possible to avoid any delay in the processing of your application."

I've already been accepted to UMich and UNC, and I would choose UNC over UMich, so I'm thinking I should withdraw my application.

Still waiting for HBHE from UNC. I know people have been both rejected and accepted thus far. Not quite sure why I have yet to hear. I e-mailed the admissions woman on Tuesday and still no response. I'm losing hope daily :(

Did anyone apply for the Chronic Disease Epi MS program at Yale? Has anyone heard back? I know they have sent out a lot of the MPH acceptences but I wasn't sure about the MS program. Thanks!

Applied: Yale (CDE PhD, MS), Brown Epi (ScM, PhD), BU Epi (MS, PhD), Emory Epi (MSPH, PhD), Harvard (SD, 80 Credit SM)
Accepted: Emory Epi MSPH
Rejected: Emory PhD (not official, assumed), Yale CDE PhD (not official, assumed)

If anyone is waiting for UC Berkeley, I advise searching through your spam folder or directly searching your email with the term "Berkeley." For some reason my Gmail didn't deliver them to my Inbox, but I found it after searching.

I'm in at Berkeley!!

Ok, weeeeew,
I could feel the heat and sweat emanating from my body while the interview was on.

I just finished my interview with a faculty member from UNC MCH department.
He didn't sound so impressed (just assuming).
I seemed to have focused on just 2 of the numerous activities I have been engaged in.
Suddenly he also threw me off balance by asking me a question which was in my c.v but did a long while

Also, I just called UC Berkeley and I was told I was offered admission and would be hearing form the school of public health next week:cool::soexcited:

Hi, so nice to hear from someone who is in the same boat with me. I applied to the General Epi anyway. The coordinator informed me that all international students will be considered for the Dean's Award, which is full or partial tuition fee. There is only 1 award though. Other than that, external funding (where are you from? any funding from your country?) or GA/TA... =). I don't have a high hope for funding anyway haha

I am a doctor from India... As of now, I am applying for funding from my country but it is highly unlikely that there are much avenues available here with regard to funding. I was told the same about funding. All international students will be shortlisted... So, keeping fingers crossed....

EpiWin, Congrats!! Which program at Berkeley did you get in for? I'm still waiting to hear back...

Ok, weeeeew,
I could feel the heat and sweat emanating from my body while the interview was on.

I just finished my interview with a faculty member from UNC MCH department.
He didn't sound so impressed (just assuming).
I seemed to have focused on just 2 of the numerous activities I have been engaged in.
Suddenly he also threw me off balance by asking me a question which was in my c.v but did a long while

Also, I just called UC Berkeley and I was told I was offered admission and would be hearing form the school of public health next week:cool::soexcited:
What did you ask the admissions office when you called Berkeley and found out about your acceptance?

Just accepted to the University of Connecticut! I happened to check my online status/application and there was a link, "Your admissions decision is available as of 2/10". Only a few more places to hear from now... then it's decision time :eek:

Applied: BU, Columbia, GW, Upitt, UConn, NYU, Drexel, Dartmouth, NYMC, Brown
Accepted: UPitt, NYMC, Drexel, BU, Dartmouth, NYU, GW, UConn

Waiting: Columbia, Brown

@Bruin106, I applied to the maternal and child health department.

Me: Good morning. I'm calling to find out if any decisions have been made concerning my applications as I got a call from a faculty member last week

Admission coordinator: Yes, we have actually referred your applications to the graduate school for admissions. You should be hearing from the school of public health next week.

That was it!! :thumbup:

I just called the School of Public Health office and asked if they knew when admissions decisions would be complete. She told me "Each committee does it differently, but they should come out between early March and April." Perhaps some VIPs got notice a bit earlier, but I wouldn't take UCB off the table until you receive a sold decision from them.

EpiWin, Congrats!! Which program at Berkeley did you get in for? I'm still waiting to hear back...

Thanks! I applied for MPH Epi/Biostats, the email was from two days back.

I'm a first time poster, long time lurker, and received my first acceptance today -- in at UIC Maternal and Child Health! I am incredibly relieved to *finally* hear from one of my schools. They also offered a tuition waiver for the Fall semester and a three month stipend, which was totally unexpected!

Stats:
Interests - understanding how and when social inequality becomes biologically embedded/intervention programs aimed at improving developmental and health outcomes for children experiencing early adversity
Undergrad - 2008 grad from an Ivy, Human Development and Neuroscience major
cGPA - 3.7, major - 3.9
GRE - 570v, 720q, 5.0
Experience - mostly research, including 1.5 years in a childhood poverty lab, 1 year in a developmental cognitive neuroscience lab, and 1.5 years years at non-profit organization; honors thesis; co-authorship of high impact journal publication and book chapter; 1 year volunteering as an after-school tutor for underserved HS students; EMT and some hospital ER volunteering; 4 years writing for a disability advocacy newsletter

Also, I called Michigan a few days ago, and the woman I spoke with said the HBHE dept. is behind schedule this year. She also mentioned that admissions decisions are released on Fridays, so for anyone else who is waiting to hear from UM, we can hold off until Fridays to freak out :)

-----
Waiting: Michigan (HBHE), Yale (SBS), Harvard (SHDH)
Accepted: UIC (Community Health Sciences, Maternal and Child Health
Rejected:

Hey All,

I know people on this site are all applying for similar MPH programs, so I thought I'd chime in about my results thus far to calm (or stir up) the butterflies a bit.

I sent in all applications at the end of September or the beginning of October and this is where I've been accepted as of now:

Emory GH (via application site mid January), Yale SBS with GH Concentration (via email late January), BU IH (via email mid November), Michigan HBHE (via email today), and UNC HBHE (via email today).

Still waiting on Columbia and UW, but I'll probably go with one of the above schools with my final decision.

Take care everyone and good luck!

Also, I called Michigan a few days ago, and the woman I spoke with said the HBHE dept. is behind schedule this year. She also mentioned that admissions decisions are released on Fridays, so for anyone else who is waiting to hear from UM, we can hold off until Fridays to freak out :)

Thanks for this!:thumbup:

Any news from HSPH?

I just heard back from Berkeley yesterday. Accepted to epi/biostats.