Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know whether or not schools will send admissions emails over the weekend?

I doubt it... someone probably has to be in the office for that. M-F are the only days we'll hear something I assume. However I'm guilty of checking on the weekends...just in case!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed Yale about when to expect to receive a decision. They said all decisions should be mailed out by the end of Feb. Given its been a month since my app was complete and I haven't heard anything, I'm assuming its a no.

My application was complete on Nov 29 and I still haven't heard anything. There's a lot of us in the same boat; keep your head up!

Since being admitted last Friday, I've received a couple of emails from Yale including one just sent out 6 hours ago from a faculty in the CDE program. Looks like some of them do work during the weekends, since there are more decisions need to be made.

I doubt it... someone probably has to be in the office for that. M-F are the only days we'll hear something I assume. However I'm guilty of checking on the weekends...just in case!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was complete on Nov 29 and I still haven't heard anything. There's a lot of us in the same boat; keep your head up!

I haven't heard of anyone being rejected and those who were accepted typically heard in 2-3 weeks. I'm worrying that Yale is waiting to send rejections out until the end of the process.

2-3 weeks from what?

I'm still waiting for the application complete e-mail from Yale. Does anyone know how long that takes? SOPHAS sent my app on 1/24 and it was confirmed received on 1/31.

I haven't heard of anyone being rejected and those who were accepted typically heard in 2-3 weeks. I'm worrying that Yale is waiting to send rejections out until the end of the process.

Well you and I share the same thought, but I'm was trying to be optimistic!

heya...congrats:)

I applied for MPH (Epidemiology too) for FALL 2012

Admitted : form Boston(with merit scholarship), Emory
Waiting:Columbia, UCLA

Do u have any idea as to which is better Emory or Boston

Epi2014, is that information for BUSPH in general, or a specific department?
Hi,
I got Admitted to BU in mid January...Although not yet decide wether shud i go for Emory( Epi) or BUSPH (Epi)

Hello everyone!

Like many others, I've been lurking for quite some time and I thought I should contribute my info:

College: BA in Public Health Studies (3.25 GPA) with a strong Epi background.

GRE: 163V, 157Q, 4.5 Writing

Experience: lots of seemingly irrelevant, non-public-health work/research and I've been working at the MN Department of Health since last spring .

Applied: Hopkins (MHS in Epi), Harvard (SM 80-credit), Yale (MPH in EMD), Tulane (MS in Epi), UMinn (MPH in Epi)

Accepted: Tulane, UMinn

Rejected: none... yet.

I'm not expecting much from Harvard or Yale, but I'm hoping that Hopkins will be kind to me...

Man o Man,

After seeing someone post about the MPH/MBA from JHU, I was curious and decided to check it out. Then I saw the cost and was literally like :eek:

Checked out a few other schools, and good God, how are all of you paying for all of this!? I really hope many of you got scholarships!

Man o Man,

After seeing someone post about the MPH/MBA from JHU, I was curious and decided to check it out. Then I saw the cost and was literally like :eek:

Checked out a few other schools, and good God, how are all of you paying for all of this!? I really hope many of you got scholarships!

Totally agree. It's a HUGE hurdle.

Speaking of cost, I was admitted to Minnesota's MCH program today, and was pleased to learn that, even for out-of-state students, it is significantly less expensive than Emory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man o Man,

Haha, I agree. The MPH/MBA program at JHU is a lot of money, but allow me to offer my explanation for pursuing the joint degrees. (Anyone is welcome to PM me if you want to discuss further and not crowd this thread):

Figures for the 2012-2013 school year:

The cost of the MPH/MBA program is $88,608 (8 terms)

The cost of a stand-alone 11-month MPH at JHU is $55,380

One way to look at it is that I am getting an MBA for $33,228. Not bad.

I understand that an MBA from Hopkins is not an MBA from Penn, MIT, Chicago, UVA, Harvard, not even close. I get that. But my point being, you are getting arguably the best MPH in the country with an MBA (that will get stronger/ranked over time...) for a cheap price. If you were to get an MPH from Hopkins with an MBA from any of the schools I just named, you're talking costs in the 135K+ range. I don't know off the top of my head, but I would think that even an MBA from an average state-school program for in-state tuition will cost you more than 33K...

So you probably shouldn't get an MBA from Hopkins if you want to go work on Wall-Street or go into banking or finance. However, an MBA from Hopkins coupled with one of Hopkins' strengths (public health)...and you have a pretty sweet combo if you want to go into healthcare consulting, global health management, international development, federal jobs, private, etc. etc.

I have talked with several students from the current MPH/MBA class who just finished in December or who are graduating this semester and ALL of them have job offers and are looking at starting salaries in the 75,000-110,000 range. Not bad.

Finally, the program is 18 or 21 months and this just means you have higher earning potential sooner (because most MPH/MBA programs require a minimum of 3 years, or if you got the degrees separately, 4 years). That's one extra year to earn that 75,000-110,000.

Just got an email congratulating me on my acceptance to Emory's Global Environmental Health program :)

Just got an email congratulating me on my acceptance to Emory's Global Environmental Health program :)

Congrats on your Emory acceptance!

Is anyone planning on going to Visit Emory? I definitely am and it would be great to meet some of you that are going as well!

Is anyone planning on going to Visit Emory? I definitely am and it would be great to meet some of you that are going as well!

Thanks :) Are you going for the Visit Emory day (Mar 22-23)? I think I might... I am a little hesitant about going to Atlanta so that might help me get a better idea of what it would be like to live there for a couple of years.

I'm planning on heading down!

Haha, I agree. The MPH/MBA program at JHU is a lot of money, but allow me to offer my explanation for pursuing the joint degrees. (Anyone is welcome to PM me if you want to discuss further and not crowd this thread):

Figures for the 2012-2013 school year:

The cost of the MPH/MBA program is $88,608 (8 terms)

The cost of a stand-alone 11-month MPH at JHU is $55,380

One way to look at it is that I am getting an MBA for $33,228. Not bad.

I understand that an MBA from Hopkins is not an MBA from Penn, MIT, Chicago, UVA, Harvard, not even close. I get that. But my point being, you are getting arguably the best MPH in the country with an MBA (that will get stronger/ranked over time...) for a cheap price. If you were to get an MPH from Hopkins with an MBA from any of the schools I just named, you're talking costs in the 135K+ range. I don't know off the top of my head, but I would think that even an MBA from an average state-school program for in-state tuition will cost you more than 33K...

So you probably shouldn't get an MBA from Hopkins if you want to go work on Wall-Street or go into banking or finance. However, an MBA from Hopkins coupled with one of Hopkins' strengths (public health)...and you have a pretty sweet combo if you want to go into healthcare consulting, global health management, international development, federal jobs, private, etc. etc.

I have talked with several students from the current MPH/MBA class who just finished in December or who are graduating this semester and ALL of them have job offers and are looking at starting salaries in the 75,000-110,000 range. Not bad.

Finally, the program is 18 or 21 months and this just means you have higher earning potential sooner (because most MPH/MBA programs require a minimum of 3 years, or if you got the degrees separately, 4 years). That's one extra year to earn that 75,000-110,000.

Yeah, I'm shocked UT Houston is so cheap compared to many other schools. My MPH in Epi will cost me a total of about 15k. I plan on getting a PhD in Epi or maybe do an MBA. I wish I knew about the MPH/MBA. That sure would have been neat to apply to!

Thanks :) Are you going for the Visit Emory day (Mar 22-23)? I think I might... I am a little hesitant about going to Atlanta so that might help me get a better idea of what it would be like to live there for a couple of years.

I love Atlanta! I live in DC currently but I have family in Atlanta so I go to visit alot.

OneDay81 and EpiWin, we should all meet up down there, and whoever else on here who's going to Visit Emory too! I don't know anyone personally at Emory so it would be great to make some friends before everything starts!

I am trying to work out the details with my job right now. It's only about 6 1/2 hours from me so I would really like to go.

Besides the crazy drivers, Atlanta really is a great place to live.

Same as OneDay, trying to organize work schedule around missing two weekdays. Guess that's what I save my vacation days for :rolleyes:

Can I just say how rediculously slow Columbia and USC's admissions process is. I for one am quite perturbed that it takes these schools over 3.5 months to admit or deny someone. If only all applicants could rally together and withdraw their applications to prove a point....

Just felt like venting a bit. If any admissions officer's from each respective school are scowering this forum, I hope this message serves you well.

On a side note, I wish everyone good fortune with their applications. Cheers.

I agree. Some schools seem ridiculously slow, while others seem really, really fast. I got my acceptance to Emory within 8 days!

Agreed. Berkeley has me most worried. They had one of the earliest deadlines and yet they have a no-contact policy until a decision has been made. What's worse: no indication on their website when that process will even begin. The only morsel of information: everyone will be notified by April 15.

Good grief...

Agreed. Berkeley has me most worried. They had one of the earliest deadlines and yet they have a no-contact policy until a decision has been made. What's worse: no indication on their website when that process will even begin. The only morsel of information: everyone will be notified by April 15.

Good grief...

UNC is like that too, it seems. It's very frustrating when you have to submit super early and the school still doesn't get back to you until way later...Not good for neurotic people like me...

Good grief...
Hi there. I also applied to Berkeley and earlier this week I sent an email to the contact of the stream I applied to (health and social behavior), asking whether they received the SOPHAS portion of my application since I was getting worried about the lack of contact. (I had no idea there was a no-contact policy; knowing this now, I'm not sure I would email.) She told me my application was under review and that the official deadline date for notification is April 15, but were hopeful to notify applicants by the end of the month. Hold tight, and best of luck to you!

GRE: V510 Q800 A3.5:)sleep:)
TOEFL:111
undergrad in bioengineering, gpa: 3.5; ms in biochem, gpa: 3.9
1.5 year as research assistant

applied: JHU, Harvard, Umich, Emory, UM, UCLA, UCB, GWU, YALE, BU
accepted: Umich(HME), Emory(globe epi), GWU(epi&stat), YALE(epi in microbial disease)
rejected: UM

Last edited:
Congrats on your acceptances! When was your application complete to Yale and how long did they take to give you a decision?

well, i pretty much finished all the schools on 11/30. Yale confirmed my admission on jan 20 via email. hope this helps

Accepted: Yale CDE, UMinn Epi, and UIC Community Health MPH programs.
Applied: Yale, U Minn, UIC, UCLA (Community Health), Johns Hopkins (MSPH in HBS), Columbia (Pop and Fam Health), and U Mich (HBHE).

GPA=3.6, and GRE = 1410. I have a good science background, did some tutoring, and volunteering in the hospital as well. Looking forward to hearing back from UMich now. I applied to its HBHE program.

Is it possible to do a dual concentration in HBHE and Epi at UMich?

Last edited:
Anyone apply to UMinn for their Epi PhD? If so, heard anything?

I applied early Nov, their website says "approx 8 weeks" so I emailed to check on the status and was told on 1/24 that my application was being reviewed for a second time at that week's meeting. They said it was reviewed at an earlier meeting but set aside to be revisited and that this was "not necessarily a bad sign, I assure you." Haven't heard a word since. Thoughts?

Oh man, Emory's visit day is March 22-23? UNC's is March 23rd (I asked--they haven't officially announced it yet). Hmm. :/

Yale finally verified that my application was complete today--took them a month!

Oh man, Emory's visit day is March 22-23? UNC's is March 23rd (I asked--they haven't officially announced it yet). Hmm. :/

Yale finally verified that my application was complete today--took them a month!

This might be a silly question, but is UNC's visit day the same for all departments?

Just registered for Visit Emory! OneDay81, EpiWin, and j12345, I agree that it would be great to meet down there as I don't know anyone at Emory either! Just a little information about myself, I'm currently a senior undergrad at UMBC and I've been accepted to the MPH in Epi at Emory. Am I the only current undergrad on here...?

I love Atlanta! I live in DC currently but I have family in Atlanta so I go to visit alot.

OneDay81 and EpiWin, we should all meet up down there, and whoever else on here who's going to Visit Emory too! I don't know anyone personally at Emory so it would be great to make some friends before everything starts!

In at UMDNJ for Epidemiology (I'm hoping to do the MPH/MS too, though, so we'll see)

Rejected from Drexel. I had issues with SOPHAS, so I'm waiting to hear back from everyone else.

Just registered for Visit Emory! OneDay81, EpiWin, and j12345, I agree that it would be great to meet down there as I don't know anyone at Emory either! Just a little information about myself, I'm currently a senior undergrad at UMBC and I've been accepted to the MPH in Epi at Emory. Am I the only current undergrad on here...?

I'm also an undergrad senior. I'm still waiting to hear back from Emory (my app was forwarded to the EPI and EH department Dec 12!!!) . I applied to the joint EH/EPI and the EH track. Last summer I was fortunate enough to have an internship at CDC in the NCEH. It was my first time in ATL so I stayed in Emory housing and was able to meet with some faculty and soon fell in love with the city and the school. If I'm accepted soon I would definately like to meet up with you guys, and could even show you around (a little).

This might be a silly question, but is UNC's visit day the same for all departments?

Yes, it is a school-wide visit day, but whether or not every department participates, I'm not sure! I'm in nutrition.

I checked my OPUS account this morning and found 2 items in my to-do list: an Enrollment Decision Form, and an Enrollment Deposit. I called Admissions who told me that meant I've been accepted and the formal letter will be coming soon :D SO HAPPY AND EXCITED. RSPH is one of my top choices!!!!

I was wondering if anyone knew how to check WHICH program I have been selected for. I put 3 choices down and am not sure which one of those I've gotten acceptance into.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm a new poster who has been lurking for awhile. This board is fantastic!

GRE: math 151 verbal 162
GPA : 3.46
Work experience: 4 years practice mgmt and Heath insurance plus a few years in a non-health field

Applied: UMich (MHSA), Columbia, Yale, JHU, Emory, Harvard (MPH)
Accepted: Emory, JHU
Rejections:
Accepted:

Has anyone received a decision from Harvard yet?

Anyone applied to their MPH but accepted to their MS-HCM instead? Or vice versa?

Great! It will definitely be nice to have some people to meet up with at Visit Emory. GreeniPad that would be awesome if you could show us around!

I checked my OPUS account this morning and found 2 items in my to-do list: an Enrollment Decision Form, and an Enrollment Deposit. I called Admissions who told me that meant I've been accepted and the formal letter will be coming soon :D SO HAPPY AND EXCITED. RSPH is one of my top choices!!!!

I was wondering if anyone knew how to check WHICH program I have been selected for. I put 3 choices down and am not sure which one of those I've gotten acceptance into.

Thanks!

Happy for you! looks to me that you mush have been accepted on the first choice you made :) btw, what was your status, if i may ask and when was your application complete?

Why does it seem like I am the only person who seems to have received an acceptance email from Emory? I also received an email from one of the professors the same day.

Ah. I just checked and it was from the department of EH, specifically. I guess that is why.

Now I just checked OPUS and there isn't an admission decision or anything on my to do list. How strange!

Last edited:

Thanks!
I think I remember reading here that applicants whose Emory applications have been forwarded to second-choice departments were notified of this by email, whether or not new personal essays were required. So, if you have not received any such message, I think there is a good chance that you have been accepted to your first-choice department.

By the way, after I noticed that my To Do section had been updated, I only had to wait one day for the formal letter to show up on OPUS. So hopefully you'll know soon!

Anyone else interested in Environmental Health Sciences??

Applied: Yale, Columbia, Harvard, BU, SUNY Albany
Accepted: Yale, SUNY Albany
Waiting: Columbia, Harvard, BU

Just got an email from U Pittsburgh saying that I got into the MS Epi program.

GPA: 3.70
GRE: 770V, 800Q, 3.5AW (Unfortunately)
Undergrad Major in Biology and MA in Biomedical Informatics
Experience: no direct experience in public health but an relevant publication

Applied: Yale (Chronic Disease Epi MPH), Columbia (Epi MPH), UC Berkeley (Epi/Biostat MPH), Harvard (Epi 80-credit SM), JHU (Epi ScM), UCLA (Epi MS), U Pittsburgh (Epi MS and Human Genetics MS)
Accepted: U Pittsburgh (Human Genetics MS), Yale (Chronic Disease Epi MPH)
Rejected:
Waiting: the rest

Yeah, I applied for EHS as well. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of us

Applied: Yale (EMD), Yale (EHS), Columbia (EHS w/ certificate in Molecular Epi), and BU (EHS/IHS dual degree) All via SOPHAS 11/05
Accepted: BU (1/6) w/ Merit
Waiting: Yale and Columbia

I was just accepted at Emory today also. I'm in for Environmental Health!

Applied: Saint Louis University (EOH), Emory University (EH)
Accepted: SLU (1/18), Emory (2/8)

Happy for you! looks to me that you mush have been accepted on the first choice you made :) btw, what was your status, if i may ask and when was your application complete?
Thank you! Here are my stats:

uGPA: 3.3 (graduated from Cal last May with a degree in Bio)
GRE: 1310

My first choice was Epi. Experiences include being very involved with a couple of campus orgs that worked on improving health via education and acute medical treatment, volunteering at a free clinic, and working at a few different labs. I e-submitted my app 1/10 and it was mailed out on 1/31. I've been checking OPUS every day since then and saw my to-do list had changed today, 2/8! My stats are a bit below average but I think I had a decent personal statement and strong LORs! Good luck with your apps :)

Last edited: