Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Epidemiology Dept took one week to send me an official letter...
Thanks a lot! When did you receive the official letter? Good luck and best wishes to you!

Members don't see this ad.

I got my official acceptance letter from BU today ((first, can I just say WOW? what a nice, professional packet they have!)) I received a $15,000 merit award and a hand-written note from the Admissions department! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: Totally on Cloud Nine right now! :D Can't wait for Accepted Students' Day on April 6th!
What did it say?:)

Hi xb! It said:

Hello (Kalla)!

Thank you so much for considering the BUSPH for your MPH. We would love to have you join our community; your application was strong and we are enthusiastic about what you want to do post-MPH.

With best wishes,

(Admissions Staff Member)

:banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how easy it would be to change my MPH concentration at University of Michigan? I think that HBHE would be amazing, but just making sure that I still have an option to change if I want to.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to change my MPH concentration at University of Michigan? I think that HBHE would be amazing, but just making sure that I still have an option to change if I want to.

Change of Program
If a student is interested in changing programs within SPH they need to contact the department
to which they wish to transfer to inquire whether or not admission is possible. If it is possible, a
student will need to fill out the Change of Program‐Dual Degree Application form:
http://www.sph.umich.edu/academics/forms/change_program_application.pdf.
This form should be submitted along with the student’s application to the department to which
they wish to transfer. The Admissions Committee will review the form and respond with an
admissions decision

Change of Program
If a student is interested in changing programs within SPH they need to contact the department
to which they wish to transfer to inquire whether or not admission is possible. If it is possible, a
student will need to fill out the Change of Program‐Dual Degree Application form:
http://www.sph.umich.edu/academics/forms/change_program_application.pdf.
This form should be submitted along with the student’s application to the department to which
they wish to transfer. The Admissions Committee will review the form and respond with an
admissions decision

Thanks for your help!

I just received an acceptance from BU this morning!! They said I have also been chosen to receive a merit award, which will be detailed in the acceptance packet that will be sent in the mail.

For those who have been accepted to BU, how long did it take to receive your packet, after the initial email notification?

Now just waiting on Columbia, which I think is my top choice. Hoping they'll have more decisions coming out this week!
---
Applied 1/15 and 2/1, SOPHAS sent my applications on 2/7
Applied: Columbia (SMS), Yale (EHS), BU (EHS)
Accepted: Yale EHS, BU EHS
Waiting: Columbia

I just received an acceptance from BU this morning!! They said I have also been chosen to receive a merit award, which will be detailed in the acceptance packet that will be sent in the mail.

For those who have been accepted to BU, how long did it take to receive your packet, after the initial email notification?

Now just waiting on Columbia, which I think is my top choice. Hoping they'll have more decisions coming out this week!
---

Congrats mph! I heard from BU Wednesday night and received the packet Saturday night, so it took 3 days. Hopefully you'll get yours soon! :D

---

Congrats on BU! I was accepted there with a scholarship as well. However I got my acceptance packed (mail) first followed by the email. The acceptance packet came in the mail on a Friday and I got the email about Tuesday the next week...

Depending on where you live... I think you could probably get your acceptance packet sometime this week.

I'm also waiting on Columbia SMS. Hopefully we will hear soon! When did SOPAHS email your Columbia app? Mine was sent by SOPHAS in November and I received a confirmation email from Columbia saying that they have received it on 1/20.

FYI, rejection via email from Columbia MPH SMS (History, Ethics and Law certificate) today. Not surprised, but a little disappointed. Good luck to all!

Stats, to give you a better idea:

GRE 147Q/164V/4.5AW
GPA 3.43
Digital strategist/communications consultant. Applying to mostly medical anthro and philosophy of science programs. Already have two acceptances from different MA programs at NYU.

Last edited:
And it came in today. MY 1ST OFFICIAL REJECTION FROM COLUMBIA

*sigh*........Oh well I have already taken a decision on where I'm going.

In Summary
GRE STATS: 560V/670Q/4.0A
GPA (WES): 3.0/4
Profession: Medical Doctor

Applied: Emory, UNC. Berkeley, JHU, Columbia, UCLA,
Acceptances: UNC, EMORY, Berkeley
Rejections: COLUMBIA:oops:
Decided: "PUBLIC HEALTH CAPITAL OF THE WORLD" - EMORY:cool:

Best wishes guys:thumbup:

Finally heard from Yale today after I e-mailed them. Rejection from the MPH in EMD. Not super surprised, though I had a good feeling for a little while there. But it's definitely good to finally know after three months.

In other news, I e-mailed the Hopkins Epi department and they actually got back to me. They said they hope to have the rest of the master's stuff sorted out by the end of the week. Not sure if being at the end of the process is a bad sign for me, but we'll see what happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lenoch - what department did you apply to at U Mich?

UMich got back to me with a half-tuition Dean's Scholarship! Too bad it doesn't match with Emory's full scholarship.

Hi Bugs,

I applied to the EHS department for Human Nutrition / RD.

Seems like a great program.

Are you going to visit? If so, let me know how it is because I can't go.

Finally heard from Yale today after I e-mailed them. Rejection from the MPH in EMD. Not super surprised, though I had a good feeling for a little while there. But it's definitely good to finally know after three months.

In other news, I e-mailed the Hopkins Epi department and they actually got back to me. They said they hope to have the rest of the master's stuff sorted out by the end of the week. Not sure if being at the end of the process is a bad sign for me, but we'll see what happens!

Im in a similar boat with Yale. Been waiting 2 months and haven't heard yet (Policy). I contacted the admissions dept and they say my app is still waiting to be reviewed.

Can you please write detail? all about your B.S? about your exp? about MCAT books?PLEASE...foe my daughter I need to know as much as possible so we put money in correct material to read .

Hey Chuz,

Can you please give me the email of the person you contacted in EMD? I have yet to hear from them as well. Thanks!

Hey Chuz,

Can you please give me the email of the person you contacted in EMD? I have yet to hear from them as well. Thanks!

I'll send this to everyone in case anyone else is in the same situation.

I just e-mailed the general admissions office (e-mail address available in the "complete" e-mail they sent you) and they replied to me that I would have a decision within two weeks. About an hour later, I received an e-mail from that same address indicating my rejection. Seems like maybe I've been rejected for a while but they forgot about me or something like that.

I wish you (and john smith 88 in Policy) and anyone else the best with Yale!

Im in a similar boat with Yale. Been waiting 2 months and haven't heard yet (Policy). I contacted the admissions dept and they say my app is still waiting to be reviewed.

I'm in the same boat. I applied SBS (CDE as my 2nd choice) and it's been 6 weeks now. I asked about my app last week and they said it was still under review.

Thanks Chuz,

I wonder if they save the rejects for last, as someone else speculated. I'll email them and let everyone know. I'm not feeling very hopeful right now because it seems like everyone who is accepted is accepted immediately.

Thanks Chuz,

I wonder if they save the rejects for last, as someone else speculated. I'll email them and let everyone know. I'm not feeling very hopeful right now because it seems like everyone who is accepted is accepted immediately.

That was my initial thought, but I'm beginning to think the process is just very scattered. I have seen people accepted after two weeks and I have also seen people accepted after 6+ weeks. Also, there have been rejections sent out over the past couple of weeks. One would think that if they had put all the rejections into one pool they would simply send them all at the same time. Basically, I think if you haven't heard yet you definitely weren't at the top of their list, but they may have kept your application aside just in case.

Can you please write detail? all about your B.S? about your exp? about MCAT books?PLEASE...foe my daughter I need to know as much as possible so we put money in correct material to read .

Priti- This is not a pre-med thread or forum.

Are there any others out there who are past the honeymoon phase of getting into some of the schools you wanted to get into, and are now in the "oh **** how do I pay for this" phase? Well I know I am! I have been perusing around this forum for some time looking to see how people end up funding their MPH. To me it looks like a combination of loans, personal/family savings, work, school scholarships/grants. Are there many sources of external funding for MPH students? I have tried searching myself but have come up largely empty handed. Any thoughts towards this matter would be much appreciated!

Applied: All Epi; U of Minn, U of Mich, BU, Columbia, UIC, Yale(SBS)
Accepted: U of Minn, BU, Columbia, Yale
Wait-listed: U of Mich? No official indication but submitted at the start of November and after contacting them they said a decision has been deferred until the end of March.
Waiting: UIC

Would anyone be able to give me some advice? I got accepted to SDSU PHS but I also applied for UCI's MPH program which will be accredited this coming Fall. I always wanted to attend UCI but is it better to go to SDSU? Would it look better to graduate from a UC MPH program or State PHS?

Thanks a lot! When did you receive the official letter? Good luck and best wishes to you!

I received it almost 1 month ago.... Now which one will you choose if you had to choose between Emory vs Yale vs Boston (merit award)

I am eagerly waiting for Columbia...

Ok, officially submitted my enrollment form to Hopkins today! Posting my stats in case this is useful to anyone..

Undergrad GPA: 3.85
GRE: 630V / 800Q / 4.5W

Experience: Undergraduate research and volunteer experience abroad, 1-2 years work experience in global health program management

Applied (all around late December - early January): GWU, Columbia MPH, Harvard SM80, Hopkins MSPH
Accepted: GWU (no funding), Columbia ($20K merit scholarship each year), Harvard (half tuition), JHSPH (nearly full tuition)
Decision: JHSPH

Note that I applied as an international student and wasn't expecting any aid, especially since I didn't have any demonstrated need either. So, to those of you in the same boat... don't despair - it's possible!

Hi, I only applied to Emory since I am working at Emory, sorry I am not able to give you any suggestions. Best of luck to you!

idlemuse, what program did you apply for at Harvard? Wondering whether now would be a good time to call up the financial aid office again :)

Are there any others out there who are past the honeymoon phase of getting into some of the schools you wanted to get into, and are now in the "oh **** how do I pay for this" phase? Well I know I am! I have been perusing around this forum for some time looking to see how people end up funding their MPH. To me it looks like a combination of loans, personal/family savings, work, school scholarships/grants. Are there many sources of external funding for MPH students? I have tried searching myself but have come up largely empty handed. Any thoughts towards this matter would be much appreciated!

Applied: All Epi; U of Minn, U of Mich, BU, Columbia, UIC, Yale(SBS)
Accepted: U of Minn, BU, Columbia, Yale
Wait-listed: U of Mich? No official indication but submitted at the start of November and after contacting them they said a decision has been deferred until the end of March.
Waiting: UIC
for tuition, i think most people go for loans and whatever savings/parent help they have/can get. some people, depending on the school, are able to get part-time/assistanships that cover a little bit of the cost. myself, im going for loans, parent help, and hopefully a pt-student job. you need to look at the degree as an investment :). at least that's what im doing. most scholarships are for specific areas of public health or minority-geared

UCI's program is new and not very well known, whereas SDSU is a top-ten ranked MPH program with both CEPH and ASPH accreditation. If it were me, it would be SDSU, no contest.

for tuition, i think most people go for loans and whatever savings/parent help they have/can get. some people, depending on the school, are able to get part-time/assistanships that cover a little bit of the cost. myself, im going for loans, parent help, and hopefully a pt-student job. you need to look at the degree as an investment :). at least that's what im doing. most scholarships are for specific areas of public health or minority-geared

That's exactly how I look at it, the degree is an asset of human capital, nothing more nothing less. I am pretty business minded (I am finishing up my MBA this spring) and am looking at MPH HPM programs for healthcare consultancy/ healthcare organizational mgt this fall. The greatest determinant for me is if the degree enables me to enjoy my new career (numero uno) and if I can get some decent ROI from my degree. That's why I am currently debating going to good inexpensive programs such as UT Houston, A&M, or UF or going with Emory which is ranked better. I am currently leaning towards Emory because health services management can be completed in 12 months, meaning I can get back to the workforce faster and save myself a year of my life (we only have so many after all). However I am apprehensive to take out 65k worth of loans which probably will have to be a mix of federal subsidized @6.8% interest and federal grad plus loans @ 7.9%. Unfortunately the parents are not in the financial position to give me the hook up on the MPH but I have been fortunate enough to be debt free for my undergrad and MBA (props to state school undergrad and corporate tuition reimbursement). My strategy is to take out loans for everything and then commit myself to some austerity measures for the first two to three years after I finish the program, paying a minimum of 10-20k annually in principal. The object is to make the minimum payments on the low interest loans and try paying off the high interest loans as soon as humanly possible. It's not the loans but the compounding interest which makes the prices of going to school INSANE. With that said, even I don't make my decisions entirely based on whether it is monetarily the most rational or not. There are a lot of intangible which factor in there such as where do you see yourself ending up (often you're recruited in the area you go to school in), the type of people you're going to school with (how do you put a dollar price on your future friends/colleagues?), and the brand equity of the school (how your personal 'brand' coincides with being associated with the school you're attending).

thats awesome, congrats!!
did SDSU mail or email their admission results?
Im still waiting -__-

thats awesome, congrats!!
did SDSU mail or email their admission results?
Im still waiting -__-

Emailed followed by mail

My stats aren't too impressive imho
UCR graduate BS in Biological Sciences, pre-med with Environmental Sciences minor
GPA 3.017
GRE 152 Verb and 156 Quant = 1200 old GRE (took once)
Writing 4.0

-2 years exp in genomics lab as an assistant to a PhD student who is now post-doc.
-1 year volunteer for club that helps children in need of medical assistance
-went on a mission to El Salvador, worked at a health clinic. Also performed vector control on mosquitoes to prevent Dengue Fever from spreading

yep that's it lol how about you? I honestly think my LORs and SOP is what did it tbh

That's exactly how I look at it, the degree is an asset of human capital, nothing more nothing less. I am pretty business minded (I am finishing up my MBA this spring) and am looking at MPH HPM programs for healthcare consultancy/ healthcare organizational mgt this fall. The greatest determinant for me is if the degree enables me to enjoy my new career (numero uno) and if I can get some decent ROI from my degree. That's why I am currently debating going to good inexpensive programs such as UT Houston, A&M, or UF or going with Emory which is ranked better. I am currently leaning towards Emory because health services management can be completed in 12 months, meaning I can get back to the workforce faster and save myself a year of my life (we only have so many after all). However I am apprehensive to take out 65k worth of loans which probably will have to be a mix of federal subsidized @6.8% interest and federal grad plus loans @ 7.9%. Unfortunately the parents are not in the financial position to give me the hook up on the MPH but I have been fortunate enough to be debt free for my undergrad and MBA (props to state school undergrad and corporate tuition reimbursement). My strategy is to take out loans for everything and then commit myself to some austerity measures for the first two to three years after I finish the program, paying a minimum of 10-20k annually in principal. The object is to make the minimum payments on the low interest loans and try paying off the high interest loans as soon as humanly possible. It's not the loans but the compounding interest which makes the prices of going to school INSANE. With that said, even I don't make my decisions entirely based on whether it is monetarily the most rational or not. There are a lot of intangible which factor in there such as where do you see yourself ending up (often you're recruited in the area you go to school in), the type of people you're going to school with (how do you put a dollar price on your future friends/colleagues?), and the brand equity of the school (how your personal 'brand' coincides with being associated with the school you're attending).
absolutely. im looking to go into consulting myself, tho with just the MPH, no MBA. brand-name does play a big part, especially when it comes to recruiting. i submitted my deposit for Columbia because of the awesome program there, plus they have recruiting by some of the top firms, esp Mckinsey and BCG for consulting. basically, take out loans and then live for 2-3 years like a bum, and hopefully pay everything off. that's my plan as well. frugal is the way to go.

Alright, I got accepted into Johns Hopkins MSPH program in Health, Behavior, and Society today! Overall, great results so far. Now it's between Johns Hopkins, Yale CDE, Michigan HBHE, and UIC for me. I like EPI and HBHE, and I want to be able to combine the two in my career...I have to make a tough decision now. lol

Last edited:
Do the schools wait for rejections from the first round of accepted candidates before responding to later applicants? I am assuming that just because they offer a spot to 30 candidates, at least half of those (especially if they are not a top 10 school) are going to decline the offer and go to another school. How long do they wait to fill all of their spots?

Just got an email from UCLA saying that I have been "recommended for admission" by the CHS department and the SPH, but still need to be approved by the university's Graduate Admissions Office. Not sure whether it's safe to celebrate yet...

Not sure whether it's safe to celebrate yet...

Celebrate Etude. Recommendation to graduate division is just a formality. Unless you didn't meet the minimum requirements, you're in.

Thanks, KeatingR! That is great to know.

I got the same email from UCLA. It tooks like we are almost there!

Does anyone know how easy it is to switch to another department once you are in? I am having second thoughts about my intended direction.

I do have to add in there though that Emory's acceptance package (the business portfolio folder and calculator are making Emory look very appealing, PLUS everyone there is so nice!) AND it is the public health capital of the world. HMM

Rejected from Harvard Health Policy and Management 80 MS at 4:04P today via email. So sad :(

----

Rejected: Berkeley (HPM), Harvard (HPM)
Accepted: Yale (Policy), Emory (HPM - Merit), Columbia (HM), UCLA (Epi)
Waiting: Hopkins, Brown

I emailed UCLA admissions today and just received a response indicating I am being recommended to the graduate department for admission!

So, that being said, the wait is over and I have received all acceptances and rejections. I have to admit, as grateful I am of the result, I am freaking glad this emotional roller coaster is over

The Final Count:
Rejected: Harvard (Molecular Epi), Michigan (Hospital Epi)
Accepted: Columbia (Epi), Emory (Global Epi), Berkeley (Infectious Diseases), BU (Epi), UCLA (Epi)
Waiting: NONE!

Received my rejection from Harvard's MPH for Health Policy and Management.

I emailed UCLA admissions today and just received a response indicating I am being recommended to the graduate department for admission!

So, that being said, the wait is over and I have received all acceptances and rejections. I have to admit, as grateful I am of the result, I am freaking glad this emotional roller coaster is over

The Final Count:
Rejected: Harvard (Molecular Epi), Michigan (Hospital Epi)
Accepted: Columbia (Epi), Emory (Global Epi), Berkeley (Infectious Diseases), BU (Epi), UCLA (Epi)
Waiting: NONE!
hi,

when were you admitted to emory global epi mph program? thanks and best of luck!

UCI's program is new and not very well known, whereas SDSU is a top-ten ranked MPH program with both CEPH and ASPH accreditation. If it were me, it would be SDSU, no contest.

What rankings are you looking at where SDSU is in the Top 10?

I know that UCI's program will only be accredited this coming fall (most likely), but I wouldn't write off on it so quickly. I would say that overall, the quality of education is much better at a UC in comparison to a cal state. The program in Public Health was established at UCI in 2003 and has moved forward tremendously every year. Maybe I'm biased because I majored in Public Health as an undergraduate at UCI, but I was very pleased with the public health program, especially since it's so new. I had plenty of opportunities to conduct research with professors as an undergrad, so I know there are many opportunities to be involved for the MPH. Also, UCI's program has a solid faculty already! Also, you really can't beat living in Irvine :D

Received my rejection from Harvard's MPH for Health Policy and Management.

Sorry about Harvard, but it looks like you got acceptances from some top notch schools!

Can I asked when you applied? I'm waiting on Yale too... sigh.