Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm seeing a lot of talk about BU's MPH program, but no one is really gushing about being accepted to UMD or GW. I just got accepted to all three in the past couple days, and I quickly went from "honeymoon" phase to "f*** I need to make a decision" phase.

BU was probably my #1, but I live very close to both UMD and GW, and my dad is on the GW faculty so it helps with the tuition. I'd also be able to live at home and save on rent.

Could anyone...ANYONE...offer any advice?? Is BU all THAT much better than GW? I'd literally be uprooting my life, but it seems to be getting more attention.

Members don't see this ad.

So, that being said, the wait is over and I have received all acceptances and rejections. I have to admit, as grateful I am of the result, I am freaking glad this emotional roller coaster is over

The Final Count:
Rejected: Harvard (Molecular Epi), Michigan (Hospital Epi)
Accepted: Columbia (Epi), Emory (Global Epi), Berkeley (Infectious Diseases), BU (Epi), UCLA (Epi)
Waiting: NONE!

Congrats KeatingR on all your acceptances! Those are some awesome schools! Have you pretty much decided on where you want to go?

The wait is over for me too, just an hour ago! I thought the admission process was tough, but the decision part now is very stress-inducing and making me into a neurotic mess!

Anteater- thanks for the "condolences". I think a lot of posters would agree that even when the school is not your first choice (or, worse, when it is), it still hurts a little to get the rejection.

I applied to Harvard MPH and Columbia MPH on Dec. 15. Emory MPH, Yale MPH and U Mich MHSA on Dec. 18. Sophas sent out everything around Jan 24.

I am waiting for Yale, too. They verified receipt at the beginning of Feb. nail biting! And you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats mph! I heard from BU Wednesday night and received the packet Saturday night, so it took 3 days. Hopefully you'll get yours soon! :D

Congrats Kalla! Saw some of your posts on BU and am happy for you!! I just received an acceptance + merit award from BU an hour ago :) I live in another continent so I'm hoping that the packet won't take too long to reach me. Does the merit award typically range from $10,000 to $15,000?

Congrats on BU! I was accepted there with a scholarship as well. However I got my acceptance packed (mail) first followed by the email. The acceptance packet came in the mail on a Friday and I got the email about Tuesday the next week...

Depending on where you live... I think you could probably get your acceptance packet sometime this week.

I'm also waiting on Columbia SMS. Hopefully we will hear soon! When did SOPAHS email your Columbia app? Mine was sent by SOPHAS in November and I received a confirmation email from Columbia saying that they have received it on 1/20.

Not SMS, but I applied to Columbia PopFam and sent in my application to SOPHAS on 1/15. I didn't receive any confirmation email from Columbia. But the acceptance email came in on 3/4 (a Saturday night!). Hope this helps and good luck!

What rankings are you looking at where SDSU is in the Top 10?

I know that UCI's program will only be accredited this coming fall (most likely), but I wouldn't write off on it so quickly. I would say that overall, the quality of education is much better at a UC in comparison to a cal state. The program in Public Health was established at UCI in 2003 and has moved forward tremendously every year. Maybe I'm biased because I majored in Public Health as an undergraduate at UCI, but I was very pleased with the public health program, especially since it's so new. I had plenty of opportunities to conduct research with professors as an undergrad, so I know there are many opportunities to be involved for the MPH. Also, UCI's program has a solid faculty already! Also, you really can't beat living in Irvine :D

I'm still waiting to hear back from UCI's MPH, I have been researching UCI's MPH and it truly has advanced in the past years. Even how they present their PH section on their site and through pdf files really show that they mean business. Looking at SDSU, their MS in toxicology was terminated as of this year, not accepting students for certain tracks next year, and not updating their website for 2 years with dead links makes me feel..... :confused:; I know it's a good PH school but first impressions...
I have a feeling UCI will become the 5th PH school in Ca, they just need MPH in two more tracks and offer doctorate degrees then they'll be on their way.

Anteater- thanks for the "condolences". I think a lot of posters would agree that even when the school is not your first choice (or, worse, when it is), it still hurts a little to get the rejection.

I applied to Harvard MPH and Columbia MPH on Dec. 15. Emory MPH, Yale MPH and U Mich MHSA on Dec. 18. Sophas sent out everything around Jan 24.

I am waiting for Yale, too. They verified receipt at the beginning of Feb. nail biting! And you?

Yeah, I know what you mean. It hurts to get rejected from any prospective school you'd like to attend.

SOPHAS sent my apps on 1/24 too, but Yale hasn't voluntarily contacted me about anything (app received/app complete). Ah, I really want to hear back. It's the only school I'm waiting on!

I'm still waiting to hear back from UCI's MPH, I have been researching UCI's MPH and it truly has advanced in the past years. Even how they present their PH section on their site and through pdf files really show that they mean business. Looking at SDSU, their MS in toxicology was terminated as of this year, not accepting students for certain tracks next year, and not updating their website for 2 years with dead links makes me feel..... :confused:; I know it's a good PH school but first impressions...
I have a feeling UCI will become the 5th PH school in Ca, they just need MPH in two more tracks and offer doctorate degrees then they'll be on their way.

CSUs seem to be cutting a lot of programs/ not accepting new students :confused:.

I hope you get good news from UCI soon!

Kumo, I'm waiting on SDSU and UCI as well (already rejected from UCLA CHS).

The cost of tuition for SDSU (~$8,000) is really appealing to me compared to UCI (~$17,000) and the community in San Diego is more ethnically/socioeconomically diverse than Orange County since I want to work on health disparities. But heck, I'd be happy too if I went to UCI so I can live in Newport Beach steps away from the ocean :thumbup:

I just need to get in ANYWHERE! Starting off with a rejection isn't so fun :cry:

Kumo, I'm waiting on SDSU and UCI as well (already rejected from UCLA CHS).

The cost of tuition for SDSU (~$8,000) is really appealing to me compared to UCI (~$17,000) and the community in San Diego is more ethnically/socioeconomically diverse than Orange County since I want to work on health disparities. But heck, I'd be happy too if I went to UCI so I can live in Newport Beach steps away from the ocean :thumbup:

I just need to get in ANYWHERE! Starting off with a rejection isn't so fun :cry:

Actually....UCI's cost is 20,000 lol T-T it'll be cool if we end up going to the same grad school! Which track did apply for? (SDSU and UCI) I applied Environmental Health. You apply anywhere else?

How long did it take folks to start hearing back about funding after they received their acceptances?

I'm seeing a lot of talk about BU's MPH program, but no one is really gushing about being accepted to UMD or GW. I just got accepted to all three in the past couple days, and I quickly went from "honeymoon" phase to "f*** I need to make a decision" phase.

BU was probably my #1, but I live very close to both UMD and GW, and my dad is on the GW faculty so it helps with the tuition. I'd also be able to live at home and save on rent.

Could anyone...ANYONE...offer any advice?? Is BU all THAT much better than GW? I'd literally be uprooting my life, but it seems to be getting more attention.

I don't know much about GW or UMD - I assume they are very good schools, particularly GW - so I don't think you should pay much mind to reputation. Many of us have chosen schools based on their fit - reputation helps, but ultimately, it has to be the school that you see yourself being a part of. I think you need to weigh the pros/cons of attending these schools. What attracts you to them? What turns you off? Also, have you visited these schools and met with the faculty and students there? That can help you figure out which is the best fit.

Ultimately, I would pick the school that best suits your career goals and interests. There's no point in attending a school due to financial benefits only, only to find that the school doesn't suit you and where you want to go post-MPH. On the other hand, in this tight economy, any financial assistance is helpful and you might find that living closer to home gives you valuable time to save up some $$$. So it can be a difficult decision. I hope that helps? :)

Finally heard back from Hopkins and it's a no go, but I'm not really upset because Emory was my first choice, so now for the final decision! EMORY!!!

Finally heard back from Hopkins and it's a no go, but I'm not really upset because Emory was my first choice, so now for the final decision! EMORY!!!

I'm going to Emory's admitted student's day on 3/23 first but if I enjoy the experience (and I think I will) I'm there too! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Kalla! Saw some of your posts on BU and am happy for you!! I just received an acceptance + merit award from BU an hour ago :) I live in another continent so I'm hoping that the packet won't take too long to reach me. Does the merit award typically range from $10,000 to $15,000

Hi mikan! Congratulations on your acceptance and merit award as well! From what I've seen, merit awards range from 10-20k depending on the strength of an applicant's package. Most of what I've seen, however, is the 10-15k range with more emphasis on 10k and 12k. Any little bit helps! :laugh:

I'm going to Emory's admitted student's day on 3/23 first but if I enjoy the experience (and I think I will) I'm there too! :)

Yay Emory!! I sent in my deposit yesterday!! Hope to see yall at Emory Visit Day! Anyone in GH Reproductive Health and Pop Studies???

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Does UCLA send out rejections all at once bc everyone else has heard back... but me :[[[[[[

Wow, that's fantastic. I'm also going to Emory for the same program.

I'll soon send in my admission deposit.

See you soon classmate :)

Yay Emory!! I sent in my deposit yesterday!! Hope to see yall at Emory Visit Day! Anyone in GH Reproductive Health and Pop Studies???

YAY yup sending in my deposit soon! And I'll be at Visit Emory too! BSHE dept but with a global focus so maybe we will have some classes together!

Hi mikan! Congratulations on your acceptance and merit award as well! From what I've seen, merit awards range from 10-20k depending on the strength of an applicant's package. Most of what I've seen, however, is the 10-15k range with more emphasis on 10k and 12k. Any little bit helps! :laugh:

Thanks Kalla! Honestly I wasn't expecting any funding because I'm an international student. But you're right - any little bit helps! UNC offered me an award of $5,000 - it's not that much comparatively but their tuition is lower to begin with. So I'm really very thankful for these fundings! :)

I'm getting worried too...I have yet to hear anything from UCLA CHS

hi all,

i am still waiting to hear back from BU and Columbia re: their MPH program. I've already been accepted to Yale, Hopkins and Tufts, but haven't heard anything about financial aid yet.

i am wondering how long it took people to hear back from BU/Columbia after their applications were complete?

also, how long after you received your acceptance letters were you offered funding?

any insight is appreciated.

thanks so much,

Congrats KeatingR on all your acceptances! Those are some awesome schools! Have you pretty much decided on where you want to go?

Thanks mikan, not quite decided yet, but am leaning towards Cal the more I think about it (hard to beat in-state tuition).

Does UCLA send out rejections all at once bc everyone else has heard back... but me :[[[[[[

CJ, UCLA didn't contact me on their own - I only found out after I sent them an email. They responded within an hour telling me I had been accepted.

CJ, UCLA didn't contact me on their own - I only found out after I sent them an email. They responded within an hour telling me I had been accepted.

Isn't that aggravating? I wonder how long they had been sitting on the decision without informing you.

Yeah. I'm going to be there on Thurs and Fri ie 22nd and 23rd.

Yay! Got the official decision today!

Congratulations! As the Dean of the Graduate Division, I am pleased to extend your official offer of admission to graduate study at UCLA. You have been selected from a pool of exceptionally qualified applicants based on your academic achievements and potential for advanced scholarship.

Yay! Got the official decision today!

Congratulations! As the Dean of the Graduate Division, I am pleased to extend your official offer of admission to graduate study at UCLA. You have been selected from a pool of exceptionally qualified applicants based on your academic achievements and potential for advanced scholarship.

Congrats!! Do you mine sharing which program you got accepted to?

Thanks mikan, not quite decided yet, but am leaning towards Cal the more I think about it (hard to beat in-state tuition).

Did you simply ask for a decision? Did you mention that other schools were awaiting your response? I feel odd emailing them about a decision due to their email last Friday which essentially asked for our patience.

I am yet to hear from any UC's. Admitted to SDSU EHS.

Did you simply ask for a decision? Did you mention that other schools were awaiting your response? I feel odd emailing them about a decision due to their email last Friday which essentially asked for our patience.

I agree, I feel odd doing the same thing, which would explain why my email now seems so groveling:

Dear XXXXX,
I am writing to you today to politely inquire as to the status of my application to the UCLA MPH Epidemiology program. I submitted my application on December the first. I would greatly appreciate any information as the decision deadline for other schools is fast approaching.

Hey,

I am new here and applied to a few programs. Anyone know how long is "normal" for a reply to an admission decision? I was accepted to a few and am still deciding but don't want to be rude about it or have it revoked. Any ideas? Thanks.

I am yet to hear from any UC's. Admitted to SDSU EHS.

If we both end up going to SDSU that'd be cool! I got into their EHS as well :thumbup:

As of today I've heard back from all programs.

Accepted: GWU PhD Epi, Berkeley MPH Epi/Biostat, UCLA MPH Epi, Columbia MPH epi, BU MPH epi
Rejected: UNC PhD Epi, Emory PhD Epi

The results are what I expected except I thought I might have a shot at UNC since they specifically admit students for an MSPH/PhD program but seems to have been super competitive. Will likely be attending GWU since I want to move to DC and it's a PhD program that's a good fit with my interests. Now onto getting a job ... Apparently applying for things and sorting out logistics doesn't stop here lol

Last edited:
Hmm... so I just got accepted to Yale, but not to the program I applied for. I applied to the 2 year MPH in Epi of Microbial Diseases, and I got accepted to the 11 month Advanced Professional MPH Program in Applied Biostatistics & Epidemiology. It's meant for people with advanced degrees, but my Ph.D. is in organic chemistry and not really related to public health. This is so confusing! I really wanted to do a 2 year MPH so that I could have more time to gain experience in the form of internships and/or a practicum before entering the job market. I don't think 11 months is enough for me, with my background, to get the training I need. Plus, this program starts in July which is when I plan to defend my thesis, so I don't think I can make it work logistically.

I'm considering contacting them to see if I can get into the MPH in EMD as per my original application, but I've been strongly leaning towards Emory for months, so I don't even know if I should bother. When I applied to Columbia, they offered to consider my application for their accelerated program because of my Ph.D. and I turned them down in favor of the 2 year program. I'm a little annoyed that Yale didn't ask me if I wanted to be considered for something other than what I applied for.

Matt- It sounds like things are working out in your favor! Good luck with the job search :)

In at Yale in Policy and Management!
I got 2 emails and then an email from the school director that would like to talk with me! Let's see if I can get some money!:D:D

Applied: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Berkely and Columbia (MPH in HP&M)
Accepted: Harvard & Yale
Rejected: Berkely
Waiting: Columbia
Attending: still do not know

Is the MPH degree worth going out of state for? I kinda feel like I'm the only person who didn't apply out of state :(

Kumo21, I'm wondering the same myself. I only applied to out of state schools and now I feel silly that I didn't apply to Berkeley/UCLA/UCI since they're all such good schools at half the cost.

Those that heard from Yale... when did you apply? I'm seriously going crazy waiting to hear from them...

Kumo21, I'm wondering the same myself. I only applied to out of state schools and now I feel silly that I didn't apply to Berkeley/UCLA/UCI since they're all such good schools at half the cost.

Those that heard from Yale... when did you apply? I'm seriously going crazy waiting to hear from them...

It really depends on what you are looking for. The work/internship opportunities out on the East coast are plentiful and varied. I am hoping that if I can get a bunch of relevant experience out here so I can go back to California and basically be hot stuff and people will be tripping over themselves to employ me :hardy:

I loved my UCI undergrad experience, but I would recommend going to a school of public health over a program, especially one so new such as UCI's. (I could be totally wrong but it is just what I observed) I think that there is more likely to be a larger network and better support from the administration from a school of public health. Public Health, for me anyways, was pretty hard for me to describe completely but being at a well established program has really helped shaped my PH perspective.

I think someone on this thread was interested in what kind of practicum opportunities were available at BU? Give me a PM and I can send you a list of some that are being advertised to us.

Do you think SDSU has better connections than UCI?

my app was sent by sophas to yale 1/28 and i was accepted last week. i am still waiting on columbia and BU though!

for those folks who are attending BU- what specifically attracted you to this program, instead of another large school of public health? i haven't been accepted yet, but if i am, it will probably be between hopkins and BU for me. i already live in boston, so the decision to uproot for JHSPH will be a big one, especially since my husband is finishing residency here.

Hmmm...I turned down UNC but I just got an email from them regarding logging in to view my financial aid award? :confused: I'm a bit curious to view it, but that would require me to get a UNC ID, and I don't want to confuse the school :smuggrin: (I accidentally signed up for a UIC ID even though I sent them my decision to decline acceptance!).

Should I just ignore this email? Or should I contact them again?

my app was sent by sophas to yale 1/28 and i was accepted last week. i am still waiting on columbia and BU though!

for those folks who are attending BU- what specifically attracted you to this program, instead of another large school of public health? i haven't been accepted yet, but if i am, it will probably be between hopkins and BU for me. i already live in boston, so the decision to uproot for JHSPH will be a big one, especially since my husband is finishing residency here.

I chose BU for the following reasons:

1) I live in Boston (moved here 1 1/2 years ago) and I want to stay in the area for many years to come. So it makes sense for me to attend grad school here - also, completing my degree in Boston allows me to have a better network for jobs. Even though BU is expensive, it would be much more debt-producing for me to move elsewhere for my grad degree since I've already had a recent move. It just doesn't make sense for me financially.

2) Boston has a very collegiate atmosphere overall - so many colleges, universities, and academic opportunities! A big plus for me.

3) BU is a great program and it suits my career interests and goals. It seems more geared towards "hands on" public health practice, which fits me well. I also like the fact that it's a large school with many different faculty and students. Overall, it has a lot to offer with a welcoming, friendly environment for learning. So BU is a win-win for me! :D

Congratulations on your acceptances, and good luck with Columbia and BU!

Hmmm...I turned down UNC but I just got an email from them regarding logging in to view my financial aid award? :confused: I'm a bit curious to view it, but that would require me to get a UNC ID, and I don't want to confuse the school :smuggrin: (I accidentally signed up for a UIC ID even though I sent them my decision to decline acceptance!).

Should I just ignore this email? Or should I contact them again?
Maybe it's a ploy to get you interested again lol???

Is the MPH degree worth going out of state for? I kinda feel like I'm the only person who didn't apply out of state :(
I only applied to so cal schools also... But disaster preparedness is only offered at those three and Hopkins (I'm applying straight out of undergrad so that wasn't happening)... So I don't feel too bad.

I only applied to so cal schools also... But disaster preparedness is only offered at those three and Hopkins (I'm applying straight out of undergrad so that wasn't happening)... So I don't feel too bad.

Saint Louis does also, I think

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Congrats on BU! I was accepted there with a scholarship as well. However I got my acceptance packed (mail) first followed by the email. The acceptance packet came in the mail on a Friday and I got the email about Tuesday the next week...

Depending on where you live... I think you could probably get your acceptance packet sometime this week.

I'm also waiting on Columbia SMS. Hopefully we will hear soon! When did SOPAHS email your Columbia app? Mine was sent by SOPHAS in November and I received a confirmation email from Columbia saying that they have received it on 1/20.

Thanks for your responses, Kalla and MPHApplicant902! I'm still waiting for the packet in the mail—we don't have the best local post office so I'm a little aggravated that USPS hasn't delivered any mail for the last 2 days, but hopefully in the next couple days I'll get it. I'd love to use the merit award amount as a bargaining chip to see what I may be able to get from Yale and (if I get in!) Columbia.

SOPHAS mailed by Columbia app on 2/7, so much later than yours. I haven't received any email confirmation of application receipt, which was making me nervous, so I emailed someone in admissions that I met with last month when I was in NYC. Here's what she said this morning:
Decisions started going out last week and will continue to be sent in batches through the end of the month. You should be hearing soon!

Hopefully we'll hear something soon! I'm crossing my fingers, as I think Columbia is my top choice! :xf:
---
Applied 1/15 and 2/1, SOPHAS sent my applications on 2/7
Applied: Columbia (SMS), Yale (EHS), BU (EHS)
Accepted: Yale EHS, BU EHS
Waiting: Columbia

I applied to NYU too for the same program, how/when did you hear back? I haven't heard anything back. From what I know, NYU's MPH program is relatively new but it is accredited. However, I do worry that since it is sort of new compared to the other established schools of public health, the alumni networks may not be as strong. Also, NYU is notorious for their pricey tuition. (I applied b/c I reside in the NYC area). But as for the strength of the program, I am clueless like you are so I can't comment. So maybe someone here can enlighten
I'm in the same boat, only with a $4000/2 semester scholarship. I also visited the school and sat in on a class and was less than impressed. Not only was it not particularly engaging/interesting, but probably a third of the students were either sleeping or on Facebook. It also concerns me that in my meeting with admissions staff, they mentioned that many NYU staff and faculty don't even know the MPH program exists, creating problems for students when, say, they want to take classes at other schools within the university, which I definitely would want to do.

Definitely visit the school and sit in on a class though to see what you think. It's certainly a well-respected university, and being in a small MPH program like that definitely can have its perks.

Oh and regarding costs and comparing schools, keep in mind that living expenses in NYC are incredibly expensive, potentially offsetting the benefits of a scholarship like that.

just got accepted to Columbia Epi. :) have been accepted to Emory GH. Just waiting on Yale for now... :)