Applied to Vet School. Got In. Didn't Go. Med School Now?! Help, Please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I challenge you to find a program otherwise. P.A. programs were designed for military medical personnel coming out of the military with skills they could only use in the military. I am surrounded by PA friends and family. Trust me. You may have some EMT experience. but that won't get you in. IT IS HIGHLY COMPETITIVE!!! 2 year program that earns you a good 100K wage does not take entry level or minimal requirements. And EMTs know how to transfer patients and give CPR if needed. they are not paramedics. CLINICAL hours is what PA programs want. I am surrounded by human medicine people. (Which is why I was encouraged to go into Human medicine). My family and friends are all MDs, DO's ICU/emergency nurses and PA's. So In my experience, your are incorrect SkiOtter.
Lol. I’ll one up you. My sister got in with only EMT experience and minimal shadowing when she was deciding PA vs MD/DO, which wouldn’t even count since it’s not paid. Multiple schools.

Sit down.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The field used to be more for career changers, but it has moved towards a lot of first career people now. Check your facts and chill your tits and maybe turn caps lock off?

Reactions: 3 users
Then she is an exception and not the norm. It is like when med and/or vet schools say their minimum gpa is----- and yet their acceptance rate is FAR above and way beyond said posted gpa. Yes, someone is going to possibly get in with that minimal GPA, but it isn't the norm. And your sister obviously had other great qualities they added to her application. Where I went to medical school our PA program didn't consider EMT hours clinical and they stated so. every program is different. My sister will be jealous, it took her two years in an OR to get into PA school with a 4.0 GPA .

Members don't see this ad :)
The field used to be more for career changers, but it has moved towards a lot of first career people now. Check your facts and chill your tits and maybe turn caps lock off?
who are you even talking to? why are you so rude? People are just trying to help each other out here and share their experiences. no need to be nasty. geez

who are you even talking to? why are you so rude? People are just trying to help each other out here and share their experiences. no need to be nasty. geez

I think the main issue here is despite differences in anecdotal evidence, you're still very adamant that Ski is wrong. Obviously Ski isn't wrong if that's the case.... there's just differences in experiences. And although you may not think you're being rude, it can be hard to read someone's intentions through the internet; as a result it's not uncommon for you to come off in a way you didn't intend to. This may or may not be the case, I hope it is... but I can agree that you're coming off as pretty rude and very know-it-all like.
I also think that if you're applying to vet school vs med school... you've heard at least once or twice that it's competitive. You may think you're talking to people that don't know much, but the people on these forms are very well educated on the matter and work a lot to help out with answering questions. So it may be best to not be defensive and tone it down a bit..
You're not wrong and Ski isn't, it just goes to show there are so many different paths someone can take to end up in the same place. I would just accept that there are exceptions to what you may view as the norm and it is possible. The only time the word never holds it's true value is when you say that you should never say something is 100% one way or 100% another.

Reactions: 5 users
Then she is an exception and not the norm. It is like when med and/or vet schools say their minimum gpa is----- and yet their acceptance rate is FAR above and way beyond said posted gpa. Yes, someone is going to possibly get in with that minimal GPA, but it isn't the norm. And your sister obviously had other great qualities they added to her application. Where I went to medical school our PA program didn't consider EMT hours clinical and they stated so. every program is different. My sister will be jealous, it took her two years in an OR to get into PA school with a 4.0 GPA .
Nope. I know quite a few other people who are similar to her situation. They were never medical assistants. They got into multiple PA schools. Things are changing and it's no longer only a second career where you come from something after 5+ years. There are still many that do, but not everyone.

My post was not about debating who gets into what program and trying to one up whomever on this thread. I was trying to convey my experiences from HUMAN medicine. if others differ that is fine. but mine are mine alone. My experiences, my feelings, my opinions... and I was sharing those. I wasn't being rude or nasty but this here is why this SDN has such a nasty reputation. because you all are mean to each other. My experiences are my own. there was no rudeness involved or meant in any way. Those of you who have spent years trying to get into vet school and someone else has 100 hours of minimal shadowing and gets in straight out of undergrad... seen it. have a friend who did it. but that is not the norm. So I was trying to show it is very competitive on this side as well. i am removing myself from this. ridiculous

You're the only one being rude and nasty here. The caps lock yelling is not necessary at all. And neither are the accusations that the field couldn't POSSIBLY have changed in recent years and EMT work couldn't POSSIBLY qualify for medical field work. You are blatantly disregarding everything anyone has said and saying only your information is right and everyone else is wrong.

My post was not about debating who gets into what program and trying to one up whomever on this thread. I was trying to convey my experiences from HUMAN medicine. if others differ that is fine. but mine are mine alone. My experiences, my feelings, my opinions... and I was sharing those. I wasn't being rude or nasty but this here is why this SDN has such a nasty reputation. because you all are mean to each other. My experiences are my own. there was no rudeness involved or meant in any way. Those of you who have spent years trying to get into vet school and someone else has 100 hours of minimal shadowing and gets in straight out of undergrad... seen it. have a friend who did it. but that is not the norm. So I was trying to show it is very competitive on this side as well. i am removing myself from this. ridiculous
lol you can keep telling yourself that you weren't rude and nasty, but you very much were, in multiple posts.

CLINICAL hours is what PA programs want. I am surrounded by human medicine people. (Which is why I was encouraged to go into Human medicine). My family and friends are all MDs, DO's ICU/emergency nurses and PA's. So In my experience, your are incorrect SkiOtter.

If you haven't heard this yet... may I also be the first to say that this holds little to no value in life. I have a classmate who their mother and father are vets, but that classmate also didn't know what a splenectomy was, nor did said classmate know what CPV was.
So the merit on this claim is very slim. Again, different paths can lead to the same destination; if everyone in your family talked to one another... then it would make sense that they took very similar paths... especially if that was more common in their time, or if they didn't branch out to others who took drastically different paths.
Again, just be aware of how you word things on the internet, it can be misleading if you aren't careful.. Someone may pick up what you're not actually throwing down.

Last edited:
I think you need to reread your first post here. You were very rude when talking about human patients in medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem is a HUGE portion of the MCAT. You must have taken it before the mcat change???

Hadn’t taken biochem when I took the MCAT. If i had, I would’ve applied to vet school instead of going down the med school rabbit hole.

getting bit doesn't even bother me. because I LOVE what I do. stop surrounding yourself with nay sayers. I surrounded myself with veterinarians that had practices that made well over 7 figures. I know farm vets that make 100k plus.. be innovative, don't work for someone else. those people will not make great money. Don't build someone else's dream. build your own.

This is where you come off rude to me.

1) getting bit should concern you. It's dangerous, plain and simple. I know a vet bit in the face by a dog she'd know since it was a fetus. 75 stitches, dude. That's life changing. Safety first.

2) Saying, "don't surround yourself with naysayers," puts you in an echochamber and isolates yourself from the realities of the world. People have valid reasons to not like aspects of vet medicine. Those in human medicine could say the same thing about you leaving human med. You're using circular logic here to invalidate those who disagree with you.

3) very, very, very, very few veterinarians make over 7 figures. Very few. They are not the norm. If you're going to discredit Ski's example of her PA sister, you can't use 7 figure salary veterinarians as an example of why vet med is great.

4) there's plenty of associate veterinarians that make good money and are happy not owning a business. After growing up in a pet orientated business owned by my family, I have no desire to own my own business. I want to leave work at the door. My dream is my family and friends as much or even more so than my career.

And they are in debt too. make no mistake they are easily 400k in debt. Surround yourself with successful people. not those that are miserable

When they make 2-3x the starting salary of veterinarians, their debt to income ratio is minimal in comparison.

And they don't tell you about those that fail out. people fail out all the time

Hmm, I would be willing to bet my out of state veterinary tuition that the fail rate is less than 5% (at most). That's not a huge thing that should be considered when comparing vet and human med.

Reactions: 11 users
I came out of Human medicine. If you are thinking of human medicine for the money RUN!!!!!!! I left medical school in my third year. I HATED CLINICALS. putting my finger up some fat dudes ass, looking at gross cracked nasty feet with nails that look like talons, nasty boils, infections between layers of overweight peoples skin. I've been vomited on, coughed on in my face with spit DAILY... and diarrhea, yes I've had it all over me. Humans are gross.... and non compliance. omg, non compliance and needy, chronically ill patients made me want to literally SCREAM. medicine is a calling and the type of medicine you get to practice depends on that calling. I transferred to animal medicine and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! sticking my finger up some dogs butt doesn't bother me a bit. getting bit doesn't even bother me. because I LOVE what I do. stop surrounding yourself with nay sayers. I surrounded myself with veterinarians that had practices that made well over 7 figures. I know farm vets that make 100k plus.. be innovative, don't work for someone else. those people will not make great money. Don't build someone else's dream. build your own. There comes a time to **** or get off the pot. Either do it or do something else. bottom line is you HAVE to do something else. Vet techs don't make a living wage. It is unfortunate as they are highly trained. at least the ones I work with are. I think sometimes we get stuck in a rut and are so afraid to make a bad decision we don't make a decision at all. WHICH IS MAKING A DECISION. Human medicine is hard, messy and the politics will EAT YOU ALIVE if you are not a strong person. I am a very strong person and I was MISERABLE. And they are in debt too. make no mistake they are easily 400k in debt. Surround yourself with successful people. not those that are miserable. ANY profession is what you make of it. as far as human medicine. Unless you work AT LEAST two years as a medical assistant forget PA school. Most applicants have been in human medicine 3-5 years. PAID positions. and if you are considering human medical school, start studying for the MCAT. it takes a good 9 months. If and I say IF you can kick ass on the MCAT then move forward. the MCAT is a hard ass test my friend. Start there. then keep in mind you have the USME 1, 2 and 3 and you can get kicked out if you fail any one of those tests. And they don't tell you about those that fail out. people fail out all the time. yes, If you fail, you can take the usmle step again, but I don't know anyone who Ever failed any of the USME that didn't get stuck in some crappy ass residency program and I know of some who didn't even place at all!. scores make or break you in human medicine. and the MCAT is like a kindergarten test compared to those USMLE tests. so, if you really think you want to do human medicine, start there. I studied for 9 months 8 hours a day 5 days a week, and my science gpa going in was a 3.89. And that test was hard. If you can get a good competitive score on the MCAT, and you are not burnt out, then move forward with medical school. bottom line is people can say all they want to. It doesn't matter what we think. YOU have to get up every morning and go to work. Make it worthwhile. and do it for the right reasons. I went into medicine instead of animal medicine because the debt vs wage worried me as well. and speaking for myself it was a terrible reason to go into human medicine and it cost me more in the long run. Now I have an additional 2.5 years of medical school loans on top of any veterinary school loans. and to me, it was still worth leaving. just my two cents.

1. If you think you will cease seeing gross things on humans as a vet, you are wrong. I have had clients lift shirts, almost drop pants, etc to "show me" this "rash/scar/surgical incision/etc" and do I think it looks ok. Yeah, many of us agree with you wholeheartedly humans are GROSS and they will still show you that ****. Clearly you won't see it as much, but be ready to still get it occasionally.

2. Getting bit should worry you. Veterinarians have lost fingers, arms, legs, etc from animal bites. A severe bite can mean the difference between still working and not still working. Get worried about them. Quickly. They need to be taken seriously.

3. Oh FFS, medicine isn't a "calling" and neither is veterinary medicine... they are jobs. You need to enjoy science and enjoy medicine and enjoying putting together clinical puzzles, but so sick of this "calling" bull**** people spew. Those who think these professions are a "calling" also think you should eat, breathe and bathe in everything involved in them and quite literally... I think it is responsible for why so many medical professionals are depressed. We are conditioned that we should LOVE the field with ever fiber of our being and the truth is... you can hate it sometimes.

4. Non compliance is rampant in veterinary medicine. Most people blame you for their non-compliance except in veterinary medicine their non-compliance hurts their innocent pet, at least in human medicine (for the majority of cases), non-compliance only hurts the patient. They don't want to get better, meh, that is on them. But someone not helping their pet who has no say in the situation is infuriating.

5. Just because a veterinary practice makes a 7K figure doesn't mean the owner of said practice is skipping home with a 7K salary.... he/she isn't. Actually he/she is probably lucky to go home with 1/5th to 1/6th of that after rent on the property, electricity, gas, water bill, equipment upkeep, practice license fees, state veterinary license fees (for the owner and all associates), DEA fees, malpractice fees, paying staff, paying for any health insurances, 401K, other benefits for staff, getting any upgrades needed, maintenance of the building, any fees associated with sending people to collections if they didn't pay, paying for the medications, vaccinations, the food that is stocked in the clinic, etc. Yeah you don't get a 7 figure salary at the end of the day. Many veterinary clinic owners make LESS than their associates.

6. Hahah... you don't know a farm vet that has a take home salary of over $100k, they might pull in $100k but guarantee some of that is bleeding out in equipment fees, truck expenses or something else and their actual real take home is akin to $50-60k

7. Oh, yes, the good ol' buy a clinic advice.... that is much easier said than done if you have $400k in student loan debt. And see above about how not all practice owners are rolling in the dough. The ones that are doing well, I guarantee graduated over 10 years ago or don't have large student debt loads. You aren't opening a clinic if you have over $200k in debt.

It was worth leaving because you weren't happy with human medicine. You aren't a veterinarian currently so you can't state if it was worth leaving AND jumping ship to veterinary medicine.

Oh and in some post you mentioned that doctors can have $400k in debt.... guess what so do vets!!! Except we make at most 1/2 of what a Dr does (in general practice) and do 3x the work easily (don't know many human GP's that see emergencies, do full dental work, do full surgeries, anesthetize patients, provide preventive care, manage chronic conditions, diagnose chronic conditions, remove potentially cancer masses, etc).

Overall we work longer hours, open on weekends, have similar (or more) debt as a human GP and do much more work than they do for a fraction of the pay.

Every field has its pros/cons, but don't anticipate starting up a practice and skipping home with a 7 figure salary in your pocket.... it won't happen.

Reactions: 12 users

tenor.gif

1. If you think you will cease seeing gross things on humans as a vet, you are wrong. I have had clients lift shirts, almost drop pants, etc to "show me" this "rash/scar/surgical incision/etc" and do I think it looks ok. Yeah, many of us agree with you wholeheartedly humans are GROSS and they will still show you that ****. Clearly you won't see it as much, but be ready to still get it occasionally.
While on clinics last year, I had a middle-aged owner wet his pants. Didn't ask to use the bathroom, just wet his pants while I did a retinal exam on his dog. Then stayed in the room for the next hour. It was a good time.

As someone with a neurogenic bladder, I felt super bad for the dude, but didn't enjoy the cleanup very much.

While on clinics last year, I had a middle-aged owner wet his pants. Didn't ask to use the bathroom, just wet his pants while I did a retinal exam on his dog. Then stayed in the room for the next hour. It was a good time.

As someone with a neurogenic bladder, I felt super bad for the dude, but didn't enjoy the cleanup very much.

The first clinic I worked at had this elderly lady and her husband in to pick up food for their pet. Elderly lady went to use the bathroom. She couldn't hold it in. ...there was poop all the way down the hallway through boarding, into the bathroom, all over the floor, walls, sink, toilet, etc. The tech who cleaned that was a damn rock star.

Reactions: 1 user

I had a client a couple years back, who’s personal hygenine standards were abysmal at most decide that NOW, while I’m trying to get a history, was the best time to take her shoes and socks off and clip her toenails. :barf:

Humans are gross and we still have to professionally deal with them as vets.

Now if technology advances, however, and the dog can give us a full history and just have the owner’s credit card attached to the collar... that’d be the dream!

You can't escape horrible clients in shelter medicine either. I (and many of my coworkers) have had people throw dead animals at me, threaten me, and do all kinds of nasty things in my presence. Do you know what a house covered in wall-to-wall human and animal feces looks like? I do.

As unfortunate as it may or may not be (depending on your perspective), people are everywhere and it is virtually impossible to escape dealing with them.

I had a client a couple years back, who’s personal hygenine standards were abysmal at most decide that NOW, while I’m trying to get a history, was the best time to take her shoes and socks off and clip her toenails. :barf:

Humans are gross and we still have to professionally deal with them as vets.

Now if technology advances, however, and the dog can give us a full history and just have the owner’s credit card attached to the collar... that’d be the dream!

...WHAT THE ****

I mean, we had a lady just drop to her knees and urinate in our front lobby while yelling "I'M A DOG, I'M A DOG" last year, but at least that could be cleaned with a mop....

...WHAT THE ****

I mean, we had a lady just drop to her knees and urinate in our front lobby while yelling "I'M A DOG, I'M A DOG" last year, but at least that could be cleaned with a mop....
I have to admit. This made me laugh really hard

Reactions: 1 user
Well, coming from human medicine myself. I too left after a couple of years into medical school. My grades were top of my class and my Dean tried everything to talk me out of it. I know exactly what Mytime2Fly was trying to say. it is not about the animals being less gross or less compliant etc as some tried to point out. we all know otherwise. I have encountered gross and non-compliant people in the last practice i worked as well. However, for me. it is way less irritating and I love going to work. I also know that you can have your ideal clients. You have to get through school like everyone does and then you CHOOSE your path. my clients are incredibly compliant. In fact MORE than compliant. I am amazed at the lengths people go for their pets at my work. I work in a specialty clinic so before the clients even walk through the door 99% of them are there because they made the appointment full well with the intention of getting their animal treated. And yes, the doctors I work with own the clinic and they have sat me down and had a very heart to heart talk about finances. They opened their books and were honest. THey do make over 7 figures. And said that if I chose general GP I would not. and they had general GP practices before and both went back to residency to get board certified. Now the one doc lives in a huge house on the water and is on his boat every weekend. So vet med is what you do with it. I know I could never go back to human medicine. I was at the top of my class, had an extremely competitive research position and I left. Regret is a terrible thing to live with. Hence my username. I love what I'm doing now. I've been bit and pooped on and vomited on like the above people trying to compare vet med to human med. I don't think that is the point. I think the point is when you love what you do all the "yuck" that comes with the job is easier to tolerate. Because every job has "yuck'.

Well, coming from human medicine myself. I too left after a couple of years into medical school. My grades were top of my class and my Dean tried everything to talk me out of it. I know exactly what Mytime2Fly was trying to say. it is not about the animals being less gross or less compliant etc as some tried to point out. we all know otherwise. I have encountered gross and non-compliant people in the last practice i worked as well. However, for me. it is way less irritating and I love going to work. I also know that you can have your ideal clients. You have to get through school like everyone does and then you CHOOSE your path. my clients are incredibly compliant. In fact MORE than compliant. I am amazed at the lengths people go for their pets at my work. I work in a specialty clinic so before the clients even walk through the door 99% of them are there because they made the appointment full well with the intention of getting their animal treated. And yes, the doctors I work with own the clinic and they have sat me down and had a very heart to heart talk about finances. They opened their books and were honest. THey do make over 7 figures. And said that if I chose general GP I would not. and they had general GP practices before and both went back to residency to get board certified. Now the one doc lives in a huge house on the water and is on his boat every weekend. So vet med is what you do with it. I know I could never go back to human medicine. I was at the top of my class, had an extremely competitive research position and I left. Regret is a terrible thing to live with. Hence my username. I love what I'm doing now. I've been bit and pooped on and vomited on like the above people trying to compare vet med to human med. I don't think that is the point. I think the point is when you love what you do all the "yuck" that comes with the job is easier to tolerate. Because every job has "yuck'.
Not gonna lie, this seems a lot like MyTime2Fly posting under a new account lol

As was surmised, that was a second account made for the purpose of posting in this thread. This is against TOS, as such, the second profile has been banned. Please remember to keep it civil and professional in all discussions and follow the terms of service agreed upon when signing up for membership.

Carry on.

As was surmised, that was a second account made for the purpose of posting in this thread. This is against TOS, as such, the second profile has been banned. Please remember to keep it civil and professional in all discussions and follow the terms of service agreed upon when signing up for membership.

Carry on.

Oh hot damn, I was just starting to become convinced that going back through residency and starting a practice was my way to a seven figure salary!

Good news guys! I am procrastinating and googled if a veterinarian can be a millionaire! @DVMDream clearly is slacking!!!

View attachment 244206

The clinic where I was the only full time vet and there was one part time vet had a revenue just shy of $1 million (over $950k).... those who need 5 vets for that are slacking. :p

Also "revenue"... you still aren't skipping to the bank with a million dollars as your personal salary. ;)

Key word: Revenue
He also gave a list of 3 mistakes that veterinarians make that cause them to not be millionaires. :laugh:

1. They take out student loans to go through college rather than putting work into getting scholarships and paying their way.
  2. They buy way too much house with a mortgage and end up giving much of their salary to a bank as payments.
  3. They buy cars on payments rather than buying a cheap, reliable used vehicle.

(Also, I should probably mention all my posts are dripping with sarcasm. Please do not take them seriously)

Reactions: 2 users
He also gave a list of 3 mistakes that veterinarians make that cause them to not be millionaires. :laugh:

1. They take out student loans to go through college rather than putting work into getting scholarships and paying their way.
  2. They buy way too much house with a mortgage and end up giving much of their salary to a bank as payments.
  3. They buy cars on payments rather than buying a cheap, reliable used vehicle.
I feel like #1 should just be "they aren't already rich"