Apply early in June with a 3.15 sGPA or take 2, 4 week summer classes so I can be at a 3.2+ in July?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlugMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all but I have some background:

I have a 26 MCAT (all 8's and 9's). No DO schools on my list has told that I will be screened out based on my MCAT. I think GPA is my application's weakness. At the end of the semester, I should have ~3.3 overall and 3.15 science GPA.

The 2 classes I plan on taking are health education/science type classes that are easy and are considered science according to AACOMAS FAQ. Basically blatant science GPA boosters.

The rest of my application is solid: 6 strong LOR's (2 DO's), I have shadowed 5 DO's, I have a lot of strong EC's, and hopefully my personal statement is strong as well.

So I have 2 pathways:
1. Be verified in mid June with a 3.3/3.15
2. Be verified in mid-late July with a 3.3/3.2+

Every school I have talked has told me to apply very early and broadly which I intend to do.

Basically, is a +0.05 science gpa boost worth it to delay my application by 4-6 weeks?

I personally am leaning towards NO since applying very early would be less stressful due to having no classes and my application would be read much sooner.

Members don't see this ad.

I think applying as early as possible + updating schools with your grades later would be the better bet.

Reactions: 3 users
I think applying as early as possible + updating schools with your grades later would be the better bet.

Agree.

Also, make sure you apply to almost all the (bottom-tier) schools because your GPA is very low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree.

Also, make sure you apply to almost all the (bottom-tier) schools because your GPA is very low.
What would you say the bottom - tier schools are?

What would you say the bottom - tier schools are?

Liberty
BCOM
VCOMS
WVCOM
LECOM Bradenton
WCUCOM
Pikeville
I'm sure there's at least another new school opening next cycle. Add whatever it is.

Betterish
ACOM
MUCOM
LMU DCOM
LECOM Erie
AT Stills
CUSOM

Personally I say wait until July with a 3.2. A 3.2 will get you more looks than a 3.15 and July is still early for the DO cycle. I've heard AACOMAS updates can me a pain and sometimes they drop the ball.

Personally I say wait until July with a 3.2. A 3.2 will get you more looks than a 3.15 and July is still early for the DO cycle. I've heard AACOMAS updates can me a pain and sometimes they drop the ball.

Exactly, I have heard the same too. I am really torn because on one hand the 3.2 is better than 3.15 but I don't want to be verified 4 weeks later.

@Goro what do you think?

I applied with identical GPA. Took the new MCAT (505) and had 5 LORs all MD/DO. applied and accepted to my in-state school.. Its worth a shot and tenacity during the next year will be worth even more.

I believe in applying with the best possible app. As the DO cycle is longer, OP can apply in Sept with the 3.2+ and be ready to roll.

Exactly, I have heard the same too. I am really torn because on one hand the 3.2 is better than 3.15 but I don't want to be verified 4 weeks later.

@Goro what do you think?

Reactions: 1 user
I believe in applying with the best possible app. As the DO cycle is longer, OP can apply in Sept with the 3.2+ and be ready to roll.

If I do take the classes then I will submit around June 20th when the grades come out. I should be verified by mid-late July. I am hoping to impress adcoms by how early I apply because I have already promised several that I will apply early due to my low GPA. You think they will still be happy with mid-late july vs mid June?

Nobody cares how early you apply. What we care about is evidence that you can handle medical school.

Maybe I am taking this a little too literal but I thought applying early was of the outmost importance? I know you wouldn't say dont apply early.

Are you trying to say that June, July, August don't make a difference because it is still considered early?

For DO schools it doesn't mattet, Capeesh?

Maybe I am taking this a little too literal but I thought applying early was of the outmost importance? I know you wouldn't say dont apply early.

Are you trying to say that June, July, August don't make a difference because it is still considered early?

Reactions: 1 user
Get verified earlier. I ran into same dilemma and put courses that I was retaking as in progress and updated my grades. At that point.. a .5 jump isn't that big of a deal. The 26 MCAT may hurt you so you need to apply broadly and early. Update later.