Apply June '16 or change carreer path? GPA 3.38

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allons-y

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm feeling a little desperate lately and truly don't know what to do anymore. I'm a senior at UF majoring in nutrition. My GPA is 3.38 :shrug:(I'm hoping to drag it up just a tiny bit by graduation T.T).
  • Research: 1 year of basic grunt work in nutrition lab; Also does research class count as research experience? (I took a social science research class where we dedicate a semester to 1 a silly paper on experiences at local market.)
  • Dent volunteer: ~200 hours (I can do more over the summer or gap year.)
  • E.C: Officer for 2 year in small pre-health club
  • LoR: Done (2 science teacher and 1 dentist) Should I look for more professors?
My options:
  1. Apply for 2017 cycle this June and take the DAT (maybe in Later June/early July?).
    • What DAT score should I aim for?
    • Should I retake classes that I didn't do so well in during my gap year?
  2. Grad school. Then reapply in 2 years? I don't think I have the money for this though :/
  3. Switch to another pre-health profession. I have been feeling a bit hopeless lately and am considering this.

I truely love dentistry but looking at my peers at UF and on SDN, I feel like I don't stand a chance at all. What is your recommendation/advice on the next step? What else can I do to improve?

Thank you sooo much!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

i don't understand why you are so worried. GPA is not that low but try to make all A's this year to bring it up as much as possible. i would focus solely on school and studying for the DAT this year. as far as the DAT, everyone should aim for a 30. ideally you'll land somewhere in the 20s.
honestly, i think you have set yourself up nicely to apply next year. focus on school, DAT, and your personal statement. in May, look into how you need to submit your LOR's and transcripts. june - mid july take DAT and submit your app.

It's hard to say without your DAT score. But, I know someone who got into dental school with your gpa and had a 21 on DAT. Got 5 interviews out of 23. You should apply 2016 and apply early!! Like June early!! You should be fine. In the meantime focus on giving back to your community and ofcourse school!