MD applying for Im..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imdream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to become an internist but am a little worried about my chances.
229 step1 239 step2 GC holder, Carib student non-big 4. grad on Jan 18. no research or publication working on them

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to become an internist but am a little worried about my chances.
229 step1 239 step2 GC holder, Carib student non-big 4. grad on Jan 18. no research or publication working on them
NRMP charting outcomes should have the data to answer this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
NRMP charting outcomes should have the data to answer this question.

Lowly pre-med here, but would these stats be enough for a domestic MD student to get a decent IM residency (just based on stats, not research/service)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lowly pre-med here, but would these stats be enough for a domestic MD student to get a decent IM residency (just based on stats, not research/service)?

If you're an US MD (allopathic), US citizen, with Step 1 in the high 220s and Step 2CK in the high 230s, and you apply broadly, then you'll definitely get a decent IM residency, at least based on current trends.

However, since you're pre-med now, then I assume you won't start med school for at least another year at the very earliest (but probably longer than that). Med school is another 4 years. So that's a minimum of 5 years away from now. Things could change in 5+ years. I doubt the competitiveness will change drastically for IM, but you never know.

Reactions: 2 users

Yes... It's an unfair system.

That's why it has been said so many times in so many threads here, try US DO first before going to the Caribbean if you are a US citizen.

You can even become a surgeon with these stats as a US MD student....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Lol, the posts just above yours said to check out Charting Outcomes. You can literally see acceptance rate by Step 1 score for each specialty for US MD seniors.

That's why it has been said so many times in so many threads here, try US DO first before going to the Caribbean if you are a US citizen.

Eh, IDK if I'd really call it unfair. I think it would be more unfair to treat Carib grads as equal to US MD knowing that they essentially took a "shortcut" to getting into med school

Reactions: 1 users
My home institution regularly takes Caribbean students. Reputation wise I would put them in the bottom 50 percentile for IM, but I still think its an awesome IM program. All the residents seem relatively happy, and I see a lot of them getting pretty high regarded fellowships.

My home institution regularly takes Caribbean students. Reputation wise I would put them in the bottom 50 percentile for IM, but I still think its an awesome IM program. All the residents seem relatively happy, and I see a lot of them getting pretty high regarded fellowships.

where is your home institution ?

It's not an unfair system. These aren't US schools that have US accreditation. You go outside the system, you're going to have risks and unequal treatment.

Reactions: 1 user