This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgfdsrt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I currently a student in grade 9, for all my life I have wanted to go to med school, and become a doctor. Not because of the benefits that come with it, but because I am just generally interested in how the human body works and I am fascinated about it. I really want to go to med school, but I do not know HOW I should get in, all I know is that after 4 years of undergrad you do the MCAT test and apply and *HOPE* to get accepted. I want to have a heads up of what to study, easier routes, and what I should expect on my journey. If you are reading this and have went through all this, please tell me how it's like.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Get good grades in high school
2) Apply and get into college somewhere you'll enjoy

That's about it for right now, you've got a very long road ahead of you! Take it step by step and it'll work out in the end. You can take whatever major your want in college as long as you have a few of the prerequisite courses taken care of for medical school admissions, and those could change within the next 7 years, so don't stress about it just yet. But yes, the gist of it is: get into college, maintain a good GPA, do well on the MCAT, volunteer, and get some experience working/volunteering with patients. Like I said, you've got a lot of time between now and when you will apply for medical school, lots can change in the meanwhile, so just focus on HS and your college applications in a few years and everything else will fall into place later on!

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Reactions: 1 user
1) Get good grades in high school
2) Apply and get into college somewhere you'll enjoy

That's about it for right now, you've got a very long road ahead of you! Take it step by step and it'll work out in the end. You can take whatever major your want in college as long as you have a few of the prerequisite courses taken care of for medical school admissions, and those could change within the next 7 years, so don't stress about it just yet. But yes, the gist of it is: get into college, maintain a good GPA, do well on the MCAT, volunteer, and get some experience working/volunteering with patients. Like I said, you've got a lot of time between now and when you will apply for medical school, lots can change in the meanwhile, so just focus on HS and your college applications in a few years and everything else will fall into place later on!

Best of luck in your endeavors!
Thanks! Means a lot to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look into BA/MD or DO joint programs (some are 7, some are 8) when you apply to college for undergrad. Also look into EAP programs your second years of college (basically early assurance and see if it's right for you). there's also a lot of programs for high school students offered by universities ranging from research to clinical exposure so I highly suggest that + another easy thing to do (and was where I decided the health care field was for me) is to volunteer in a hospital. Depending on where you are it can be quite hard to get into junior programs, but I really really enjoyed volunteering. + of course study hard and make sure to major in something you love since non-science majors can u go to med school as well. Good luck though!

Look into BA/MD or DO joint programs
If you're going to go for it, go big, don't accidentally handicap yourself for your career later in life. BA/MD joint programs are good to keep in mind, but they are extremely competitive to get into because of the large benefit of simultaneous admission. The exception is if you have already fallen in love with osteopathic medicine, then by all means go for a combined BA/DO program.

I did forget to mention the programs some medical schools have for sophomores to apply to, definitely take advantage if there are schools that you fall in love with (one of my friends did this with Mt. Sinai in NYC and didn't even need to take the MCAT!)

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should start volunteering NOW. Go to a hospital and ask for volunteering department.
Do volunteering on weekends :) In HS, I did tons of volunteering for a church.

Reactions: 1 user