APPLYING TO AOA INTERNAL MEDICINE WITH COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOorDONT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Well, I've been reading SDN since 2010, when I entered college and for better or worse, this website has always been a resource I've come back to. Now, I'm in medical school, DO, and in my 3rd year. I'll be graduating next year, hopefully, in 2019. During that time AOA residencies should still exist and by 2020 they'll be sucked up by the empire that is the ACGME. Anyway, I've been concerned enough to make an SDN account, because I need some help. I had some personal issues come up during my USMLE/COMLEX I study time, and I ended up only taking COMLEX I. Yes, I know, I should've taken both. But I had a death in my extended family, and I honestly could not study. Anyway, I got a 544 on COMLEX I. Yes, again I know, I should've gotten a 600. It is what it is. My question is this:

What are my chances of getting an AOA Internal Medicine residency with a 544?
I am also interested in AOA EM, do I have a chance with a 544?

Thank you. Any help is appreciated. And I still can't believe I finally made an SDN account lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Has there been any confirmation that AOA match will continue to exist in 2019? Last I heard was that they didn't know if it was going to continue to exist.

Hey everyone. Well, I've been reading SDN since 2010, when I entered college and for better or worse, this website has always been a resource I've come back to. Now, I'm in medical school, DO, and in my 3rd year. I'll be graduating next year, hopefully, in 2019. During that time AOA residencies should still exist and by 2020 they'll be sucked up by the empire that is the ACGME. Anyway, I've been concerned enough to make an SDN account, because I need some help. I had some personal issues come up during my USMLE/COMLEX I study time, and I ended up only taking COMLEX I. Yes, I know, I should've taken both. But I had a death in my extended family, and I honestly could not study. Anyway, I got a 544 on COMLEX I. Yes, again I know, I should've gotten a 600. It is what it is. My question is this:

Thank you. Any help is appreciated. And I still can't believe I finally made an SDN account lol.

I would work on your passive aggressive tone to be quite honest.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Former AOA IM shouldn't be a problem in my opinion, nor should community IM and maybe some low tier academics. I think that former AOA EM could possibly be an issue as there isn't many of them, but everyone always claims thats SLOEs are the great equalizer. Just pass everything, and I still believe you should match.

Reactions: 1 users
You make me roll my eyes. Is this a troll thread or are you looking for an ego stroke? You know you can match IM with comlex. Stop being ridiculous.

You make me roll my eyes. Is this a troll thread or are you looking for an ego stroke? You know you can match IM with comlex. Stop being ridiculous.
Thank you for replying everyone. I didn't think I'd get any advice. But also:
1. I am not trolling, I am sincerely looking for help (I'll explain my school's situation after this list)
2. If I sounded "passive aggressive", I apologize, that was not my intention.

So the reason why I'm asking about my chances of securing AOA IM, which will exist in 2018-2019, is because the hospital I am currently at demands a COMLEX LEVEL I 600 JUST TO AUDITION FOR IM. Yes. On top of that, the director of my clinical education, who guides students to residencies has told me I need a 600 now for IM. But I was very skeptical about that.

Thank you for replying everyone. I didn't think I'd get any advice. But also:
1. I am not trolling, I am sincerely looking for help (I'll explain my school's situation after this list)
2. If I sounded "passive aggressive", I apologize, that was not my intention.

So the reason why I'm asking about my chances of securing AOA IM, which will exist in 2018-2019, is because the hospital I am currently at demands a COMLEX LEVEL I 600 JUST TO AUDITION FOR IM. Yes. On top of that, the director of my clinical education, who guides students to residencies has told me I need a 600 now for IM. But I was very skeptical about that.

Then apply to a different hospital. And any administrator or coordinator or whatever from a DO school is absolutely useless.

Then apply to a different hospital. And any administrator or coordinator or whatever from a DO school is absolutely useless.
But what do you think about my chances? The reason I'm asking about all this is because, I can't find a GME study for AOA residencies for last year 2017, which would state the average COMLEX scores of each specialty (internal, peds, general surg, family, etc.). And AOA residencies were definitely operating last year. I can find NRMP data, but the NMS data is hard to come by.

But what do you think about my chances? The reason I'm asking about all this is because, I can't find a GME study for AOA residencies for last year 2017, which would state the average COMLEX scores of each specialty (internal, peds, general surg, family, etc.). And AOA residencies were definitely operating last year. I can find NRMP data, but the NMS data is hard to come by.

Your COMLEX is slightly below national average for our class. You'll match somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Your COMLEX is slightly below national average for our class. You'll match somewhere.
Thank you. How about for AOA EM? Do you think I have a shot at that? I'm planning audition rotations for EM in Michigan, in the MSUCOM system. I called them and they said, they don't have a "minimum COMLEX LEVEL I" needed to audition, just pass the first time.

Thank you. How about for AOA EM? Do you think I have a shot at that? I'm planning audition rotations for EM in Michigan, in the MSUCOM system. I called them and they said, they don't have a "minimum COMLEX LEVEL I" needed to audition, just pass the first time.

I won't say you can't, but it will be hard. I'm going into EM and it's quite competitive. I don't really think there will be many AOA spots next year for EM. I feel that most will have converted or they will not accept applicants anymore knowing that they will be closing. With that being said, not having taken Step 1 is a bigger barrier than your COMLEX score. If you really really want EM then I'd say go for low tier old AOA programs for auditions and also apply to IM community programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I won't say you can't, but it will be hard. I'm going into EM and it's quite competitive. I don't really think there will be many AOA spots next year for EM. I feel that most will have converted or they will not accept applicants anymore knowing that they will be closing. With that being said, not having taken Step 1 is a bigger barrier than your COMLEX score. If you really really want EM then I'd say go for low tier old AOA programs for auditions and also apply to IM community programs.
Yeah it seems every DO i know, is going EM lol. Do you happen to know any low-tier AOA EM programs?

I know people who matched AOA IM and EM this year with numbers similar to yours (USMLE irrelevant in this scenario since you can’t even submit it to AOA programs). You definitely don’t need a 600 for AOA IM as a rule, even if one particular program has that cutoff.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how many programs will still participate in the AOA match next cycle. There was a big drop-off in EM this year as programs either switched to ACGME or stopped accepting applicants; I imagine the same phenomenon will hit IM this coming year.