Applying to Dental School after 3 years undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofM14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So I am beginning sophomore at the University of Michigan and am very interested in going to dental school. Since I have been about 10 years old I have been interested in dentistry and I have been involved in pre-dental clubs, dentistry-related research, job shadowing (almost have 100 hours total), etc.. I know that applying to dental school after three years of undergrad is very difficult to do so I am thinking about taking the DAT this summer (after sophomore year) and applying the same summer. However, I came in with a lot of AP credit so I can still manage to get my bachelors degree in three years if I take one summer class. Thus, I think this is different than a majority of others who apply after three years without a bachelors degree. I think it would be a good opportunity to save money and shave a year off. I am very confident that this is something that I want to do and I believe that I am well prepared. Currently I have a 3.98 GPA and have finished all of my pre-requisites including Orgo, calc, etc. I have never heard of anyone applying after three years with a bachelors so I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Many schools will be very impressed, but they will also question your maturity aka well-roundedness since the average age of matriculants is around 24. Go for it and good luck!

Do it!! You've put a lot of thought and planning into this, I think lots of schools will like you because of it. You seem very well rounded to me but kill the DAT though! I know someone that went to dental school after three years of undergrad WITHOUT a bachelors degree. Good luck buddy!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did this. I did a good amount of dual-enrollment credits in high school, took the DAT this June and applied this cycle which was after my 2nd year of undergrad. Currently completing my 3rd and final year of bachelors.

I applied to 13 schools, have a 3.8 GPA and 19 DAT. currently 19 years old.

1000+ hours volunteering have a ton of ECs, some research w/out publication about 200 hours shadowing.

I'll let you know if I get in!

I did this. I did a good amount of dual-enrollment credits in high school, took the DAT this June and applied this cycle which was after my 2nd year of undergrad. Currently completing my 3rd and final year of bachelors.

I applied to 13 schools, have a 3.8 GPA and 19 DAT. currently 19 years old.

1000+ hours volunteering have a ton of ECs, some research w/out publication about 200 hours shadowing.

I'll let you know if I get in!

You probably won't with that age and DAT score combination but good luck!

Give me a break, some of this kids are more mature than 24 year olds.

Probably true, but it's still statistically unlikely for those with only three years of undergrad to get in - and the odds are even further stacked against him with the below matriculant average DAT score. Schools will sometimes make an exception for really young applicants when their application is stellar in every aspect - Hafizdr's isn't.

@Hafizdr scored a 19. That is indeed the average score of accepted students.

No, it factually is not. The average score of accepted students last year was a 19.9 exactly. Removing Puerto Rico for obvious reasons, it is a clean 20.

1000 hours of volunteering, significant research and 200 hours of shadowing is exceptional. Keep in mind that this kid has done this in only two years, and this is more than what most applicants do in four years.

None of the things you listed make an applicant stand out. A lack of volunteering and shadowing hours will hold an applicant back, but having substantial volunteering and shadowing hours does not conversely make an application exceptional - in fact, they are expected of almost all applicants. "Some research without a publication" is not exceptional either. You should be realistic in giving an appraisal of one's chances, not excessively optimistic.

Last edited:

Last edited:
No, it factually is not. The average score of accepted students last year was a 19.9 exactly. Removing Puerto Rico for obvious reasons, it is a clean 20.

None of the things you listed make an applicant stand out. A lack of volunteering and shadowing hours will hold an applicant back, but having substantial volunteering and shadowing hours does not conversely make an application exceptional - in fact, they are expected of almost all applicants. "Some research without a publication" is not exceptional either. You should be realistic in giving an appraisal of one's chances, not excessively optimistic.

I know my DAT score is on the lower spectrum. However, I have applied pretty broadly, am a WICHE applicant, also have MANY other ECs, excellent LORs, and I hope those will make up for my DAT score. This is also my third post high school degree.

Even if they don't I'll still be average age if I dont get in for three or four cycles.

What makes you think you are more realistic than me? We have so little information about this applicant. This kid already applied so might as well be optimistic rather than choosing to put them down. Don't you think that applying to dental school is stressful enough?
Thanks @A Pre-dent it definitely is stressful enough lol. Just hoping for the best! Good luck to all the applicants out there.
I think its really important to always have a good attitude. Its not like have a 3.0 GPA or 16AA so I'm not super worried.

Waiting a year to get that BS may not be a bad idea. You never know when you're gonna need a college degree later on. For one, you can't be an astronaut without a college degree in a STEM field.

I know my DAT score is on the lower spectrum. However, I have applied pretty broadly, am a WICHE applicant, also have MANY other ECs, excellent LORs, and I hope those will make up for my DAT score. This is also my third post high school degree.

Even if they don't I'll still be average age if I dont get in for three or four cycles.

The issue is not ordinary application cycles, where you would do fine. It is specifically that you are applying as a 19 year old with only 2 years of undergrad under your belt. The odds of getting accepted even for students with fantastic stats at that age is not great, as dental schools prefer to see a full four years of undergrad at time of matriculation. Those that do get in under these circumstances (people do, but few and far between) are exceptional applicants.

Edited. Wrong Thread

Last edited: