Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Applying to New Osteopathic schools

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by ATP Synthase, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ATP Synthase

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was going to apply for the 2008 entering class but since some new schools are offering extended dealines and free secondary applictaion fee for the entering class of 2007 I was think of applying now...Is it easier to get in the newer schools? Do I have a chance if I apply now?

2. bth7

bth7 It's worth it in the end . . .
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You still definitely have a chance. Try Touro's three schools: NY, NV, and CA. This will be the first class for the NY school.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Han Bozo

Han Bozo The Spankmaster
    2+ Year Member

It will definitely be easier to get in... but you have to consider the fact that the school is new. Which carries with it a whole host of problems (curriculum, professors, overall organization). I speak from experience. I can't say I regret my choice but I wonder what I'm missing out on, or am unneccesarily being subjected to (only because the school is new and trying to prove itself), compared to an established school with a proven track record.

My totally unprofessional (and therefore worth about as much as everyone else on these forums) advice is to go to a school that has already graduated its first class and is willing to put its board scores out there for everyone to see. Be wary of their kindness at your interviews.

Don't believe the hype.

4. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    The hype of new schools, or established schools ...?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    new

6. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Which one are you at?