This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParNej

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first post so I apologize if this might be in the wrong forum.

I'm a Canadian student who's planning to apply to MHA programs in the US. My top 3 schools would be Columbia, John Hopkins, and University of Washington. I was curious to know how easy/tough it is to get in as an international student to these schools. I know it's a tough question to ask considering I'm not in my application cycle yet so there's not much information to go on, but I'm estimating my GPA to be around 3.2 by the time I graduate.

Also, to any Canadian students who are now studying in the States, how does the GPA conversion work? Because I keep trying to estimate what my GPA will look like to the admissions offices to get an idea of what the US equivalent is to Canadian GPAs.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a person who got into Columbia for their MPH with a gpa around the same. Its stupidly expensive though for the MPH, not sure if its the same for MHA.

I would definitely look into costs for the MHA program. Do a comparision with canadian programs too, and see if the extra costs are worth it. If they are willing to take you with a 3.2, and nothing outside of extraordinary work experiences and life experiences to compensate...think twice about why? Huge class sizes? High cost tuition? etc etc. The name of the school is meaningless if you have to pay 80K for the program and they take 300 people in their classes. You're better off going to a canadian program, if it is much cheaper.

Alot of "ifs" and considerations, its up to you to do the research and work to figure it out.

I know a person who got into Columbia for their MPH with a gpa around the same. Its stupidly expensive though for the MPH, not sure if its the same for MHA.

I would definitely look into costs for the MHA program. Do a comparision with canadian programs too, and see if the extra costs are worth it. If they are willing to take you with a 3.2, and nothing outside of extraordinary work experiences and life experiences to compensate...think twice about why? Huge class sizes? High cost tuition? etc etc. The name of the school is meaningless if you have to pay 80K for the program and they take 300 people in their classes. You're better off going to a canadian program, if it is much cheaper.

Alot of "ifs" and considerations, its up to you to do the research and work to figure it out.

Truthfully, I haven't even given Canada much of a glance. I ultimately want to work in US, and from what some people who have done the same have told me, it's simply easier to get a job if you study there. That being said, if I were to apply anywhere in Canada, it'd probably be UBC or UofO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Truthfully, I haven't even given Canada much of a glance. I ultimately want to work in US, and from what some people who have done the same have told me, it's simply easier to get a job if you study there. That being said, if I were to apply anywhere in Canada, it'd probably be UBC or UofO.
Definitely not necessarily fully true. Sure you'd make some connections if there is a co-op program etc. But unless you are also an american citizen...good luck getting a company to hire you in the U.S. without at least a few years experience in Canada first. There are simply so many MPH and MHA grads out there, that unless you are a shining start there is no reason for them to go through the visa hassle and paperwork. But if you are a dual citizen, then you are on the right track.

it can easily be 40K+ a year USD (so like, 60K CAD) for american programs, compared to 10-15