Will this misdemeanor destroy me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few nights ago I was moving from one town to another in Georgia. I got pulled over for speeding while driving my partner’s car, which had just recently lapsed in insurance. We hadn’t started new insurance because we were literally saving to pay the ad valorem tax on the vehicle after moving (which is really expensive) and the only reason I was driving it was to get it from our old apartment to our new one.

I obviously should not have been speeding, and I wish I had realized that I was. I was just so tired and truly didn’t realize. Not an excuse, just venting.

Anyway, all traffic violations are misdemeanors in Georgia. I haven’t been “convicted” of the 1. Speeding, and 2. Driving uninsured offenses yet, but obviously these will need to be reported on my AMCAS. I plan to go to my court date just to talk to the judge to see if I can reduce anything at all, but my question is, when I report these on my AMCAS, will my chances be ruined?

I’m terribly stressed about this and fear it is going to make me look horribly irresponsible.

Members don't see this ad.

Just report it as a speeding ticket for now. That one they’ll easily overlook. By the time you might get convicted of the latter, which just looks worse, you’ll be well into the cycle. You can update when you have to do your background check and they’ll likely overlook the second, too. Combined, they just make the whole situation look worse. Not what you need in an already highly competitive environment. They might very well waive the insurance dilemma anyway.

This doesn't seem like an app killer to me. Yes, unwise, but falls under the category of "we all make mistakes" and "it's easier to get in legal trouble if you don't have money". I was accepted after disclosing an expunged criminal record for something much worse. Just be honest and do what you're supposed to do from now on.

One question though, were you more than 20mph over the speed limit? That's where it starts to cross the line from something most reasonable people do occasionally to a higher risk behavior.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't seem like an app killer to me. Yes, unwise, but falls under the category of "we all make mistakes" and "it's easier to get in legal trouble if you don't have money". I was accepted after disclosing an expunged criminal record for something much worse. Just be honest and do what you're supposed to do from now on.

One question though, were you more than 20mph over the speed limit? That's where it starts to cross the line from something most reasonable people do occasionally to a higher risk behavior.
I totally feel you. I was going exactly 20 over actually. It was in the middle of nowhere on a two-lane highway, and there were even people passing me. I was the unlucky one that the cop chose :( but I definitely shouldn’t have been speeding to begin with. I’ve been licensed for like 9 years now and this is my first moving violation.

I don't know if this is an option in your jurisdiction, but in my state, and for applicable traffic violations, you can just plead no contest and then do a online drivers ed thing and then its just dropped after paying the fee.

I don't know if this is an option in your jurisdiction, but in my state, and for applicable traffic violations, you can just plead no contest and then do a online drivers ed thing and then its just dropped after paying the fee.
That’s a valuable thought, for sure. I’m looking into that now. Thank you!

Anyway, all traffic violations are misdemeanors in Georgia. I haven’t been “convicted” of the 1. Speeding, and 2. Driving uninsured offenses yet, but obviously these will need to be reported on my AMCAS. I plan to go to my court date just to talk to the judge to see if I can reduce anything at all, but my question is, when I report these on my AMCAS, will my chances be ruined?
Refer to AMCAS's application guide, page 29. You do NOT need to report misdemeanors unless you are convicted/found guilty of the crime. Also, will you qualify for Georgia’s First Offender’s Act? If so, a guilty plea that was discharged by the court will not need to be reported either.

The best case scenario is to not have any misdemeanors on your record; however, a moving violation in a state where all violations are treated as misdemeanors will not "destroy" your application. Unhelpful? Definitely. Hurt? To some degree, yes. Destroy? Nope. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t think driving issues can sink an app unless it involves alcohol (or other drugs).

If convicted (including Nolo contendere pleas) you will have to report but it won’t be a big deal

Reactions: 1 users
A few nights ago I was moving from one town to another in Georgia. I got pulled over for speeding while driving my partner’s car, which had just recently lapsed in insurance. We hadn’t started new insurance because we were literally saving to pay the ad valorem tax on the vehicle after moving (which is really expensive) and the only reason I was driving it was to get it from our old apartment to our new one.

I obviously should not have been speeding, and I wish I had realized that I was. I was just so tired and truly didn’t realize. Not an excuse, just venting.

I’m terribly stressed about this and fear it is going to make me look horribly irresponsible.
I echo what Moko wrote.

I have also asked several admissions directors how they look at misdemeanors and infractions. They said one incident is not an automatic ding and that they look at them individually. Realize that in many states a moving traffic violation is not a misdemeanor.

It won't help you any, but it's more of a stupid mistake that all human beings make than a "horribly irresponsible" kind of thing.

Also see if you can go to traffic school as another poster suggested.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much to everybody for the thoughtful and helpful replies!

Exact thing thing happened to me in October (also in GA). I was going 19 over. Paid a lawyer 500 bucks and it’s like it never happened

Exact thing thing happened to me in October (also in GA). I was going 19 over. Paid a lawyer 500 bucks and it’s like it never happened
Great to know. Do you remember what argument your lawyer made at your court day?

Great to know. Do you remember what argument your lawyer made at your court day?
No I didn’t even go. It’s too much of a pain for prosecutors to deal with every ticket so lawyers can usually get them to drop it to a parking ticket or sm as long as you still pay the fine since money is the only thing the state cares about. Unless you were DUI or going like 40 over or hit a school bus or sm they don’t even have to make an argument