flakpilot

5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2009
201
1
91
Status
Medical Student
Hello everyone!
It's been a while since I've posted anything. I need help on deciding whether I should apply this cycle. Here's the thing:

I've been taking MCAT prep class with kaplan for about a month now, and tomorrow is my first practice exam and I haven't really studied for the MCAT. I'm signed up to take it on May 22nd, so I can apply early this cycle but here's the thing: I haven't taken orgo II or Physics II and as we've progressed on the prep course I've noticed how much that can hurt me. Also, my gpa is a crappy 3.32 as of now..so it seems now that I'll be getting approximately a 3.38 by the end of this semester and I was kinda hoping it would be over 3.4 by the time I applied. Besides the MCAT, everything else is ready, all of my teachers are working on my LORS, my personal statement is almost ready and I have pretty good EC's I believe.

Now..My original plan was that I would study for the MCAT along with the prep course, that I would study orgo II and physics II by myself with the help of KAPLAN and that I would take 2 3 credits classes during the summer so I could raise my gpa over 3.4. Now besides the MCAT issue, I realized that for the next to semesters until I graduate, I only have 3 classes for each and I would not be a full time student, so if I take those 2 classes over the summer I would have to take 2 other classes during fall 2010 and winter 2011 that I don't need and I really don't want to do that..

So here are my options:
1. Stick to plan A. Study like crazy as permitted for the MCAT and take it on MAY 22nd without orgo or phys II. Take the two classes over the summer (would be done by the ends of June) so I get the chance to raise the gpa over 3.4. Pros: apply early, get the chance to raise the gpa a bit. Cons: not sure how well I would do on the test since I would start craming this week, I would start summer classes on may 10, and my classes wouldn't match as wanted.

2. Still take the MCAT on the 22nd, not taking summer classes so my classes match as wanted but I wouldn't get the chance to get a bit higher gpa.

3. Postpone the MCAT. Take just one summer class, and take the MCAT by the ends of June, that way I would have about a month only to focuss on the test. Pros: more time to study for the test, will still apply this cycle and my classes would fit better and could still get the gpa over 3.4. Cons: Still would take it without orgo or phys 2, will apply with a gpa of around 3.38 and will not apply early. The results of the MCAT would be done by the ends of July.

4. Apply next year. Take physics 2 during the summer and study like crazy for the MCAT, take the MCAT around september. Pros: my classes will match, I'll get the chance to raise my gpa, have even more EC's have a better chance of doing well on the MCAT, and take it after seeing at least physics 2. Cons: Taking a year off.. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THAT, and I believe there are many schools that don't accept old MCAT? like the latest they accept is January of the year we're applying? I might be mistaken..


What do you guys think? How much would it hurt me not to apply early in case I go with option 3?. You can look at my EC's on my MDapps profile.

Thanks so much for your help! and sorry for the long email :)
 
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2009
44
0
0
Status
Medical Student
As bad as it might sound, I think you're best off waiting a year. With a somewhat low GPA you had better nail the MCAT to make up. I didn't think that there was alot of Orgo II and Physics II material on my test, but you may get a whole passage on Optics or Magnetism with 6 or 7 questions. In which case it would make it hard to nail the MCAT.

I ended up taking the MCAT without much dedicated study (I was working taking summer classes, volunteering, and working on my AMCAS application) I ended up getting a 25 so I decided to wait an extra year. I didn't want to do it, but I pretty much had to. I retook the MCAT and got a 31 and was then able to apply earlier and have more EC's. I took a couple of extra science classes (nonscience major) and extended my undergrad for one semester. It has ended up working out pretty well for me. (Although, I would still rather be med school right now)

That is my opinion. You probably know you the best what you can do and what you can't. Good Luck
 

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
8,829
165
281
34
Status
Resident [Any Field]
4. You will be SOL if, like a previous poster said, you wind up with an Optics or E&M passage in PS, or questions in BS about a mechanism you haven't learned yet. You're YOUNG, waiting another year isn't the end of the world.
 

flakpilot

5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2009
201
1
91
Status
Medical Student
Hello guys, thanks for your responses.
I'm thinking what I'm going to do is take physics II during the summer, that way I will get the chance to boost my gpa over 3.4 and have at least that covered for the mcat and take the mcat on June 17th. So from may 8 to June 17th i would only focuss on physics 2 and the MCAT. Of course, I would submitt the rest of my application on June 1st so I get verified as soon as possible. Providing I have the results by July 17th and that I work on the secondaries (since they're going to be available on SDN). As soon as I get the MCAt I Can apply and get the secondaries and send them inmediately. What do you guys think? Bad idea?
 

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
1,141
3
91
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Everyone who responded told you to wait a year. Why are you asking us again?

Yes, your plan is a bad one and you won't get into med school. So you will end up waiting a year anyway. But under worse circumstances.

Do what you want.
 
Last edited:

zzzBrett

hmm
Jan 12, 2010
24
1
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Besides application fees, is there any disadvantage for the OP to applying this year?
 
Sep 4, 2006
30,619
10,431
281
Inside the tesseract
Hello guys, thanks for your responses.
I'm thinking what I'm going to do is take physics II during the summer, that way I will get the chance to boost my gpa over 3.4 and have at least that covered for the mcat and take the mcat on June 17th. So from may 8 to June 17th i would only focuss on physics 2 and the MCAT. Of course, I would submit the rest of my application on June 1st so I get verified as soon as possible. Providing I have the results by July 17th and that I work on the secondaries (since they're going to be available on SDN). As soon as I get the MCAt I Can apply and get the secondaries and send them inmediately. What do you guys think? Bad idea?
Considering we have no indication of how strongly you'll perform on the MCAT, it's hard to give you a go-ahead blessing. If you proceed with this plan, I'd suggest you initially list only one med school so the verification can go ahead with AMCAS. After you get your score back, if it's weak you won't waste more money, and if it's strong you can add appropriate schools, all of which will get the entire application within one business day. IMO opinion you likely won't need OChem II so much, but you definitely need Physics II to perform well.
 
Sep 4, 2006
30,619
10,431
281
Inside the tesseract
Besides application fees, is there any disadvantage for the OP to applying this year?
1) Near-intolerable stress.
2) Some schools don't like reapplicants.
3) All schools you reapply to expect to see substantive improvements from the previous application.
4) LOR dates will be older.
 

flakpilot

5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2009
201
1
91
Status
Medical Student
Hello Catalystik...I should've probably mentioned that..that of course I would only submit the application with only one school and wait for the MCAT results before I applied to the other schools..
And slowbutsteady I understand what u guys are telling me it's just hard to get over the idea of taking a year of..
 

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
1,141
3
91
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello Catalystik...I should've probably mentioned that..that of course I would only submit the application with only one school and wait for the MCAT results before I applied to the other schools..
And slowbutsteady I understand what u guys are telling me it's just hard to get over the idea of taking a year of..
I understand that it is hard to wrap your head around the idea of taking a year off, but, trust me on this one, it will be the best decision you will ever make.

The best advice anyone can give you is to take your time, make your application the best it can possibly be (GPA, MCAT, ECs), and then go for it!!

Life is long and a year is NOTHING in the scheme of things. You will thank us for this some day.
 

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
1,422
1
91
Status
Pre-Medical
Everyone who responded told you to wait a year. Why are you asking us again?

Yes, your plan is a bad one and you won't get into med school. So you will end up waiting a year anyway. But under worse circumstances.

Do what you want.
That's a bit harsh and not true. I got in with a meh gpa as well. But it is a uphill battle. Lots of things come into play like your EC's and MCAT scores.

I would still take off a year if I were you. If you have a 3.4 GPA, you need to do well on the MCAT. Additionally, you need to have strong extracurriculars to compenstate as well and "wow" the admissions. Plus many medical schools these days favor kids who have taken a year or two off (b/c of the experience as well as maturity gained at this time).