ARCOM review 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharp-Place4517

Reaction score
I just want to post a review about ARCOM. I am currently a second year. I have spent a lot of time with faculty, staff, and upperclassmen. I used to love this school a lot. This school just keeps going downhill year after year, it's sad. We have lost quite a few professors and will lose a few more pretty soon that are absolutely amazing people. It's sad, the faculty for the most part are great. It's the organization that is sad. The school has been trying to expand so much that it seems like they're forgetting about medical students. Our board pass rates are absolutely horrendous and I have heard that the class above us is doing even worse. They seem to think that the problem is just that students are not doing enough board questions. However, it's the curriculum. Guest professors don't teach relevant board material. Pharm professors are absolutely terrible and we all have to learn board related stuff through third party materials (sketchy/First Aid). If they did not curve or drop questions every single exam, More than a quarter of the class would easily fail. Shoot, a quarter of the first year class (class size 160) did fail the main class and took a remediation exam and somehow only 2 had to remediate. A school shouldn't think that dropping questions every exam helps students, it gives them a false sense of security. I'm a student that has done well my entire med school career and when it comes to board questions, I feel absolutely terrible. My pharm knowledge is horrible and have learned that I am able to graduate medical school without learning pharm because they drop all of the pharm questions. Even with spending hardly anytime on pharm, I still do well because they drop that many questions. I regret coming to the school and receiving the education that I have. I love the faculty and staff here but the organization of the curriculum could focus a lot more on board relevant material. We have a lot of "useless" filler lectures.

Some pros of the school: OMM department. They teach clinically relevant OMM and teaches realistic techniques that you will use in the real world. None of the voodoo crap that other schools teach. Faculty and staff are for the most part, really friendly and helpful. I have loved becoming close with them. One of them also just became the assistant dean of preclinical medicine and he's amazing. I'm hoping he will really turn the curriculum around. I truly believe that if Dr Ziegler and Nagra had more control of the specific content that professors were teaching, and make it board focused, the school would 1000% be better. Those two are amazing and they need to teach our entire 2nd year. If they did, no one would fail boards.

The school does has its pros but as of now, the cons are definitely outweighing them. It's sad but true. If I think of more specific things, I will definitely be posting them in the comments. I truly believe that I could not get tell anyone to come to ARCOM for their education. They would receive a much better one elsewhere. However, if it is the only place they are accepted to then go of course, they will still become a doctor. However, if they had to choose between two places, definitely consider other options. It's sad because I pushed a friend to come to ARCOM who is now a first year.

1676126885348.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
1st mistake was believing the school is supposed to teach you anything board related. 2nd mistake was assuming your school was anything but a general structured environment for students to self study medicine.

Brutal truth time: at a DO school like ARCOM the bottom quartile of matriculants are academically borderline with whether or not they can academically handle medicine. Some can, many can’t and fail. A pass rate of 88% is about right for a school like ARCOM with the kind of students that get admitted.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1st mistake was believing the school is supposed to teach you anything board related. 2nd mistake was assuming your school was anything but a general structured environment for students to self study medicine.

Brutal truth time: at a DO school like ARCOM the bottom quartile of matriculants are academically borderline with whether or not they can academically handle medicine. Some can, many can’t and fail. A pass rate of 88% is about right for a school like ARCOM with the kind of students that get admitted.

Straight truth here. You’ll hear the same complaints about low yield preclinical education no matter where you go. I’ve heard it frequently from students at top MD schools. Medical school is very much on the student. Yeah research, LORs, and some shaky clinical rotations are all a part of the osteopathic experience.

But getting through preclinical and boards is very much on the students, especially when everything you need to know is widely available through third party resources. And a new school set up in nowhere Arkansas is not going to be bursting at the seams with rock star applicants.

The turnover and poor quality of instruction isn’t helpful. But you can’t blame the school for everything. FWIW, I’ve worked with an ARCOM alum who is excellent.

Reactions: 7 users
I went through ARCOM, class of 2022 here, and I was also below average (4th quartile myself). Now, in residency, I can tell you talking to other residents and current students on clinical rotations, I hear the same exact complaints from them. Medical schools don't really teach board relevant materials and exams are always curved at any school. If majority of people are missing a certain number of questions, it is normal for them to drop those questions because it either means those questions were written horribly or they didn't teach them well to you. This is how it works on the USMLE and COMLEX as well. It is only fair, otherwise, many more people would have failed out of medical school for no reason.

In terms of board relevant stuff, this is on you to make sure to complement your study time with extra material like Uworld, First aid, anki, BnB, ect... This should be a given for anybody going to medical school.

My only worry about the school is the fact that many faculty, seem to not wanna stay there. This could be due to many factors, but at the end of the day, it is ultimately admin's duty to do whatever they can to retain faculty. With the school CEO being a lawyer who seems, at times, to think like he is running a business, it can obviously be problematic. Although, a few core faculty that started the school seem to persist like Dr Ziegler, Dr Adjei, Dr Bridges, Dr Hensley, Dr Peterson, Dr deMondesert, Dr Raja, Dr Queeney, Dr Ree, Dr Ryals, etc. This is at least a good thing. It seems like it is always the lower rank faculty members that always leave. Could be a contract/salary/benefit issue to be honest, and they will always leave for better opportunities at other schools unfortunately especially with the fact that the school's location is not particularly attractive to begin with. I do believe eventually faculty members will stabilize as the years go and they eventually hire people that really wanna stay in the area despite everything.

However, in the mean time, keep your head down and keep working hard, I promise you, everything will be alright. Clinical years are 100 times better, and my class and the inaugural class above have proven that despite coming from ARCOM, you can still make it into the residency of your choice even competitive ones. You can succeed out of ARCOM too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I went through ARCOM, class of 2022 here, and I was also below average (4th quartile myself). Now, in residency, I can tell you talking to other residents and current students on clinical rotations, I hear the same exact complaints from them. Medical schools don't really teach board relevant materials and exams are always curved at any school. If majority of people are missing a certain number of questions, it is normal for them to drop those questions because it either means those questions were written horribly or they didn't teach them well to you. This is how it works on the USMLE and COMLEX as well. It is only fair, otherwise, many more people would have failed out of medical school for no reason.

It terms of board relevant stuff, this is on you to make sure to complement your study time with extra material like Uworld, First aid, anki, BnB, ect... This should be a given for any people going to medical school.

My only worry about the school is the fact that many faculty, seem to not wanna stay there. This could be due to many factors, but at the end of the day, it is ultimately admin's duty to do whatever they can to retain faculty. With the school CEO being a lawyer who seems at time to think like he is running a business, it could be problematic. Although, a few core faculty that started the school seem to persist like Dr Ziegler, Dr Adjei, Dr Bridges, Dr Hensley, Dr Peterson, Dr deMondesert, Dr Raja, Dr Queeney, Dr Ree, Dr Ryals, etc. This is at least a good thing. It seems like it is always the lower rank faculty members that always leave. Could be a contract/salary/benefit issue to be honest, and they will always leave for better opportunities at other schools unfortunately especially with the fact that the school's location is not particularly attractive to begin with. I do believe eventually faculty members will stabilize as the years go and they eventually hire people that really wanna stay in the area despite everything.

However, in the mean time, keep your head down and keep working hard, I promise you, everything will be alright. Clinical years are 100 times better, and my class and the inaugural class above have proven that despite coming from ARCOM, you can still make it into the residency of your choice even competitive ones. You can succeed out of ARCOM too.
Hey Thanks for your post. It gives me some comfort as well. However just one little correction.. Dr Bridges is leaving ARCOM which really stinks. Luckily Dr Hensley became the dean of preclinical medicine so hopefully it will get better. But Dr Bridges is definitely a huge hit to the incoming first years

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Hey Thanks for your post. It gives me some comfort as well. However just one little correction.. Dr Bridges is leaving ARCOM which really stinks. Luckily Dr Hensley became the dean of preclinical medicine so hopefully it will get better. But Dr Bridges is definitely a huge hit to the incoming first years
Dang, that's actually gonna be a pretty big loss. I hope they find someone as good as him to take his spot. I truly believed he was one that would never leave ARCOM. That sucks, but it will be alright.

These seem like complaints that most DO schools have, grass is always greener

Meh those pass rates are nothing too terrible, in the end these new schools still give you a chance to be a doctor, and classes before you have proved that. It's the students job to make the most out of the opportunity, pass classes and boards.

You are not alone. A lot of students are frustrated with the system. However, I think the real question for ALL medical schools is why are we paying them so much when we are having to teach ourselves the material through online resources we pay for out of pocket. (Minus the select few professors at med schools that are actually good, ofc)

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
You are not alone. A lot of students are frustrated with the system. However, I think the real question for ALL medical schools is why are we paying them so much when we are having to teach ourselves the material through online resources we pay for out of pocket. (Minus the select few professors at med schools that are actually good, ofc)
We are paying for the degree.. I guess

From a trusted source:
Honestly couldn't recommend ARCOM. I'd consider not attending and waiting out a cycle if possible. Last cycle they accepted one of our students from 2022-2023 cycle for 2022 since they had extra seats left over as well. I've known a few people who have dropped out of ARCOM as well and have not had great experiences with how their administrators act. They act "nice" and pleasant - but I'd suggest reading up on the school and student experience on the internet.

Work harder and achieve more. You got this!

I just want to post a review about ARCOM. I am currently a second year. I have spent a lot of time with faculty, staff, and upperclassmen. I used to love this school a lot. This school just keeps going downhill year after year, it's sad. We have lost quite a few professors and will lose a few more pretty soon that are absolutely amazing people. It's sad, the faculty for the most part are great. It's the organization that is sad. The school has been trying to expand so much that it seems like they're forgetting about medical students. Our board pass rates are absolutely horrendous and I have heard that the class above us is doing even worse. They seem to think that the problem is just that students are not doing enough board questions. However, it's the curriculum. Guest professors don't teach relevant board material. Pharm professors are absolutely terrible and we all have to learn board related stuff through third party materials (sketchy/First Aid). If they did not curve or drop questions every single exam, More than a quarter of the class would easily fail. Shoot, a quarter of the first year class (class size 160) did fail the main class and took a remediation exam and somehow only 2 had to remediate. A school shouldn't think that dropping questions every exam helps students, it gives them a false sense of security. I'm a student that has done well my entire med school career and when it comes to board questions, I feel absolutely terrible. My pharm knowledge is horrible and have learned that I am able to graduate medical school without learning pharm because they drop all of the pharm questions. Even with spending hardly anytime on pharm, I still do well because they drop that many questions. I regret coming to the school and receiving the education that I have. I love the faculty and staff here but the organization of the curriculum could focus a lot more on board relevant material. We have a lot of "useless" filler lectures.

Some pros of the school: OMM department. They teach clinically relevant OMM and teaches realistic techniques that you will use in the real world. None of the voodoo crap that other schools teach. Faculty and staff are for the most part, really friendly and helpful. I have loved becoming close with them. One of them also just became the assistant dean of preclinical medicine and he's amazing. I'm hoping he will really turn the curriculum around. I truly believe that if Dr Ziegler and Nagra had more control of the specific content that professors were teaching, and make it board focused, the school would 1000% be better. Those two are amazing and they need to teach our entire 2nd year. If they did, no one would fail boards.

The school does has its pros but as of now, the cons are definitely outweighing them. It's sad but true. If I think of more specific things, I will definitely be posting them in the comments. I truly believe that I could not get tell anyone to come to ARCOM for their education. They would receive a much better one elsewhere. However, if it is the only place they are accepted to then go of course, they will still become a doctor. However, if they had to choose between two places, definitely consider other options. It's sad because I pushed a friend to come to ARCOM who is now a first year.

View attachment 366032
I spoke to an faculty member that I know to see how they are doing and the current cycle students (OMS3’s) pass rate on Level I is around 88% compared to national average a little over 90%, so seems to be holding steady while national average has fallen somewhat this cycle. Not great, but definitely not “absolutely horrendous“ as you describe.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a trusted source:
Honestly couldn't recommend ARCOM. I'd consider not attending and waiting out a cycle if possible. Last cycle they accepted one of our students from 2022-2023 cycle for 2022 since they had extra seats left over as well. I've known a few people who have dropped out of ARCOM as well and have not had great experiences with how their administrators act. They act "nice" and pleasant - but I'd suggest reading up on the school and student experience on the internet.

Work harder and achieve more. You got this!
"trusted resource" lol that's from MCATbros' DO facebook page. They are so biased and I would not trust them whatsoever. They're telling people to not go to schools they have been accepted to that are very well established schools and telling them to reapply. Ridiculous

Reactions: 1 users
From the things I've heard, a lot of med schools have their own negatives about them. Some schools may have a bit more negatives than others, but honestly it's med school. It's inherently designed to be stressful. The whole medical career is just stressful. At the end of the day, just do your best at whatever med school you're in and if there is something wrong, like any sort of injustice that's being done at your school, feel free to speak up. In regards to ARCOM specifically, I've heard some people have had good experiences and others haven't had good experiences. Everybody's experience is subjective. We can't extrapolate a conclusion and say that this medical school is bad just because. You'd need context, which at least in this thread, we don't really have much. We're just looking at things from the sidelines. Some students could have bad experiences based on their own misfortunes and some students could have had good experiences based on different things they did. There could also be some legitimate areas where ARCOM does need to be criticized. There probably is malignant admin there. That goes without being saying. A lot of med school admin can be like that sometimes. But I don't think saying that people should just not go to ARCOM if that's their only acceptance there. It's not like it's a DO for-profit school or like California Northstate. But your opinion may differ. Choose wherever you wanna go and do whatever you feel like doing. I just feel that wherever you go for med school, you'll definitely find things to complain about.

Reactions: 3 users
Is ARCOM the one associated with NYIT? Because every graduate I've met from there is an atrocious doctor. I'm not saying everyone, just the ones I've met

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
All of us that have been through it understand your frustration. Know that you have a support system. Im a 3rd year, bottom quartile student at ARCOM that passed level 1 and Step 1 on first attempt, please reach out any time. Not many people are good at board questions until you practice them. I wasnt getting many Qs right in January/February but by May/June, I was doing much better (used BnB, Uworld, and trulearn/dirty medicine for OMM). Med school classes not preparing students for board style questions is a common theme. Even my preceptor this block said it was like that 20 years ago in an MD school.

Reactions: 3 users
Is ARCOM the one associated with NYIT? Because every graduate I've met from there is an atrocious doctor. I'm not saying everyone, just the ones I've met

Wait really? That's bad for Arkansas if two of the three medical schools in the state are as bad as people say they are. I shadowed a pathologist that straight up told me not to go to ARCOM if I was accepted there, but I know students there who like it. I know someone really bright from my undergrad that goes to NYIT Jonesboro and seems to really enjoy it.

Wait really? That's bad for Arkansas if two of the three medical schools in the state are as bad as people say they are. I shadowed a pathologist that straight up told me not to go to ARCOM if I was accepted there, but I know students there who like it. I know someone really bright from my undergrad that goes to NYIT Jonesboro and seems to really enjoy it.
Dont worry Walmart is opening a med school in Arkansas

ARCOM hasn't been around that long, like they only have had two classes that graduated from there. How would this pathologist know that much about a school for him to just immediately not recommend it lol? I'm not sure if it's too personal and you don't have to answer if that's the case, but do you live around the area that ARCOM's in? That's the only way I can see how that would be possible as I personally don't think too many people know about ARCOM for it to have any reputation tbh

ARCOM hasn't been around that long, like they only have had two classes that graduated from there. How would this pathologist know that much about a school for him to just immediately not recommend it lol? I'm not sure if it's too personal and you don't have to answer if that's the case, but do you live around the area that ARCOM's in? That's the only way I can see how that would be possible as I personally don't think too many people know about ARCOM for it to have any reputation tbh

This was in Northwest Arkansas during my gap year. ARCOM students would routinely rotate at the hospital I worked at and a couple of docs in the area were ARCOM alum, I don't remember what he based his opinion off of though tbh.

Wait really? That's bad for Arkansas if two of the three medical schools in the state are as bad as people say they are. I shadowed a pathologist that straight up told me not to go to ARCOM if I was accepted there, but I know students there who like it. I know someone really bright from my undergrad that goes

I have yet to hear bad things about NYITCOM.AR Like I've heard about ARCOM

This is just my experience with the only 3 people I've met from there. I could have just had bad luck. I really doubt the school is doing such a terrible job if people are passing boards and matching

Just saw this post about ATSU-SOMA. This is a clear example about how the grass is always greener on the other side. Just remember, it can always be worse. If some of these stuff are true, I'd prefer going to a brand new school before going to ATSU-SOMA.

Come to ATSU-SOMA if you want the following:

✅A new dean almost every year - our previous Dean was in her position for a whopping 11 months

✅A brand new untested curriculum

✅Sudden curriculum changes in the middle of a course

✅High tuition for a curriculum where you essentially teach yourself medicine - when the school was asked why tuition was so high during the COVID-19 lockdown, their response was "Zoom is more expensive than having in-person classes" o m e g a l u l.

✅New faculty hired to replace the massive wave of professors who left the previous year

✅An administration that disregards feedback and complaints from students and even professors - force professors and deans out of their positions because they disagree with policies

✅Take exams that focus on minutiae from PhD professors’ research despite promises to 'teach to the boards' - you also can't review your exams when you get your grade back because they're too lazy to hold feedback sessions.

✅Multiple mandatory 8-hour Kaplan practice exams (which don't even reflect the boards) - you also can't review your exams when you get your grade back

✅Declining board pass rates – 10 students failed COMLEX last year (and board pass rates haven't been published recently 🤔)

✅No board dedicated time – instead go to class up to 5x a week, review OMM material for several hours (because that's more important than anything else), and have school exams up until May. The school expects you to take boards at the end of May (lmao)

✅Being discouraged from taking USMLE step 1 'because primary care residencies don't need it' and 'you're a DO student'

✅Being threatened to take COMLEX level 1 before July 1 or else you have explain yourself to the Student Performance Committee - a negative mark goes onto your MSPE

✅Being forced to do a useless research project in second year on top of clinic, 3 classes, and board studying

✅Being a slave in a clinic in second year – shadow doctors for 8 hours per week for no grade while exams are around the corner

✅Take a useless epidemiology/biostats course for the entirety of second year in which the course contents can be summarized in an email

✅Feeling isolated and having no support from the school in year 2 and beyond

✅Laughable mental health services – being told they can’t help you because they’re unlicensed in your particular state

✅Receive threats of expulsion from the school for 1 poor quiz/exam performance

✅Participate in countless hours of stupid wellness meetings during critical periods (like right before an exam) because "yOuR mEnTaL hEaLtH iS iMpOrTaNt tO uS"

✅Have OMM shoved down your throats by professors who drank the osteopathy Kool-Aid

✅Have insecure rotation spots and living in fear that you may have to rotate 100’s of miles away because the school can't keep their end of the deal. The Texas CHC was shutdown in the midst of the pandemic because the school failed to take the necessary steps to get approved by the state and clinical sites. Luckily it was resolved months later. The NY CHC failed to renew their partnership with NYU Langone for rotation spots. They were forced to partner with Wyckoff Heights Medical Center as a last resort. Not long ago, Wyckoff severed ties with ATSU out of the blue, forcing the 3rd and 4th year students out of their rotations. ATSU considered sending students to other CHC locations across the country, but luckily that was resolved too. Who knows what's next?

✅Participate in meetings upon, meetings upon, meetings upon, meetings upon, meetings upon, meetings upon meetings

✅Have fear instilled in you and then participate in meetings about "speaking up" - those that actually speak up then sit in front a council for unprofessionalism

✅Being forced to move up to 3 times in less than 2 years with no support from the school - some students are paying 2 leases in very expensive cities (some have to take private loans to cover the cost of living)

✅Potentially live in poverty because the school will not adjust loans based on the cost-of-living and inflation. Imagine maxing out your loans, any only getting ~$35k to live in a major city like Chicago or NYC where annual rent cost is upwards of $30k.

✅Being forced to enroll in the school's crappy health insurance plan with ridiculous co-pays in 3rd and 4th year because "Medicaid doesn't provide enough coverage" and "Medicaid doesn't cross state-lines." The school insurance actually excludes mental health coverage (l m a o) which Medicaid covers (and a lot more). Here's a kicker - the school's insurance plan doesn't cover abortion unless it was due to rape or incest. That's just one of the asinine exclusions that the insurance plan has. The majority of students plan on doing their away rotations in a state where their Medicaid plan is valid, however the school still won't accept it for reasons unknown. For those who are actually going out-of-state for away rotations, the school forbids temporary coverage for those weeks. It's another $4000 per year going into the school's pockets on top of your increasing tuition fees.

✅Being forced to take a poorly written practice exam that has a notoriously bad predictive value just 2 weeks into your limited "dedicated" time (the few quiet weeks in May when the school finally leaves us the f**k alone). Just as you're about to take COMSAE you receive threats of expulsion for failing. This is straight from Dr. Coty:

Ironic that this is coming from a man who holds a PhD in anatomy and has never taken a medical board exam in his life. How is he responsible for ensuring that we pass the boards? His policies are so stupid that LECOM Bradenton (his former school in which he utterly sabotaged) made a website dedicated to his stupidity. You can read about it here: LECOM-a-SUTRA (Search results for: coty) (tumblr.com)

Some highlights from the previous year's thread:

Some gems from reddit:​

Do yourself a favor and don't come here.

ATSU leadership should be embarrassed.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

In terms of board relevant stuff, this is on you to make sure to complement your study time with extra material like Uworld, First aid, anki, BnB, ect... This should be a given for anybody going to medical school.

My only worry about the school is the fact that many faculty, seem to not wanna stay there. This could be due to many factors, but at the end of the day, it is ultimately admin's duty to do whatever they can to retain faculty. With the school CEO being a lawyer who seems, at times, to think like he is running a business, it can obviously be problematic. Although, a few core faculty that started the school seem to persist like Dr Ziegler, Dr Adjei, Dr Bridges, Dr Hensley, Dr Peterson, Dr deMondesert, Dr Raja, Dr Queeney, Dr Ree, Dr Ryals, etc. This is at least a good thing. It seems like it is always the lower rank faculty members that always leave. Could be a contract/salary/benefit issue to be honest, and they will always leave for better opportunities at other schools unfortunately especially with the fact that the school's location is not particularly attractive to begin with. I do believe eventually faculty members will stabilize as the years go and they eventually hire people that really wanna stay in the area despite everything.

Would you be willing to DM me? I have some questions about ARCOM.

Just saw this post about ATSU-SOMA. This is a clear example about how the grass is always greener on the other side. Just remember, it can always be worse. If some of these stuff are true, I'd prefer going to a brand new school before going to ATSU-SOMA.

That's... a lot.

I remember my SOMA interview. Even then I got the impression that the program really struggled with the concept of what a medical school was supposed to be in the first world. But I didn't expect it to struggle this badly.

Well anyways I guess what's a 6 month bump lol.